Is it true that a guy is only as faithful as his options?

Originally posted by dyermaker

One could say the same about women, and I think one just did.

A fantastic sampling of the male population.

I guess I don't get your comments. Are you being rude or am I missing something?

I find your comments misandristic, and your research inconclusive. You fail to recognize that women and men are both guilty of transgressions, in large numbers.

I find your comments misandristic, and your research inconclusive. You fail to recognize that women and men are both guilty of transgressions, in large numbers.

When did she claim to be doing research, or basing her obvious OPINIONS on research?

As for both men and women both being guilty of cheating, I don't think she ever once said anything to the contrary.....but the question at hand was related to men only/specifically. Far as I can see, it's not a competition here to see who cheats more or less, men or women. The question posed was about men and cheating.

PS....are you a Beatles fan? ;)

Originally posted by befuddled11

When did she claim to be doing research, or basing her obvious OPINIONS on research?

The use of the word research was sarcasm, it was a clear objection to her basing her generalizations on the few cases she's experienced. It's a sad fallacy that people think that because they have opinions, no one can disagree with them.

As for the question at hand, she aptly answered it. I just objected to her answer. Am I, pray tell, entitled to such an opinion?

PS....are you a Beatles fan? ;)

Christ, it's Jimmy Page.

As for the Beatles, I enjoy listening to their music, but I consider them a bit repetitive, and more of a group of entertainers, not musicians.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Trust me, I have no contempt towards men. And of course I haven't done any "research," nor did I imply I had. I was merely expressing my personal experiences and observations. I totally agree with you that both sexes are guilty of transgressions.

Christ, it's Jimmy Page.

Yardbirds? Or even prior to that?

Ah, many thanks.

By the way J, I kind of agree with you.

In my experience MOST men are pretty sleezy and will jump strange if given the chance.

The point though is that not all men will do this, and that some of us actually walk the line and sexually fixate on our partner, and no others.

Originally posted by fragileone

I was told, if a man can engage in a sexual activity with an attractive female with no risks of STD's or getting caught, he will do so. And if he does pass up such an opportunity, he will regret it and surely not pass it up next time around. Any second opinions?

Assuming you mean this as a general statement for ALL men. No. It's not true. It's silly. Would all woman engage in sexual activity or have regrets if the tables are turned?

Not all men screw around or would given the best of opportunities. Sometimes, love and respect within a relationship/marriage are actually in place.

Some men will not cheat.

These men who do cheat either have a certain situation that led to this, or something in their character that reconciles this with themselves.

Some women will cheat.

The women who do cheat either have a certain situation that led to this, or something in their character that reconciles this with themselves.

Why are we focused so much on the gender, when it's painfully irrelevant?

Why are we focused so much on the gender, when it's painfully irrelevant?

Good question.

Perhaps it's because we usually (note: I said USUALLY) see men as the pursuers of woman in our society, and not the other way around.

Or maybe it's just because I know tons of men that do these kinds of bad things and I don't know any woman that do these things.

Life experience has to count for something I suppose.

Maybe I'm just being naive about the woman though.

As many women can attest on these Boards, both wives and the "other woman," gender is painfully relevant to the infidelity question.

That doesn't mean that all husbands cheat. They do not.

That doesn't mean that all wives are faithful. They are not.

We are, by necessity, in the realm of gender generalizations. A gender generalization was the basis for the question that began this Thread.

Whether based on experience, statististics or observation and anecdote, many people believe that married men, all things being equal, demonstrate a greater likelihood of cheating than married women. That proposition is unremarkable and is probably in accordance with most adult experience.

By acknowledging the obvious, no one is slandering all men,or overlooking that there are, in fact, good, honest and faithful men out there. So what. Just because there were "good Germans" in the 30s and 40s does not mean that historians are unable to draw, or prohibited from drawing, lessons from Nazism and many Germans' role as Hitler's willing executioners.

So many of us focus on gender because gender, whether in large or small part, is perceived as relevant to the infidelity question.

I haven't got the link handy, but one of the sex shows (the educational type) did an experiment at a university. A pretty woman approached male students and offered them sex with no strings. A very large percentage of the men accepted (something like 67% or more). Then a good-looking guy approached female students with the same offer. Not one woman accepted.

As a complete aside:

Hitler's Willing Executioners

- excellent book, by the way, Jester. I am assuming you read it; it was good. :)

Moi, that is an interesting study. I am not surprised by it.

During the darkest days of my marital strife, I examined every marriage around me. I was looking for one that was stable, or strong or whatever... something good to bolster my faith, I guess. I came away learning that in my circle, at least, far more women were cheaters than men!. Five to one, in fact. (no one here gets out alive...j/k). I know that it is anecdotal, un-scientific and has a very narrow base. I only offer it as my own, personal observation.

Now, that also may be because I don't make too many male friends :(... Heck, I like football, swear and drink scotch, but maybe I don't have what would be typically termed a "guy mentality" I don't know... But that may be why I don't know more than one male cheater. (And no, those were not guesses, they were spoken to me by the cheaters themselves)

Originally posted by moimeme

A pretty woman approached male students and offered them sex with no strings. A very large percentage of the men accepted (something like 67% or more). Then a good-looking guy approached female students with the same offer. Not one woman accepted.

If these were all single....I'm surprised the numbers for males were so low. The female response was REALLY a surprise. Maybe they should've had a sailor ask......hahahahaha!

Hitler's Willing Executioners

Good eye, Benedict. That's what I was referring to. I find the pictures in that book to be very disquieting. But you're right, it's a damn good book.

cite source on statistic.

nah, you're a lawyer - or at least I believe that's what you said last time

Originally posted by jenny

cite source on statistic.

It's an impossible statistic to reap, as it comes from hypothetical situations.

Originally posted by orange county

dont need to. I am an MFT

What's a MFT?

Anyone?