Anyone sick of spending money yet?

georgia girl

Does that include the honeymoon....?

It can't possibly.

I'm still not understanding how she's able to have a $20K wedding for 200 guests in a fancy ballroom, unless she's not feeding them or paying for their booze.

• Author
georgia girl

When I posted this, I was just a little ticked off that the photographer was obviously trying to make a small fortune on some simple wedding pictures... I wasn't trying to start a controversy. Seriously!

Our wedding is simple. We live in a lake house which is large enough (with lawns) to accommodate our 75+ guests, we're old enough that we're having a very small wedding party (just relatives) and I set a budget that we'll fall well within. I'm happy with my food and drinks - as this is a party I'm having for my friends and family and it would be spectacularly rude to invite all of these people to my home for a party and not make them feel welcome. But believe me, despite the fact that this is a first wedding for both of us, we're not losing our heads.

It's just that we don't ordinarily spend a lot of money on items like this. We take two vacations a year and that's it. Otherwise, we save for early retirement and put money into our house. As much as planning the wedding is fun, it is an expense. Nothing more, nothing less.

Our wedding is simple. We live in a lake house which is large enough (with lawns) to accommodate our 75+ guests, we're old enough that we're having a very small wedding party (just relatives) and I set a budget that we'll fall well within. I'm happy with my food and drinks - as this is a party I'm having for my friends and family and it would be spectacularly rude to invite all of these people to my home for a party and not make them feel welcome. But believe me, despite the fact that this is a first wedding for both of us, we're not losing our heads.

That sounds dreamy....... :love:

Lauriebell82
It actually IS somewhat of a shoestring budget for 200 guests in a ballroom. Really... that's why people are impressed with your budgeting skills.

Truly, honestly, I'm curious how you were able to pull that off. Where did you save? I'm assuming the ballroom was pricey to rent, and that you have a nice photographer, and nice flowers, and a DJ or band, and we know you're getting a limo, and have a beautiful dress... so where is the savings? Are you not having a sit down dinner? Or is it just heavy appetizers? Or are you not having an open bar?

We aren't having 200 people. Our guest list is 150. The reception is costing the most, it is a sit down dinner. There is a cocktail reception and a 4 course dinner, with open bar and wine service. It was actually a very good deal for that amount of money! They include everything, all the rentals like tables, chairs, linens, cake, food, bar, wine, ect.

We saved a ton of money on the photographer, most of them out there are very very expensive. What I did was just research all the different photographers, florists, limos, DJ's, and asked for price quotes. Then we met with them to see if they were okay. I spent hours and hours doing all that so it was time consuming but soooo worth it.

Oh the honeymoon is not included in budget, the reason being is because we didn't know where we wanted to go and were still researching places when we made the budget. But again, we got an awesome deal on the honeymoon.

Aww, that's awesome! AND you have been a little behind in the entire planning process (pursuant to what all those books and guidelines say anyway! ;)), so it says a LOT about how tight y'all are that it hasn't been a stressful affair.

You're going to be a stunning bride. :love:

When I was calling around for dress appointments they would ask for my wedding date, when I said it was in September they often asked "2010 or 2011." :eek::laugh:

Honestly, it hasn't been that tough. We started really planning and putting things together in February and we have everything but the cake and his suit.

And I agree we are pretty tight :laugh: I'm not saying we're perfect but I think we're pretty great together :love:

Lauriebell82
When I was calling around for dress appointments they would ask for my wedding date, when I said it was in September they often asked "2010 or 2011." :eek::laugh:

Honestly, it hasn't been that tough. We started really planning and putting things together in February and we have everything but the cake and his suit.

And I agree we are pretty tight :laugh: I'm not saying we're perfect but I think we're pretty great together :love:

Aww, that's wonderful. It's actually great to have you and your fiance be on the same page about the wedding isn't it? I've seen that Rich Bride, Poor Bride show and they are at each other's throats! Luckily fiance and I agree. It makes wedding planning so much more fun!

