Egojoe......

smokey bear

Can GIG be surmised as "these two people don't have the same goal in mind right now?"

Can the consensus be that it's not working because the goals aren't in alignment?

If so, isn't it better that these two people are not a good match?

IF one person accepts unacceptable behavior - and they take the person back - then you are dealing with settling for unacceptable behavior.

Wait.. What?

So breaking up with someone you no longer have feelings for and no longer want to be with... is unacceptable behavior?

You are always settling if you take someone back? The dumper never learns, grows or matures? They are always going to treat you will unacceptable behavior?

IF one person gets healthy and happy - and doesn't accept the person back with the unacceptable behavior - and EXPECTS someone they date to be decent, loving and kind.

Knowing this, I will call several couples friends of mine that broke up for various reasons and lengths of times and notify them of this fact. Even though they are happily married with kids for 10+ years... They should still start divorce proceedings immediately. Clearly both of them are not / were not healthy and happy and their partner and spouse is not decent, loving or kind and must be treated with unacceptable behavior because their was a break up involved in their courtship.

If we attract what energy we put out there - then why settle for someone who sees us as the option?

Call me crazy... For me, having an interest, dating and being in a relationship with someone is us "courting" each other. If either of us at any point while "courting" each other want to break up, I am perfectly okay with that.

My first dates don't generally consist of me walking down the isle with all our friends and family present, making a vow to each other to till death due us part. I prefer to go through a long "courting" period so her and I have a chance to get to know one another, see if our feelings develop and grow and then decide if this is the person we want to share the rest of our lives with.

The people who I briefly dated that had the "all of nothing" approach and attitude are the ones who I found to be unhealthy, indecent, unloving and unkind.

Edited by gibson

The "unacceptable" part for me is IF I agreed to get back together without understanding what went wrong the first time. IF change isn't obvious - from both sides - then the same result is predictable - someone is likely to be unhappy.

The "unacceptable" part for me is IF I agreed to get back together without understanding what went wrong the first time. IF change isn't obvious - from both sides - then the same result is predictable - someone is likely to be unhappy.

Oh... that is what you meant by "unacceptable".

I agree with you 100%!

Ok so let's use this analogy:

Dumper dumps dumpee because Dumper is no longer IN LOVE.

Dumpee is still IN LOVE with Dumper and will go to great lengths to "woo" the Dumper back.

What is the success rate of such an attempt? IMHO, ZERO! If the Dumper leaves because they don't feel the same way about the Dumpee anymore, it doesn't matter WHAT they do.

Yes, the Dumper may still stay in contact (because they still love that person they are just not IN LOVE anymore). This is the "crutch" analogy (you keep me company while I am still fishing for someone else).

All this leads to is delaying the healing process of Dumpee. We can spin the name however we want to (GIGS, Immaturity, Psycho Ex, etc) but it all comes down to simple logic. LOVE is a FEELING and something that is very difficult to explain or even pin down. It's proven by actions (not words, though words help emphasize the actions).

I keep saying it and I will say it again. Those who are 'IN LOVE' DO NOT BREAKUP (unless there is physical/mental abuse or cheating). So those who are dumped need to accept that the Dumper is no longer IN LOVE. The sooner they come to that conclusion the sooner the healing will begin.

This is why I so adamant about people here using "GIGS" so often. Just call it "IMMATURITY" if you'd like but don't categorize every breakup they've ever had to that or they will never heal and grow as a person.

Cheers!

Edited by CaliGuy

Let's look at a few possibilities:

Two people broke up because one was flirting openly (or cheating) outside the R. IF they get back together and the one flirting (cheating) continues the old behavior - then the two peeps aren't likely to be happy the second time. IF the cheater has changed - understands why the cheating happened - and knows and understands how to never cheat again - then it may work to reconcile. This is dependent upon change.

Same could be said for abuse. Emotional, physical or substance. But IF there's no change - the R is likely to be the same as before.

I don't see that as GIG - I see it as circumstantial - and a need for change. IF I accept the person back without any change and growth (by actions and words that match) - then I should expect the R to be the same as it was before the break up.

• Author

I started this thread as an understanding of people who i was in conflict with.

I DO NOT WANT A DEBATE

Please dont side track the thread,

Its not a thread on debating what gigs is

It was a thread on what your personal experience of gigs is

and what your BRIEF understanding of gigs was.

The people that keep debating about gigs, does that not show that

1) you dont have a clear understanding or you wouldnt be debating, asking questions such as " if so and so does this, is this gigs".

2) your understanding of gigs may not be correct if noone else agree's.

