I really, really, REALLY like the idea of buying local (which given my area is NOT difficult at all), but is local "organic"? I see crop dusters all the time...

This is a good point. Earlier we were starting to blur the lines between the facets of locally grown food and organically grown food. Local does not necessarily equal organic as defined by the USDA.

If given the option I will always always buy veggies from road side stands, same thing with eggs. Not for any health reasons but just because it tastes better.

In the store I will never buy anything with the word 'organic' on it just out of principal, because many of the companies who put the word organic on their food aren't even what we think of as organic because the FDA requirements to put the word 'organic' on things is relatively vague.

I think this whole organic craze is just another way for companies to get people to pay more money for the same food.

well less polution of water sources means more potable water.

Also top soil is left in tact when sustainable farming techniques are used.

Buying LOCAL means water is likely to remain where the populations is and less gas is usedi n transporting.

Plus on a seperate issue I don't believe in moving water from one area to another like what is being aloud to happen in places like california. Its not sustainable and is a waste.

Ok, so now that it's morning and I'm feeling a whole lot 'peppier', I'll explain why this is ill-informed.

Potable Water: ALL water in the U.S. has to go through primary (physical) and secondary (biological/chemical) treatment before it is considered potable. You will be hard pressed to find sources of water ANYWHERE in the U.S. that are potable without at least some level of treatment. Tertiary treatment, which is not commonly done in the U.S. due to its high costs, involves a higher level of chemical treatment used to neutralize things like pharmaceuticals that make their way into the water supply (PRIMARILY from human use, not agriculture). Nitrates and Phosphates, the primary make up of fertilizers, are removed during the secondary treatment phase in a water treatment plan. Most municipalities' water quality standards far exceed those that are laid out by the EPA. It's true that organic farming practices DO have a lower runoff of Nitrates and Phosphates, but arguing that it's somehow screwing up our supply of potable water shows ignorance of how water is delivered to your faucet. The higher rates of Nitrates/Phosphates simply increases the costs of water treatment, which is a small price to pay for increased food production.

Topsoil Stripping: I'm not a farmer, but how does it make sense that a massive farming operation would have it in their best interests to strip topsoil? Poor irrigation practices are the primary culprit for topsoil stripping. This isn't an organic vs. inorganic issue, but an issue of poor/archaic farming practices vs. modern/highly optimized farming practices. You said it yourself, Green, in an earlier post. Water is "blue gold", especially out here in the Western U.S. Water shares are immensely expensive, and taking too much water (going over share) WILL result in a lawsuit. No fines, no slap on the wrist, but a full-blown legal battle. In addition to the negative consequences of poor irrigation, optimized irrigation is more profitable.

Buying Local: It always feels good to support the "little guy" and your local sellers. There is nothing wrong with it. However, under the current demands of our society, we cannot simply rely on locally grown food. For example, let's say you live in Las Vegas, Nevada. You and I both know that there is not enough arable land in that area to sustain the population. This is also true for practically every major city in the U.S.

"I Don't Believe In Transporting Water": Modern society as we know it would not exist without controlling the flow of water. Again, say goodbye to places like Las Vegas, NV, Los Angeles, CA, and numerous other places. Their populations would not be sustainable without water being transported to them or retaining their natural water supplies (via dams, etc.). Water storage and transport facilities are needed to sustain the population that we currently have everywhere in the U.S. This is not a problem in the western states alone. Without the transport and storage of water, agriculture would cease to exist, cities would vanish, and our dwindling population would be forced to live in a very close proximity to our lakes, rivers, streams, etc. Our supply of "potable" water would quickly disappear as the water got more foul by the day due to everyone doing their cooking, cleaning, bathing, and pooping/peeing by/in the water source. This is how places like India are. This is why waterborne diseases are rampant in third world countries. Visit a place like that for a couple of months and tell me you don't see the need for water storage and transportation systems.

And I'm spent.

I really, really, REALLY like the idea of buying local (which given my area is NOT difficult at all), but is local "organic"? I see crop dusters all the time...

I depends where you buy it. they are certain bench marks that a farm has to meet to be cosidered organic.

