Armpit keeps itching after shaved :(

I am pretty much prepared to give up entirely on this whole armpit shaving thing. It ALWAYS itches for 2-3 days after a shave... so if I want to keep it shaven regularly, it becomes a perpetual itch! I have tried all of the shaving suggestions - using mild soap and lather to shave with, shaving along the grain, using a good-quality razor, applying moisturiser or deodorant or baby powder after or nothing at all... nothing works.

I don't think it's even the shaving that is the problem.. I've shaved my legs with the same techniques and it's perfectly fine. I think it's the friction of having bare or stubbly skin rub against each other when I move my arms that does it. That's probably why we have hair there to begin with - to ease the friction! Baby powder does help a little, but I have to reapply it religiously every couple of hours, which seems like a rather disproportionate investment for just having clean-shaved pits.

I was thinking of trying the hair-removal creams, but besides being ridiculously expensive, I have extremely sensitive skin so I'm unsure if I should risk it.

Maybe I'll convince the bf that we should move to Spain. :laugh:

It itches for 2-3 days after you shave, or it starts itching 2-3 days after you shave?

If it's the former, it's probably razor burn. If it's the latter, it's the hair growing back, causing irritation to your skin.

Try using an electric razor there. Dry razors don't shave very close, so you wouldn't have to deal with hair poking through the surface of the skin when it grows back. And since female armpits don't tend to grow thick hair anyway, you probably don't need a very close shave.

For the record, most women in Spain shave their underarms, lol. Pick a different country.

Try waxing. I used to help my exW do her underarms all the time. Never an issue. She did waxing professionally but just needed help with some of her own parts.

If the shaving isn't working for you, why beat yourself up. Try something else or let it grow out. I've never had an issue with natural on a woman.

Was gonna suggest electric razor.

Another thing is, if you are using regular razor and going over it too many times it will itch/hurt afterwards.

Try looking into having it waxed or even electrolisis.

Not sure what is causing it but you might try this suggestion..

If you wear antiperspirant then switch to deodorant, they don't have aluminum in them and aluminum is an irritant,... if you wear a deodorant then change brands..

• Author
Not sure what is causing it but you might try this suggestion..

If you wear antiperspirant then switch to deodorant, they don't have aluminum in them and aluminum is an irritant,... if you wear a deodorant then change brands..

I've tried with or without deodorant, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Was gonna suggest electric razor.

Another thing is, if you are using regular razor and going over it too many times it will itch/hurt afterwards.

Try looking into having it waxed or even electrolisis.

Hrm electric razor. That might be a bit tricky to use inside the shower, no? But if I do invest in one, what are the benefits compared to the regular razor with regards to the itching after?

Can't afford electrolysis. Isn't waxing painful? :eek:

If the shaving isn't working for you, why beat yourself up. Try something else or let it grow out. I've never had an issue with natural on a woman.

I guess I was wondering if it's only me that itches, or if everyone suffers from the same problem and just bears with it. :p I mean, I used to think it was just me that got blisters from heels, til I saw ALL of my friends' feet at a sleepover one day. :lmao:

The bf does not care either way, but given that it's summer now I wanted to try to dress accordingly. And I don't have the guts to go out in public in a tank top and a full complement of hair. :laugh:

It itches for 2-3 days after you shave, or it starts itching 2-3 days after you shave?

If it's the former, it's probably razor burn. If it's the latter, it's the hair growing back, causing irritation to your skin.

Try using an electric razor there. Dry razors don't shave very close, so you wouldn't have to deal with hair poking through the surface of the skin when it grows back. And since female armpits don't tend to grow thick hair anyway, you probably don't need a very close shave.

For the record, most women in Spain shave their underarms, lol. Pick a different country.

It starts itching about a day or so after the shave, and continues 2-3 days after that.

Hrm two votes for the electric razor. I'm tempted to try, but I'm just afraid I'll fork out all that cash and then find out it still doesn't work. I'm a poor student. :( So.. you leave a bit of stubble there when you shave? Perhaps I should try that, just run my blade down once or twice and then leave it?

If you normally don't shave there, you will have issues until your skin becomes used to this new thing. The itching is the little hairs poking out of your skin when they start growing - moisturizer usually helps soften the skin so it is easier for the hairs to poke out. Exfoliation is especially important and will help prevent the itching, so while this is still a new thing, use a washcloth or scrubby pouf to exfoliate.

