my fitness/weight loss thread

no... why? Should I? That sounds like a lot of work.

I have an app on my phone. But I am really following the menu that the people at curves gave me. She told me it was based on 1,200 calories and that after 2 weeks they raise it to 1,500.

I am also working on eating healthier.

Fruits and veggies everyday.

I'm rather concerned that you are on 1200 calories with your weight OP. You are going to be really skinny at this rate

I'm rather concerned that you are on 1200 calories with your weight OP. You are going to be really skinny at this rate

I lose weigh ton 2000 with an hour cardio.............

And I would be 110 lbs in no time, on 1200 cals, not to mention i would feel like I am starving...

I have done a LOT of research on the matter of weight loss, and what is and is not healthy for different body types,.

Ideally, people who are 116 lbs, should maintain on 2000 cals - if u reach 116 lbs, and HAVE to keep eating 1200 cals to maintain it - it is a sig that your metabolism is in starvation mode, because it thinks you ARE starving.

Look, there is chance you " naturally thin:" or " very small boned"... but it is only a 2% chance your BMI should " naturally" be below 20.

About 30 % of women who get below a BMI of 20, which you are heading for, will get an eating disorder.

about 70% of women who get below a BMI of 21, which is 124 ish lbs at my height of 5 ; 5, will supress their metabolisms.

Meaning, they have to eat less than average to maintain their slim weights.

They will age, and have to eat 1000 calories just to maintain their sub 20

Just have a think about losing weight. I think 124 is a slim weight for most 5 ' 5 women. Being skinny fat can hide the slimness, but if you are active ad FIT, u would look slender already...

I think your already AT a slim weight, and should focus on your fitness.

Why the desire to have to lose weight when your already slimmer than normal?

BY the way -Naturally thin people do not have to lose weight, they typcially need more than average calories to maintain their slim weight....

I have done a lot of research on this issue. There is a grey area, where many women with NO genes for eating disorders, can be 120 lbs and 5 ' 5, and still be releticaly healthy: but ideally, their bodies would naturall dictate that they are heavier... so it is not 100%^ ideal, yet not " unhealthy".

If your eating 1200 to lose, make sure you can eat AT LEAST 1600 to maintain...... and with exercise, eat 2000 ish if your burning 500 cals.

If you reach 116 lbs, and gain weight if you eat moer than 1600 cals, your body is clearly not supposed to be that thin.

I wish you luck on your mission to lose weight, I hope your doing it for the right reasons; to be fit and healthy, and to look good and feel confident in the way you look.

• Author
eleanorhurting

Thanks for your concerns!

I do feel 1,200 is low so I can't wait for it to go up to 1,500.

I adjusted my goal to 118 at the suggestion of my coach at curves. Most people who know me well and who have seen me go from my 113 low to my 128 high agree that 118-120 is where I look my best.

I have a pretty small frame with a really big butt and thighs. So when I put on weight you can see it very easily. I am actually a size 4 or 6 because of my big butt and legs.

Its funny you say that about exercise because I have never felt that doing exercise alone helped me very much! Last Christmas i bought a groupon for 12 spinning/zumba classes and I did 11 in 1 month and lost absolutely no weight.

When I have been at the 115-120 range I have actually maintained it by eating mindfully and not really having to starve myself. When I gained weight I did it throughout first and 2nd year of medical school and it was a slow process that came with consistently eating badly. I started eating out very often, rewarding myself every time I would get out of a test, pigging out on candy when I got stressed (I remember one time for a specific test I bought 2 bags of halloween/Autumn candy corns and ate them in like 2 days locked up in my room studying). I also absolutely did NO exercise during this time. I also started drinking more than I ever did. Having 2 margaritas at chilis during lunch was absolutely normal to me. It was not the best of times and this is why I am here now.

There is a picture of how I look now and how I looked when I was more fit and skinny at the beginning of the thread

Its funny you say that about exercise because I have never felt that doing exercise alone helped me very much! Last Christmas i bought a groupon for 12 spinning/zumba classes and I did 11 in 1 month and lost absolutely no weight.

Those classes don't really count as proper exercise, Zumba is a fad.

