Do you believe in the hype? Why, why not?

I'm watching Dr. Oz, and the whole show is about organic fruits and veggies, and he's quite persuasive. Hmm.

organic is a sham. its just a gimmick to get you to pay more. studies show there is no difference in nutrition benefits between organic and regular produce.

I've never heard any claim that organic is more nutritious. The claims are generally that 1) it's less poisonous and 2) it's better for the environment.

• Author
Only when it comes to produce with thin skins, like berries/grapes. The thicker skinned fruits/veggies are OK to buy non-organic.

Yeah, the one thing he said we must buy organic is strawberries. I eat a TON of strawberries... but not the organic variety. They're almost twice as much $$, and aren't in abundance the way the "regular" berries are. :(

I guess my question is, is pesticide really all that bad?

And are frozen fruits/veggies pesticide free?

Yeah, the one thing he said we must buy organic is strawberries. I eat a TON of strawberries... but not the organic variety. They're almost twice as much $$, and aren't in abundance the way the "regular" berries are. :(

I guess my question is, is pesticide really all that bad?

And are frozen fruits/veggies pesticide free?

Yeah, I always buy the frozen organic berries. And yes, they're pesticide free.

It make sense to go for the organic option in that case since they're not much more expensive. Why risk your health?

• Author
Yeah, I always buy the frozen organic berries. And yes, they're pesticide free.

It make sense to go for the organic option in that case since they're not much more expensive. Why risk your health?

Can you just thaw out frozen berries and then eat them as you would fresh? I only use them for smoothies/shakes.

Can you just thaw out frozen berries and then eat them as you would fresh? I only use them for smoothies/shakes.

Yep. I just pop them in the microwave for a minute or so. They're not quite as good as fresh berries, but they work really well if you combine them with something else like greek yogurt or granola.

• Author
Yep. I just pop them in the microwave for a minute or so. They're not quite as good as fresh berries, but they work really well if you combine them with something else like greek yogurt or granola.

Fascinating... I never knew that. I'm gonna try it right now. Stay tuned! :laugh:

make me believe

Frozen berries work great for smoothies (you don't have to thaw them first, just throw them into the blender frozen), but for eating plain frozen strawberries will be all mushy & not at all like fresh berries. They taste fine, but the texture isn't the same.

I think organic produce is better all around. I can't buy it all the time because of price & availability, but I do what I can.

• Author

Okay, frozen berries must only be used in other things. Thawing them and then eating them plain (which is what I like to do) doesn't work at all. They're soggy. Star doesn't like soggy berries. :(

Darnit, I got all excited for nothin'.

But thanks for the info, Shadow! I'll use them in other things for sure.

Organic food is the biggest scam since bottled water...and besides, all those pesticides, hormones, and steroids only increase my immunities...

I have no problem when people make the choice to eat organic food. While it's not necessarily a better nutritional product, people make the choice to buy organic for all sorts of different reasons. For example, I sometimes buy the seasonal, "organic" food available at local farmers' markets and what not because (especially in the case of meat) some of the food just plain tastes better, plus you're helping to support local growers and ranchers.

What I have a problem with is when you get some smug people making claims that non organic farming is "killing the earth" and is somehow overly poisonous for consumption. It's laughable and only serves to demonstrate the ignorance of the organic food zealots.

In order to sustain the level of food production currently needed to feed the world and the current consumption market in western countries, organic farming would have to cover an enormous amount of acreage that simply is not available anymore in the U.S. This means that we would have to import vast amounts of food to keep up with current consumption levels, which would not only be very difficult without the use of chemical preservation methods, but would also increase the amount of fossil fuels used in their transportation. Food prices would skyrocket so high in order to cover fuel costs that only the rich would be able to afford food. The lower socio-economic classes would suffer, plus the environment would most likely be worse off for it.

In short, I have no problem with organic food as a personal choice, but it is not the far reaching, global solution that some so desperately want to believe. It's akin to saying that the best way to lower our consumption of oil and fossil fuels is for everyone to ditch their cars and buy a horse and buggy.

Organic is far better because you're not ingesting chemicals like pesticides, and if you buy organic milk, you're not ingesting hormones and who knows what else. It's not hype and it's not a gimmick, but this is how our food is supposed to be. People in European and other countries don't have to worry about this because they don't do most of the stupid things to food that the U.S. does. Which is my theory as to why we have such a weight epidemic in our country. Our bodies aren't designed to ingest chemicals, bacteria and hormones - particularly to the degree that we do in this country.

Also, if you buy organic / grass fed / farm raised meat or free-range chicken and eggs, you're not supporting those companies that - for the lack of a better word - are torturing animals and creating ecoli that gets passed on to us. The most recent egg scare with ecoli was because of the conditions that the chickens are raised in. If you buy regular corn-fed meat, you're supporting those companies that treat animals in the most inhumane way. If you watch the movie Food, Inc. your eyes will be open to the point that you would be ashamed of this country and our government. Again, organic is how our food is supposed to be, cows are designed to eat grass, not corn (which breeds ecoli in the cow because it's not natural to their bodies), and all animals deserve to live in their natural environments. You vote for these things every time you buy food.

