Could you deal with your sister/daughter/female friend converting to Islam?

Sounds to me like you don't know a heck of a whole lot about Islam, and have bought into anti-Muslim propaganda.

Every faith has its extremists and crazies, including Christianity.

Pretty much sums up my attitude about this.

I like to look at the good of each religion, and the common traits that thread them together. The bad stuff is almost always not at the core of the message, it's usually associated with the "church" or other external force.

Professor X
Salaam BtB,

Yes, I'm quite aware of Islamic marriage rules and I agree 100%.

And it's not surprising that Jewish people in the Islamic Republic of Iran are being watched after asking for passports, when Israel has been pushing for war with Iran. It's a tense situation nowadays.

No-one pushes Iran to build a nuclear bomb (and yes they are, don't give me that nuclear power plant mambo-jumbo, THEY said they are now concentrating the Uranium beyond the needed level for a power plant usage), also, no-one told Iran to publicly announce how they will wipe Israel off the map of the earth, so please, do a tad of research before you poop words out of your arse.

Also, Jewish people in Iran live in mafia like neighbors where they PAY not to get hurt (only because they are Jews). Not only in Iran though, in most of the muslim countries they live in (such as Morocco).

Ross MwcFan
Sounds to me like you don't know a heck of a whole lot about Islam, and have bought into anti-Muslim propaganda.

Every faith has its extremists and crazies, including Christianity.

But the crazies and the bad stuff that you hear about islam, seems to be VERY prevalent in the muslim world.

Oxy Moronovich

LOL @ these people saying Muslims are less violent than Christians. That's like saying the Atlantic has less fish than the Pacific.

I find most of these pro-Muslim people living in the West the biggest hypocrites. They'll say, "Muslims are much more tolerant than Christians." But when I ask them, "If that's the case, why are you living in a predominantly Christian country than a Muslim country?" Then you'll hear crickets chirping. After that, you'll get a plethora of excuses why they're living in Christian countries.

They think Muslims are better than Christians, but they'd much prefer living in a predominantly Christian country than a Muslim one. That just says their entire argument is garbage.

• Like 1
  • Author

CHRISTIANS! So perhaps the title of this thread should be changed to "Would you go apesh*t if a woman you cared about wore a cross and loved Jesus?"

I just hoped for an honest discussion about what Ariadne said and my visceral reaction to it without dragging in Christianity. That whole Islam vs Christianity thing has been done 1000x before. Of course Christianity has it's own problems.

To be honest, my mother still doesn't get it and gets very upset any time I mention going to the mosque or meeting with my sisters, or even the word Allah.

She says, stop it with that Allah!

:(

I'm glad you posted! I got a little bummed out the day after I posted this thinking I might have offended you. You seem like a good person. Do you think your mom is concerned about you because of the negative image of Islam in the country right now or because she doesn't like the values you have embraced?

To me the key word in the question is convert. I question the motives of anyone who would turns their back on their culture, family, and upbringing. In the case of the one muslim convert i know, my roommate who is planning to marry her bf and move to Saudi Arabia, I question her eagerness to give up everything, including her right to drive, to be with a man whose family refuse to acknowledge her very existence, Ina culture which will never fully accept her.

That was basically my thought on the matter too. I always believed the Muslim community in America to be a lot more moderate than it's counterpart in much of the middle east so I was surprised seeing two people with first hand experience say what they did.

This was an interesting thread, thank you everyone who shared opinions and personal experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad you posted! I got a little bummed out the day after I posted this thinking I might have offended you. You seem like a good person. Do you think your mom is concerned about you because of the negative image of Islam in the country right now or because she doesn't like the values you have embraced?

Hi,

Thanks, and no problem.

I guess it's more that people don't know about Islam much and think it's something "bad" because of what you said.

For those interested to know about Islam a little more, here is a beautiful song about the

, where each name corresponds to an attribute of God.

If you are a believer, it will touch your heart.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
I know I couldn't. I read Aridane's comments in this thread and I just don't understand why someone would want to convert to a religion where you're supposed to be killed for straying the second time. Not to mention the attitude towards women and the social consequences of being a Muslim in America nowadays. For a female it seems very self destructive to me, like living with an abusive husband almost. I like to think of myself as a tolerant and open minded person but I also think I would blow a gasket if I found out my sister was converting.

Muslim doesn't have to mean extremist, just like christian doesn't necesarily mean to me what you guys have in the US in ppl like Bush, or in catholicism.

If this happened, i would be more concerned with what her husband's interpretation of Muslim teachings are.

Muslim doesn't have to mean extremist, just like christian doesn't necesarily mean to me what you guys have in the US in ppl like Bush, or in catholicism.

If this happened, i would be more concerned with what her husband's interpretation of Muslim teachings are.

What did President Bush do? First or second?

Professor X
Hi,

Thanks, and no problem.

I guess it's more that people don't know about Islam much and think it's something "bad" because of what you said.

People do you know about islam. It's just that the muslims refuse to acknowledge the imperfection of their religion and if they are being questioned, you will most likely receive a hostile attitude in return. Also, they speak a lot of how much tolerance they got, yet if you will speak bad of their clown prophet, you might get killed for it (as happened in Holland).

And they do preach for extreme behavior, especially in the ME.

• Like 2
People do you know about islam. It's just that the muslims refuse to acknowledge the imperfection of their religion and if they are being questioned, you will most likely receive a hostile attitude in return. Also, they speak a lot of how much tolerance they got, yet if you will speak bad of their clown prophet, you might get killed for it (as happened in Holland).

