I've hate my job yet feel trapped

• Author
With a boss like D-Lish described, I doubt it's possible to get good references from her boss at all when you quit, let alone get rehired by her. Unless of course her iron fist and unreasonable way of treating employees is an act and she's bluffing when she makes threats.

Vancouver is wonderful (homer cheers!) but Toronto has far more retail opportunities.

So now, not only are you an excellent people motivator as an area supe, you also come with a ready made staff. Time to sell yourself!!

When...not if, you leave, the removal of yourself as a barrier, will only help to illustrate to staff why they need to approach you for a job!

You don't need refernces in high end management in retail because they know they are stealing you from another company, so it's just a given that you don't check references.

I could say my experience is 5 years and lie on my resume.

Here's a little known trick lots of employers use when hiring. They put up a requirement for the job demanding many years of experience, then when someone comes at the job interview and they don't meet the required years of experience, then the employer negotiates down the interviewee's wage.

It's something to keep in mind when you see an employer ask for excessive years of experience or demand a long list of requirements. Usually it's not needed for the job, but it's used as leverage to negotiate down your wage.

Dirty tricks.

• Author
Vancouver is wonderful (homer cheers!) but Toronto has far more retail opportunities.

So now, not only are you an excellent people motivator as an area supe, you also come with a ready made staff. Time to sell yourself!!

When...not if, you leave, the removal of yourself as a barrier, will only help to illustrate to staff why they need to approach you for a job!

I have so many wonderful people working under me.

I actually would move for more money- most of the people working for me start at minimum wage.

Manager's start at a really crap wage.

You don't need refernces in high end management in retail because they know they are stealing you from another company, so it's just a given that you don't check references.

I could say my experience is 5 years and lie on my resume.

As a big believer in not ever burning employment bridges, maybe I'm being too cautious. Even though in the past, I too was stolen from firm to firm, it helped for future thefts that I always left on good terms. Building a reputation is key within my industry and I'm guessing it helps in yours. But maybe I'm wrong.

As far as lying on your resume, I wouldn't advise it.

• Author
As a big believer in not ever burning employment bridges, maybe I'm being too cautious. Even though in the past, I too was stolen from firm to firm, it helped for future thefts that I always left on good terms. Building a reputation is key within my industry and I'm guessing it helps in yours. But maybe I'm wrong.

Oh, no worries, I wouldn't lie , I'd feel too guilty, and it's not my style.

In my industry you could though- people don't check references because they are always "stealing" someone from another company. Retail is cut-throat in upper management.

Me? I am honest- and creative- so I tailor my resume to every job I apply to.

As a big believer in not ever burning employment bridges, maybe I'm being too cautious.

In this case, I think you are. Maintaining a good relationship with an ex who drove you to medication is not only a waste of your resources, it's impossible.

D-Lish, as for your tenancy, it's just a deposit that you'll lose. Think positive. All the balls and chains that hold you back are in your head. You're telling us about all these brilliant things that are in your favour, and you made that happen. You made your good relations with your staff and your RM.

Whether you move to Vancouver or stay living where you are, you're going to be okay.

• Author
Here's a little known trick lots of employers use when hiring. They put up a requirement for the job demanding many years of experience, then when someone comes at the job interview and they don't meet the required years of experience, then the employer negotiates down the interviewee's wage.

It's something to keep in mind when you see an employer ask for excessive years of experience or demand a long list of requirements. Usually it's not needed for the job, but it's used as leverage to negotiate down your wage.

Dirty tricks.

Oh I know that! They do it in my company!

I got offerred my original position at much lower than I asked for. I was straight up about my expectations and although it took a while for them to call me back- they did call me back and accept my terms. My punishment for that has been to make my monthly goals so unrealistic that I don't make commissions. I guess there is always a way of getting around paying your staff what they deserve.

I know I already answered a bit- but retail is a different breed of employment. I'd be leaving with my boss to go somewhere else- so I'd have a built in reference with her taking me with her.

It's really more about the experience you have in your resume. Retail is more about resume and experience than reference.

My current boss didn't even check any of my references when she hired me. Nobody gives two weeks notice in my industry, you usually just walk and it's understood by others in the business that when you're "stealing" someone that you have to go with your gut in an interview because you can't call for a reference lest you jeapordize their job.

I am fortunate to be in a position where it is my boss that wants to take me with her.

I just can't move to Van as it stands. I don't want to leave Toronto, and I want to branch out of retail. If my RM leaves the company- she'll happily give me a reference if I decide to go somewhere else, because she'll be somewhere else and won't have any concerns over me leaving her hanging.

Edited by D-Lish