who will you worship God or Satan?

• Author
black_shemer

what should move me to believe that God do exist?and move me to serve only to Him?

everlasting life?

life in a peaceful new world?

hope of Resurrection?

NO.

Those are just rewards that one will receive for serving Jesus Christ faithfully.

but it is my love for God which is my primary reason why i am serving Him.

(matthew 22:37,38) :)

• Author
black_shemer
I don't have the answers to how ancient writings came to be, and it would be wrong for me to pretend I'm a scholar of theology. My thing, that I like to read about in depth, is psychology. I think that biblical teachings were an early form of psychology. A way of helping people to understand human nature, our weaknesses and the ways in which we self sabotage.

Much of what we learn through study of human beings is quite compatible with religious teachings....but without the magical element or threats of burning for eternity in hellfire/having a blissful afterlife present.

My view about Jesus isn't based on anything but my own speculation. I speculate that he was somebody who was determined to address the brutality of the day, that was justified on the grounds of the Old Testament. He couldn't actively depart from the Old Testament, but he sought new ways of interpreting it. A bringer of enlightenment who was prepared to sacrifice himself to that end.

Maybe one could define a cultural Christian (which is how I tend to see myself as) as somebody who doesn't believe in the magical elements of Christianity (and other biblical teachings), but who regards them as a philosophy...and who believes that there was a man called Jesus who was prepared to sacrifice himself for the sake of bringing a new, more enlightened philosophy to counter the brutality and harshess of the prevailing one of the time. A time when humanity's knowledge of science was so limited and magical explanations for various natural phenomena were readily accepted.

However, that is just my opinion. It's not for me to say there is or isn't a deity in the sky watching over us - and a demon waiting for us below if we mess up. I tend to base my beliefs on balance of probabilities based on the information available. I do think that most human beings have an inherent sense of right and wrong that's based on being possession of empathy and a conscience. That we project those things onto this external, supernatural deity we call God.

Unfortunately over the years some other less positive human feelings/traits have been projected onto the God figure (including hunger for revenge, hatred of some groups who we don't understand or mesh well with, the desire to control others etc) and used as an excuse for various atrocities.

I really appreciate your opinion towards spiritual beliefs.I know you still have hesitation if God really exist watching over us.

God created everything.EVERYTHING.even SATAN.as from the history,Satan is one of His head angels but due to jealousy of God's power, he deceives other angels to change from good to evil and so that's what i believe that happened. my belief

Did you know the antichrist isn't even in the Bible?

Did you know Satan isn't real?

You are not correct. The term antichrist is used four times in the Bible. 1 John 2:18 Children, it is the last hour. As you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. From this we know that it is the last hour.

1 John 2: 21 I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and you know that no lie comes from the truth. Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the christ? This is the anti-christ, the one who denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father; everyone who confesses the Son has the Father also.

The term used in the Bible, specifically the book of Revelation, refers to "The Beast", which is the deceiver who will convince many in the world that he is to be worshiped, and he will speak blasphemies against God. He will come to power and require obedience to him. So the term anti-Christ as used in the Bible refers to more than one person, but the anti-Christ which believers commonly refer to as such is called "The Beast" in the Bible.

As you said, there is no current mathematical formula to prove that Satan exists. There is also no mathematical formula to prove that he doesn't exist. In fact, mathematicians have been trying to prove God's existence for many years, and have come up with the determination that it is far more likely that everything came from creative design rather than through other popular theories, such as "The Big Bang Theory", or evolution. My nephew is an advanced mathematician/statistician by vocation, and he is also a strong believer in Christ. He's done a lot of research on the subject, and has told me that mathematicians are more likely to support the view that everything was created through intelligent design. Mathematicians have proven that, statistically, it is virtually impossible that the universe was created by anything other than creative design.

• Like 1
TaraMaiden
,.....what if time comes, that satan will come and deceive you,what will u do?will u save your body from hunger and death on earth or save your soul to gain the God's promise to us eternal life.

I take it I only have the choice of two?

Why?