There is a picture of how I look now and how I looked when I was more fit and skinny at the beginning of the thread

You look healthier and more womanly in the second photo in my opinion. Much more like a girl in the first one.

I am glad you did not get all defesive! A LOT of women want to be a size 2, and have their heart set on being about 115 lbs, and sure as hell will NOT listen when people suggest that it MIGHT not be their ideal weight.

Look, I am a size 4 and a 6 sometimes, I have a curvy body type and a huge butt too:) Well ok, not huge, but definately a bubble butt! Minus the large thighs, though, ( I have D cups instead)

I did not have to starve myself at 110 lbs even.... I ate about 1800 - 2200 depending on how much I worked out.

Futthermore, at 54 kilos, which is about 118 lbs, everyone said I looked great too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The thing is, after studying the issue a lot, I realized 55 kilos or HIGHER is where my body should be

Looking healthy, and ot having to starve yourself to maintain it, is unfortunately NOT an indicator that your a healthy weight for your body type.

That said, you have been warned! IF you get to your goal of about 54 kilos, and you want to keep on losing and losing, watch out! It is a HUGE sign of an eating disorder, if you reach a slim weight and yet it is never good enough!

I am aiming for about 56 kilos, or about 122 lbs. I am curvy with a medium build, I am by no means petite, but I do look thin at 120 lbs.

I got an ED when I got to 54 kilos and had this drive to keep losing weight.

Only about 4% of allwomen are naturally BMI of 20. However, a lot of women like to be thin and fit, so they exercise a lot and eat healthily; a naturally thin women eats more than average to maitain her slim BMI of 20, where as MOST WOMEN that are BMI 20, are so because they excersise a little extra, and eat average or low amounts.

Only about 30% of us have the genes for an eating disorder; the disorder is triggered, if your the 96% of women who are NOT naturally BMI 20, than you ca get an ED if you have the genes ( aka, 30%).

Look, MOST people will tell you that you look totally great at 120 lbs or less! People told me I looked good at 110! People LIKE thinness, generally. I was not emaciated at 110 lbs, but I WAS very thin. My hair fell out. Even though I did not starve myself and ate at least 1800 cals, and even though NO ONE told me I was too thin.

From having had an eating disorder, just a final word of warning: people WILL NOT tell you you look too thin, and if you have the genes for an ED, you CAN get an ED easily if you lose to BMI of 20. People will say you look good, and no one will tell you your in trouble.

................ I think 118 is the absolute minimum, even for a small framed women. Good luck with it all, I am not going to post in here I avce decided, it is too close to home for me: I got anorexia from going to a womens gym, and reaching118 lbs and then wanting to lose more and more from that stage.

PLEASE - make SURE you can maintain 118 lbs on at LEAST 2000 cals when active, and no less than 1800 when inactive.

Sorry, but your metabolism will definately be supressed if you casn only maintasin 118 lbs, on 1600 orless lbs. PEOPLE HERE DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS.

People on here will tell you 1600 cals is OK................

I have had A LOT of experience with women and eating disorders, and dealt with a lot of cases of supressed metabolisms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really, if you cannot maintain on at LEAST 1800 cals sedentary, and 2000 with exercise - I would raise your weight to 120 lb, or even 124 lbs......

Maintaining on 1600 or less is a guaranteed sign your supressing your metabolism: because BMI of 20 or less is " thin" and only 4% of women ARE naturally BMI 20 or lower.....

The women whose bodies are naturally healthy and supposed to be at BMI 20 or lower, eat more than average and have to eat a lot to maintain their naturally petite frame........

Where as non naturally thin women ( 96% of us) have to eat normasl amounts with extra exercise, or low amounts, to maintain...

.........Having to eat 1600 or even 1700 at a BMI of 20 or less, says that your NOT one of those naturally thin women, who has to eat a lotj ust to maintain their slim weight: it says your ONLY that thin because you do not eat that much.

I do not believe the guidelines are always correct; they told me that 1600 ish was enough to maintain a slimmer weight. BAsically: naturally thin oeople EAT A LOT because they are naturally thiin with fast metabolisms.......... If you have to eat little to maintai, maybe your body would do better eating 2000 cals with exericse, and being THAT weight?