The key is to just keep at it!! I promise this torture will stop, but your skin just has to get used to it and that can take a month or so. I have this problem with the bikini area if I haven't been shaving certain spots for a long time and then start. It will go away if you continue consistently, and will eventually be as easy as shaving your legs (which have gotten used to it long ago), and will not require any special treatment after that.

Perhaps I should try that, just run my blade down once or twice and then leave it?

How many times do you run the blade over the area? If you shave every time you shower, it shouldn't take more than two or three strokes anyway.

Edited by norajane
Isn't waxing painful?

It can be but doesn't have to be if done properly. My short tutorial is use the proper wax (it's different for underarms than brows than bikini than legs, etc), keep it at the proper temperature, put on the right amount, generally the minimum to give a contiguous strip, then remove it quickly and, a tip my exW gave me, immediately put your hand on the waxed spot and hold it there. She used to do my back hair and I won't lie, it was initially painful, but got better as it was done repeatedly. The cool thing about waxing is that the hair comes back finer and finer and some follicles pull out completely, whereas shaving promotes more coarse hair over time. I could sand metal with my beard :D

I don't have the guts to go out in public in a tank top and a full complement of hair.

Here's an example. Not bad :)

TBH, I had itching problems when playing around with shaving more private areas so I stopped. Hope you figure it out.

Hrm electric razor. That might be a bit tricky to use inside the shower, no? But if I do invest in one, what are the benefits compared to the regular razor with regards to the itching after?

You don't use it in the shower, do it before you get into the shower..

I don't know as I don't have an itch problem with shaving. Only time I have had that happen is when I 'over' shave. Going over the same spot many times irritates your skin no matter how soap lather is used. How many swipes with razor do you do each time? Also, are you shaving every other day? Every day? Shaving every day could be a reason too..

• Author
If you normally don't shave there, you will have issues until your skin becomes used to this new thing. The itching is the little hairs poking out of your skin when they start growing - moisturizer usually helps soften the skin so it is easier for the hairs to poke out. Exfoliation is especially important and will help prevent the itching, so while this is still a new thing, use a washcloth or scrubby pouf to exfoliate.

I tried moisturiser, but it gets really icky later when I sweat there and it mixes with the moisturiser :sick:

So.. I should exfoliate each time before I shave? How does this exfoliating thing work?

The key is to just keep at it!! I promise this torture will stop, but your skin just has to get used to it and that can take a month or so. I have this problem with the bikini area if I haven't been shaving certain spots for a long time and then start. It will go away if you continue consistently, and will eventually be as easy as shaving your legs (which have gotten used to it long ago), and will not require any special treatment after that.

Oh, I don't shave my legs regularly, no. But the few times I did it, it did not itch. However, perhaps a key issue here is that leg hair growth is much sparser, so I only needed to run the blade over once. Hmm.

How many times do you run the blade over the area? If you shave every time you shower, it shouldn't take more than two or three strokes anyway.

Quite a lot more than that :p I really don't have the discipline to shave everyday though, so usually every week or so. Does anyone really shave every single day??

Also, I keep my razor out of the shower, as I bought a pretty good one and didn't want the blades to rust. That makes it a little inconvenient to shave, as I have to bring it in and out each time, so that's a bit of a deterrent. Do you keep yours inside?

...TBH, I had itching problems when playing around with shaving more private areas so I stopped. Hope you figure it out.

Oh, I figured it out all right, Carhill.

It wasn't hard with that hint, you cheeky boy!

• Author

TBH, I had itching problems when playing around with shaving more private areas so I stopped. Hope you figure it out.

I would really not shave if I had the sort of armpit hair that girl has, carhill. Mine resembles the, uh, more private areas. :lmao:

Speaking of which, I definitely have never dared to try the more private areas. My reasoning was: If my ARMPIT itches like this... :laugh:

You don't use it in the shower, do it before you get into the shower..

I don't know as I don't have an itch problem with shaving. Only time I have had that happen is when I 'over' shave. Going over the same spot many times irritates your skin no matter how soap lather is used. How many swipes with razor do you do each time? Also, are you shaving every other day? Every day? Shaving every day could be a reason too..

I should definitely use less swipes. I do it once a week so it takes many swipes to get the area perfectly cleaned out.

When I shave, I remind myself to shave the hair, not the skin. Then I lighten up on the pressure so that the blades don't scrape so much.

But honestly, a little itching is a small price to pay for beauty. Suck it up.

