Anyone sick of spending money yet?

georgia girl

I'm cheap, so whenever I get married I want a wedding for less than $10,000. I want a small ceremony probably in a garden or maybe a church. A nice dress, and then a brunch reception. I'm not breaking the bank to pay for one day, I'd rather put that money towards a nice honeymoon. :)

I spent almost $50,000 on my wedding. My ex wanted fireworks, and we hired a pyro-tech to light them off. When we got DIVORCED- we were still paying off the loan.

We threw an awesome party. To this day, my friends tell me my wedding was the coolest wedding they have ever been to... But we were still paying for the wedding years after throwing it. Not so cool.

manolo

They don't have the KS shoe in my size :mad:

And LB, can't SG like me? I thought you liked me too :confused::(

I like the Monolos but I have those in black already, I wear them often to "elegant and adult" events :laugh: I'm not crazy about the other two. I'm considering Gracious, by Kate Spade.

I have the same shoes, for the same functions, but in gold! :laugh: I want the Hangisi in blue but I don't know what the price-per-wear would be...

The Gracious is verrrry pretty too! :love: Don't know how I missed those!

manolo

Oh, she does, A. She's just making a dig at me. :)

I'm very impressed with peeps who can have reasonably priced weddings. At this point I'm convinced that I'm going to have to elope... Which bums me out. How many people are you having again?

I spent almost $50,000 on my wedding. My ex wanted fireworks, and we hired a pyro-tech to light them off. When we got DIVORCED- we were still paying off the loan.

We threw an awesome party. To this day, my friends tell me my wedding was the coolest wedding they have ever been to... But we were still paying for the wedding years after throwing it. Not so cool.

So people actually do get LOANS for weddings???

Assuming you hadn't gotten divorced, D... what parts of your wedding would you change to save money, if anything?

As much as I've gotten a little "Ooh shiny!" when it comes to weddings, fiance and I always refused to get in to debt for our wedding. I'm lucky because my parents are paying for most of it, but I just wouldn't be able to get in to a ton of debt, it would make me too anxious.

Oh, she does, A. She's just making a dig at me. :)

I'm very impressed with peeps who can have reasonably priced weddings. At this point I'm convinced that I'm going to have to elope... Which bums me out. How many people are you having again?

I wanted to elope so bad but now I'm glad we're doing this. It actually has been a cool, memorable bonding experience.

We are having about 75 people at the wedding, maybe 70.

I wanted to elope so bad but now I'm glad we're doing this. It actually has been a cool, memorable bonding experience.

Bonding....with him? With his/your parents? What made you change your mind?

BF and I have been talking more and more, particularly in light of his brother's wedding, about what we'll do. I know he wants a SMALL wedding. I just know I don't want a big to-do.

Zappos has them in every size but 7.5....

Edit: That's the Gracious 2.

Bonding....with him? With his/your parents? What made you change your mind?

BF and I have been talking more and more, particularly in light of his brother's wedding, about what we'll do. I know he wants a SMALL wedding. I just know I don't want a big to-do.

Yeah, with him, by planning it for us, we've actually had a blast. Also, my mom and I had so much fun dress shopping and the dads are picking out the cake with us. I think it's about all about the marriage, and I've never been in a rush to get down the isle, but we've honestly shared so many good times picking the songs, the food, all that. I'm sort of glad we'll have the event to go along with the marriage. It has honestly brought us, and our families a lot more joy than we expected.

In the beginning I sort of didn't want to deal with the stress and I felt bad taking the money from my parents. But I have stayed way below budget and made sure everyone has fun with this, which made it a positive thing instead of an expensive stressor.

Zappos has them in every size but 7.5....

Edit: That's the Gracious 2.

I don't see the difference between the gracious and the gracious 2 :confused::laugh: Zappos does not have a 6 in ivory :mad: There are two KS stores near me and they don't carry these shoes.

I don't see the difference between the gracious and the gracious 2 :confused::laugh: Zappos does not have a 6 in ivory :mad: There are two KS stores near me and they don't carry these shoes.

I think the original has a slightly higher platform?

I just looked! myglassslipper.com has it in ivory in a 6! :)

I think the original has a slightly higher platform?

I just looked! myglassslipper.com has it in ivory in a 6! :)

They do! Just 2 days ago it said "coming soon." I was about to say "no they don't SG, I checked." :laugh:

They do! Just 2 days ago it said "coming soon." I was about to say "no they don't SG, I checked." :laugh:

You can thank me later. ;)

I am curious though, how to save on things for a wedding and not have anything be "cheap," ya know?

