"The Grass Is Greener" Syndrome

I disagree with your theory. You are being to dam nice to your x-gf. Look it where it gets you? Nothing! She is probably have a good time banging someone else rite now. BTW, just in case her relationship fail, you might a chance with her but as a back-up plan. Is that what you want? Stopppppppppppp being a wusssy. Stop the bs sentimental value for the dumper. She/he dont deserve jack sh it. I am so sick and tired someone like you who comes on this board giving your advice about being nice to the ex. I said they dont deserve your kindness after they fk ur mind, took your heart, and shred every dynity in you.

agree on some level, i believe you should be civil with your ex being rude is just immature, but when it comes to a point what they want to reconcile you should let them know how you feel, what they have done and there is no future

• Like 2
i have come realize i don't believe in second chances in relationships, if the other person has been with someone else, reason being because when any individual bails on a relationship they have given on their partner and thrown in the towel to find that "greener grass"

BUT i do believe in space in a relationship because everyone needs space to focus on themselves may takes weeks or months, but keeping their partner in mind and not partying or ****ing someone else but to enhance themselves and develop independence

all relationship problems can be discussed if both individuals are at that maturity level, and maybe a few days of NC will do you both some good. Obviously if your ex is wanting to explore different people and avenues she doesn't love you enough to stay in the relationship

Breaking up with someone to **** other is just a slippery way of cheating. Agreed?

Yes, but they are also very immature. What would you do if many years down the road a ex crosses your path and is more mature and knows they made a mistakes? Would you shut them down for that still? I'm just wondering, I'm not defending anyone.

agree on some level, i believe you should be civil with your ex being rude is just immature, but when it comes to a point what they want to reconcile you should let them know how you feel, what they have done and there is no future

I think its depending on the situation. With my situation, I love her and gave her everything I got. I was faithful to her for 2.5 years. And what do I got in return? A cheating ex-gf with no moral compass and maturity.

• Like 4
Yes, but they are also very immature. What would you do if many years down the road a ex crosses your path and is more mature and knows they made a mistakes? Would you shut them down for that still? I'm just wondering, I'm not defending anyone.

Once again space is key, a few months of NC would clear your mind to show you if a serious relationship is what you want, if you do not want a serious relationship, then end it and live your party life and whenever you realize your ready, why should a dumpee give that person another chance? just to be tossed aside again when you need your party dosage?

i understand your post, if your willing to wait for your ex to grow up all the power to you, but when i am 100% over someone why would i be willing to give them another chance?

our hearts are weak but our brains are strong.

• Like 3
I think its depending on the situation. With my situation, I love her and gave her everything I got. I was faithful to her for 2.5 years. And what do I got in return? A cheating ex-gf with no moral compass and maturity.

ohh correct cheating is a different story thats just being a bitch

• Like 1
Once again space is key, a few months of NC would clear your mind to show you if a serious relationship is what you want, if you do not want a serious relationship, then end it and live your party life and whenever you realize your ready, why should a dumpee give that person another chance? just to be tossed aside again when you need your party dosage?

i understand your post, if your willing to wait for your ex to grow up all the power to you, but when i am 100% over someone why would i be willing to give them another chance?

our hearts are weak but our brains are strong.

Oh I never said I was going to wait. That would be a long time. We only live once and during that time I could find someone else who is more loving and caring.

You would think that break ups would make our heart just as smart as our brain. oh well.

and just a thought what if grass is greener on the other side. You see there is always a reason one will want to leave, if it's because you weren't what they wanted anymore than well so be it. Who cares if it's a phase or not, relationships end most of them do that's just their nature.

so why take it so seriously at a young age especially in your 20s.

I just say enjoy your life.

• Like 2
and just a thought what if grass is greener on the other side. You see there is always a reason one will want to leave, if it's because you weren't what they wanted anymore than well so be it. Who cares if it's a phase or not, relationships end most of them do that's just their nature.

so why take it so seriously at a young age especially in your 20s.

I just say enjoy your life.

Yea I'm 20. I know I will love again.

I know now that not all relationships last forever, especially at such a young age like me.

