So I just realized without a doubt, my ex has BPD.

• Author
This pretty much says it all. None of us are qualified to diagnose somebody as having BPD, unless we have extensive training in mental health services. It's okay to take note of strange behavior and see that it resembles BPD, but to put a label on your ex is pointless.

If you've been in a relationship that ended and can see at a macro level that something was "off" about your ex, then all you need to do is learn from it, how to spot the red flags, and move on! Delving in on a micro level to figure out just exactly what they are is waste of time. You can only fix yourself.

Yes, but finding out and studying information like this sheds a lot of light on my relationship for me. It takes away a lot of the guilt I felt for the relationship going south. It tells me that this is a relationship that cannot be salvaged, and it tells me that I'm not a failure as a boyfriend, rather that my relationship was sabotaged from the get go. I don't think that one needs to be a trained professional to simply notice behaviors and read and comprehend what this disorder entails. The information in ten sites I have read to this point are DEAD on. No inconsistency. I suppose it doesn't matter if anyone thinks I'm using this as a scapegoat for my failed relationship, I know personally what I put into this and how crazy I have felt for many years not being able to understand the way this girl perceived me and things in her life. It's clear now and even though it may seem pointless, it is a crazy realization. I'll agree that now that I have found all of this I need to stop obsessing about her. I need to find myself, find my happiness again and move on. I need to recover from what happened to me over the years.

Yes, but finding out and studying information like this sheds a lot of light on my relationship for me. It takes away a lot of the guilt I felt for the relationship going south. It tells me that this is a relationship that cannot be salvaged, and it tells me that I'm not a failure as a boyfriend, rather that my relationship was sabotaged from the get go. I don't think that one needs to be a trained professional to simply notice behaviors and read and comprehend what this disorder entails. The information in ten sites I have read to this point are DEAD on. No inconsistency. I suppose it doesn't matter if anyone thinks I'm using this as a scapegoat for my failed relationship, I know personally what I put into this and how crazy I have felt for many years not being able to understand the way this girl perceived me and things in her life. It's clear now and even though it may seem pointless, it is a crazy realization. I'll agree that now that I have found all of this I need to stop obsessing about her. I need to find myself, find my happiness again and move on. I need to recover from what happened to me over the years.

Yeah, and I read on 25 medical sites about my symptoms of pain in my stomach and lower back and it said I was in labor. Felt kind of strange since I'm a male and I didn't even know I was pregnant. But the internet is always right. If it's written on some fancy website, it's sure to be true.

Turns out, I just had to take a big dump.

If you ex really does have BPD and you feel guilty about it, that's a very dangerous sign. If you don't understand why that' a bad sign, you haven't really done your research and you really need to seek professional help.

• Author
Yeah, and I read on 25 medical sites about my symptoms of pain in my stomach and lower back and it said I was in labor. Felt kind of strange since I'm a male and I didn't even know I was pregnant. But the internet is always right. If it's written on some fancy website, it's sure to be true.

If you ex really does have BPD and you feel guilty about it, that's a very dangerous sign. If you don't understand why that' a bad sign, you haven't really done your research and you really need to seek professional help.

Ahh sarcasm is cute I guess. We all have big balls on the internet, very easy to speak down to people. This thread was made less than 24 hours ago. BPD didn't cross my mind until then. I've been reading about it nonstop for hours and physically feel sick coming to the realization that I have been pushing myself into such a situation. I posted here on it to basically compare notes with others that have experienced this type of relationship and become more enlightened. I will be speaking with a professional this week, thank you for your advice and belittling. I hope your ego got the boost you were seeking by talking down to me!

GreenPolicy

Your ex might have BPD, she might not. You've witnessed strange behavior. So the next time you meet a girl who exhibits the same kind of strange behavior, you'll run instead of falling in love. What does putting a label on it accomplish?