I have tried to warn you about possible problems, youi should be fine though, you sound clever and I am sure you will avoid trouble, it does not sound like you want to be sick just to be thin!

Again, good luck with it all:)

• Like 1
  • Author
eleanorhurting

well I have had two "bad eating" days where Im sure I actually have eaten closer to 1,500-1,600.

I cheated twice!

Friday and today

Yesterday:

Breakfast:

Integral bread with peanut butter

string cheese

Snack:

Fiber one bar

Lunch:

A small piece of chicken lasagna and a banana

Snack:

non-fat strawberry yogurt (70 calorie pack)

Dinner:

Potato salad and spinach salad, mushrooms and a VERY large glass of wine which I'm sure counts for 2 glasses(or at least 8 oz)

Today:

Breakfast:

Integral bread with peanut butter and a banana

Snack:

Fiber one bar

Lunch:

half a crab salad and 8 pieces of spicy salmon sushi roll

Snack: (this is the very bad part)

A piece of cake.

Yes I ate cake it was bad. It had been there for like 3 days staring at me and I gave in. It was a small portion but I'm sure it was completely sugary and fattening but it tasted delicious.

Dinner:

A lean pocket and a side of spinach with balsamic vinegar.

I went to curves today and did my workout.

I am going to have to be extra good tomorrow!

• Like 1

Wow, diet's much improved!

Where's the fruit, monkey?

Or are you on some kind of low-sugar diet.

Can you substitute the Fiber One bar for a piece of fruit?

Or rather, would you like to?

I see you're eating bananas which is great. Do you like any other fruits? The great thing about fruit is that its low calorie, high in fiber, potassium and other essential vitamins.

The more fruit you eat, the more full you'll feel. Like, today with my whole grain cereal, I added strawberries and bluberries. Then after I had a tuna fish sandwhich for lunch, I had some watermelon. Then later before dinner I ate an apple.

I still crave bad carbs like potato chips, pretzels and corn chips but anytime I get a bad-carb craving I now reach for a piece of fruit.

But you're making great progress, so keep it up! :)

• Author
eleanorhurting
Wow, diet's much improved!

Where's the fruit, monkey?

Or are you on some kind of low-sugar diet.

Can you substitute the Fiber One bar for a piece of fruit?

Or rather, would you like to?

Thank you I am trying! I actually feel really good. I have been studying for my Internal Med exam and I am not even binging on coffee. I think I have more energy from eating well, exercising and sleeping 8-9 hours every day.

I had a banana with my breakfast I usually have a fruit either with breakfast or snack.

I LOVE fiber one bars but my coach also suggested I drop them.

I really hope I drop at least one pound for my next weigh in because if not shes going to blame it all on that piece of cake and those fiber one bars!

• Like 1
  • Author
eleanorhurting
I don't believe you ate a banana.

You're right I have eaten several over the past few days

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
eleanorhurting

Ever since I started eating 1,500 calories my weight loss kind of stopped. I lost 1 pound last week. I thought that was good but for the curves lady that was little (i wanted to hit her).

Maybe i didn't even lose a pound maybe it was a fluke.

I have been cheating on my diet. I cheat like twice a week. For example, last week I went to dinner at a friends house and I shared a desert with my boyfriend and had a glass of wine. Then saturday i went to a bachelorette party and again i had sangria and I had cake. But the other 5 days of the week I have been eating 1,500 calories and last week I went to curves and did my 30 minute work out 4 times plus I walked 30 minutes each day I did not go.

Maybe I need to work out more? Adjust more? Not cheat? I wish I could NOT cheat. But I'm going to a wedding on Saturday and I am not going to NOT eat and drink. The point of this "diet" is that I am trying to make lifestyle changes I can maintian. I feel pretty comfortable now eating 1,500 calories and eating fruits and veggies and not eating candy, anything fried, etc. I feel like I have improved a lot.

But I wonder if the place I am at is a place to maintain my weight and not a place to keep losing.

I don't mind losing very slowly if it means having a lifestyle I can sustain longterm vs. losing quickly by making irrealistic sacrifices thatI would never be able to maintain and then gain it back.