Now when I see "happy" couples walking around, I don't get depressed because I really don't know how their relationship is.

• Like 1
  • Author
I disagree with your theory. You are being to dam nice to your x-gf. Look it where it gets you? Nothing! She is probably have a good time banging someone else rite now. BTW, just in case her relationship fail, you might a chance with her but as a back-up plan. Is that what you want? Stopppppppppppp being a wusssy. Stop the bs sentimental value for the dumper. She/he dont deserve jack sh it. I am so sick and tired someone like you who comes on this board giving your advice about being nice to the ex. I said they dont deserve your kindness after they fk ur mind, took your heart, and shred every dynity in you.

I DID NOT LOVE HER (be nice) EXPECTING ANYTHING IN RETURN! MY LOVE IS NOT CONDITIAL!

I hope she is happy and having the time of her life, because I sure am!

What is there for her to take? How is she messing with my mind? I don't get my self worth or validation of who I am from the person I date. That comes from within. So what excatly is she taking?

You said "She/he dont deserve jack sh it. I am so sick and tired someone like you who comes on this board giving your advice about being nice to the ex. I said they dont deserve your kindness after they fk ur mind, took your heart, and shred every dynity in you."

Because we decided to break up? I am sorry, I just don't see it that way.

What would you have me do? Was I suppose to throw her out of the house that night even though she didn't have a place to stay? Why? What purpose does that serve?

If I use your logic, would I not be guilty of the EXACT same behaviour that you are now accusing her of? Would I not be trying to take her dignity? Screwing with her mind?

I cared about her and she cared about me. She was moved out within a month. We both enjoyed the remaining time we spent together. Why is that so bad?

Would it have been better for you if I kicked her out that night and then took her things and set them on fire in the front lawn? Would that make you happy?

The point of the matter is the only person you care about is yourself so you couldn't begin to understand what love is. Based on your response you also have no moral compass either.

We haven't had any contact for 7 months, we exchange a nice email in which we thanked each for the good times and wonderful memories. What is the big deal?

Will someone please explain to me and the rest of us here on LS why we are to punish, extract some sort of revenge or wish our ex harm, pain and suffering just due to the fact that a relationship ended?

I for the life of me cannot and will not understand.

Edited by homebrew
  • Like 3

The point of the matter is the only person you care about is yourself so you couldn't begin to understand what love is. Based on your response you also have no moral compass either.

We haven't had any contact for 7 months, we exchange a nice email in which we thanked each for the good times and wonderful memories. What is the big deal?

Will someone please explain to me and the rest of us here on LS why we are to punish, extract some sort of revenge or wish our ex harm, pain and suffering just due to the fact that a relationship ended?

You cannot understand because you think you know it all and mock those who disagree with you. You mock people who may be in pain and suffering. You know nothing about them, yet say they know nothing of love. Go back and read some of the replies you wrote. You are not the representative of the everyone on LS so don't presume to speak for everyone. People don't have to explain their feelings to you, sometimes venting helps them get by.

• Like 2
Honor and integrity are something that is earned not given. Most girls capitalize on what that weakness.

Exactly which is why a man should make a woman earn it first. Show basic civility but never go the extra mile until a woman proves she is worthy.

• Like 2

I'm experiencing the same thing right now. Our relation was about perfect, now my girlfriend (22 years old, been with me since 20) says that she is confused and such, and she is doing all the things stated on the first post. She said since the beginning to the end of the breakup she didn't want to lose me, but didn't want to be with me! Before reading this post I didn't know what to think, now it's a bit clearer.

• Like 3
If you cannot love another person without attaching stipulations, then it is not love at all, but deep-seated opportunism (one who makes the most of an advantage, often unmindful of others). If your interest is not in the other person as such, but rather in how that person can enhance your experience of life, then it is not love.

You don't OWN the person you are dating! Since when do you get to decide whether or not the reason they want / need to break up is acceptable or not?

Hey homebrew,

you have some interesting insights, seems to appeal to folks who haven't had too much serious relationship experience, but have gotten burned. But your stuff has sort of a "canned" flavor. Is this just some more of that PUA stuff from perhaps a different angle? A lot of your writing has a very "stiff" quality, almost as if it's from a telemarketing script.