Doing a post mortem after a breakup is necessary. You need to learn from your mistakes, figure out essentially why the relationship ended, figure out what you did and did not like about your ex, etc, and what that means for your future romantic endeavors. If your ex does have BPD, like you have managed to convince yourself, then be glad you are out of it. BPD'ers are bad LTR material.

I agree and thats why I did get professional help. I discovered I was codependent. A codependent with a BPD sufferer = KABOOM!!!. I am 3 months in Therapy now, not sure how long I have got left. No one on this website can convince me my ex doesn't have BPD. But that doesn't matter anymore. What matters is using this time to focus on myself and being the best man I can be. I can't help her, she is gone. Forgive them, Let them go and move on with OUR lives..

GreenPolicy

I had a therapist/counselor friend of mine label my ex as BPD after I gave her the rundown of what happened. But she has never met my ex, and was giving merely an informed opinion based on her mental health training. The therapist that I do see has made the observation that my ex has "issues" and that I can't fix my ex but can only fix myself. That helped validate to me that while I need to work on myself, I'm not crazy for thinking something was "off" about the way our relationship ended. Their opinions don't mean my ex was BPD. I've had other people describe my ex as an avoidant. Who knows what is the truth?

All I know is that while I wasn't perfect, I was a damn good boyfriend, and I didn't deserve what I got from her. I made mistakes in the relationships, and there are definitely things that I can look back at and say I would do differently, little details at the margins, not the big picture stuff about who I was when I with her. In my opinion whatever issues we had could have been solved. My ex never bothered to tell me what those issues might be. She just blindsided me in leaving after pretending that everything was peachy right until the end. While I can't say I was the perfect boyfriend, I can say that I deserved better than that. Emotionally immature/bipolar/BPD/avoidant/commitment phobe? The label doesn't matter. She has to live her life and fix herself. I have to move on with mine.

• Author

I've learned what I need to from this thread. Thank you for those who have provided information and experiences based on BPD with their relationships. Thanks to those who did a quick google/copy paste and basically called me delusional and just looking for something to blame. I don't need approval or confirmation at this point from a 1k+ know-it-all poster on a relationship website.

Time to move on and pick up the pieces.

radiodarcy
Delving in on a micro level to figure out just exactly what they are is waste of time. You can only fix yourself.

agreed. i realized some time ago that my ex has BPD. i went through the same feelings in the link that WTRanger provided. but after awhile i realized it was a losing battle. i hung in there anyway - - until he dumped me that is.

now three months into NC i could care less if he has BPD. it's not going to change anything. he's been in and out therapy for years and knows full well what his issues are; and he chooses to ignore them. my delving into those issues isn't going to change his mind about getting help so there's no point in bothering to do so. all i can do is continue to work on myself and keep moving on.

I had a therapist/counselor friend of mine label my ex as BPD after I gave her the rundown of what happened. But she has never met my ex, and was giving merely an informed opinion based on her mental health training. The therapist that I do see has made the observation that my ex has "issues" and that I can't fix my ex but can only fix myself. That helped validate to me that while I need to work on myself, I'm not crazy for thinking something was "off" about the way our relationship ended. Their opinions don't mean my ex was BPD. I've had other people describe my ex as an avoidant. Who knows what is the truth?

All I know is that while I wasn't perfect, I was a damn good boyfriend, and I didn't deserve what I got from her. I made mistakes in the relationships, and there are definitely things that I can look back at and say I would do differently, little details at the margins, not the big picture stuff about who I was when I with her. In my opinion whatever issues we had could have been solved. My ex never bothered to tell me what those issues might be. She just blindsided me in leaving after pretending that everything was peachy right until the end. While I can't say I was the perfect boyfriend, I can say that I deserved better than that. Emotionally immature/bipolar/BPD/avoidant/commitment phobe? The label doesn't matter. She has to live her life and fix herself. I have to move on with mine.

