Is it possible for a guy to just be friend with a girl?

Haven't read the entire thread.

Depends on the mindset of the guy in question - I have a small number of attractive female friends, but f*cking them or starting romantic relationships with them isn't something that interests me.

I have alot of very attractive female friends and my best friend is a female but would i want a relationship? no of course not because of the implications it would cause to our friendship and we both made that clear. A man and a woman can be best of friends and not be attracted to each other but there has to be that understanding between them. If there isn't or one does not want the other then a close friendship isn't possible.

They can be friends, only if it's mutual.

It has to be mutually platonic, or mutually (not) platonic for it to work.

More often than not, it's not mutually platonic on both sides. Probably like a good 99.9% of the time. Guys and girls simply cannot hang out together without falling for each other. We are wired to like to each other. It's human nature. Even if you approach someone as a friend first... chances are, ONE of you will fall. Hopefully BOTH of you will fall... but this is why I steer clear of male/female relationships, because in my experience, it has only been one sided, no matter which side it's on.

Which is why I say girl/guy friendships don't work.

1 person or the other almost always develops feelings for the other one, and then you have unrequited love. Which is a boat load of fun. :rolleyes:

I can see it happening from a mile away every time I befriend a guy... and I can usually tell which ones I'm going to fall for and which ones I'm not.

This usually just boils down to attractiveness level.

It's not ALL about looks, but it's somewhat about looks. There has to be some attraction, no matter what anyone says.

The guy that I currently (have liked) and am trying to get over, because this is a prime example of a friendship gone sour because one person liked the other one and the other one didn't like the other person, etc...

I didn't fall in love with his looks immediately, but I fell in love with his personality. Then, because he falls under the category of "my type"... ... I was able to fall in love with his looks. And after I got to know him, I noticed he was REALLY attractive. It wasn't until after I started getting to know him that I noticed this, though.

But if they aren't my type, right off the bat, I may get to know them, and like them as a friend, but I never fall for them as anything more. A vast majority of the time, they fall for me, though.

Sooo...

That was way too much information, but that's my two (or 25) cents.

They can be friends, only if it's mutual.

It has to be mutually platonic, or mutually (not) platonic for it to work.

More often than not, it's not mutually platonic on both sides. Probably like a good 99.9% of the time. Guys and girls simply cannot hang out together without falling for each other. We are wired to like to each other. It's human nature. Even if you approach someone as a friend first... chances are, ONE of you will fall. Hopefully BOTH of you will fall... but this is why I steer clear of male/female relationships, because in my experience, it has only been one sided, no matter which side it's on.

Which is why I say girl/guy friendships don't work.

1 person or the other almost always develops feelings for the other one, and then you have unrequited love. Which is a boat load of fun. :rolleyes:

I can see it happening from a mile away every time I befriend a guy... and I can usually tell which ones I'm going to fall for and which ones I'm not.

This usually just boils down to attractiveness level.

It's not ALL about looks, but it's somewhat about looks. There has to be some attraction, no matter what anyone says.

The guy that I currently (have liked) and am trying to get over, because this is a prime example of a friendship gone sour because one person liked the other one and the other one didn't like the other person, etc...

I didn't fall in love with his looks immediately, but I fell in love with his personality. Then, because he falls under the category of "my type"... ... I was able to fall in love with his looks. And after I got to know him, I noticed he was REALLY attractive. It wasn't until after I started getting to know him that I noticed this, though.

But if they aren't my type, right off the bat, I may get to know them, and like them as a friend, but I never fall for them as anything more. A vast majority of the time, they fall for me, though.

Sooo...

That was way too much information, but that's my two (or 25) cents.

The short answer... and the only answer...

only if it's mutual

Gender is not high on my list for creating friendships on various levels. Be they social, close or otherwise...Some requirements are as previously stated:

Maturity, trust and variable commonalities along with intrigueing differences.

Perhaps its when I stop looking at folks as one dimensional (primal), that I get to respect and gain interest in them as persons. And vice versa.

I rarely hang out with folks who cannot overcome the facts that we all need friends and they needn't be discriminated based on gender.

Breezy Trousers

Haven't read the entire thread, either.

The only guys who truly wanted friendship with me were gay men. Every other guy just wanted something else (sigh).

Edited by Breezy Trousers

I suppose it is possible. I have never personally seen it work for others and I have never experienced it myself. Some of it probably has to do with the deepness of the friendship. If it is mostly surface "acquaintance" friendship it is very possible. If the guy/girl are becoming very close there is a high chance one of the two will develop feelings.

Haven't read the entire thread, either.

The only guys who truly wanted friendship with me were gay men. Every other guy just wanted something else (sigh).

Are you sure??

Dude please!

:eek:

Yes, it's entirely possible. Most men are primarily attracted to a woman's physical beauty. If a woman happens to be overweight or ugly she can still be a good friend without being a sexual partner.

I think the real question here is "Can a man be friends with an attractive female without wanting to sleep with her?"

• 1 month later...

Yes I believe it is possible. The real question is how deep of a friendship can someone have with the opposite gender before things get weird?

This is something that will depend on the person. Just because one person has problems being friends with the opposite gender doesn't mean that other people can't do it. I know of people who do it quite well.

Personally, I to like have guys as friends. I just can't become as close to them emotionally as I do with female friends. It runs the risk of feelings developing. But that's just me.

goldengirl11
Yes, it's entirely possible. Most men are primarily attracted to a woman's physical beauty. If a woman happens to be overweight or ugly she can still be a good friend without being a sexual partner.

I think the real question here is "Can a man be friends with an attractive female without wanting to sleep with her?"

I admit that I didn't like how you put being overweight as an unlikely contender to be a sexual partner! Not that I am *that* overweight, but can rather feel threatened by slim females, if I am honest.:o

Edited by goldengirl11