I'm not saying you're not 100% sincere, and I'm not particularly differing on any of the content, but where is this content coming from?

• Like 2

I think homebrew might be some kind of promoter of some version of PUA stuff. That's kind of what a lot of his stuff reads like--seems not to care if a serious gf/bf goes out and has flings, supposedly we're supposed to be cool with that and just wait for the person to come back, if she/he comes back then ignore the betrayal?

PUA/"The Game" advocates have this attitude of not giving a hoot, I'm picking that up big time here.

I think most people with any degree of self-respect shouldn't be in any kind of rush to want to get back together with someone who steps out on them, at all.

I mean it's nice that homebrew's sister and her husband broke up for a year and then got back together. Of course we don't know any of the significant details.

But most guys I know would have a hard time getting back together with a gf who dumped them to spend a year banging other dudes (as homebrew is implying happens during these "breaks").

However I can see how his message would be really appealing to someone who is recently broken up and still shell shocked from it, esp. if they haven't been in too many serious relationships before their break up.

• Like 5
Yea I'm 20. I know I will love again.

I know now that not all relationships last forever, especially at such a young age like me.

Now when I see "happy" couples walking around, I don't get depressed because I really don't know how their relationship is.

Yes of course you will love again. The best thing to do after a break-up is to go out and have fun, but also do an honest evaluation of ones self to see if hey, maybe there are areas that I could improve in for my next relationship, none of us is perfect. Or figure out better what kind of a person you want to be with if compatibility was the issue.

Not to be too condescending, and this isn't meant to be pointed personally at you, but most guys and women in their early 20's are completely clueless about being able to maintain a stable committed long term relationship, not in our society.

We acculturate people of this age to remain emotional children, with no sense of maturity or responsibility.

To the extent people of that age ARE able to maintain a relationship, it tends to be over-romanticized and not based in reality. As soon as any kind of real-life bumps in the road occur, any kind of external stress on the relationship, it's prone to fall apart. The external stress can be almost anything: career, education, relatives, even exposure to other desirable-seeming potential partners.

• Like 3
This is about 50% completely wrong.

Dont send your a text telling they will "always be your baby"

How attractive do you think you are to someone when they have been out ****ing people and you lie there like a doormat and insinuate that you want to get back with them.

You know what builds attraction? Chasing, thats is, the only thing that will make her attracted to you here is your value going up, and he wanting it.

And that is when she will chase

If she does not think you are over it, then she does not have to balance the feelings of being broken up.

because in her head she knows she can get you back at any point

And besides that, we are men. GIG syndrom. What the **** ever.

If she wants to go out an **** other guys fine. But dont take her back.

Dont even contemplate taking her back and dont play all this stupid nice guy bull****. Tell her to **** off and blank her calls.

She is ****ing other people. She doesnt deserve to be pampered and "understood"

Im sorry, but she wants dick, she is out there trying to get as much dick as possible. And the only reason she will ever want your dick again is if the dick she is currently getting gets boring.

Are you going to sit there and wait for that to happen?

Or are you going to man up and go and **** some other women?

****ing hell, what happened to being a man, its becoming embarrassing!!

And i would just like to add, that this whole post is made to make the author feel scientific about their weak behaviour.

You dont sound clever, you just sound hung up

And everyone agreeing. be honest. You are only agreeing because you want reason to forgive your ex if she ever takes your pathetic ass back once shes got tired of getting boned by everyone else

MAN UP!!

BEST ****ING POST EVER!

This bull**** thread needs to be torn the **** down. GIGS is a nice way of accepting that you fcked up and became weak, and that ITS NOT YOUR FAULT. There's something inherently wrong with the dumper that wanted to escape your ridiculous behaviour. Yes, i'm sure that's what it is.

Just accept your shortcomings and move on.

Man the **** up people.

Just to clear it up for those that aren't grasping the very basic concepts of human attraction an relationships;

A person will only ever break up with you because they lose interest in you. They don't want to have sex with you anymore. They aren't attracted to you.