Haha, imperfection of religion ... this is a nice one.

Why did the Great Schism happen my good man ?

Professor X
Haha, imperfection of religion ... this is a nice one.

Why did the Great Schism happen my good man ?

I'm not christian, I'm not even religious. And I honestly don't care why they split. islam split to, but they derailed it to pure hatred. You do know about the Shia and the Sunni, yes?

And I couldn't find what's funny with religions being imperfect. Do you think they are? Are you muslim?

You do know about the history of Christianity in Europe? Ever heard of this peaceful place called Northern Ireland?

• Like 1
I'm not christian, I'm not even religious. And I honestly don't care why they split. islam split to, but they derailed it to pure hatred. You do know about the Shia and the Sunni, yes?

And I couldn't find what's funny with religions being imperfect. Do you think they are? Are you muslim?

Claiming that a religion or another religion is imperfect is to me one of the most idiotic things ever.

All religions are imperfect and have been proven so throughout their history because man gets involved in them.

Religions get better the less man is involved between the believers and whatever god/gods ppl worship.

That's because man is petty/obnxious/bitter and will often abuse the power they have.

Most if not all religions deal with the afterlife, claiming that what we have now is just an empty shell we disgard before to ascend to an eternity of something.

Ppl have shown themselves capable of doing almost anything to get in the good graces of the deity they are told will control their eternity.

This is what's funny [to me] about calling a religion imperfect.

Shia and Sunni split in muslim religion occured for a different reason than the Great Schism.

The Great Schism happened because of the abuses of what is now the Catholic Church. I could go on and on about it but there are huge differences between Christian Orthodox and the Catholic Church.

For the same abuses, Luther would later split as well.

Shia and Sunni split right after the death of Mahommed and it was't caused by abuses.

Professor X
You do know about the history of Christianity in Europe? Ever heard of this peaceful place called Northern Ireland?

To some degree I know.

Claiming that a religion or another religion is imperfect is to me one of the most idiotic things ever.

All religions are imperfect and have been proven so throughout their history because man gets involved in them.

Religions get better the less man is involved between the believers and whatever god/gods ppl worship.

That's because man is petty/obnxious/bitter and will often abuse the power they have.

Most if not all religions deal with the afterlife, claiming that what we have now is just an empty shell we disgard before to ascend to an eternity of something.

Ppl have shown themselves capable of doing almost anything to get in the good graces of the deity they are told will control their eternity.

This is what's funny [to me] about calling a religion imperfect.

Shia and Sunni split in muslim religion occured for a different reason than the Great Schism.

The Great Schism happened because of the abuses of what is now the Catholic Church. I could go on and on about it but there are huge differences between Christian Orthodox and the Catholic Church.

For the same abuses, Luther would later split as well.

Shia and Sunni split right after the death of Mahommed and it was't caused by abuses.

No religion is perfect. In fact all religions are retarded, but especially islam. At any rate, Christianity came a long way since it was created, islam still stuck where it started for the most part.

And in both cases they split for the same reasons, you wanna call Christians split due to abuse? By all means, but in the button line it's the same reason, power.

I personally don't have an issue with people and their religion, as long as they don't try and force their beliefs not others... last gf I had was Muslim, and the one before that was Jewish... go figure... both were fantastic great girls...

some people like strawberry milkshakes, others like vanilla, so on and so forth... religion is a personal preference and a choice... if you don't like one, then pick another flavor...

No religion is perfect. In fact all religions are retarded, but especially islam. At any rate, Christianity came a long way since it was created, islam still stuck where it started for the most part.

And in both cases they split for the same reasons, you wanna call Christians split due to abuse? By all means, but in the button line it's the same reason, power.

You are oversymplifying it.

ladyabstrused

It's true though really, it seems that they don't like certain questions asked. And the answers are usually one same answer, which doesn't answer to any particular question asked (if you know what I mean). Sighs...I personally feel that religions are just distractions from the truth. There are some similarities in some of the religions in this world.

Sometimes I feel like religions are around because people want power. I'm not all learned about any religion at all..but could there also be a possibility that it all came from one true belief? Which then got pulled and segregated by humans who are power-hungry. Thus the differences. I doubt that there is any religion out there who wants to harm others. If there is, then something's not right there.

Professor X
Sometimes I feel like religions are around because people want power. I'm not all learned about any religion at all..but could there also be a possibility that it all came from one true belief? Which then got pulled and segregated by humans who are power-hungry. Thus the differences. I doubt that there is any religion out there who wants to harm others. If there is, then something's not right there.

There are many similarities and thus it is very likely they all came from the same source - which I believe to be fear. I don't mind if people believe in the existence of a powerful being, but I do mind when their belief is used as a way to control them. Granted, people wanna be led so I suppose it was inevitable, but still, it was twisted a lot by the wrong people.

Personally, I am agnostic.

• Like 1
Professor X
What about ppl forcing their religious belief onto others ?

They should also die. Just lust for power.

Oxy Moronovich

Yes, I know about it. I also know that Christians were persecuted for centuries in Europe, especially by the pagan Roman Empire. I always love how people act as if ancient societies were tolerant long before Christianity. It just shows their ignorance on the subject.

Romans were somewhat tolerant towards other religions, it's just that Christianity was monotheist ... made it simpler to propagate and it became a problem of power.

• Like 1
Professor X
Romans were somewhat tolerant towards other religions, it's just that Christianity was monotheist ... made it simpler to propagate and it became a problem of power.

Not sure how it being monotheist is relevant. It wasn't the only monotheist religion at the time.