As much as I've gotten a little "Ooh shiny!" when it comes to weddings, fiance and I always refused to get in to debt for our wedding. I'm lucky because my parents are paying for most of it, but I just wouldn't be able to get in to a ton of debt, it would make me too anxious.

Well, my parents gave us a house for our gift because we refused the money to pay for the wedding. Everyone tried to control our wedding- which is why we took out a loan and announced we were paying for our wedding ourselves, so we could have what we wanted.

When we divorced, and sold the house- we paid off our wedding loan, lol.

Yeah, with him, by planning it for us, we've actually had a blast. Also, my mom and I had so much fun dress shopping and the dads are picking out the cake with us. I think it's about all about the marriage, and I've never been in a rush to get down the isle, but we've honestly shared so many good times picking the songs, the food, all that. I'm sort of glad we'll have the event to go along with the marriage. It has honestly brought us, and our families a lot more joy than we expected.

In the beginning I sort of didn't want to deal with the stress and I felt bad taking the money from my parents. But I have stayed way below budget and made sure everyone has fun with this, which made it a positive thing instead of an expensive stressor.

Aww, that's awesome! AND you have been a little behind in the entire planning process (pursuant to what all those books and guidelines say anyway! ;)), so it says a LOT about how tight y'all are that it hasn't been a stressful affair.

You're going to be a stunning bride. :love:

You can thank me later. ;)

I am curious though, how to save on things for a wedding and not have anything be "cheap," ya know?

For me, the way we didn't end up with an huge price tag was, no huge guest list, my flowers are local and seasonal (no roses imported from Ecuador :rolleyes:), my dress it not a 7k Pnina...

I just chose things I loved, and assessed what needed to be a splurge and what doesn't need to be. I did go for quality, just not extravagance.

there's a big difference between 'budget', 'cheap' and 'inexpensive'.

I see all three here.

I'm going to budget, think inexpensive, and have the cheapest wedding of all.

Registry office, me, him, 2 witnesses.

And a great, knife-edge crease, ironed pair of jeans.

I have just the pair.....;)

Lauriebell82
1. I seriously doubt your $20 shoes from Target are nicer than anything else out there. REALLY doubt it.

2. I don't look down on you for buying shoes at Payless. I have a pair or two myself.

3. That said, and as I said, I could never wear bridal shoes from Payless TO MY OWN WEDDING. They're cheap in more than just a monetary sense, and I won't have a "cheeze wiz" wedding in any regard, even my shoes.

4. Allina would never wear shoes from Payless to her wedding either. So in that regard, yeah, I do like her. :)

5. It's not about Allina wearing a knockoff of a $400-700 shoe vs. you wearing a $20 shoe, it's about the shoe you wear on your most special day ever. The shoe that walks you down the aisle to your husband. If a cheap, poorly made $20 shoe that was made in some sweat shop in China is special to you, then by all means, have at it. But it's not my cup of tea.

That's why I said to each their own, LB. I would never dream of wearing a pair of shoes to my wedding that I had EVER worn before, to anything, period. Unless you want your shoes to be the "something borrowed," everything else should be new...IMO.

Wow, you are so rude. But the something borrowed is an excellent idea, I was looking for that. It's the only thing I don't have.

manolo

Oh I like you! I guess I was just pointing out the difference between how she treats me and how she treats you. A world of difference.

Laurie - please, just take this as a comment - but you've kept everybody posted on what a bind this wedding is for you...

Your motherwasn't supportive, your problem with a distant bridesmaid, your limo and the cost of hire, the problems you had finding a dress, your preoccupation with your weight - and now, jeesh! How much this is costing you!

You want a luxury wedding on a shoestring!

You want glitz and glamour but as cheaply as possible!

Hell hun, either just suck it up or call it off!

You want the big wedding, it's gonna cost you, because guess what? All the companies involved in making your wedding the day of your dreams aren't in it for the romantic love of it. They want your money, because you want the dream. Thoughts of 'charity' budget' and economy don't figure, to them. They have a business to run, and women like you keep it afloat.

It sounds more trouble than it's worth to you.

I'm actually worried that on the day you'll be so anxious, that you won't be relaxed enough to just let go and enjoy it!

I mean, what are you doing it for?

For whom?

because if it's for you - why are you complaining so much?