During the summer I got to the farmers market where I live they are big into organic so all the farms here are organic.

Also you can get local grass fed beef, local eggs and chickens and local organic milk. You can also get raw milk but I don't know how I feel about that.

The local in season produce tastes so much better than store bought stuff. the chicken and eggs taster better as well. I haven't tried a lot of beef yet.

But nothing beats local strawberries they are worht the extra $$.

I was thinking of getting some meat in bulk. You can buy a cow and have is butchered and freeze the meat. That way it is a little cheaper.

Yes,

I'm urged to buy organic by my son, especially dairy products.

I'm not exactly thrilled to pay 6+ dollars for a gallon of milk but otherwise my son won't drink it.

I guess...

Organic food and practices would not be feasible, and can literally not be put into place on a large scale. the world cannot afford it.

However, organic food IS closer to how humans have evolved eating for thousands and thousands of years. I do not feel that our bodies can go thousands of years ( the majority of our evolution) without these newly created chemicals in our foods, and then in our very recent history, go from NO chemicals in food, to LOADS Of chemials in food.

No "added" chemials in our food is good for us. Real, propper, whole food, with zero added chemicals, is the way humans are designed to eat. Just because we can tollerate chemicals in our food, that does not mean they are optimal for us. Our bodies still have not embraced them or fully adapted; look at all the new diseases that have come about since about the time chemicals were readily consumed.

Hokie- for a health consious guy, I am surprised that you think a cocktail of chemicals in our food is fine. Builds up immunity; in our toxic world yes, it technically would build up immunity, however, it is just crazy to eat these thousands of chemicals, which have only been around for a VERY SHORT period of time throughout human evolution; our bodies DO NOT like them.

Organic food to me, is the way food is supposed to be injested. Chemicals in our food serve as a means to feed the world; we do need chemicals and pestercides and what not. On the other hand, our bodies do not need the chemicals, and would be better off without them.

I buy organic when possible. Okay so I buy a lot of organic. Things like apples, celery, strawberries and grapes are thigns I WILL NOT touch unless organic.

Although like others have said, sweet potato's and bananas and foods that have a thicker skin, I feel comfortable eating.

It is not just the chemicals in our food that I am diguisted in; the face care products we use, make up, make up remover, our house hold cleaning products.. it is all totally bizarre for our bodies to just be exposed to SO many chemicals that are put together in a sciene lab.

The way the entire world is in every respect in terms of chemical exposure, is totally out of line to how humans have evolved living, and I do not see it as a " good " change for our bodies, but it is only necessary to sustain our spieces.

STAR - I lived off of frozen berries, they are delicious. take them from the freezer and put them in the fridge over night if you plan to eat them with yoghurt or on their own or with muslie the next day. Otherise, frozen berries taste good mixed in with bananas and yoghurt to make smoothies.

Frozen banana's are great too, eating a frozenbanana is exactly like eating a banana popsicle.

Ok, so now that it's morning and I'm feeling a whole lot 'peppier', I'll explain why this is ill-informed.

Potable Water: ALL water in the U.S. has to go through primary (physical) and secondary (biological/chemical) treatment before it is considered potable. You will be hard pressed to find sources of water ANYWHERE in the U.S. that are potable without at least some level of treatment. Tertiary treatment, which is not commonly done in the U.S. due to its high costs, involves a higher level of chemical treatment used to neutralize things like pharmaceuticals that make their way into the water supply (PRIMARILY from human use, not agriculture). Nitrates and Phosphates, the primary make up of fertilizers, are removed during the secondary treatment phase in a water treatment plan. Most municipalities' water quality standards far exceed those that are laid out by the EPA. It's true that organic farming practices DO have a lower runoff of Nitrates and Phosphates, but arguing that it's somehow screwing up our supply of potable water shows ignorance of how water is delivered to your faucet. The higher rates of Nitrates/Phosphates simply increases the costs of water treatment, which is a small price to pay for increased food production.

The water issue is great. Many of the things we do to water when treating it is pointless like adding Fluride which doesn't do anything food for teeth when you are DRINKING it and is bad for humans even in small amounts. The chemicals that are going into drinking water and infecting ground water cost TO MUCH to clean out of our drinking supply. Rich people drink special bottled water from Figi or where ever but most of us are forced to drink a shrinking and infected water supply which stems vastly from modern mehtods.

