Could you deal with your sister/daughter/female friend converting to Islam?

I know I couldn't. I read Aridane's comments in this thread and I just don't understand why someone would want to convert to a religion where you're supposed to be killed for straying the second time. Not to mention the attitude towards women and the social consequences of being a Muslim in America nowadays. For a female it seems very self destructive to me, like living with an abusive husband almost. I like to think of myself as a tolerant and open minded person but I also think I would blow a gasket if I found out my sister was converting.

Sounds to me like you don't know a heck of a whole lot about Islam, and have bought into anti-Muslim propaganda.

Every faith has its extremists and crazies, including Christianity.

• Like 5

OP, what do you know about Islam or even about your own religion? Beside, what SG already mentioned, Don't judge a religion by its followers. In simple words, don't judge a car by its driver. I guess you are getting blinded by the media.

The fact is that Christianity is the bloodiest and most violent of all civilizations in all of history, responsible for millions of deaths inflicted by Christians. The Crusades, arguably the expansion of the Roman Empire, the Reformation, the Inquisition, the African slave trade, the colonial conquests, deaths in WWI and WWII (Hitler was a Christian who waged war on millions of a different faith), ... And moving into more modern times, slaughtering of Rwandans and genocide in Bosnia.

The truth is, ALL religions sometimes use war, violence and terrorism to promote their religious agendas and goals.

And it's not like extreme Christian Americans are all that great when it comes to their treatment and views of women either. Just ask Chris Brown or Rick Santorum.

• Like 2
Sounds to me like you don't know a heck of a whole lot about Islam, and have bought into anti-Muslim propaganda.

Every faith has its extremists and crazies, including Christianity.

He's talking about this

Be careful with that, you know that turning your back on Islam means death.

You can repent only once and be a Muslim again (I'll say duas for you, Inshallah!) but if you turn your back again then there is no forgiveness.

Salam!

I really doubt a Muslim would be spreading anti-Muslim propaganda. Unless she's being very sneaky and trying to warn us to stay away.

Anybody who isn't freaked out by her comments needs to get their head examined.

• Like 2
Citizen Erased
He's talking about this

I really doubt a Muslim would be spreading anti-Muslim propaganda. Unless she's being very sneaky and trying to warn us to stay away.

That's cute, people still take Ariadne seriously. :lmao:

• Like 2
  • Author
The fact is that Christianity is the bloodiest and most violent of all civilizations in all of history, responsible for millions of deaths inflicted by Christians. The Crusades, arguably the expansion of the Roman Empire, the Reformation, the Inquisition, the African slave trade, the colonial conquests, deaths in WWI and WWII (Hitler was a Christian who waged war on millions of a different faith), ... And moving into more modern times, slaughtering of Rwandans and genocide in Bosnia.

The truth is, ALL religions sometimes use war, violence and terrorism to promote their religious agendas and goals.

And it's not like extreme Christian Americans are all that great when it comes to their treatment and views of women either. Just ask Chris Brown or Rick Santorum.

I'd blow a gasket if she started dating Chris Brown or Rick Santorum too. A guy who wants her to not have an abortion even if her health is in danger? No thanks!

Do you have any personal experience you can share? I will admit the only devout Muslim I ran into around here was my Walgreen’s pharmacist who got arrested on terrorism charges.

That's cute' date=' people still take Ariadne seriously. :lmao:[/quote']

It really isn't out of line from what I've read, and what about Kaylan?

And lmao @ the Islam thing. Former Muslim speaking here, with a few friends who still worship Allah...You better make sure you do your wifely duties. And God forbid the relationship hit the rocks, because divorce is HIGHLY frowned upon and rarely happens outside of Muslim families living in the West. Even then its still super rare, and folks end up sticking out a marriage they arent happy in just because they feel obligated to do so. Not fun.

You would be happy if a woman you cared about got herself in a situation like that?

• Like 1
  • Author
Hmm, I wasn't aware that she wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

My mistake.

Even if she wasn't this would be the first time I've seen Kaylan give a totally untrue sarcastic post. Plus it isn't out of line from what I've read elsewhere. This post wasn't mean to be a Christianity Rocks Islam Sucks post, it was meant to see what people thought if a woman they cared about decided to place herself into a situation where she's considered less than, or obligated to have sex with the husband when he wants it. I guess it's just a more sensitive topic than I thought considering someone took the time to start up a parody!

You would be happy if a woman you cared about got herself in a situation like that?

SG, I am impress by your knowledge. OP, I lived & have Muslim friends. The last time when I was in UAE, if I remember correctly, the divorce rate were close to 46 % & increasing. Anyways, do you judge a relationship success & failure based on the divorce rate? It's amazing, the misunderstanding of what we have of other culture is not so different from what others think of us too.