On this site, Wilson, Gibson and I all have the same understanding of gigs, i think EgoJoe is on the same path too.

We do not argue and debate on every thread that mentions GIGS on what the subject is.

Thats 4 people on this site in the same agreement, honestly you made me question myself. I was 100% on what Gigs was and 100% understood it but you's threw my head in tail spin that i thought wait, too much conflict, after thought i said "OK ill ask these people what they think GIGS is"

Ego Joe is the only one who came out with an accurate explaination.

Now what says his his explantion and Wilson and I and Gibson's are correct?

Because we researched it, accurately, in different ways to all come to the same conclusion.

Gibson through watching society and conforming a theory based on pattern. Including his experience in the data

Wilson through Gibsons theory which he applies to his own personal circumstances and learned along the way as it happened and reading my facts behind the theory.

Me, through Gibsons theory, i looked deeper, i needed actual facts to back up the theory and got them.

Ego joe, through Gibsons theory and applying that to his ex's experience, in time he might apply it to his experience too.

So tell me can we all be wrong or could you maybe need to look within yourself and say "ok a lot of conflict is happening im going to see if i may be wrong"

Which is exactly what i done in this thread. You put me in doubt, i walked away and looked at myself to see if i was incorrect, i came back 3-4 days later and i stand by my original convictions.

If you want my opinion.... a person thinks that the grass is greener because they are not getting everything they want out of their relationship. If they come back they are just settling for comfort and are likely to leave again unless they now change what they want out of life and out of a relationship. If you fufilled them to begin with they would have no reason to leave. It is of no fault of the dumpee, they were just not the right match as everyone has different wants and standards in a relationship.

I'd have to put my take on philosorpators opinion, to which I personally disagree to some degree.

If a person hasn't matured enough eg. had strict parents, beliefs, never came out of the eggshell so to speak, will get GIGS sooner or later in relationship.

They chose relationship because of the social standards, safety, comfort and never found a way to satisfy its nature (sexual if you will) through communication with partner. When this gets enoughto take the person breaks out in pursuit of 'true happiness'

to find out at some point of time that an open communcation only (attraction and everything else existed in the first place) can build intimacy and not crazy parties and changing sexual partners.

How many people have repeated patterns in their relationships, being dumped or dumping over the same stuff over and over, it is a tough lesson to learn.

Edited by immitable
I started this thread as an understanding of people who i was in conflict with.

I DO NOT WANT A DEBATE

Please dont side track the thread

So you're saying "I'm right and anyone who does not agree with me is wrong" got it. This is why you don't want a debate because you're focused on a very small percentage of breakups without understanding the true reasons why people leave. If you're only going to focus on the surface you're missing the forest through the trees.

So tell me can we all be wrong or could you maybe need to look within yourself and say "ok a lot of conflict is happening im going to see if i may be wrong"

Which is exactly what i done in this thread. You put me in doubt, i walked away and looked at myself to see if i was incorrect, i came back 3-4 days later and i stand by my original convictions.

You're putting a band-aid on a gaping wound. That is why you're still stuck on step one and haven't seen the whole picture. Ground level at best not 30,000 feet.

GIGS isn't the big problem and that is what all but four people are trying to tell you. GIGS is a grain of sand in a thousand mile long beach...

Why focus on one small and low percentage issue (immaturity) when you are missing the bigger issue of why people leave (what being IN LOVE means)?

So you're saying "I'm right and anyone who does not agree with me is wrong" got it. This is why you don't want a debate because you're focused on a very small percentage of breakups without understanding the true reasons why people leave. If you're only going to focus on the surface you're missing the forest through the trees.

You're putting a band-aid on a gaping wound. That is why you're still stuck on step one and haven't seen the whole picture. Ground level at best not 30,000 feet.

GIGS isn't the big problem and that is what all but four people are trying to tell you. GIGS is a grain of sand in a thousand mile long beach...

Why focus on one small and low percentage issue (immaturity) when you are missing the bigger issue of why people leave (what being IN LOVE means)?

CaliGuy, what means being in love actually?

Please don't mix infatuation, marital duties and obligations, lust, sex, friendly love, motherly love, materialistic love and other types of love.

When, according to your standards, do you know the love is real and true???

What are the factors that guarantee you that being in love will last forever?

How can you determine that?

How do you know your definition of true love is the same with everyone here and your partner??

• Author
I'd have to put my take on philosorpators opinion, to which I personally disagree to some degree.

If a person hasn't matured enough eg. had strict parents, beliefs, never came out of the eggshell so to speak, will get GIGS sooner or later in relationship.