Topsoil Stripping: I'm not a farmer' date=' but how does it make sense that a massive farming operation would have it in their best interests to strip topsoil? Poor irrigation practices are the primary culprit for topsoil stripping. This isn't an organic vs. inorganic issue, but an issue of poor/archaic farming practices vs. modern/highly optimized farming practices. You said it yourself, Green, in an earlier post. Water is "blue gold", especially out here in the Western U.S. Water shares are immensely expensive, and taking too much water (going over share) WILL result in a lawsuit. No fines, no slap on the wrist, but a full-blown legal battle. In addition to the negative consequences of poor irrigation, optimized irrigation is more profitable. [/quote']

Water is blue gold and its sick. Water rights around the wolrd including the US are becoming privatized. In the western U.S. some farmers don't farm they just sell their water rights for the year because its an easier way to make money and thats just wrong. Topsoil is being stripped away and chemicals which are increasing in cost drasticly are the only way to keep this going. We are living feast for famine and the famine is comming an a lot of people are going to die. I believe in being smart with recourses not only durring the bad times but durring the good times especialy because our population is sky rocketing and the real cost of food is being greatly hidden through unsustainable modern farming practices. The water will stop flowing out to places like california soon enough and that farming land will disapear.

Buying Local: It always feels good to support the "little guy" and your local sellers. There is nothing wrong with it. However' date=' under the current demands of our society, we cannot simply rely on locally grown food. For example, let's say you live in Las Vegas, Nevada. You and I both know that there is not enough arable land in that area to sustain the population. This is also true for practically every major city in the U.S.[/quote']

Now lets say I don't think peole should live in and around places like Las Vegas which have no business existing. This is a major problem and one of the reasons for water and food shortage. People in one area taking the food and water recources of another area. It also allows for population to grow unchecked untill the iminent disaster that will happen one of these days.

"I Don't Believe In Transporting Water": Modern society as we know it would not exist without controlling the flow of water. Again' date=' say goodbye to places like Las Vegas, NV, Los Angeles, CA, and numerous other places. Their populations would not be sustainable without water being transported to them or retaining their natural water supplies (via dams, etc.). Water storage and transport facilities are needed to sustain the population that we currently have everywhere in the U.S. This is not a problem in the western states alone. Without the transport and storage of water, agriculture would cease to exist, cities would vanish, and our dwindling population would be forced to live in a very close proximity to our lakes, rivers, streams, etc. Our supply of "potable" water would quickly disappear as the water got more foul by the day due to everyone doing their cooking, cleaning, bathing, and pooping/peeing by/in the water source. This is how places like India are. This is why waterborne diseases are rampant in third world countries. Visit a place like that for a couple of months and tell me you don't see the need for water storage and transportation systems. [/quote']

Water transportation is one of the big reasons we are running out of water. It is disrupting natural cycles. When the water we send to Vegas gets used it truely gets used and it will be much longer until we ever see that water again and it won't be in the place the water came from.

I don't believe in things continuing the way they are and thats all you seem to argue.

Organic food and practices would not be feasible, and can literally not be put into place on a large scale. the world cannot afford it.

However, organic food IS closer to how humans have evolved eating for thousands and thousands of years. I do not feel that our bodies can go thousands of years ( the majority of our evolution) without these newly created chemicals in our foods, and then in our very recent history, go from NO chemicals in food, to LOADS Of chemials in food.

No "added" chemials in our food is good for us. Real, propper, whole food, with zero added chemicals, is the way humans are designed to eat. Just because we can tollerate chemicals in our food, that does not mean they are optimal for us. Our bodies still have not embraced them or fully adapted; look at all the new diseases that have come about since about the time chemicals were readily consumed.

Hokie- for a health consious guy, I am surprised that you think a cocktail of chemicals in our food is fine. Builds up immunity; in our toxic world yes, it technically would build up immunity, however, it is just crazy to eat these thousands of chemicals, which have only been around for a VERY SHORT period of time throughout human evolution; our bodies DO NOT like them.