PS: Don't believe everything blindly.

Edited by ffw
  • Like 1
Citizen Erased
I'd blow a gasket if she started dating Chris Brown or Rick Santorum too. A guy who wants her to not have an abortion even if her health is in danger? No thanks!

Do you have any personal experience you can share? I will admit the only devout Muslim I ran into around here was my Walgreen’s pharmacist who got arrested on terrorism charges.

It really isn't out of line from what I've read, and what about Kaylan?

Kaylan is, as always, entitled to their opinion. All I know is that I actually know quite a lot of Muslim people, not just some Walgreen pharmacist, and they're all wonderful people. That's good enough for me. No skin off my nose if people want to worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster, as long as they're happy.

If every Christian, Jew or Muslim took their respective book word for word and applied it to their life, human beings would not exist. The Western world is not perfect, Muslims haven't even touched slightly on the blood that has been shed in the name of Jesus Christ.

• Like 1

I love Muslims. Some of my best friends are Muslims.

I think it would be cool to have a suicide bomber in the family. Something interesting to talk about with dates. "Yeah, my sister is a suicide bomber. She's pretty intense, but nice once you get to know her. You should meet her. You'd get along great."

• Like 1
Citizen Erased

I think it would be cool to have a suicide bomber in the family. Something interesting to talk about with dates. "Yeah, my sister is a suicide bomber. She's pretty intense, but nice once you get to know her. You should meet her. You'd get along great."

:eek::eek::eek:

• Author
SG, I am impress by your knowledge. OP, I lived & have Muslim friends. The last time when I was in UAE, if I remember correctly, the divorce rate were close to 46 % & increasing. Anyways, do you judge a relationship success & failure based on the divorce rate? It's amazing, the misunderstanding of what we have of other culture is not so different from what others think of us too.

PS: Don't believe everything blindly.

It's not about the divorce rate really, it's about attitudes towards women. I welcome any personal input anyone has, are you saying Kaylan's statements are incorrect?

I just read that they locked a woman up in the UAE for 8 months because she had the nerve to report being gang raped to police!

Brisbane rape victim sues UAE luxury hotel - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

• Author
Kaylan is, as always, entitled to their opinion. All I know is that I actually know quite a lot of Muslim people, not just some Walgreen pharmacist, and they're all wonderful people. That's good enough for me. No skin off my nose if people want to worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster, as long as they're happy.

If every Christian, Jew or Muslim took their respective book word for word and applied it to their life, human beings would not exist. The Western world is not perfect, Muslims haven't even touched slightly on the blood that has been shed in the name of Jesus Christ.

I actually agree. I guess it would just strike me as not good if my sister, who was born in and grew up with different values felt the need to throw them away and embrace something that considered her not quite as much. I have little problem with whatever strangers wish to worship or believe in, and I don't think it precludes them from being nice people.

I am honored kind sir! :D

He's talking about this

I didn't believe that someone was going to take his life. Just that it is something that you are not supposed to do.

From Wikipedia:

Apostasy in Islam (Arabic: ارتداد, irtidād or ridda‎) is commonly defined in Islam as the rejection in word or deed of one's former religion (apostasy) by a person who was previously a follower of Islam. The Qur'an itself does not prescribe any earthly punishment for apostasy; Islamic scholarship differs on its punishment, ranging from execution – based on an interpretation of certain hadiths – to no punishment at all as long as they "do not work against the Muslim society or nation."[1] The majority of Muslim scholars hold to the traditional view that apostasy is punishable by death or imprisonment until repentance, at least for adult men of sound mind.

---------

I converted to Islam because I believe the Quran is the word of God, and that Muhammad (SAWS) is the last prophet of God.

:)

It's not about the divorce rate really, it's about attitudes towards women. I welcome any personal input anyone has, are you saying Kaylan's statements are incorrect?

I just read that they locked a woman up in the UAE for 8 months because she had the nerve to report being gang raped to police!

Brisbane rape victim sues UAE luxury hotel - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

OP, people believe what they want to believe in. On the basis of some one's post or one case, I am not going to generalize the whole community.

Also, I don't have time nor in the mood to dig out a case against woman's torture, gang raped & murder which happened in USA.

I didn't believe that someone was going to take his life. Just that it is something that you are not supposed to do.

From Wikipedia:

Apostasy in Islam (Arabic: ارتداد, irtidād or ridda‎) is commonly defined in Islam as the rejection in word or deed of one's former religion (apostasy) by a person who was previously a follower of Islam. The Qur'an itself does not prescribe any earthly punishment for apostasy; Islamic scholarship differs on its punishment, ranging from execution – based on an interpretation of certain hadiths – to no punishment at all as long as they "do not work against the Muslim society or nation."[1] The majority of Muslim scholars hold to the traditional view that apostasy is punishable by death or imprisonment until repentance, at least for adult men of sound mind.