+1 couldnt describe my own predictament better :)

CFM, Sinnester, and Mack, I applaud your successful efforts to determine whether your Ex's dysfunctional symptoms match most of the nine BPD traits. All of you have been fearless in seeking out useful BPD information. What you are doing is identifying the severity of those BPD symptoms. You are not really "diagnosing" anything. You therefore can save yourself some grief on this forum by dropping the "diagnosis" term. Please let me explain:

In every field of the medical sciences, a "diagnosis" is the act of looking at symptoms and identifying the disease causing them. Because the same set of symptoms may be caused by a dozen different diseases, there is some danger that a misdiagnosis will result in your being treated for the wrong disease. This is why, on the hundreds of forums dedicated to medical problems, the members oftentimes are very critical of any other member claiming to know a diagnosis. At the same time, however, you will see a thousand members talking 24/7 about their symptoms and how severe those symptoms are. And you likely will never see a member chastising someone for "trying to diagnose" or being an "armchair doctor" when discussing symptoms.

Everyone understands that it is perfectly reasonable to discuss the severity of symptoms one is seeing. Indeed, when people go to the doctor's office, the first thing the doctor will say is "Tell me what symptoms you have been having." Moreover, most major medical centers and hospitals have created webpages targeted to laymen explaining the symptoms of various diseases. Those institutions know that the knowledge of symptoms is a good thing because, the more knowledgeable a person is, the quicker he is likely to seek treatment.

Yet, when we come here on LoveShack and do exactly the same thing when discussing personality disorder (PD) symptoms, some members will attack us as "trying to diagnose" and being an "armchair psychologist." The problem is that, when we are talking about a PD such as BPD, many people confuse "symptoms" for "disease." They do not understand that, for PDs, it is impossible to misdiagnose the diseases causing the 10 PDs because THERE ARE NO KNOWN DISEASES. No scientist has yet shown whether the ten PDs are caused by a single disease or, rather, by 20 or 30 different diseases.

Clearly, no psychologist with a brain has ever been convinced that the 10 PDs are caused by 10 different diseases. From the beginning, the 10 PDs were intended to be nothing more than classificatory devices that make it easier to discuss the symptoms therapists had been observing for decades as occurring together in patterns. The 9 BPD traits, for example, are nothing more than 9 symptoms that are often seen occurring together, thus forming a recognizable pattern of symptoms (i.e., traits). Strictly speaking, BPD is a "syndrome," which means it is a collection of dysfunctional symptoms. Because the American Psychiatric Association (APA) created too many of these groupings of symptoms, the draft version of the new diagnostic manual (to be released in 2013) is eliminating half of the PDs by consolidating them into the remaining 5 PDs (one of which is BPD).

This means that you should feel free to talk about your Ex's BPD symptoms all day long -- without any fear that you are "misdiagnosing" a disease. There is no known disease. Such discussions are not dangerous. This information will not burn your house down. Indeed, if your discussion of your BPDer Ex is going to rise above "kick her to the curb," you cannot avoid discussing symptoms like verbal abuse, inability to trust, inappropriate anger, temper tantrums, constant blaming, lack of impulse control, emotional instability, low self esteem, black-white thinking, and fear of abandonment. Moreover, after living with a woman for a year or two, you would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to recognize those dysfunctional symptoms. There is nothing subtle or nuanced about traits such as verbal abuse, temper tantrums, and lack of trust. These symptoms are as easy to spot as high fever, tiredness, head ache, and itching.

I therefore suggest that, instead of saying your Ex "has BPD," you say instead that she "has strong BPD traits (i.e., symptoms). This silly distinction is necessary only because the APA uses the term "disorder" in a way never seen outside the field of psychology. In every medical field, "disorder" means "disease" and -- as I explained above -- there is a clear distinction between diseases and symptoms. Hence, you likely would never hear a medical doctor referring to a "disorder" as a set of symptoms. Yet, in psychology, that is exactly what psychologists do when talking about BPD or any other PD. Because there are no known diseases to discuss, the psychologists are only discussing symptoms when talking about a PD.