Organic food to me, is the way food is supposed to be injested. Chemicals in our food serve as a means to feed the world; we do need chemicals and pestercides and what not. On the other hand, our bodies do not need the chemicals, and would be better off without them.

I buy organic when possible. Okay so I buy a lot of organic. Things like apples, celery, strawberries and grapes are thigns I WILL NOT touch unless organic.

Although like others have said, sweet potato's and bananas and foods that have a thicker skin, I feel comfortable eating.

It is not just the chemicals in our food that I am diguisted in; the face care products we use, make up, make up remover, our house hold cleaning products.. it is all totally bizarre for our bodies to just be exposed to SO many chemicals that are put together in a sciene lab.

The way the entire world is in every respect in terms of chemical exposure, is totally out of line to how humans have evolved living, and I do not see it as a " good " change for our bodies, but it is only necessary to sustain our spieces.

STAR - I lived off of frozen berries, they are delicious. take them from the freezer and put them in the fridge over night if you plan to eat them with yoghurt or on their own or with muslie the next day. Otherise, frozen berries taste good mixed in with bananas and yoghurt to make smoothies.

Frozen banana's are great too, eating a frozenbanana is exactly like eating a banana popsicle.

All food was "organic." then about 30 or 40 years ago they started using NEW methods for farming. Now we have geneticaly engineered plants that can handle and survive new pesticides they put on it. Does that no seem like a problem... the plants are modified to survive yet we are still the same? Its sick.

Plus I also use organic when buying processed foods to get away from certain chemicals. Like if I buy a premaid salad dressing I buy organic because it won't have ingredients like High Fructose Corn Syrup or Natural flavors (which is code for CHEMICALS).

I don't buy your whole evolution argument. The human body is quite an amazing specimen of nature. It is able to adapt extremely rapidly (in a relative sense) to changes in both its environment and its internal workings. Perhaps our bodies don't "like" chemicals, but it sure as hell can figure out a way to deal with them when introduced into the body or its external environment. Saying that "our bodies do not like them"...well, it just sounds childish...

Also, have you ever taken any medicines...even a couple aspirin for a headache...? Did you start convulsing and seizuring on the ground from all those "chemicals" in your body...?

Yes, I am quite health conscious, but I am also realistic and practical. I have never once gotten sick from any "chemicals" in foods...nor have I ever once heard of someone who had gotten sick from any "chemicals" in foods...because our food regulatory practices ensure that food for human consumption is safe enough for us...it might not be perfect, but I have absolutely no fears that I won't live a long and healthy life. If you want to buy into all the bullsh*t that health companies throw at consumers, then all the power to you.

Hokie - I do not read what health companies say - I think for myself, and no company has had any bearing over my opinion on the chemicals in food, and also on organic vs not organic.

I just used my own common sense. To me, it seams out of line that we have been around for THOUASANDS of years, and no chemicals were added to food. In the very, VERY recent blip in our evolution, chemicals, in LARGE amounts, are now added to most of our food.

I think we have gone from no chemicals ( hundreds of thousands of years) to TOO MANY chemicals ( the last 80 years OR LESS as chemicals have been constantly created to preserve food, many in the past 40, 20, and 10 years).

I do not really have any in depth science to back it up - it is just the way I look at food. However, I have read about experts, who do have the scintific knowledge, that have prettyemuch said the same thing I have about evolution and if our bodies have adapted WELL to chemicals.

The world has changed. Sure, we used to de younger, but that was in part due to lack of food, shelter ( and the means to easily get these things). Medical discoveries and the fact we are learning more and discovering how to prolong ourlives, in my view, DOES NOT point to the fact that these " chemicals" in food are to thank for this.

I am just completely averse to eating any chemicals. I have noticed a differnce in my own body, too. And it dos not just stop at organic food; I try to minimize my contact with chemicals in my skin care and cleaning routine too.

I use plain goats milk soap that has about 5 ingredients to wash my face and hair ( and body) which works wonders. And I have found that even when I do not eat a very BALANCED diet, that as long as what I DO put in my mouth has no heavily pumped up chemicall ladden food, that I actually function fairly well, and my skin does not show signs of ill health.

