Boyfriend's mother died, he pushed me away and now won't talk

• Author

I was starting to do better and move on, but over the weekend I learned devastating news that my ex's grandfather died in July. I can't believe I was never informed - I found out on my own by discovering an obituary online. I'm in shock and extremely saddened. Also hurt that he didn't want to tell me, even when I saw him last week. I cared about his grandfather and feel like I had a right to know.

At the very least it would have helped put things into perspective. He has lost everyone he cared really deeply about in the last six months. His grandfather's house, which he visited several times a year and spent all family holidays, is now empty. Before all this terrible stuff happened, he had wanted to take me there to meet his family. We were planning to go in April but of course his mother died right before. Now there is no family for him to return to. I can only imagine his pain.

I feel oceans of overwhelming sadness for his loss, and hurt that I was not told. Not long ago I was closer to him than anyone but now he really is treating me like a stranger. I want so much to write to him about this but I guess I really shouldn't. It feels terribly wrong to just say nothing but I don't know what the best course of action is.