I see human beings as a bit of both. There are things we aspire to in order to be better, more enlightened beings. The Godly things. Then there is an animalistic side that is part of us ... and of which we should not be unduly ashamed.

re: Billy Joel, Only the Good Die Young … "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than die with the saints/sinners are much more fun"

I see human beings as a bit of both. There are things we aspire to in order to be better, more enlightened beings. The Godly things. Then there is an animalistic side that is part of us ... and of which we should not be unduly ashamed.

re: Billy Joel, Only the Good Die Young … "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than die with the saints/sinners are much more fun"

The thing is, that you can't worship two gods. You can't have it both ways. You can't aspire to be like God and in obedience to God, and more enlightened, while thinking it's perfectly OK to also give in to your basic animalistic desires that go against God's will, that God has instructed us to resist, because He knows those things are not in our best interests. God offers one way, which He has designed for His creation, and has asked us to reject that which He has deemed as sins of the flesh--indulging the flesh in a way that compromises us.

To me, giving in to our animalistic nature is not what is fun. I don't see anything fun in becoming stoned and doing something stupid, or drunk and feeling incredibly lousy afterwards, or have sex with random people that are meaningless. There are infinitely more fun and enjoyable things to do that don't involve giving in to our animalistic nature. Going for a sailboat ride in the ocean. Going dancing, dining or some place special with a special person. Playing sports or watching gifted athletes at their peak. So many fun things to do that don't involve giving in to our animalistic nature. What some people deem as having fun (drugs, drinking yourself into a stupor, or having random sex with meaningless people) is not God's will and is not something we should embrace. At least not if you are a follower of God, but even if you aren't, I wouldn't consider those things to be of any value or enjoyment, and I can think of a lot more enjoyable things to do that do not involve sin against God. You really can't have it both ways and call yourself a follower of God, but reject His wishes.

• Like 1
The thing is, that you can't worship two gods. You can't have it both ways. You can't aspire to be like God and in obedience to God, and more enlightened, while thinking it's perfectly OK to also give in to your basic animalistic desires that go against God's will, that God has instructed us to resist, because He knows those things are not in our best interests. God offers one way, which He has designed for His creation, and has asked us to reject that which He has deemed as sins of the flesh--indulging the flesh in a way that compromises us.

To me, giving in to our animalistic nature is not what is fun. I don't see anything fun in becoming stoned and doing something stupid, or drunk and feeling incredibly lousy afterwards, or have sex with random people that are meaningless. There are infinitely more fun and enjoyable things to do that don't involve giving in to our animalistic nature. Going for a sailboat ride in the ocean. Going dancing, dining or some place special with a special person. Playing sports or watching gifted athletes at their peak. So many fun things to do that don't involve giving in to our animalistic nature. What some people deem as having fun (drugs, drinking yourself into a stupor, or having random sex with meaningless people) is not God's will and is not something we should embrace. At least not if you are a follower of God, but even if you aren't, I wouldn't consider those things to be of any value or enjoyment, and I can think of a lot more enjoyable things to do that do not involve sin against God. You really can't have it both ways and call yourself a follower of God, but reject His wishes.

some religions have more than one. isn't freedom of religion important?

Oh but you can. Polytheism has existed for a long time in many cultures.

Greek gods

Confucianism

Taoism

Buddhism

Celtic gods and goddesses

Hinduism

Egyptian gods and goddesses

Sun gods and goddesses

I'm sure there are more examples of Polytheistic religions than I've listed here.

some religions have more than one. isn't freedom of religion important?

True, there are some religions, such as Hinduism, that worship more than one god, but since this thread is about Biblical teachings, polytheist religions are not relevant to the thread or my post. And I would agree with you that freedom to chose the religion you follow is important. It's a right we have in the U.S. and most other places. But what I'm saying is that if you chose to follow the Christian faith, for example, and be a believer in the God of the Bible, you are therefore expected to adopt the principles of the faith. It doesn't work to say you're a Christian and think that you can just do your own thing that is against the principles provided in that faith. I mean, if you're not going to adhere to the principles of Christianity, why bother identifying with that faith? It would be meaningless to do so.