I tried moisturiser, but it gets really icky later when I sweat there and it mixes with the moisturiser :sick:

Put the moisturizer on before bed...:)

So.. I should exfoliate each time before I shave? How does this exfoliating thing work?
Exfoliating basically means rubbing off the dead skin cells that make it hard for the hair to poke out. So, as part of your daily shower, rub the washcloth over the area. Do it regularly, and it will help. You don't have to do it right before or after you shave - just make sure to give your underarms an extra swipe or two with your washcloth. Again, this will only be necessary during the "adjustment" period. Later, you won't have to do anything special or extra, just like with your legs.

Oh, I don't shave my legs regularly, no. But the few times I did it, it did not itch. However, perhaps a key issue here is that leg hair growth is much sparser, so I only needed to run the blade over once. Hmm.
Your legs are also typically exposed to the elements, so the skin is tougher. Think of those women who don't use sunscreen and their skin is like leather...your legs have always been more exposed than your underarms, so the skin is not as sensitive.

Quite a lot more than that :p I really don't have the discipline to shave everyday though, so usually every week or so. Does anyone really shave every single day??

I shave under my arms every time I shower. Like I said, it only takes two or three strokes, so it is not any kind of problem to do. You are probably going over the same spots WAY too much when you do shave.

Also, I keep my razor out of the shower, as I bought a pretty good one and didn't want the blades to rust. That makes it a little inconvenient to shave, as I have to bring it in and out each time, so that's a bit of a deterrent. Do you keep yours inside?
Yes, I always keep mine in the shower. Always. Razors don't rust. They are meant to get wet. :)
  • Author

Thanks, norajane! Will def try that. :) My razors have rusted before, but I suppose I should be changing them out every few months or so anyway.

I should definitely use less swipes. I do it once a week so it takes many swipes to get the area perfectly cleaned out.

Then try twice a week, less swipes. Probably doing more swipes because your armpit hair is long, so if you shave 2 times a week that might help?

• Author

I think I'm going to try waxing. I intend to try it on my legs first - even though shaving the legs isn't itchy, the stubble feels absolutely horrific when it grows out, like a damn cactus. And it grows out way too fast with shaving.

So.. yeah. If that works, then maybe I'll do it to the underarms. I'm totally scared to even do it to the legs though. It supposedly really hurts!

You could try trimming close, without shaving.

I did that for years, and most people didn't notice--even in tank tops. But my hair is on the lighter side...

There were other years when I didn't shave or trim, and truthfully no one cares. My H kind of liked it :o

• Author

Oh, xxoo, I have black and rather coarse hair. No chance of not being noticed. :) Bf does not mind but I got funny looks in public the one time I tried to go swimming without.

Hrm two votes for the electric razor. I'm tempted to try, but I'm just afraid I'll fork out all that cash and then find out it still doesn't work. I'm a poor student.

Electric razors are not expensive. But if you don't want to buy one, you could try a mini electric razor instead, the kind that's meant for fine facial hair.

So.. you leave a bit of stubble there when you shave? Perhaps I should try that, just run my blade down once or twice and then leave it?

I don't leave any stubble. Maybe we're different because the hair that grows under my arms is very fine and sparse. I only need to shave there once a week, and using a mini eyebrow razor (like the one in the link) works just fine. When I do use a regular razor, I only need to run the blade once over the spot. Running the blade over your skin more than twice is definitely too much.

The hair on my legs, on the other hand, is much thicker. Truly, I grow leg hair like a man, lol. But even on my legs, I only need to run the blade once. If one or two swipes with the razor is not enough, that means the blade is dull and needs to be replaced.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Author

I checked out the prices for IPL and I most definitely cannot afford them, blugirl. Not sure if I would do it even if I could. I'm the sort of girl that balks at spending more than $30 on a piece of clothing. I would not spend hundreds for hair removal.

As an update... I tried sticking it out and shaving my armpit regularly since the time I started this thread.. it was a pretty horrible week or so but now it's getting better! I'm also not shaving so close to the skin anymore; 2-3 swipes with the razor still leaves stubble (yes, it's a brand new razor, and I'm shaving every 2-3 days), but eh, I really don't think stubble is terribly discernible there anyhow. :)

Now, moving on to the legs. :p I realized that the reason my legs had been unproblematic to shave was actually not a very good one - it was because I was shaving along the grain, and thus also leaving bits of stubble there. It looks okay, but you can feel it when you run your hand down it.

So I tried shaving against the grain as several articles suggested. It worked in the sense that my legs actually did remain smooth (for, like, 24 hours *sigh*), but I got some pretty obvious razor burn - tiny red bumps where the hair follicles are. I've taken all the necessary precautions - bathed with warm water, exfoliated my legs, used a sharp razor, used cream to shave with, then moisturised them after. Damn it.