To me, the issues go in this order:

1) don't support companies that treat animals inhumanely. It may seem odd that I would put the treatment of animals above food quality but the way I see it is that we never, ever have any right to abuse animals. We have a choice about what we put in our bodies but the animals have no choice. This is why being conscious of how animals are raised takes #1 consideration. Even buying organic eggs doesn't guarantee that the chickens are raised free-range. Read the carton.

2) buy organic foods and meat that support the health of your body.

In other words, maybe you can't do it all but put the animals first. If you knew what went on, you'd think twice. If everyone stopped supporting these companies, they'd either go out of business or change their practices.

Edited by Angel1111

I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that kids are hitting puberty earlier because of all the growth hormones in our meat.

Even if there's nothing "harmful" about that, I think it's gross. :sick::sick::sick:

I pop frozen berries into the blender with my other shake ingredients. Lets me cut back on ice and no thawing needed.

I've never heard any claim that organic is more nutritious. The claims are generally that 1) it's less poisonous and 2) it's better for the environment.

Yes, fewer toxins, much better for the environment and much better tasting.

I have no problem when people make the choice to eat organic food. While it's not necessarily a better nutritional product, people make the choice to buy organic for all sorts of different reasons. For example, I sometimes buy the seasonal, "organic" food available at local farmers' markets and what not because (especially in the case of meat) some of the food just plain tastes better, plus you're helping to support local growers and ranchers.

Suporting local growers just makes sense as its a waste of money to ship food all around wasting gas and making corporate farms and sellers rich.

What I have a problem with is when you get some smug people making claims that non organic farming is "killing the earth" and is somehow overly poisonous for consumption. It's laughable and only serves to demonstrate the ignorance of the organic food zealots.

It is killing the earth why don't you look into the upcomming water shortages and how top soil is being eroded by modern farming methods and it takes 500 years to recover an inch of top soil. Then you can look into how moder farming uses the growing scarcer recourses of petrol and oil to pump the ground with chemicals such as nitrogen so that the land can actualy grow anything.

Water these days is becoming known as blue gold.

In order to sustain the level of food production currently needed to feed the world and the current consumption market in western countries, organic farming would have to cover an enormous amount of acreage that simply is not available anymore in the U.S. This means that we would have to import vast amounts of food to keep up with current consumption levels, which would not only be very difficult without the use of chemical preservation methods, but would also increase the amount of fossil fuels used in their transportation. Food prices would skyrocket so high in order to cover fuel costs that only the rich would be able to afford food. The lower socio-economic classes would suffer, plus the environment would most likely be worse off for it.

In short, I have no problem with organic food as a personal choice, but it is not the far reaching, global solution that some so desperately want to believe. It's akin to saying that the best way to lower our consumption of oil and fossil fuels is for everyone to ditch their cars and buy a horse and buggy.

YOu really don't see the big picture of how modern farming techniques actualy use MORE water and fuels. The price of food is also artificialy kept low in this country by corn subsides. Its time for that to stop and for people to pay the real price for food.

It is killing the earth why don't you look into the upcomming water shortages and how top soil is being eroded by modern farming methods and it takes 500 years to recover an inch of top soil. Then you can look into how moder farming uses the growing scarcer recourses of petrol and oil to pump the ground with chemicals such as nitrogen so that the land can actualy grow anything.

Water these days is becoming known as blue gold.

YOu really don't see the big picture of how modern farming techniques actualy use MORE water and fuels. The price of food is also artificialy kept low in this country by corn subsides. Its time for that to stop and for people to pay the real price for food.

So how exactly does organic farming solve any of these problems?

So how exactly does organic farming solve any of these problems?

well less polution of water sources means more potable water.

Also top soil is left in tact when sustainable farming techniques are used.

Buying LOCAL means water is likely to remain where the populations is and less gas is usedi n transporting.

Plus on a seperate issue I don't believe in moving water from one area to another like what is being aloud to happen in places like california. Its not sustainable and is a waste.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok dude.

well less polution of water sources means more potable water.

Also top soil is left in tact when sustainable farming techniques are used.

Buying LOCAL means water is likely to remain where the populations is and less gas is usedi n transporting.

Plus on a seperate issue I don't believe in moving water from one area to another like what is being aloud to happen in places like california. Its not sustainable and is a waste.

In other words: "Green, you made good points I can't really argue with."

In other words: I don't have the time or patience to explain why his assertions are incorrect. Nice try though.

• Author

I really, really, REALLY like the idea of buying local (which given my area is NOT difficult at all), but is local "organic"? I see crop dusters all the time...