There are some GREAT organic products out there, but they are expensive. Organic raw chocolate is my favorite - FOR ALL CHOCOLATE LOVERS, it IS SO WORTH the extra cost, because you get your favorite food, WITHOUT the RIDICULOUS emilsifers, skim milk solids, soy lecitins, amongMANY OTHER things added to it.

Chocolate is an example; pure cacoa powder and cacoa butter are in themselves, pure and good foods. I just find it so WARPED, that in this day and age, we have to go and get a ONE pure ingredience, and add about 10 different chemicals to it.

ALL commercial chocolate has rat least 8 added ingredients, unless it isvery dark and a better brand; some expensive dark breands only ontain cacoa butter, sugar, and vanilla flavour.

My distate for the way the modern world has ended up, in terms of hte usage of chemicals in our food supply ( among other areas), is to such an extent, that if giventhe choice; when at dinner with my extended family, I WIL NOT eat their meals, because even though it is just vegetables and salad and rice and normal things...... they could easily be seasoned with dressings and bottled sauces.

Instead, I sometimes eat some potato chips; at leasts with potato chips, I know the only ingredients are potatos, oil and salt. With their roast chicken and vegetables and salads, who KNOWS that sauces and dressings ladden with chemicals, that they have added.

And I am not being paranoid lol. I have read what is in our sauces and bottled flavour enhancers and simply choose to avoid them. But I am not dogmatic about it to others.

I do not tell people in my real life what I think abou their food choices, UNLESS they ask me. Even then, they are not at fault for not shunning chemicals, it is just how they have come to be.

OH - and finally, non organic foods are not that bad if we just ate clean; if ALL we ate was fruit, vegetables, proteins, plain milk and cheese, pulses; and if these basic foods were only flavoured with dressings such as " mixed herbs or spices, olive oil, honey, and pure balsamic winegar or wine vinegar, then THIS IS FAR MORE IDEAL than going and buying bottled sauce and dressings that almost always have food acid, sugar, among many other insane things, added to them.

Organic food and the pesticides and herbicides used in non organics do not both me at all; after all, we there are chemicals in the air we breath that were not there thousands of years ago, so we cannot avoid being exposed to a newer, more toxic enrivonment.

It is the large amount of chemicals that just drown our foods that bothers me. The stuff sprayed on non organic food is nothing to me, compared to the sauces and flavouring that are actually considered " food".

Edited by Leigh 87

Yes, I am quite health conscious, but I am also realistic and practical. I have never once gotten sick from any "chemicals" in foods...nor have I ever once heard of someone who had gotten sick from any "chemicals" in foods...because our food regulatory practices ensure that food for human consumption is safe enough for us...it might not be perfect, but I have absolutely no fears that I won't live a long and healthy life. If you want to buy into all the bullsh*t that health companies throw at consumers, then all the power to you.

Haha the companies have everything to gain from you eating chemical food. First off most of the plants that can survive the chemical bath have patents owned by companies like monsanto... I mean when the f*ck did selling seed become one of the most profitable things in the world to do. Farmers wouldn't even need to purchase seed in the past they could just recycle old seed and get most of their own seed from their land but now they have to pay each year or get fined for geneticaly modified seed that can survive and be competetive.

The food and regulatory practices in this country are a joke. The fact that we feed cows CORN and these cows would die if they wern't on antibiotics and that we eat these sickly cows who are prepared in unsanitary conditions where Sh*t gets into the meat and kills people especialy children.

I've been exposed to some nasty chemicals and hey I'm fine (for now) is a weak argument. You know people used to work with lead paint and asbestos wall insulators and you didn't hear them complaining at the time.

Haha the companies have everything to gain from you eating chemical food. First off most of the plants that can survive the chemical bath have patents owned by companies like monsanto... I mean when the f*ck did selling seed become one of the most profitable things in the world to do. Farmers wouldn't even need to purchase seed in the past they could just recycle old seed and get most of their own seed from their land but now they have to pay each year or get fined for geneticaly modified seed that can survive and be competetive.