I was thinking of adding another workout this week or two to make up for the wedding. Its not like im planning on pigging out but its my friends wedding im not going to deprive myself of having champagne or eating a little piece of cake.

I am a little confused.

It’s great that your diet is improving. I’m sure you feel healthier.

Are you in your mid twenties? It may be that your metabolism is changing and it’s going to be difficult to be as thin as you were a year or two ago. You aren’t overweight, so you may be trying to get too low for your body (even if you used to weigh less), which means you’d basically have to eat very little to achieve this, and this isn’t realistic.

How strenuous are the workouts at curves? I’m not familiar with them. Are you completely exhausted afterwards?

• Author
eleanorhurting
It’s great that your diet is improving. I’m sure you feel healthier.

Are you in your mid twenties? It may be that your metabolism is changing and it’s going to be difficult to be as thin as you were a year or two ago. You aren’t overweight, so you may be trying to get too low for your body (even if you used to weigh less), which means you’d basically have to eat very little to achieve this, and this isn’t realistic.

How strenuous are the workouts at curves? I’m not familiar with them. Are you completely exhausted afterwards?

I am 25. The workouts are not strenous at all. They are only half an hour. I am trying to reach and in between weight from how much I used to weight before I entered medical school (113) and my heaviest (128). So if I could reach 118-110 I will be happy.

I do feel so much healthier! I can't even explain it!

• Like 1
I am 25. The workouts are not strenous at all. They are only half an hour. I am trying to reach and in between weight from how much I used to weight before I entered medical school (113) and my heaviest (128). So if I could reach 118-110 I will be happy.

I do feel so much healthier! I can't even explain it!

I think you have the answer to why you're not losing as much as you would like!

• Author
eleanorhurting
I think you have the answer to why you're not losing as much as you would like!

Do you think I need to add more intense workouts?

I was thinking of doing spinning once a week in addition to the curves workouts

my problem with intense workouts is that more than twice in my life I have signed up for the gym over Christmas or summer break and worked out very hard to lose absolutely no weight whatsoever. I bought a 12 spinning class groupon last Christmas and I used it over 1 month and lost no weight. It did wonders for my butt though.

I'm starting to become one of those people who thinks diet is way more important than exercise. But maybe you are right maybe I do need to take up the intensity with the workouts.

Do you think I need to add more intense workouts?

I was thinking of doing spinning once a week in addition to the curves workouts

my problem with intense workouts is that more than twice in my life I have signed up for the gym over Christmas or summer break and worked out very hard to lose absolutely no weight whatsoever. I bought a 12 spinning class groupon last Christmas and I used it over 1 month and lost no weight. It did wonders for my butt though.

I'm starting to become one of those people who thinks diet is way more important than exercise. But maybe you are right maybe I do need to take up the intensity with the workouts.

Yes, I definitely think you need more intense workouts. It kind of sounds like you're wasting your time with wimpy workouts.:o

One month is not long enough to see major results from a workout regimen; you'll see some, sure. Your butt looked great because you gained muscle, which is probably why you weren't losing weight.

Try a combo of strength training and cardio. Spinning is a good idea, if that's what you enjoy. It would be better to have a more intense workout more than once a week though.

Diet is very important, but you don't get a great butt from it. You really need both, especially as you get older (I know you're still young).

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • Author
eleanorhurting

So for the past two months I have been eating noticeably less than I used to and less than pretty much anyone around me. I am also one of the few people who I go to school with who is wasting her time that I could be using to study or to rest working out and I have seen VERY little results.

So what do I have to do? starve myself? People already think I have an eating disorder as is because I am always preoccupied with how many calories food has, I always bring lunch to the hospital instead of eating in the cafeteria, etc.

I am starting to think my body just does not want to lose weight.

I am dropping out of curves. I am so tired of waking up and literally crying when I see that somehow I gained a pound back on the day of my weight in. I have so many other things to stress about this is just not one of them that is worth it.

I guess I will never be skinny again

So for the past two months I have been eating noticeably less than I used to and less than pretty much anyone around me. I am also one of the few people who I go to school with who is wasting her time that I could be using to study or to rest working out and I have seen VERY little results.

So what do I have to do? starve myself? People already think I have an eating disorder as is because I am always preoccupied with how many calories food has, I always bring lunch to the hospital instead of eating in the cafeteria, etc.

