Spookie's job search

• Author
eerie_reverie

Any last minute pointers???

I have some last minute questions to you experienced folks, actually.

Is the interview an appropriate place to inquire about promotions, leadership opportunities etc? I want as much info as I can get before making a decision. However, I don't want to scare them by putting the cart before the horse, or whatever the expression is.

Is the interview an appropriate place to inquire about promotions, leadership opportunities etc? I want as much info as I can get before making a decision. However, I don't want to scare them by putting the cart before the horse, or whatever the expression is.

Not sure. I think you could ask a question like "can you give me some ideas about what kind of career paths would be available to me?" If someone asked me that, I would think it was a fair question. On the other hand, every company promotes people. And most people get promotions by going to other companies. You can take those things for granted. So it's probably not really worth asking. I wouldn't inquire about raises or reviews or how quickly you could move into management.

Just relax and go be yourself. Smile. Be a bit humble. Do NOT go on and on when they ask a question. Answer it, expand a little, and then stop. They are looking for a personable, bright, team player who is willing to learn and excited about learning something new. You don't have to know everything or be an expert. It's good if you have some questions to ask of your own about the subject matter and about the team structure, systems, processes, etc. Maybe also about things like flex time. If you have no questions of your own, you can come off as apathetic.

Edited by johan
desertIslandCactus

I don't think the interview is an appropriate place to inquire of your wishes/interests (even before this job market)..

If you are hired (they want you), then you can ask questions about benefits, opportunities, salary - and still be free to turn the job down if you don't want it ..

• Author
eerie_reverie
Not sure. I think you could ask a question like "can you give me some ideas about what kind of career paths would be available to me?" If someone asked me that, I would think it was a fair question. On the other hand, every company promotes people. And most people get promotions by going to other companies. You can take those things for granted. So it's probably not really worth asking. I wouldn't inquire about raises or reviews or how quickly you could move into management.

Just relax and go be yourself. Smile. Be a bit humble. Do NOT go on and on when they ask a question. Answer it, expand a little, and then stop. They are looking for a personable, bright, team player who is willing to learn and excited about learning something new. You don't have to know everything or be an expert. It's good if you have some questions to ask of your own about the subject matter and about the team structure, systems, processes, etc. Maybe also about things like flex time. If you have no questions of your own, you can come off as apathetic.

Fair enough. I think they will like me. I am likable and at this point in my career very confident.

• Author
eerie_reverie

I just talked to my drunk friend, the one who works for this company, and she confessed they are "desperate" because people keep leaving for better/ better paying opportunities elsewhere. She said she was surprised I was looking for another job.

Hmmmmmm.

florence of suburbia
I just talked to my drunk friend, the one who works for this company, and she confessed they are "desperate" because people keep leaving for better/ better paying opportunities elsewhere. She said she was surprised I was looking for another job.

Hmmmmmm.

Is she drunk all the time or just right now?

desertIslandCactus

Hmmmmmm.

Give it your best shot anyway (in case she's wrong about their desparation) ;)

After you get in, you can always work your way up to better position, pay.

• Author
eerie_reverie
Give it your best shot anyway (in case she's wrong about their desparation) ;)

After you get in, you can always work your way up to better position, pay.

I'd normally agree with this, but seeing as how I'm already profitably employed, it seems dumb to manufacture an uphill battle for myself.

desertIslandCactus
I'd normally agree with this, but seeing as how I'm already profitably employed, it seems dumb to manufacture an uphill battle for myself.

I'm sorry. Why are you changing jobs ?

• Author
eerie_reverie
I'm sorry. Why are you changing jobs ?

I've been in love with my boss for three year and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of myself.

• Author
eerie_reverie

Today was cancer awareness day, which seemed appropriate as I went to an ultrasound for my tumors, before heading to the interview.

I felt so guilty asking for time off for the appointments. My boss emailed me, "Good luck at the doctor's! I'm sure it will turn out ok!" making me feel even more treacherous.

__'s offices are downtown, on the 4th floor of a large building overlooking the river. The reception hall had bare beige walls, contemporary furniture, and modern sculptures.