---------

I converted to Islam because I believe the Quran is the word of God, and that Muhammad (SAWS) is the last prophet of God.

:)

Congrulations Aridane for starting this thread (indirect way). I am a student of comparative religion. In Quran, Allah (God in Arabic) clearly said "he can forgive all sins as long you repent in the right way except associating him with any other partner". Also, its much better to quote Quran's verses than wikipedia.

OP, for your general knowledge. No muslim is a muslim if he/she doesn't believe in Jesus christ. Did your friend mention this? Food for thought.

I just don't understand why someone would want to convert to a religion where you're supposed to be killed for straying the second time.

Oh no!

When I said no forgiveness I meant from Allah (SWT), who is the one that forgives.

In his mercy you can repent once and be accepted, but you can't go back and forth, in that case it's hellfire.

I learned this in Islamic studies class and take it to be correct.

I know I couldn't. I read Aridane's comments in this thread and I just don't understand why someone would want to convert to a religion where you're supposed to be killed for straying the second time. Not to mention the attitude towards women and the social consequences of being a Muslim in America nowadays. For a female it seems very self destructive to me, like living with an abusive husband almost. I like to think of myself as a tolerant and open minded person but I also think I would blow a gasket if I found out my sister was converting.

I'm not a religious person but I do know there are fanatics in EVERY religion, not just Islam.

• Like 1
I'm not a religious person but I do know there are fanatics in EVERY religion, not just Islam.

But the Salem witch hunts and the Spanish Inquistion were ok.

The Western world is not perfect, Muslims haven't even touched slightly on the blood that has been shed in the name of Jesus Christ.

So true. In addition, Muslims don't go pointing out all the blood Christians have shed. And yet, any bad thing that's ever committed by someone who happens to be Muslim is blamed on their faith. It's ridiculous.

SG, I am impress by your knowledge.

I educated myself and learned from experience.

CHRISTIANS! So perhaps the title of this thread should be changed to "Would you go apesh*t if a woman you cared about wore a cross and loved Jesus?"

Do you have any personal experience you can share?

Having spent a good percentage of my life in an area of Los Angeles (West LA/BevHills/Brentwood/Westwood) heavily populated by Persian Muslims (many of whom fled Iran in the 80s), and having many as friends, clients, etc., I've found them all to be wonderful people (and damn good looking to boot!) and the antithesis of all of the propaganda spewed about them, particularly with regard to the treatment/independence of women. In fact, while in law school, I'd say over half of the women in my class were Muslim, and the I found the same number of young Muslim women as my opposing counsel after passing the Bar Exam. They also decried the violent acts against the US on 9/11 as though it had been committed against themselves personally. They are a peaceful bunch.

Seriously, the biggest nutjobs (insofar as violence and views of women is concerned) I've ever met were the crazy Bible thumping, Confederate flag-waiving racist Christians back in my small NorCal hometown. Fleeing them to the proverbial arms of a Muslim community in SoCal was refreshing.

P.S. I'm as white as they come, with NW-European ancestry and a Catholic upbringing.

Edited by Star Gazer

I have lived many years in Muslim societies and have many Muslims as friends and family, and I deal with that pretty well :laugh: I also second SG's comments about Christianity, there's really no historical evidence that Islam is more violent than Christianity.

What I'd say generally, though, is that I often find that converts (all converts, not only those to Islam), often tend to take a more literal and unreflective approach to their religion. I think this is because their conversion is such a major part of an identity building exercise (and I don't mean that in a purely negative way), that they often tend to become 'more Catholic than the Pope'. There are tons of stories like that around, and in several of these stories people chill out a bit after a few years because they've then experienced that a literalist interpretation of any faith is simply very challenging to reconcile with reality.

I have lived many years in Muslim societies and have many Muslims as friends and family, and I deal with that pretty well :laugh: I also second SG's comments about Christianity, there's really no historical evidence that Islam is more violent than Christianity.

What I'd say generally, though, is that I often find that converts (all converts, not only those to Islam), often tend to take a more literal and unreflective approach to their religion. I think this is because their conversion is such a major part of an identity building exercise (and I don't mean that in a purely negative way), that they often tend to become 'more Catholic than the Pope'. There are tons of stories like that around, and in several of these stories people chill out a bit after a few years because they've then experienced that a literalist interpretation of any faith is simply very challenging to reconcile with reality.

here is evidence of jihad

http://www.citizenwarrior.com/2010/08/hate-speech.html

Edited by darkmoon