They chose relationship because of the social standards, safety, comfort and never found a way to satisfy its nature (sexual if you will) through communication with partner. When this gets enoughto take the person breaks out in pursuit of 'true happiness'

to find out at some point of time that an open communcation only (attraction and everything else existed in the first place) can build intimacy and not crazy parties and changing sexual partners.

How many people have repeated patterns in their relationships, being dumped or dumping over the same stuff over and over, it is a tough lesson to learn.

I would like to add Immitable to the list of people who have given a similar if not exact opinion to what GIGS is.

A key example to what is learned through gigs

Smokey...You and I do not share the same "understanding" of GIGS. I am more inclined to agree with Caliguy. I simply acknowledge the "phenomenon" and "phase".

It's nothing other than the egocentrism of youth. The subtleties and facets while "riveting" to discuss are inconsequential in the long term.

This whole thread nazi thing has gotten out of hand.

Oh, Cali as a footnote. I don't remember trying to classify every breakup under GIGS because that is 100% not my view. I came to the belief/realization in my circumstance due to the factors I outlined. We can call it immaturity but it was onset and there were external influences, school, family death, distance etc. then came the other stuff.

All of that being said, I do value your insight and ability to debate specifics without getting upset.

Edited by EgoJoe
  • Author
Smokey...You and I do not share the same "understanding" of GIGS. I am more inclined to agree with Caliguy. I simply acknowledge the "phenomenon" and "phase".

It's nothing other than the egocentrism of youth. The subtleties and facets while "riveting" to discuss are inconsequential in the long term.

Oh, Cali as a footnote. I don't remember trying to classify every breakup under GIGS because that is 100% not my view. I came to the belief/realization in my circumstance due to the factors I outlined. We can call it immaturity but it was onset and there were external influences, school, family death, distance etc. then came the other stuff.

All of that being said, I do value your insight and ability to debate specifics without getting upset.

Gigs is the process of Maturing mentally and emotionally through experiences.

You dont agree with this statement? a yes or no answer will suffice.

My answer is no. I think that one possible result of the phase formerly known as "GIGS" COULD be what you have bolded but other than that. I have said it, iterated it and explained it many times:

It is not every breakup, it is not every immature breakup and it is not a syndrome. It is just a phase that SOME young people go through in SOME way or form. I am now done with this thread.

Smokey just let them believe in what they want to believe.

It is not worth it.

Like with gigs, some people really need to pay the price of experiencing things on their own skin, in order to believe it.

Please don't mix infatuation, marital duties and obligations, lust, sex, friendly love, motherly love, materialistic love and other types of love.

How do you know your definition of true love is the same with everyone here and your partner??

In love is (briefly) defined as someone who, internally, feels like they cannot live without you. This is why people who are IN LOVE do not dump people aside from abuse or cheating (and why some people stay in unhealthy relationships for far too long).

I would like to add Immitable to the list of people who have given a similar if not exact opinion to what GIGS is.

A key example to what is learned through gigs

GIGS=immaturity. The more you lean on one small (and silly) acronym the more you wear blinders to the entire situation of why breakups happens.

I don't care what the external influences are. People who are IN LOVE do not dump people. There is no such thing as GIGSnand the more people who focus only on tht term are completely missing the boat.

Gigs is the process of Maturing mentally and emotionally through experiences.

You dont agree with this statement? a yes or no answer will suffice.

Disagree. There is no such thing as GIGS. When you start calling it immature people who are not emotionally stable enough to be in a relationship I may start agreeing with you.

My answer is no. I think that one possible result of the phase formerly known as "GIGS" COULD be what you have bolded but other than that. I have said it, iterated it and explained it many times:

It is not every breakup, it is not every immature breakup and it is not a syndrome. It is just a phase that SOME young people go through in SOME way or form. I am now done with this thread.

You're closer. Much closer.

From what I know about myself and see in kids now... Until I was 25 or so, I didn't know who I was, what I wanted, what I didn't want, etc. much less know what LOVE was. If I choose a life partner based on what I thought LOVE was back then, I can honestly say I would have ended up divorced.

I grew, changed and matured more through the ages of 18 - 25 than any other period in my life.

I wasn't like Caliguy when I was younger. It wasn't until I was in my late twenties that I finally started ti realize what LOVE really was. This was after I matured and had some life experience that I started to understand it. Judging from what I see and hear... there doesn't appear to be many kids these days that are as self aware and get what real LOVE like Caliguy did back when he was young and their age.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the girls I dated through my teens and early twenties who said they LOVED me... didn't really mean it the way Caliguy thinks they did.

Edited by gibson
  • Author

Only 17% or so of the poulation go through it, i said that earlier,

not every break up is gigs a lot of break ups are gigs.