Perhaps...but that cost is not reflected in consumer prices as it is for organic food...as much as I feel bad for local farmers and the such, I have no reservations buying from mega-farm supplied stores...

The food and regulatory practices in this country are a joke. The fact that we feed cows CORN and these cows would die if they wern't on antibiotics and that we eat these sickly cows who are prepared in unsanitary conditions where Sh*t gets into the meat and kills people especialy children.

Natural selection...

I've been exposed to some nasty chemicals and hey I'm fine (for now) is a weak argument. You know people used to work with lead paint and asbestos wall insulators and you didn't hear them complaining at the time.

The lead paint and asbestos argument is also a weak argument. Today's modern society is very litigation-happy and companies are under considerably more scrutiny than they were 50 years ago when health and safety regulations were not as stringent as they are now (although they have a long way to go).

For example, the recent salmonella egg scare...millions of eggs were recalled by the distribution company...50 years ago, the company would have just paid off the lawsuits from those few cases and left the eggs out on the market... It is significantly less likely that we'd have another "lead paint" or "asbestos" problem in the modern food supply...FDA approval standards have gone up and chemicals are vigorously tested prior to release in the market...

Again, to each their own. If you feel that your health is compromised by consuming regular foods, then by all means, pay extra for that peace of mind. I personally see no hazard in consuming that food, so I will continue to do so.

I eat mostly organic. I think the quality is higher. That could be because of where I buy it. It tastes and looks better. And it has the added benefit of not having ever been doused in chemicals I prefer not to consume.

Whether it's the right decision or not, I won't argue. At least on this topic, my motto is live and let die.

Whether it's the right decision or not, I won't argue. At least on this topic, my motto is live and let die.

Agreed. If I croak early because of it, then so be it. Besides, regular food tastes good enough for me.

Perhaps...but that cost is not reflected in consumer prices as it is for organic food...as much as I feel bad for local farmers and the such, I have no reservations buying from mega-farm supplied stores...

Natural selection...

The lead paint and asbestos argument is also a weak argument. Today's modern society is very litigation-happy and companies are under considerably more scrutiny than they were 50 years ago when health and safety regulations were not as stringent as they are now (although they have a long way to go).

For example, the recent salmonella egg scare...millions of eggs were recalled by the distribution company...50 years ago, the company would have just paid off the lawsuits from those few cases and left the eggs out on the market... It is significantly less likely that we'd have another "lead paint" or "asbestos" problem in the modern food supply...FDA approval standards have gone up and chemicals are vigorously tested prior to release in the market...

Again, to each their own. If you feel that your health is compromised by consuming regular foods, then by all means, pay extra for that peace of mind. I personally see no hazard in consuming that food, so I will continue to do so.

Do you know what a superfund is? think about why a seed maker has to be part of a superfund. (same thing powerplants and oil refinereys are part of)

You may not realize it but the entire planet is on the verge of colapse in so many ways and we live in a fiest or famine mentality... and the famine is comming and its going to hit the entire planet. we're about to jump from over 6 billion people currently to over 9 billion in a very short amount of time.

The way we make food currently is NOT sustainable and it may seem CHEAP to you but the real costs are very well hidden at this point the same way the real cost of oil is very well hidden. Did you know they used to have oil power plants... I mean how wasteful is that they built giant billion dollar power plants that used OIL to make electricity and had to shut them right down because they realize oh boy this is a big waste of a preciouse recourse.

Do you know what a superfund is? think about why a seed maker has to be part of a superfund. (same thing powerplants and oil refinereys are part of)

You may not realize it but the entire planet is on the verge of colapse in so many ways and we live in a fiest or famine mentality... and the famine is comming and its going to hit the entire planet. we're about to jump from over 6 billion people currently to over 9 billion in a very short amount of time.

The way we make food currently is NOT sustainable and it may seem CHEAP to you but the real costs are very well hidden at this point the same way the real cost of oil is very well hidden. Did you know they used to have oil power plants... I mean how wasteful is that they built giant billion dollar power plants that used OIL to make electricity and had to shut them right down because they realize oh boy this is a big waste of a preciouse recourse.