PelicanPete

Great post Downtown :) I'd like to add to it a bit if I could

A good Psychologist never labels or reduces behaviors, because basically every person is 100% unique. Rather, you use the symptoms as a guideline towards helping them and developing a treatment method, because you simply cannot take a pill to cure x amount of factors that could be influencing these behaviors.. As Downtown said, people may have the symptoms of BPD, but you can't exactly label someone and reduce their behavior to it.

Yes, the APA created the DSM and it has a list of all "disorders" and their symptoms and treatments. It is a helpful book to have, and it gives you a place to start, but if you want to really help or understand the person it should be used more as a guide rather then a manual. It's impossible to create a manual to explain every person in the worlds behavior.

To be honest, a lot of these new "disorders" are used as a way of controlling and labeling people in society. The list of mental diseases have shot up dramatically within the past 60 years, there use to be only 6 or 7 but now there are hundreds. If you were to go to a psychiatrist, I guarantee you they would find something wrong with you. You know why? It's all a scam.

Being a Psychology Major, I investigated into this for one of my school papers earlier last year and came across the findings of Thomas Szasz, a prof of Psychiatry at the State University of New York, who came to the conclusion that no behaviour or misbehaviour is considered a disease. A disease is something that requires physical symptoms, while BPD and many other mental disorders have no physical symptoms, yet they are being treated with medication. ADHD is the most common scam, when it is simply labeled as a common thread of negative behaviors

Do you have ADHD?

• poor organizational skills (home, office, desk, or car is extremely messy and cluttered)
  • tendency to procrastinate
  • trouble starting and finishing projects
  • chronic lateness
  • frequently forgetting appointments, commitments, and deadlines
  • constantly losing or misplacing things (keys, wallet, phone, documents, bills)
  • underestimating the time it will take you to complete tasks

Hell, I'm sure we've all suffered from symptoms of ADHD. Better go get some Ritalin.

Apparently when the black slaves in the south ran away for freedom, it wasn't that they wanted to be free.. They suffered from a disease called drapetomania described by physican Samuel A. Cartwright. His treatment was "whipping the devil out of them".

Sure enough, BPD can be "treated" with medication: "Some of the most commonly prescribed medications for BPD include antidepressants, antipsychotics, anxiolytics (anti-anxiety), and mood stabilizers/anticonvulsants. Other potential treatments, such as omega-3-fatty acids, are also being explored."

As Downtown said, it's fine to talk about common behaviors of your ex's, but it's kind of silly to label their behaviors. Using it as an excuse for why you guys broke up only promotes victim mentality. It takes two to tango, you were the other half of the puzzle, so focus on understanding your half instead of labeling your ex's.

betterdeal

Those are two very interesting posts that have articulated my thoughts much better than I have. If someone is so difficult to relate to, who in their right mind would get involved with them? Working on what led me to be involved with BDP applicable women has revealed a lot of unhealthy attitudes, beliefs and self-images I had.

I'm confident I would have been described as having a PD in my youth, and for much the same reasons those women who I was involved with had them - chains of events, trauma, expectations, and sheer bad luck.

I mean that's a huge piggyback leap from Downtown's excellent analysis to some ultra-PROJECTION to make people stop just trying to talk about their exes obvious patterns. I wish some people would just ignore instead of distract...Thank you again Downtown...I trust you insight/advice and your earlier summation as nothing short of BRILLIANT.

About have ANYTHING to do with you lot that try to keep people from doing it...srsly..how the hell does it hurt. I might have BPD too... big ****ing deal..just b/c I could be scared I have it...I'm not going to use an excuse to keep people from talking about patterns of those THAT R NOT ME!!! Get a life losers...everything isn't about u.

betterdeal
Hell, I'm sure we've all suffered from symptoms of ADHD. Better go get some Ritalin.