• Like 1
True, there are some religions, such as Hinduism, that worship more than one god, but since this thread is about Biblical teachings, polytheist religions are not relevant to the thread or my post. And I would agree with you that freedom to chose the religion you follow is important. It's a right we have in the U.S. and most other places. But what I'm saying is that if you chose to follow the Christian faith, for example, and be a believer in the God of the Bible, you are therefore expected to adopt the principles of the faith. It doesn't work to say you're a Christian and think that you can just do your own thing that is against the principles provided in that faith. I mean, if you're not going to adhere to the principles of Christianity, why bother identifying with that faith? It would be meaningless to do so.

theres different denominations from catholic to protestant to episcopalian and within denominations theres a lot of varitions. some are more conservatve and some less. neither should have a monpoly.

Gulf-Delta

As you said, there is no current mathematical formula to prove that Satan exists. There is also no mathematical formula to prove that he doesn't exist.

And that's where you argument fails. It is the responsibility of the CLAIMANT to prove their claim. You claim Satan exists. Show evidence to support your claim.

The claim that Satan doesn't exist is backed up by it not being perceivable in any way, shape or form.

theres different denominations from catholic to protestant to episcopalian and within denominations theres a lot of varitions. some are more conservatve and some less. neither should have a monpoly.

Yes, there are different denominations in the Christian faith, and they all believe in only one God. They all use the same Bible as the basis for their beliefs. They all have basically the same intepretation of the Bible and its teachings. There are some minor differences in interpretation and practices, but they all share the same core beliefs. Some interpret Biblical teachings in a more conservative way, and some not quite as much, but there isn't a whole lot of difference in core beliefs.

KathyM, while I respect that you are an active Christian, I have to disagree that there is any proof that God or Satan exist. They can't exist because they are fictional characters. They're not real. Heaven and Hell don't exist. They are just supporting details to the story of God and Satan. Every religion creates fictional characters around their story arc to explain the creation of life and rules meant to govern human behavior.

Who creates these stories with characters like God and Satan? People do. And since people need something external to believe in, for Christianity the two poles of Good and Evil are God and Satan. God the creator, and Satan the destroyer. But every culture's religion has a creator and destroyer figure.

I believe in science because you can prove or disprove something. Religion is based on hearsay. The philosophy of religion is to find the answer without having proof but with logical arguments instead.

I was raised Catholic but I just don't believe in the story of Heaven and Hell and God and Satan anymore because it's not plausible to me. Just as I don't believe in the existence of aliens the way Hollywood portrays them like Spielberg's ET.

depens who you ask. some branches are pro choice pro gay marriage etc and others are opposite.

There are a few denominations that have a more liberal view on something than others. Most core beliefs are the same, however. Belief in one God. Belief in Christ as the Son of God. Belief in the resurrection. Belief in the Ten Commandments. Belief in Christ's teachings and the events depicted in the Bible. I don't believe that the few more liberal churches are in keeping with God's will on some points, and have diluted God's word somewhat in order to be more politically correct, but the main core beliefs are the same.

And that's where you argument fails. It is the responsibility of the CLAIMANT to prove their claim. You claim Satan exists. Show evidence to support your claim.

The claim that Satan doesn't exist is backed up by it not being perceivable in any way, shape or form.

As I said, there is no mathematical formula to prove that Satan exists. There is also no mathematical formula that proves that he doesn't exist. Mathematicians/statisticians have worked on trying to prove the existence of God, and they have come up with the probability factor, and have determined that the likelihood that the universe was not made through creative design is infintisimal, but people don't have to take my word for it, they can do their own research on the findings of mathematicians and scientists and come up with their own conclusions on that based on that research. I have enough research to worry about with my homework assignments for school. ;) I am relating what I have been told by people who are mathematicians/statisticians and scholars who have studied this. I could show you written accounts of people I know personally who have witnessed God's miracles in their lives, but I doubt you would believe me, any more than you believe historical witnesses that actually lived at the time of Christ.

So because you say Satan is not perceivable by you, then you refuse to believe it. So be it. I believe in God's existence, I believe there is plenty of proof to satisfy me and many others of His existence, and those that do believe in God and the word of God, do take what is said in the Bible to be the truth, that would make anything said in the Bible as the truth. I accept John's account of what will happen as revealed in the book of Revelation as the inspired word of God.