Oh, yesterday when I called somewhere they asked me if it was September 2011 or 2012!!! They didn't even bother with 2010! :laugh:

So people actually do get LOANS for weddings???

Assuming you hadn't gotten divorced, D... what parts of your wedding would you change to save money, if anything?

Nothing at all. I honestly loved every aspect of the party we threw.

We hired wedding planners, decked out a huge tent with hanging weeping willow branches and mini-lights and glass stars. We had a martini bar, and another area with a canoe filled with ice and beer. We had a fireworks display after dinner. A bonfire set away from the tent for later in the evening with friends playing guitars. It was on a country property.

Oh, we went all out, lol. My parents wanted to pay for the wedding- and his parents wanted to contribute as well. However, when everyone started trying to control what we did because they were paying, we just took out the loan for $40,000 and did exactly what we wanted. My parents gave us money as a gift anyway, and we spent a lot of the cash gifts from the wedding to renovate our kitchen. We were a bit stupid with our money:o It should have gone back on the loan- but we wanted a new kitchen... We were dumb.

I wouldn't have changed a thing about our wedding. In the end it cost around 42,000 for 180 people. That was 10 years ago. My wedding planners actually helped me to save money. We had to put the entire venue together ourselves- from the tent rental down to the cuttlery, catering...

My planners hired me after my wedding and I worked with them for a couple years after my wedding as a consultant.

I know I threw an awesome party, lol. The marriage didn't work, but my ex and I both know we threw that really great party that everyone still talks about 10 years later.

You only have one day- you have to make it the best you can.

I've never been a banquet hall kind of gal- I wanted to design my wedding, not be given the option of a package deal.

Aww, that's wonderful. It's actually great to have you and your fiance be on the same page about the wedding isn't it? I've seen that Rich Bride, Poor Bride show and they are at each other's throats! Luckily fiance and I agree. It makes wedding planning so much more fun!

Oh, yesterday when I called somewhere they asked me if it was September 2011 or 2012!!! They didn't even bother with 2010! :laugh:

I haven't seen that one, though I have seen the Bridezilla show, some of those women are awful :sick::sick:

Nothing at all. I honestly loved every aspect of the party we threw.

We hired wedding planners, decked out a huge tent with hanging weeping willow branches and mini-lights and glass stars. We had a martini bar, and another area with a canoe filled with ice and beer. We had a fireworks display after dinner. A bonfire set away from the tent for later in the evening with friends playing guitars. It was on a country property.

That sounds awesome! :love::love::bunny:

That sounds awesome! :love::love::bunny:

OMG, doesn't it? :love: I'd love to have a mountain wedding with a similar feel, although still small... maybe hand-held sparklers, not full-on fireworks. :)

But it's great that D had an event that she doesn't regret at all, even despite that the relationship didn't last forever.

We aren't having 200 people. Our guest list is 150.

My bad. I could have sworn you said you had 200 people. Or maybe it was that you said it was $20K and $100 a head, and I just did the math.

I just think you should go for it with your wedding- make it whatever you want to make it. No scrimping. My wedding was awesome for myself and my husband- we made it into what we wanted. The pyro-technics might have been crazy- but it was what my husband wanted, so we did it. Our wedding def represented "us".

Even though our love didn't last-our party was what we wanted it to be.

You never want to look back and regret budget cuts. Throw the party of your life- because that's your time.

Our wedding def represented "us".

:love: As it should be.

I think the wedding says a lot about the couple, actually.

Lauriebell82

My bad. I could have sworn you said you had 200 people. Or maybe it was that you said it was $20K and $100 a head, and I just did the math.

Ah, okay. I was thinking that I never told anyone on LS how many people were invited so I was curious where the 200 people idea came from.

Lauriebell82
I just think you should go for it with your wedding- make it whatever you want to make it. No scrimping. My wedding was awesome for myself and my husband- we made it into what we wanted. The pyro-technics might have been crazy- but it was what my husband wanted, so we did it. Our wedding def represented "us".