Indeed. Or how about giving up on the narrow Victorian notion of normal e.g. 9-5 desk job being good, manual labour being bad, married for life, men stoic, women fragile, 8 hours sleep at night, and so forth?

Starting to think there's some BPD cabal..lol...you go onto ANY SITE..I mean, you can call your ex psychotic...a pedo..like ANYTHING..you meantion BPD..and a flood of morons start PROJECTING their fears of being DX'd, anger at trying to dx...and spend time NOT TALKING ABOUT SYMPTOMS but shutting down the dialogue with truisms and nothing more. Of course we're not doctors..but neither r the lot that can't spot a pattern if it gave them a facial, lol.

Indeed. Or how about giving up on the narrow Victorian notion of normal e.g. 9-5 desk job being good, manual labour being bad, married for life, men stoic, women fragile, 8 hours sleep at night, and so forth?

How does that have ANYTHING to do with BPD DX? Seems like some of you had a bad exp with some psych and want to take it out on evryone else and call it all quackery...DO IT ON UR OWN THREAD....don't place Victorian when 3 people have their exes with THE SAME PATTERNS...AND CFM and I had a similar type of r/s with our SO for a span of time....narrow Victorian when we're citing our own history and facts and making CONNECTIONS..damn.

How extreme do people have to get to shut down a simple debate based on their insecurity/exclusion from said debate/connections...lol. I've lost a lot of respect for a few people today...talking is NONE of your business...and you trying to throw uninformed two cent just to feel needed/secure in yourselves and extrapolating some f--ked up stuff out of this.....I can't stand u..and glad I'd never see u IRL. For people open minded enough, empathetic enough to help strangers with their exps..it's amazing how they DISCRIMINATE who/what they help and how they help...I think many of your aims are ulterior.

betterdeal
How does that have ANYTHING to do with BPD DX? Seems like some of you had a bad exp with some psych and want to take it out on evryone else and call it all quackery...DO IT ON UR OWN THREAD....don't place Victorian when 3 people have their exes with THE SAME PATTERNS...AND CFM and I had a similar type of r/s with our SO for a span of time....narrow Victorian when we're citing our own history and facts and making CONNECTIONS..damn.

You're a bit shouty, aren't you?

if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Does it really matter? What, need another attack avenue? You can't say I'm wrong in hating those that r getting so upset about 3 people relaying their experiences and just attributing it to something they've checked on..so we need another distraction right? Another way to undermine/devalue the convo...Mack has barely returned...CFM hasn't come back...mob ruled with the same BPD bull**** you find at the end of every thread when it's mentioned. So make it about the posters instead of the disorder. I'm a loser for caring too much from the distractions cause I was too old/too young/too bitter...but never about how irrelevant the distractions/projections were right? Stop wasting your time shooting at the messenger..you can at least feel proud being part of the crowd..but u won't hit me.

Some interesting replies here. Exit and marquee, I see where you're coming from.. the problem is, you don't see where I'm coming from. It's far too easy to stand back on this website and say what you said. You can read posts I made over a year ago professing my undying love to this same woman as she stomped all over me. I felt crazy continuing the relationship.. not a single person thought I should, yet I did. I have loved and continued to love this woman with all of my heart and have always given her the benefit of the doubt. In five years now I haven't considered that she even had any type of illness, yet I was subject to ALL of the abuse described in websites that outline what BPD is and what those on the receiving end will experience. I always made excuses for her behavior. Other people saw bits and pieces of it and knew something wasn't right. It's not just slight similarities.. I feel like someone was watching MY relationship and took notes. This is the person she was verbatim, and the person described in the relationship.. always wanting to hold on, save her, fix it, go back to the highs, etc etc was me.. exactly. I lived in this relationship day in and day out for the better part of my adulthood and there is no exaggeration here. I could list 500 more stories off the top of my head, even things that happened a week ago that would immediately fall into the category of being emotionally abused by this person or watching her do it to other people she cares about.