• Like 1
KathyM, while I respect that you are an active Christian, I have to disagree that there is any proof that God or Satan exist. They can't exist because they are fictional characters. They're not real. Heaven and Hell don't exist. They are just supporting details to the story of God and Satan. Every religion creates fictional characters around their story arc to explain the creation of life and rules meant to govern human behavior.

Who creates these stories with characters like God and Satan? People do. And since people need something external to believe in, for Christianity the two poles of Good and Evil are God and Satan. God the creator, and Satan the destroyer. But every culture's religion has a creator and destroyer figure.

I believe in science because you can prove or disprove something. Religion is based on hearsay. The philosophy of religion is to find the answer without having proof but with logical arguments instead.

I was raised Catholic but I just don't believe in the story of Heaven and Hell and God and Satan anymore because it's not plausible to me. Just as I don't believe in the existence of aliens the way Hollywood portrays them like Spielberg's ET.

I've seen enough proof to know that God exists. I've seen miracles in my own life and that of people I know that can only be explained as answer to prayer. I have enough proof to satisfy me. But I'm sure no matter what I say, the skeptics on here will refuse to believe. I imagine even if you saw a miracle with your own eyes, you would think you were imagining it, hallucinating, or try to explain it away because it's too much to fathom without some measure of faith. There's really no point in arguing about this.

I've seen enough proof to know that God exists. I've seen miracles in my own life and that of people I know that can only be explained as answer to prayer. I have enough proof to satisfy me. But I'm sure no matter what I say, the skeptics on here will refuse to believe. I imagine even if you saw a miracle with your own eyes, you would think you were imagining it, hallucinating, or try to explain it away because it's too much to fathom without some measure of faith. There's really no point in arguing about this.

I don't want to argue with you. That's not my intention. I think it's great that you found security and happiness with your religion. I view religion as a filter one uses to relate to and interact with the world around them. And some people choose other non-religious filters like music, art, science or what have you to help them navigate through the world.

I've had several life changing experiences yet never once did I relate any of those to a Catholic God - since I was raised Catholic. I watched my father's natural death from cancer occur before my eyes, yet I wasn't thinking about God or Heaven and my father was a conservative Catholic who believed in Heaven as a place his soul goes. I don't want to argue with you at all. I understand that you and I have very different filters with which we view the world through. I believe in a God-like energy that created everything. But all the moralistic rules that comes with each religion is created by man, not God, in order to bring order from chaos. I enjoy the Buddhist filter too because I agree with a lot of the Mahayana school of Buddhism because enlightenment is achieved through living a normal life with some spiritual involvement and practice involved. But there is no punishment from a higher being or beings with Buddhsim as there is with organized religions like Catholicism. Any punishment with Buddhism is self-inflicted or created by another person. It's offers a very practical and realistic way to live in the world. There are a lot of parallels between Buddhism and Christianity that I appreciate.

its more than a few unless your in the rural south or midwest. you can say its diluted but others will say your belief is extreme. its same with muslims. you have extreme and moderate.

There's a few denominations that allow/accept more liberal views. Not mainstream Christianity, though. I'm actually more on the moderate to conservative side. Not extreme. If you knew me, you would understand what I mean by that.

• Author
black_shemer

,y many people just cant accept God in their hearts?do they have to use their 5 senses just to prove that something exist?

I don't want to argue with you. That's not my intention. I think it's great that you found security and happiness with your religion. I view religion as a filter one uses to relate to and interact with the world around them. And some people choose other non-religious filters like music, art, science or what have you to help them navigate through the world.

I've had several life changing experiences yet never once did I relate any of those to a Catholic God - since I was raised Catholic. I watched my father's natural death from cancer occur before my eyes, yet I wasn't thinking about God or Heaven and my father was a conservative Catholic who believed in Heaven as a place his soul goes. I don't want to argue with you at all. I understand that you and I have very different filters with which we view the world through. I believe in a God-like energy that created everything. But all the moralistic rules that comes with each religion is created by man, not God, in order to bring order from chaos. I enjoy the Buddhist filter too because I agree with a lot of the Mahayana school of Buddhism because enlightenment is achieved through living a normal life with some spiritual involvement and practice involved. But there is no punishment from a higher being or beings with Buddhsim as there is with organized religions like Catholicism. Any punishment with Buddhism is self-inflicted or created by another person. It's offers a very practical and realistic way to live in the world. There are a lot of parallels between Buddhism and Christianity that I appreciate.

