Has anyone ever managed/supervised former peers?

• Author
this is a great excercise in practicing patience!

I know! It's so hard! I see my supervisor everyday and I keep thinking "Did she make a decision, is she going to tell me today?"

• Author
and send her cookies too! ;):D

Hmm, it never occured to me to bribe her. Maybe I'll bring something in tomorrow. :laugh:

She said that her deadline was two weeks, but she wanted to make a decision sooner then that. Tomorrow will make 1 week. I got insider info that there were 3 of us being interviewed, I was interviewed last Friday, the other girl was on Tuesday, and I don't know when the final interview was scheduled.

Hmm, it never occured to me to bribe her. Maybe I'll bring something in tomorrow. :laugh:

She said that her deadline was two weeks, but she wanted to make a decision sooner then that. Tomorrow will make 1 week. I got insider info that there were 3 of us being interviewed, I was interviewed last Friday, the other girl was on Tuesday, and I don't know when the final interview was scheduled.

Hi Lauriebell,

Is there any possibility of a second round of interviews? Have you prepared for the possibility?

To answer your original inquiry, I think most former peers want to be assured that there is no favoritism, and that you will be fair. I think they also appreciate those that lead by example and keep their word.

Sounds like you'll do well if you get the job. :)

• Author
Hi Lauriebell,

Is there any possibility of a second round of interviews? Have you prepared for the possibility?

My supervisor didn't mention that there would be a second interview, I don't think my company usually does second interviews for internal canidates. I guess it is a possibility of it happening though. What kinds of questions do they ask at second interviews? I really haven't been on too many of them.

• Author
Second interviews are usually with folks of higher rank than the initial interview, but involve very similar questions.

Hmm, I don't even know who that would be, my supervisor is the director/head of my unit. The director of the entire building? I guess so. I don't think he usually ever interviews anyone though, the directors of the specific units usually do that and then make a decision.

Hi...On the opposite end, I am someone whose peer later became my supervisor. I won't lie, it was (and sometimes still is) awkward but it's not a problem. Daily, we don't have any issues but I think it's because aside from the hierarchy change, we did not change. There's no attitude. She talks to me like a peer and asks my opinions even though we both know she's the boss and will make the decisions. The only time I find the situation uncomfortable is during review time. It's hard to be judged. But she tries to be supportive. Hope that helps

My supervisor didn't mention that there would be a second interview, I don't think my company usually does second interviews for internal canidates. I guess it is a possibility of it happening though. What kinds of questions do they ask at second interviews? I really haven't been on too many of them.
Second interviews can be a tie-breaker between two candidates. They might ask questions to drill down or clarify issues, or ask situational questions that may prove one candidate over another.
  • Author
Hi...On the opposite end, I am someone whose peer later became my supervisor. I won't lie, it was (and sometimes still is) awkward but it's not a problem. Daily, we don't have any issues but I think it's because aside from the hierarchy change, we did not change. There's no attitude. She talks to me like a peer and asks my opinions even though we both know she's the boss and will make the decisions. The only time I find the situation uncomfortable is during review time. It's hard to be judged. But she tries to be supportive. Hope that helps

Thanks, your response does help. I have tried to put myself in my peers shoes and I would feel weird if one of them were to be promoted. I would approach my peers in a similar way I do now, respectful and understanding. I actually have thoughts on how to help them with what they struggle with.

That's okay, LB, and not really a reflection on you. You're still fairly new at your job, to be honest. But you got an interview! That's a great step, and it's always good to hone your interviewing skills.

Please don't let this get you down. :)

• Author
That's okay, LB, and not really a reflection on you. You're still fairly new at your job, to be honest. But you got an interview! That's a great step, and it's always good to hone your interviewing skills.

Please don't let this get you down. :)

Thank you for the encouragement. The other 2 applicants don't have that much more experience then me, so it will be interesting to see who she picked and how they do.

Darn. I was driving in to work thinking I needed to check for an update on this. I was hoping for a differed update. :(

Donna's right, it's no reflection on you. Keep your eye on the prize - that other position!! :bunny: And if that doesn't work, just keep on working on your management-like skills, and eventually you'll get in! :)

• Author
Darn. I was driving in to work thinking I needed to check for an update on this. I was hoping for a differed update. :(

Donna's right, it's no reflection on you. Keep your eye on the prize - that other position!! :bunny: And if that doesn't work, just keep on working on your management-like skills, and eventually you'll get in! :)

Thanks, SG. I do have the other job that I still need to hear about. I'm very disappointed but I will get over it. I'm trying not to internalize this, but I can't help but think negatively about myself if my own supervisor doesn't want me to a manager. Ugh.

First the superbowl, now this. :(

Thanks, SG. I do have the other job that I still need to hear about. I'm very disappointed but I will get over it. I'm trying not to internalize this, but I can't help but think negatively about myself if my own supervisor doesn't want me to a manager. Ugh.

First the superbowl, now this. :(

Please don't internalize it - easier said than done, I know. You're still very new in your career, all things considered. I'm sure it was a very difficult decision for her to make.

Has she come to you to talk to you about it?

LB

I'm sorry to hear the news

As SG has said, you do need to speak to HR (whether they come to you or you to them). Ask them for feedback on your application and interview - try to find the reasons for their decision. This works well on two sides - primarily it helps you develop yourself in your current role and also in how you apply for other posts. However it also helps your employer see that you are taking yourself and your career seriously.

• Author
Please don't internalize it - easier said than done, I know. You're still very new in your career, all things considered. I'm sure it was a very difficult decision for her to make.

Has she come to you to talk to you about it?

Yeah, she talked to me about it today. She hired someone from another unit with 8 years experience compared to my 2 years. And there were like 6 people who interviewed for the position, not 3 as I thought. So there was a lot of competition and I was on the low end of things. She said she was extremely impressed with my interview and there basically wasn't anything I could have done differently, she just hired someone with more experience. I actually wish that she would have just told me originally instead of the HR person.

The other therapist who was on maternity leave came back part time today (she resigned her full time position), so my supervisor told me that she was giving me her position. So I will be getting my daylight hours and a $9,000 per year raise. So some good DID come out of it afterall. :)

So I will be getting my daylight hours and a $9,000 per year raise. So some good DID come out of it afterall. :)

:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny: That's more like it

• Author
:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny: That's more like it

Thank you, it def. softened the blow. Of course I'm disappointed that I didn't get the manager position, I really did want it. My coworkers agreed that my supervisor should have been the one to tell me though, out of professional curteousy. I hope this manager does a good job, we've had trouble bringing in managers from outside the unit, they usually can't handle the chaos and stress. So we'll see!

• Author

Something I don't agree with also, my supervisor told my coworkers she was going to give me the therapist position before I even got there yesterday and told them not to tell me. So they already knew I didn't get the manager position before I did. I don't think that's right, I'm sort of hurt by that honestly...

You are right to feel bad about that. She was completely out of order in telling your colleagues before you knew. If I were you, I would let her know that you were unhappy about this as it put your colleagues in a difficult situation plus her primary duty should have been in notifying you.

• Author
You are right to feel bad about that. She was completely out of order in telling your colleagues before you knew. If I were you, I would let her know that you were unhappy about this as it put your colleagues in a difficult situation plus her primary duty should have been in notifying you.

Yeah, I'm scared though that she will change her mind and not promote me if I try to challenge her. I mean, she does do some questionable things sometimes so it would be possible that it could happen.