I remember during spring break reading some word document on her computer. I thought it was a school thing at first then realized it was just a random writing about how she felt. It said how her boyfriend (me) never wanted her and she was never enough. How her dad abandoned her and never loved her. Things about her mother. I was super thrown off by it at first.. I'd never seen her write anything so dark before. I didn't bring it up to her or anything. I just couldn't understand how she felt that way.. I always wanted her, she was always enough.. I bought her gifts and told her every single day that I loved her and how beautiful she is. It's like she never really listened to my words or paid attention to my good actions and believed whatever she wanted to. Always focused on my faults and my mess ups, even if they were 1% of the time and 99% of the time was good. Looking back this is probably the darkness she really feels.. the hurt, sad and emotionally abused girl she is deep down.

I appreciate the objectivity by those who don't agree, but in this case you simply don't know what you're talking about and I hope that you don't ever understand what it's like to give your everything to someone many many many many times and no matter if you were doing EXACTLY what she wanted, within a week it'd be back to you being wrong and doing it wrong. I went through some hard depression in my life for a while.. this girl told me depression doesn't exist, it's just people being weak and wanting to complain. Do you know how it feels to be told that you're a weak person by the one person you care about more than anything? That you're not really depressed? That it's all in your head and you could snap out of it at any moment but are too weak? All of this while struggling with the actual depression? I was kicked when I was down.. by the person who meant the world to me, who I tried to make happy every day for 4 years. It's not normal, it wasn't normal, and it's not "every woman" or me bringing her down to feel better about myself.

Thanks for the support from those who have been on the receiving end of this type of thing. It's heartbreaking to me that it all happened. It's heartbreaking to know if I ever brought it up she would flip it on me being crazy. It's heartbreaking to think that this new life she's living isn't going to make her happy either. She's such an amazing, smart, strong and passionate person.. I want her to be happy and taken care of.

Totally agree.. I'm glad there's so many people/sites that attack people that the r/s had already attacked and give the BPD the benefit of doubt instead of the one that lived with it for so long..b/c of the embarrassing stories they have to tell. You give the people that didn't live through it/extremely resistant to understand...WAY TOO MUCH ****ING CREDIT...but this place seems to be getting into a "kiss the ring" environ to me.

Whose ring/ass (prob same thing/area lol) do I have to kiss to get back to what we were doing b/f all the hate for our methods came in...please tell me old-timers..how to ****ing placate u? Slavery, victorian..ADHD..just so many irrelevant speed bumps to feel important...it worked..I'm distracted. I'm scared to talk anymore..open up anymore.. HAPPY?..I'm shouty...I'm an age you don't approve..I'm this and that...the worst person on earth... Now that we know that about me...can I get back to trying to read what others that have some exp with this has said....w/out feeling worse for doing it. Can I do that please?

PelicanPete

sinnister I dont understand your thought process.. It wasn't a personal attack in the slightest, and I didn't type this out to hide my own insecurity.. I just found the information that I learned interesting and thought other people would find it interesting as well. If anything your projecting the idea of projection to hide your own form of projection.

I'm not insecure about you labeling your ex with BPD. If you insist she has a bad dose of it and that you were a victim of it, I believe you.

Personally, my ex did some crummy things to me, but I'm not going to label her as having a mental disorder. If I want to I can call her a B.P.D.G.I.G.S person, but that isn't going to change anything. I accept that we aren't together anymore, and I hope she is really happy because everyone deserves happiness.

I mentioned the slavery "mental disorder" because I found it one of the more silly but real examples. If you prefer, I can mention "Stendhal Syndrome" which is "paranoia brought on by exposure to magnificent works of art". Hundreds of mild cases, and thousands unreported.. :rolleyes: 106 people touring Florence had to be admitted to hospital for medical attention because of this "mental disease".