Im sorry based on the information you have provided me in this thread, you opinion completely matches mine.

I just seem to be the Dumb blonde that isnt getting it or you just refuse to actually say you agree with my understand of gigs, in an overall objective, not in a nitty gritty way.

Ok i accept you are done, thanks for your time i really did appreciate it and your effort in responding.

I'll give you MY personal and BRUTAL experience:

I was married 20 years.

My H was the kind of man that wanted it all. We had it all! Seriously! He cheated at the 10 year mark. I forgave him. We worked through things. He knew if I ever had any inclination he was cheating again - we'd be finished... Without even a conversation.

BIG house by the beach - 3 kids, amazing sex every day - wonderful friends and both had BIG families - we gathered and socialized at least every week. BIG fun, BIG vacations!

Boom! He cheated again. It ended with ONE phone call that went like this:

_____ (his name) don't bother coming home, the locks are changed and I know about your weekend away with your gal.

Is THAT GIG? I don't know! Is he selfish and self serving? YES is he only capable of thinking about wanting MORE? Yes

Some people will NEVER be happy no matter what they have.

I couldn't make him not cheat. I couldn't make him think it was enough.

6 years later - he's still doing the same terrible behavior to his new wife.

I don't care if he has GIG! I learned how to be happy all on my own! Each and every day I am SO grateful I'm not under his thumb and subjected to his controlling and manipulative ways any longer.

Does he love me? YES. I think he always will. Does he love his new wife as much? I don't think so - he was the king to me back then... Until I opened my eyes.

Do I love him? Nope! I love the man I thought he COULD be. He never was the man I thought he portrayed - he was just a cheater hiding it better.

I deserve to be happy - and I am now!

Only after processing my illusions (what I THOUGHT I had - as opposed to MY reality) did I learn what I really had.

Nothing GIG about it. He wants me back still to this day - you tell me - IF this GIG theory is in effect - what could possibly be a good outcome of taking him back? NOTHING good would come of it!

Just because someone wants you back - doesn't make it good.

THAT is MY experience and perspective - which equates to MY truth.

Everyone has their OWN truth. I'm not here to say anyone is right or wrong - I'm just saying each situations is best served by making decisions based on the individual's circumstances.

I hope some of this helps - but I doubt it will.

Only 17% or so of the poulation go through it, i said that earlier,

not every break up is gigs a lot of break ups are gigs.

Please quote your statistical data that quantifies what "a lot" is and where you got your data backing these statements.

Im sorry based on the information you have provided me in this thread, you opinion completely matches mine.

Yet you have no data to backup your "facts". How is this completely matching your opinion? Your glasses are fogged up.

I just seem to be the Dumb blonde that isnt getting it or you just refuse to actually say you agree with my understand of gigs, in an overall objective, not in a nitty gritty.

No offense meant here but just based on your posts you are immature emotionally and are grasping at straws at why you got dumped and GIGS is your crutch (regardless of the fact there is not any sound basis behind your argument outside of immaturity itself).

Time and maturity will heal you to see things more clearly.

It's important to understand here - and in life too - people can have differing opinions - and THAT is perfectly ok if we don't all agree!

It's what makes everyone an individual!

Just because we may not agree doesn't mean your opinion doesn't have it's own value - it does!

• Author
I'll give you MY personal and BRUTAL experience:

I was married 20 years.

My H was the kind of man that wanted it all. We had it all! Seriously! He cheated at the 10 year mark. I forgave him. We worked through things. He knew if I ever had any inclination he was cheating again - we'd be finished... Without even a conversation.

BIG house by the beach - 3 kids, amazing sex every day - wonderful friends and both had BIG families - we gathered and socialized at least every week. BIG fun, BIG vacations!

Boom! He cheated again. It ended with ONE phone call that went like this:

_____ (his name) don't bother coming home, the locks are changed and I know about your weekend away with your gal.

Is THAT GIG? I don't know! Is he selfish and self serving? YES is he only capable of thinking about wanting MORE? Yes

Some people will NEVER be happy no matter what they have.

I couldn't make him not cheat. I couldn't make him think it was enough.

6 years later - he's still doing the same terrible behavior to his new wife.

I don't care if he has GIG! I learned how to be happy all on my own! Each and every day I am SO grateful I'm not under his thumb and subjected to his controlling and manipulative ways any longer.

Does he love me? YES. I think he always will. Does he love his new wife as much? I don't think so - he was the king to me back then... Until I opened my eyes.

Do I love him? Nope! I love the man I thought he COULD be. He never was the man I thought he portrayed - he was just a cheater hiding it better.