So how would you, Green, propose that we avoid the imminent apocalypse? More specifically (as not to get too far off topic here), how would organic farming solve any of these problems?

I'm not saying that what we're currently doing is perfect, but I'm wondering what you would have our world's leaders and brightest minds implement to solve the problems you outlined.

So how would you, Green, propose that we avoid the imminent apocalypse? More specifically (as not to get too far off topic here), how would organic farming solve any of these problems?

I'm not saying that what we're currently doing is perfect, but I'm wondering what you would have our world's leaders and brightest minds implement to solve the problems you outlined.

Well I just recomend eating organicly and more importantly buying localy from people who use farming methods that are sustainable. Don't live in places where there is no water and it all has to be piped in.

Truthfuly the only way we can avoid a major rift in society is if technology keeps one step ahead of us which it probably won't because technology itself is causing problems.

Eating organic and paying more for food alone does a lot to help the evironment. All food should be more expensive and the government should stop subsidising cheap corn.

Well I just recomend eating organicly and more importantly buying localy from people who use farming methods that are sustainable. Don't live in places where there is no water and it all has to be piped in.

Truthfuly the only way we can avoid a major rift in society is if technology keeps one step ahead of us which it probably won't because technology itself is causing problems.

Eating organic and paying more for food alone does a lot to help the evironment. All food should be more expensive and the government should stop subsidising cheap corn.

I knew what you recommend about a page ago, friend. What I'm asking for you to do is EXPLAIN exactly how what you recommend fixes the problems you say we are facing. I'm looking for the WHY and HOW, not the WHAT. Nebulous, fantastical concepts are great, but when the rubber hits the road, how are your suggestions going to work?

I have no problem with organic food as a niche market. I'm simply curious as to how it would be able to work on a global scale.

Something is wonky with what we are consuming...

Why are girls getting periods before the age of ten and sprouting breasts, the likes of which weren't present 2 decades ago? If it's not what we are consuming...I don't know what it could be.

Seriously- all these ginormous boobs young girls are sprouting these days? It's crazy!

Organic food shouldn't be called "organic" its the so called normal food that should get the labels geneticaly modified/ chemicaly grown ect.

to Tman check out http://www.foodincmovie.com/about-the-issues.php its a website for a good documentary I watched called food inc.

Why are girls getting periods before the age of ten and sprouting breasts, the likes of which weren't present 2 decades ago? If it's not what we are consuming...I don't know what it could be.

Seriously- all these ginormous boobs young girls are sprouting these days? It's crazy!

breast cancer is suposedly way up too.

Good point. But even more disturbing is the number of guys walking around with breasts. And there's no doubt it's from what they eat.

I figured you were probably letting someone else do the thinking for you...

You mean you're suprised to find out I'm not a farmer/chemist/economist and that I didn't invent the weel.

If thinking about things isn't thinking for myself I don't know what is.

Good point. But even more disturbing is the number of guys walking around with breasts. And there's no doubt it's from what they eat.

Or what they eat too much of.

McDonald needs to wrap their crap with warnings that state "warning, over-consumption of chicken mcnuggets may cause breasts...in dudes..."

Probably wouldn't make a difference. McD's could have a giant banner out front with the words "eating here will probably shave 30 years off your life..." But the special of the day is never going to be 2 FOR 1 salads- mmmm so good you won't want the dressing.

Or what they eat too much of.

McDonald needs to wrap their crap with warnings that state "warning, over-consumption of chicken mcnuggets may cause breasts...in dudes..."

Mmmmm, but nuggets sooo gooood...mmmm, mcnuggets...

You mean you're suprised to find out I'm not a farmer/chemist/economist and that I didn't invent the weel.

If thinking about things isn't thinking for myself I don't know what is.

I'm hardly surprised to find out you're not a chemist, economist, or farmer... :rolleyes:

I'm also not surprised that you resorted to pointing to a "documentary" as your "explanation" than actually taking the time to digest the information and answer my question. All you're doing is throwing information back at me that you got from a movie. No thought needed right? The guy in the movie said it was true, so it must be!

You felt the need to justify yourself earlier... Why not defend your position now?