Well, I don't seek a faith because I need some crutch in life or some coping mechanism. I believe it because I accept the accounts of its writers to be true, and because of the testimonies of people I've heard, and the evidence I've seen. I'm not talking about normal life and death experiences. I'm talking about miracles that can only be explained by divine intervention as a result of prayer. I don't consider my belief system to be a filter. It's a belief system, with core beliefs that come from God. Based on God's word, as witnessed, testified to and recorded by prophets and diciples of God.

• Like 1
Well, I don't seek a faith because I need some crutch in life or some coping mechanism. I believe it because I accept the accounts of its writers to be true, and because of the testimonies of people I've heard, and the evidence I've seen. I'm not talking about normal life and death experiences. I'm talking about miracles that can only be explained by divine intervention as a result of prayer. I don't consider my belief system to be a filter. It's a belief system, with core beliefs that come from God. Based on God's word, as witnessed, testified to and recorded by prophets and diciples of God.

The reason I use the word "filter" is because its how we take in information and how we inform our lives' purpose. All incoming information we receive is "filtered" through a lens like a camera lens. By age six, our belief systems are pretty much formed (the basics anyway). So we spend the rest of our lives adding information to our belief system that can enhance it, damage it or change it. So, religion is a filter in that sense. I don't define religion as a crutch or coping mechanism, although many people choose to define religion that way. I think that people's belief systems alter the information taken in to fit the truth as we know it or interpret it to be. And everyone interprets the world based on their belief system, and not everyone has the same belief system. Religion is a mental filter, not a belief system in that sense.

• Like 2

I think both can be fun. Looking at the circles of hell, I think I'd be most at home in limbo....with the occasional day trip to heaven or one of the outer circles of hell.

many people just cant accept God in their hearts?do they have to use their 5 senses just to prove that something exist?

Yes. That's exactly what our senses are for. To be used to process information. To help us make sense of the world around us and to differentiate between that which objectively is (ie because it has satisfied the "senses test") and that which subjectively is. With the latter, we decide that something "is", even if it hasn't passed our senses test, because believing that it exists meets some need.

I would speculate that the God figure meets the emotional need to be loved unconditionally and protected by an all powerful, all-knowing and absolutely just parent figure. There's nothing wrong with that need...but it's not a place from which to debate rationally about what does and what doesn't exist.

,as we all know.we are aware dat we are now on the last days here on earth.as it was written in bible,many false prophets will come and deceives many people to worship satan.from dat time, 666 mark will come and those who refuse to have it cannot buy even sell food,clothes,basc needs dat will lead for him/her to die. Those who have the mark of the beast will be proud they have d mark and dey can buy and sell anything they want.

im afraid to come in this kind of situation.what if time comes, that satan will come and deceive you,what will u do?will u save your body from hunger and death on earth or save your soul to gain the God's promise to us eternal life.

When I emptied the trash on my Windows machine today it said there were 666 (I sh*t you not) items to be deleted; should I live today like it was my last day, burn the computer, or treat it as a coincidence?

• Author
black_shemer

,do u believe that you have brains?have you smell it?taste it?hear it?have you seen it?have you touch it.if were going to use your principle of using 5senses just to prove something exist then we got to conclusion that you have no brain.simple as that.

Do u believe that your mother is really your real mother?have you taste her?have you seen her giving you birth?have you smell her that she is your mother? Again using your principle,we come up to conclusion that the one you are believe is your real mother is not.

thanks anyway for readin my explanation

• Author
black_shemer
When I emptied the trash on my Windows machine today it said there were 666 (I sh*t you not) items to be deleted; should I live today like it was my last day, burn the computer, or treat it as a coincidence?

its your choice not mine.since its not my computer anyway

• Like 1