I deserve to be happy - and I am now!

Only after processing my illusions (what I THOUGHT I had - as opposed to MY reality) did I learn what I really had.

Nothing GIG about it. He wants me back still to this day - you tell me - IF this GIG theory is in effect - what could possibly be a good outcome of taking him back? NOTHING good would come of it!

Just because someone wants you back - doesn't make it good.

THAT is MY experience and perspective - which equates to MY truth.

Everyone has their OWN truth. I'm not here to say anyone is right or wrong - I'm just saying each situations is best served by making decisions based on the individual's circumstances.

I hope some of this helps - but I doubt it will.

Your post was insightful, thank you for sharing, im sorry for your experience.

• Author
Please quote your statistical data that quantifies what "a lot" is and where you got your data backing these statements.

Sorry that was a typo, it was meant to be a lot of break ups arent gigs, misclassified etc.

Yet you have no data to backup your "facts". How is this completely matching your opinion? Your glasses are fogged up.

Data is there, check the stages of gigs thread someone read recently.

No offense meant here but just based on your posts you are immature emotionally and are grasping at straws at why you got dumped and GIGS is your crutch (regardless of the fact there is not any sound basis behind your argument outside of immaturity itself).

Gigs is not my crutch, im fully awar of why i got dumped, i dont grasp at straws, for once ill actually say why i go so indepth with gigs, its not for my ex, its for me.

I came out of gigs right when he left and i just lost it. I wasnt concerned with my breakup at all for the first 4 months. Im 6 months post break up, check my membership ive only been here 2 months.

When it ended i was consumed with myself, what had just happened to me (my gigs not my break up) i just couldnt understand, i was lost

I lost myself, 4 months of trying to figure out what was went wrong with me, i found ls and the gigs post and it described what i thought id just went through.

I am a persona who is very mind and thought aware, Gibsons gigs theory wasnt enough, i needed facts, i knew inside and out how my mind worked, i needed the info on why it happened. So i researched, deeply and with understanding what happened, i found myself, i wasnt going crazy, it was just nature.

Only then i started to focus on my break up. I dont use gigs or ls as a crutch for my break up, it saved my life, it saved me.

Time and maturity will heal you to see things more clearly.

Well maybe if you actually dug a little deeper, you'd get to know a little more about me.

The whole point in this post, i conflicted with sunny and ego joe. I just wanted to get a little more understanding of what they went through and why we conflicted, i understand now, i wont cause any more tention with them because i made an effort.

Cailiguy, i just dont care about you, is that immatuer enough for you.

Edited by smokey bear
Sorry that was a typo, it was meant to be a lot of break ups arent gigs, misclassified etc.

And all I am saying is if you're going to quote numbers, be prepared to back them up with sources.

Data is there, check the stages of gigs thread someone read recently.

And I'll check what sources they used as well ;)

Gigs is not my crutch, im fully awar of why i got dumped, i dont grasp at straws, for once ill actually say why i go so indepth with gigs, its not for my ex, its for me.

I came out of gigs right when he left and i just lost it. I wasnt concerned with my breakup at all for the first 4 months. Im 6 months post break up, check my membership ive only been here 2 months.

When it ended i was consumed with myself, what had just happened to me (my gigs not my break up) i just couldnt understand, i was lost

I lost myself, 4 months of trying to figure out what was went wrong with me, i found ls and the gigs post and it described what i thought id just went through.

I am a persona who is very mind and thought aware, Gibsons gigs theory wasnt enough, i needed facts, i knew inside and out how my mind worked, i needed the info on why it happened. So i researched, deeply and with understanding what happened, i found myself, i wasnt going crazy, it was just nature.

Only then i started to focus on my break up. I dont use gigs or ls as a crutch for my break up, it saved my life, it saved me.

So are you saying you had GIGS? If so, I attribute the word GIGS to IMMATURITY and that's OK as well. But I'm already tired of seeing that word being spread around like crazy to make every excuse in the book why people are dumped and I just don't believe that is the case for a signficiant population of couples that split. Immaturity causes breakups, but being IN LOVE will prevent them.

And that is why I keep saying that if someone is truly IN LOVE with you, they will NOT leave you.

Well maybe if you actually dug a little deeper, you'd get to know a little more about me.

The whole point in this post, i conflicted with sunny and ego joe. I just wanted to get a little more understanding of what they went through and why we conflicted, i understand now, i wont cause any more tention with them because i made an effort.

Cailiguy, i just dont care about you, is that immatuer enough for you.

I'm the last person on the planet concerned about what others think of me. The only person I care about their feelings for me is God and myself.

Cheers.