EVERYTHING else that is said during a break up just serves to relieve that person's guilt, and let you down easier. E.g. 'i want to do other things' is often the easiest thing to say. Recently, i let a girl down with 'i'm not ready for a relationship yet'. Nope, i just lost interest in her that way. If you guys man up long enough to experience the shoe on the other foot, then things from when you were broken up with become a lot clearer.

• Like 3
I DID NOT LOVE HER (be nice) EXPECTING ANYTHING IN RETURN! MY LOVE IS NOT CONDITIAL!

Frankly, other than perhaps with respect to the relationship between an extremely devoted mother and her infant child, I don't really think there is realistically any such thing as "unconditional love."

Certainly, not between two mature adults, that is.

In a love relationship, we all have expectations to one degree or another, and we all have conditions. These may be implied or unstated, or even unrecognized to exist by ourselves, but yet they are still there.

It is extremely significant homebrew that you are in denial that your love came with expectations and conditions. As all loves do. This is simply not realistic and you can't really help yourself or others if you don't have a solid grasp on the real world.

I hope she is happy and having the time of her life, because I sure am!

Break-ups and heart aches are part of life. The human experience, for each of us, is not meant to be a perpetual roller coaster of bliss. If the reason you and she broke up is that she did you wrong, while I hope she is "happy," I would also hope that she has learned something so she can avoid making the same mistake in her next relationship. Because ultimately most people who establish a pattern of bad relationships end up unfulfilled somewhere down the road.

I take it most of the people posting in this thread are in their early 20's. A few messed up relationships in one's early to mid 20's isn't going to ruin anyone (I hope). However if it continues into one's 30's a person can have real problems ever establishing a fulfilling intimate relationship with someone else.

What is there for her to take? How is she messing with my mind? I don't get my self worth or validation of who I am from the person I date. That comes from within. So what excatly is she taking?

You're spending an awful lot of time thinking about someone who isn't messing with your mind. Aren't you?

I think it's also unrealistic to claim that you get zero self worth/validation from who you date. The reality is that most of us get a lot of personal validation from their partner, that's one of the reasons people look for partners. It makes them feel good (if it's a healthy relationship).

You said "She/he dont deserve jack sh it. I am so sick and tired someone like you who comes on this board giving your advice about being nice to the ex. I said they dont deserve your kindness after they fk ur mind, took your heart, and shred every dynity in you."

Because we decided to break up? I am sorry, I just don't see it that way.

The other guy is just stating an opinion homebrew, a "realist" type opinion. Maybe a little cynical/bitter as well, but so what?

What would you have me do? Was I suppose to throw her out of the house that night even though she didn't have a place to stay? Why? What purpose does that serve?

Homebrew you do whatever it is that makes you happy.

If I use your logic, would I not be guilty of the EXACT same behaviour that you are now accusing her of? Would I not be trying to take her dignity? Screwing with her mind?

Wow you're really getting defensive here.

I cared about her and she cared about me. She was moved out within a month. We both enjoyed the remaining time we spent together. Why is that so bad?

You don't have to justify yourself to anyone. Some people just have different opinions than yours though. It comes from their experience.

Would it have been better for you if I kicked her out that night and then took her things and set them on fire in the front lawn? Would that make you happy?

Arson is rarely an effective solution for a person's relationship problems, no matter what you may see on the "Lifetime" channel from time to time.

I don't think these comments are fair. It's pretty obvious you're still very bitter and hurt over your break up. That pretty much supports the point these other guys are trying to make--rather than pretend to do a happy-dance and that you're all zenned out that your ex is banging other guys, let your true emotions come out of sadness and anger and all that "bad" stuff that you insist on keeping shoved down inside. Let it come out, grieve, and you will get over it faster. Decide that it's finished for good, and Move on.

It depends on why you broke up. If you guys are such great friends, you loved her unconditionally, why did you guys break up? You can't pretend that doesn't impact you emotionally, in a major negative way.

No the idea is to minimize the punishment and torture a person is inflicting on themselves after a break up. Don't pretend you aren't still angry and hurt at someone who tore your heart out. Don't pretend you don't have feelings like everyone else does. If you pretend all you do is make things harder on yourself.

