Has anyone ever managed/supervised former peers?

laRubiaBonita
Yeah, I'm scared though that she will change her mind and not promote me if I try to challenge her. I mean, she does do some questionable things sometimes so it would be possible that it could happen.

i would just let it go. people in upper positions do tacky and unprofessional things all the time- really.

the head our HR told me after i was hired, that i was picked basically because i was younger... quickly followed by: i would most likely be more flexible and able to adjust to change.

you DO NOT say that! :eek:

it is just a nice reminder to you not to really trust anyone that you work with- sure there is some trust, but when the crap hits the fan you will know where not to turn.

BUT- i am glad things ended on a bright note!

it was wrong but I would let it go.

I used to have a manager that did all sorts up inappropriate stuff.

we hired this new really hot graphic designer and she basically outed him to everyone before he started. "don't, get to excited ladies he's gay!"

oh and she wanted me to work X-mas so she offered to watch my kid.

• Author

Yeah, I did try to ask when I would be starting my new position, and she told me that it was actually an "unofficial" promotion, which doesn't make sense because the girl's whose position it was already resigned and is no longer working full time. Supervisor also told me that she may make me stay at the same hours I am until they find my replacement, and have me attempt to manage my caseload during second shift, which will not work. But she is letting the woman covering for the woman who resigned drop back down to part time.

I'm kind of wishing she would have just waited to tell me that I got the promotion until she knew more about when I could start and when I would get my raise. She said at this point she doesn't know but would tell me as soon as she found out.

laRubiaBonita
I'm kind of wishing she would have just waited to tell me that I got the promotion until she knew more about when I could start and when I would get my raise. She said at this point she doesn't know but would tell me as soon as she found out.

at this point, LB, i wouldn't count on it until it is in writing.

Something I don't agree with also, my supervisor told my coworkers she was going to give me the therapist position before I even got there yesterday and told them not to tell me. So they already knew I didn't get the manager position before I did. I don't think that's right, I'm sort of hurt by that honestly...

I thought they didn't know you were interviewing?

• Author
I thought they didn't know you were interviewing?

I told two of my coworkers right before my interview, I'm not sure if they spread it around or not. They were all very supportive of me applying and also felt bad when I didn't get it. My supervisor didn't know that I had told my coworkers though, so in a way she probably violated my privacy? I don't know.

Yeah, she talked to me about it today. She hired someone from another unit with 8 years experience compared to my 2 years. And there were like 6 people who interviewed for the position, not 3 as I thought. So there was a lot of competition and I was on the low end of things. She said she was extremely impressed with my interview and there basically wasn't anything I could have done differently, she just hired someone with more experience. I actually wish that she would have just told me originally instead of the HR person.
So it was a valid reason to take someone else over you. See? You ARE the bomb. You just gotta fly your bomber a bit longer. :p

The other therapist who was on maternity leave came back part time today (she resigned her full time position), so my supervisor told me that she was giving me her position. So I will be getting my daylight hours and a $9,000 per year raise. So some good DID come out of it afterall. :)
Oh, yayyyy! What great news! I'm very happy for you, LB. :)
  • Author
So it was a valid reason to take someone else over you. See? You ARE the bomb. You just gotta fly your bomber a bit longer. :p

Oh, yayyyy! What great news! I'm very happy for you, LB. :)

Thank you! Apparently HR is making my supervisor actually post the job AND interview any canidates who apply and are qualified (internal), but she assures me that no matter what, I have the job. This just seems stupid to me, and pretty unfair to canidates interested in the job. My supervisor tried to argue with HR about this, but they say it's policy. So the job posting I guess has to be in effect for a week and then expire before I can get officially offered the job and sign the papers. Ugh.

I actually wonder how many other internal job postings have already been "fixed" in the fact that they have already determined who will get the job but have to go through the motions.

i would just let it go. people in upper positions do tacky and unprofessional things all the time- really.

the head our HR told me after i was hired, that i was picked basically because i was younger... quickly followed by: i would most likely be more flexible and able to adjust to change.

you DO NOT say that! :eek:

it is just a nice reminder to you not to really trust anyone that you work with- sure there is some trust, but when the crap hits the fan you will know where not to turn.

BUT- i am glad things ended on a bright note!

I totally agree. Keep your head down, do a great job, and keep your feelers out for new challenges.

Congratulations on the new position!