Even though our love didn't last-our party was what we wanted it to be.

You never want to look back and regret budget cuts. Throw the party of your life- because that's your time.

Yeah, I agree but I also don't want to go broke paying for our wedding. We need to save for a house and kids. That's great for you guys though, I do think that the couple should be on the same page about what kind of wedding they want and not regret any of it.

We need to save for a house and kids.

It's great that this is important for you. Getting married is great, being crammed in a tiny apartment, stressing over money with your new spouse is not.

My SO and I have been ready to marry for a looooooong time, but we waited so that we could make a few other things happen before.

Star Gazer
Yeah, I agree but I also don't want to go broke paying for our wedding. We need to save for a house and kids. That's great for you guys though, I do think that the couple should be on the same page about what kind of wedding they want and not regret any of it.

Agree 100%.

We want to have our pastor marry us with two people standing up for us. No guests, dinner out and the rest spent on time together. I am not starting my life together for anyone else but us. It is easy in our case though as neither of us speak to our families so no worries about disappointing anyone there. :) I was married once long ago and spent a fortune on the wedding. Looking back now, I would have been happier spending a month in another country, or a few. :)

GrnEyedGemini

When my fiance and I started planning, location was the first thing we looked at. And i was extremely disappointed with each and every venue, most above $2500. One was only for a three hour rental! Anyways, after visiting the last place and being sad for a few hrs...an idea struck us: We had planned on honeymooning in Hawaii...so why not just do it on the beach?! I researched and researched and researched the rest of that day and presented my dad with a waaaaaay cheaper version of my ideal wedding on the beach in Oahu...my wedding itself will cost less than $2000! At my dad's insistance on having a lil family at our ceremony, my dad, my brother, and sisnlaw will all be coming as well. Therefore, the most expensive part is getting there. Also, if you stay away from resorts, the entire trip can costs thousands less. We found an off-the-beaten-path lodging place with very affordable, very nice and quaint cottages 20 feet from the beach. And as for reception, when we get back, we are throwing a luau party at a pavillion by the lake, which costs $60 for the entire day and night. We are getting friends to do the cooking and I have searched all over the internet for the cheapest, but nicest looking, luau decorations. In all, I expect to spend about $1000 on reception, if that much. There are cheaper ways out there.....you just have to be creative and search for them.

Star Gazer

GEG... but your "wedding" doesn't include a reception, isn't that right? It's literally just the ceremony...?

TwinkletOes26

LB I understand...planning a wedding is hard. People get stressed and you need a place to vent. When its all said and done it is YOUR wedding...dont let anything that anyone says here or anywhere thats negative get you down.

Payless is by no means a designer shoe store BUT you can find great quality shoes for a cheap price. There are some who think that because something isnt a million dollars its poor quality...not all the time. If you want to wear payless shoes then go for it. As long as they are cute and comfy who cares. Unless the shoes have payless written on the side I dont think anyone will know where you got them.

Lauriebell82
LB I understand...planning a wedding is hard. People get stressed and you need a place to vent. When its all said and done it is YOUR wedding...dont let anything that anyone says here or anywhere thats negative get you down.

Payless is by no means a designer shoe store BUT you can find great quality shoes for a cheap price. There are some who think that because something isnt a million dollars its poor quality...not all the time. If you want to wear payless shoes then go for it. As long as they are cute and comfy who cares. Unless the shoes have payless written on the side I dont think anyone will know where you got them.

Thanks! They are actually very beautiful shoes. They look like they could have been bought at a bridal shop easily. Nobody would EVER think they were from Payless. I liked them more the any other place I looked. Do they look like designer shoes? No. But I could care less. My dress is long so it's not like anyone will see them!!!

Do they look like designer shoes? No. But I could care less.
Your guests won't notice or care, either, LB. As long as your feet are comfortable in them and you feel good, that's all that counts.