Rejection from someone you thought you loved and who you thought felt the same way is never going to be an easy experience no matter how much you try to sugar coat it.

Sometimes life gives us a bitter pill to swallow. If that happens, pretending that it's a piece of candy may just mislead you into swallowing more bitter pills than you really need to.

• Like 4
Just to clear it up for those that aren't grasping the very basic concepts of human attraction an relationships;

A person will only ever break up with you because they lose interest in you. They don't want to have sex with you anymore. They aren't attracted to you.

EVERYTHING else that is said during a break up just serves to relieve that person's guilt, and let you down easier. E.g. 'i want to do other things' is often the easiest thing to say. Recently, i let a girl down with 'i'm not ready for a relationship yet'. Nope, i just lost interest in her that way. If you guys man up long enough to experience the shoe on the other foot, then things from when you were broken up with become a lot clearer.

Well people really don't need to experience the shoe on the other foot to understand things much clearer. They just need to open their eyes and actually read the advice that was give by people who actually have experienced this shoe on the other foot.

• Like 1

I feel the key thing that has been mentioned is that regardless of what reason was provided, you need to acknowledge their decision and focus on giving yourself the love you deserve. If they come back, evaluate how you feel then. If they don't, there are no hard feelings because you've continued to forge ahead anyway.

Yes, my ex fit the GIGS criteria as he said he doesn't know who he is or what he wants but sometimes people honestly don't know what they want. You can't blame them for being honest. And I would cringe to think that if they stayed, everytime I held their hand or tried to kiss them they would be secretly dying inside. That's awful.

• Like 8
I feel the key thing that has been mentioned is that regardless of what reason was provided, you need to acknowledge their decision and focus on giving yourself the love you deserve. If they come back, evaluate how you feel then. If they don't, there are no hard feelings because you've continued to forge ahead anyway.

Yes, my ex fit the GIGS criteria as he said he doesn't know who he is or what he wants but sometimes people honestly don't know what they want. You can't blame them for being honest. And I would cringe to think that if they stayed, everytime I held their hand or tried to kiss them they would be secretly dying inside. That's awful.

Very very very true.

• Like 3

BANG ON!

Like i said before, how many women have broken up with Brad Pitt?

Did any of his gfs decide they needed "space to find themself"

Once the attraction is gone the only way you can keep a shred of it is by being a man and giving them nothing. No emotion, no contact , nothing.

So you need to man up, now.

Take this from the womans point of view. She dumped you then hung around for a month while u soothed her through it. She moved out, you were there to help her. She gets an email 6 months later letting her know you still love her.

She has never actually had to come to terms with a break up, and when she does it will be too far down the line for her to care.

Come on guys. We are men, we can take whatver comes our way. We give respect when its earned.

There is no need to embarrass ourselves with this weak minded logic

• Like 3
  • Author

I ENDED A 5 YEAR RELATIONSHIP DUE TO G.I.G.S.

Met the most amazing girl when I was 19, we fell madly in love with one another. I cared very deeply for her. We did everything together and enjoyed each other's company. We were best friends that shared and knew everything about each other. We grew up together. She was beautiful, smart and funny. Out of everyone I ever dated, she is by far the best person, best lover, best friend I have ever known.

I ended the relationship due to G.I.G.S. when I was 24 years old, I am now 38.

My feelings for her, what she means to me, how wonderful I think she is, my attraction to her have not changed. They did not change before the break up, during the break up and 14 years after the break up. To this day, I still think about her, I still wonder how she is doing, things still remind me of her. I still miss things about her and our relationship. I wonder if she feels the same.

I was happy in the relationship, we were madly in love and talked about getting married. There were no problems or issues with her or the relationship whatsoever. Everything I always wanted and dreamed of in a girl / relationship was there. I had a great job and a promising career ahead of me. I had friends a wonder family. You could say, at that point in my life, I had everything I wanted and needed.

Around the age of 23 (a year before the break up), I felt something was missing, something I needed to do, something that I needed to prove to myself. I didn't know what that was, I couldn't put my finger on it. I thought about it and struggled with it for a year.