Wow, you are so rude. But the something borrowed is an excellent idea, I was looking for that. It's the only thing I don't have.

I'm not rude, LB, I'm merely explaining the difference between you and I. I just wouldn't wear preworn cheap shoes to my wedding. But I also wouldn't have 200 guests in a ballroom, either, particularly budget style. I'd rather have a small, elegant wedding with the money you're going to spend. And guess what? That's exactly want I'm going to do.

As I said, to each their own.

As for how I treat you vs. how I treat Allina, you are two compleletly different people, with two different sets of ideals and values when it comes to wedding planning, amongst MANY other things. So why shouldn't I treat you differently??

Lauriebell82
Laurie - please, just take this as a comment - but you've kept everybody posted on what a bind this wedding is for you...

Your motherwasn't supportive, your problem with a distant bridesmaid, your limo and the cost of hire, the problems you had finding a dress, your preoccupation with your weight - and now, jeesh! How much this is costing you!

You want a luxury wedding on a shoestring!

You want glitz and glamour but as cheaply as possible!

Hell hun, either just suck it up or call it off!

You want the big wedding, it's gonna cost you, because guess what? All the companies involved in making your wedding the day of your dreams aren't in it for the romantic love of it. They want your money, because you want the dream. Thoughts of 'charity' budget' and economy don't figure, to them. They have a business to run, and women like you keep it afloat.

It sounds more trouble than it's worth to you.

I'm actually worried that on the day you'll be so anxious, that you won't be relaxed enough to just let go and enjoy it!

I mean, what are you doing it for?

For whom?

because if it's for you - why are you complaining so much?

I disagree, you can definately have a beautiful wedding on a budget. I don't have millions of dollars, I want to have a beautiful big wedding on an affordable budget. Which is exactly what I'm doing. I don't think $20,000 is a shoe string budget at all!!!! It's not a platinum wedding! I still don't understand why everyone thinks that is so wrong? We know you are against big weddings Tara, so if you are biased against it then maybe sharing your feelings about big weddings to people who are having them isn't the most helpful thing.

I appreciate the thoughts, wedding planning is just stressful no matter what you do. It's good to have an outlet to share that. This is a perfect example on how people can use what you say against you. Oh well, it happens.

Lauriebell82
I'm not rude, LB, I'm merely explaining the difference between you and I. I just wouldn't wear preworn cheap shoes to my wedding. But I also wouldn't have 200 guests in a ballroom, either, particularly budget style. I'd rather have a small, elegant wedding with the money you're going to spend. And guess what? That's exactly want I'm going to do.

As I said, to each their own.

As for how I treat you vs. how I treat Allina, you are two compleletly different people, with two different sets of ideals and values when it comes to wedding planning, amongst MANY other things. So why shouldn't I treat you differently??

You could treat me NICELY, even though Allina and I are two different people. It's not okay to treat people badly no matter what their ideals or values are.

I don't think $20,000 is a shoe string budget at all!!!! It's not a platinum wedding! I still don't understand why everyone thinks that is so wrong?

It actually IS somewhat of a shoestring budget for 200 guests in a ballroom. Really... that's why people are impressed with your budgeting skills.

Truly, honestly, I'm curious how you were able to pull that off. Where did you save? I'm assuming the ballroom was pricey to rent, and that you have a nice photographer, and nice flowers, and a DJ or band, and we know you're getting a limo, and have a beautiful dress... so where is the savings? Are you not having a sit down dinner? Or is it just heavy appetizers? Or are you not having an open bar?

Good friends of ours are getting married, and they have 195 RSVPs and they're in for about $80K right now. Granted, that is really high to me, but apparently around $45-50K is now average for a 200 person wedding.

Maybe it's just the difference in the areas we live?

You could treat me NICELY, even though Allina and I are two different people. It's not okay to treat people badly no matter what their ideals or values are.

:confused: I'm not treating you badly either, LB. I'm simply stating what I am going to do, and how it's different from what you are going to do. You're jumping to the conclusion that simply because I don't agree with your choices and wouldn't do them myself means I'm treating you badly, but that's not the case at all. We simply have vastly different ideals. Big vs. small, ballroom vs. intimate, cheap shoes vs. nice shoes, etc. It's no different than me saying, oh, I don't know, that I'm not going to have a colored sash on my dress, because I want it to be white. I'm not saying that people who wear color on their dress are bad people or anything, or putting them down as you claim to think, I'm just simply saying it's not something I would do. Ever.