I am starting to think my body just does not want to lose weight.

I am dropping out of curves. I am so tired of waking up and literally crying when I see that somehow I gained a pound back on the day of my weight in. I have so many other things to stress about this is just not one of them that is worth it.

I guess I will never be skinny again

If you gained a pound back in one day, that means that you are eating above your maintenance calories and this requires evaluation on your part. Are you getting enough protein? are you lifting weights? because if you don't have any muscle underneath all that fat, you won't look very defined. Unless that's ok with you?.

Anyway, I'm going to mention something that's going to save your life. it's called "Intermittent fasting". You have a feeding window (preferably when you get home) of about 6-8 hours, where you get in all your calories. It's extremely useful for weight loss and allows you to go to bed in the "fed" state. You'll feel a lot better and you won't have to worry about travelling with food. When you get home, you get in all your calories then and I'll bet that you would struggle to even reach your targets in such amount of time. I guarantee that you'll be full though. Hit your protein requirements 1st and foremost and then fill the rest of the calories with whatever you please. Calories in vs calories out. Lb a week is a steady target, go for it!

Edit- Be careful of water fluctuations. scales can't accurately account for this and often cause confusion with people who track their weight. Go by the mirror!.

Edited by Titanwolf
  • Author
eleanorhurting
If you gained a pound back in one day, that means that you are eating above your maintenance calories and this requires evaluation on your part. Are you getting enough protein? are you lifting weights? because if you don't have any muscle underneath all that fat, you won't look very defined. Unless that's ok with you?.

Anyway, I'm going to mention something that's going to save your life. it's called "Intermittent fasting". You have a feeding window (preferably when you get home) of about 6-8 hours, where you get in all your calories. It's extremely useful for weight loss and allows you to go to bed in the "fed" state. You'll feel a lot better and you won't have to worry about travelling with food. When you get home, you get in all your calories then and I'll bet that you would struggle to even reach your targets in such amount of time. I guarantee that you'll be full though. Hit your protein requirements 1st and foremost and then fill the rest of the calories with whatever you please. Calories in vs calories out. Lb a week is a steady target, go for it!

Edit- Be careful of water fluctuations. scales can't accurately account for this and often cause confusion with people who track their weight. Go by the mirror!.

I am 5'5 and 123 pounds and I usually eat between 1,300 and 1,700 calories a day. I was under the impression that 1,650 was what I burn on a day to day basis so I thought that by eating less than that most days of the week plus working out I would be able to lose weight without starving myself but I was obviously wrong. I usually go over that 1 day a week which I call my cheat day and maybe I will eat 2,000ish. I don't lift weights but I go to spinning and I do zumba and I do the curves workouts so I work out like 3 times a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Thanks for the recommendations I will keep that in mind

Edited by eleanorhurting
I am 5'5 and 123 pounds and I usually eat between 1,300 and 1,700 calories a day. I was under the impression that 1,650 was what I burn on a day to day basis so I thought that by eating less than that most days of the week plus working out I would be able to lose weight without starving myself but I was obviously wrong. I usually go over that 1 day a week which I call my cheat day and maybe I will eat 2,000ish. I don't lift weights but I go to spinning and I do zumba and I do the curves workouts so I work out like 3 times a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Thanks for the recommendations I will keep that in mind

I have your maintenance down at just over 2k calories, so eating 2k on a weekend isn't cheating :p. What's your current activity level? sedentary, light, moderate...

1300 would be on the low side, esp combining that with your extra activity. I'd advise you to consistently consume 1600 every day, making sure you get at least 90-100 grams of protein in a day (that's really nothing). If you were to gain some muscle, you would still be able to lose weight simultaneously (as people do, when they've never weight trained before) like a body re composition if you will. The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn at rest. It would be HIGHLY beneficial to begin doing compound exercises (bench press, dead lift, squat etc).

Edit- I got your age, so yeah. Your maintenance is around 2000 cal. Even if you were 40, your maintenance would still be around 1900 calories. Metabolism doesn't have as big an impact as people think. When you reach 40, lower it by 100 cals.

Edited by Titanwolf