At the age of 24, I broke up with my girlfriend who I had dated for 5 wonderful years. I finally came to the conclusion that I needed to figure out what it was I wanted and needed for my life. I did not think or feel that I could do that while I was in a committed relationship. I did not think it was fair to her if I stayed and continued in the relationship. My heart was broken (due to the hurt I put her through) before the break up, during the break up and after the break up. In fact, I felt bad about breaking her heart for years after the relationship ended. After the break up, I was worried about how she was doing, was she happy, was she going to forgive me for hurting her. It was a very difficult to break up with her and even harder letting go. However, I thought I was doing what was in my best interest and in a way hers.

Now fast forward 3 years later, I am now 27. Between that time, I traveled, climbed the corporate ladder, made new friends, partying, etc. I also dated a great deal and also had a long term relationship. I had a good time and experience! Throughout that time, I still thought of my ex, missed her and wondered how she was doing.

I was starting to get tired of the single life, I just did not get as much enjoyment out of it as I once did. I started to think more and more about my ex, started to think how happy I was when I was with her, I started to think even more about what life would be like with her (I was already doing this after the break up), I was looking around and it was plain to me that nobody I had dated or met up that point compared to her. I started talking to my friends and family about her and if I should pursue her again, I couldn't stop myself... Thoughts of her and I were consuming me.

One day I woke up, I woke up and thought to myself. I have to make that girl mine! I couldn't imagine going through life another day without her! I had to have her!

So what did you think I did?

I went and tracked her down (Before the internet) and started calling her. I couldn't wait for to see her and be reunited with her. Nothing on this earth could have made me happier. It took a while (days and days of phone calls and leaving voicemails) to finally convince her to go have lunch with me. I was so excited! I could not contain myself, I was telling anyone who would like that I was going to be going on a date with the most amazing, beautiful girl in the world!

So what happened?

We did not work out because she I already fallen in love with someone and had just gotten engaged. She is very happily married and they have 3 wonderful kids together. We still talk and get together every couple of years and it is great to catch up with her and see what is going on in her life.

My advice if your relationship ended due to G.I.G.S.

First - Love yourself and heal.

Second - Move on

My ex did. Had she not healed herself and moved on, she would have made it impossible for me to want to be with her.

FACT: I had G.I.G.S. and I felt the need to end a 5 year relationship for "Greener Grass".

Was there ever any hatred or ill will on my part in my story? Did you get the sense that I had no regard for her feelings and all I cared about was having sex with as many people as I could? Was I taking enjoyment on the fact that I was causing her pain and grief due to the end of the relationship? Did I not still think and care about her long after the break up?

I am just one example, there are a couple of other people in earlier in the thread that are experiencing G.I.G.S. I also know several family members and friends that have gone through it as well. Some even have ended up getting married and are still to this day. Also, read through the forums, how many "I broke up and made a terrible mistake" threads do you see. Go read their stories... They are a lot like mine that I just shared.

FACT: Second chances are possible and they do happen.

Until you have moved on and are fully healed, this very fact will cause you anger, confusion and sleepless nights. It will be a very difficult idea / concept for you to accept or imagine. The reason why, if the ex does not return, on a daily basis you have to go through the process of being rejected by them all over again.

So when the same 3 - 4 angry and bitter idiots on this thread tell you that the person with G.I.G.S. ended the relationship because they hate you, wish you harm, never cared for you in the first place, just broke up to have sex with as many people so they can spite you. Now you know why, They have to deny second chances exist and / or convince themselves that anyone who breaks up for any reason was cruel, twisted and evil.

Once you are healed and you are over it… You will spend little if no time thinking about a second chance. Then and only then, would you ever have a chance at being successful with one should your ex return. Either way, you will not care.

I hope other people that ended a relationship due to G.I.G.S. post their stories in here. It would be helpful to others.

Good Luck Everyone!

• Like 7

"The point of the matter is the only person you care about is yourself so you couldn't begin to understand what love is. Based on your response you also have no moral compass either"

How can you claim that I have no moral compass? You dont know me! You must be delusional about love, and love relationship!

TheMenemy- Well put! I agree everything you said.