I met with the HR woman first. I hadn't prepared, but I'd gotten lots of sleep and drank a s!htload of coffee, so I was on top of my game as far as being able to think on the spot goes. It seemed like the standard questioning, what are your strenghts, what's yoru biggest weakness, what would your co-workers say about you. I told her they'd probably need grief counseling if I resigned, which is probably true. Then I went on and on about values, which my current company highly encourages everyone to be in touch with; and the importance of trust and communication. Honestly, I think she loved me.

Then I met with my potential future boss, a thin, spidery woman in her 40's, with a cropped haircut and glasses. My friend's comment about her was that she's a nice interviewer, if not necessarily a nice boss. Perhaps it was this bias, but I didn't get a particular warm feeling about her. She was very dramatic with her hand motions, but still managed to make the job seem pretty boring, and was kind of a btch when my phone went off in the middle of our conversation. :laugh: But I think they are desperate as 4/5 positions in the department are currently open, and I'm their best candidate. So, to make a long story short, I bet I'm getting an offer. But I don't think I'll be able to leave my current company.

I could leave my family to move to a different state. I could leave all my friends behind and never look back.

But I can't leave ___. ___ is where my heart is.

What is ___-____ ? Also you should put your phone number in your signature. It's hard to give advice when you've left out so many details.

What is ___-____ ? Also you should put your phone number in your signature. It's hard to give advice when you've left out so many details.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I think it ___.____ is really (.) (.) :lmao: Ok ok I jest.

I think it is really her crush on her boss. Anyway, good luck on the job offer and job search.

desertIslandCactus
I've been in love with my boss for three year and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of myself.

That's as Good a reason as any.

I left a job for a similar reason many years ago. My mother was so mad at me because they had just promoted me.

Anyway .. after just months of being on the next job, I met my husband and we were married three months later ..

Today was cancer awareness day, which seemed appropriate as I went to an ultrasound for my tumors, before heading to the interview.

I felt so guilty asking for time off for the appointments. My boss emailed me, "Good luck at the doctor's! I'm sure it will turn out ok!" making me feel even more treacherous.

__'s offices are downtown, on the 4th floor of a large building overlooking the river. The reception hall had bare beige walls, contemporary furniture, and modern sculptures.

I met with the HR woman first. I hadn't prepared, but I'd gotten lots of sleep and drank a s!htload of coffee, so I was on top of my game as far as being able to think on the spot goes. It seemed like the standard questioning, what are your strenghts, what's yoru biggest weakness, what would your co-workers say about you. I told her they'd probably need grief counseling if I resigned, which is probably true. Then I went on and on about values, which my current company highly encourages everyone to be in touch with; and the importance of trust and communication. Honestly, I think she loved me.

Then I met with my potential future boss, a thin, spidery woman in her 40's, with a cropped haircut and glasses. My friend's comment about her was that she's a nice interviewer, if not necessarily a nice boss. Perhaps it was this bias, but I didn't get a particular warm feeling about her. She was very dramatic with her hand motions, but still managed to make the job seem pretty boring, and was kind of a btch when my phone went off in the middle of our conversation. :laugh: But I think they are desperate as 4/5 positions in the department are currently open, and I'm their best candidate. So, to make a long story short, I bet I'm getting an offer. But I don't think I'll be able to leave my current company.

I could leave my family to move to a different state. I could leave all my friends behind and never look back.

I hate female bosses. Most females that are in position of power are hardened bi%atches (my experience anyway). Male bosses are SO much better and easier to get along with.

• Author
eerie_reverie
I hate female bosses. Most females that are in position of power are hardened bi%atches (my experience anyway). Male bosses are SO much better and easier to get along with.

Heh until you fall in love with them.

They haven't called me back. I don't know if I overestimated how well the interview went or what. In retrospect, I probably sounded like an ad for my current company. Maybe that was a turnoff? I started every sentences with, "Another thing I love about <my current company> is....."

I also failed to send a thank you note.

In other news, I got a raise at my current job today, and my boss mentioned a promotion at the end of the year.