Update on new job

Okay, I did google job-hopping and understand better why it can be a problem.

Laurie, what's your career plan? If you had everything in your favor, where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?

In my field, our career objectives explain why we switch jobs.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Okay, I did google job-hopping and understand better why it can be a problem.

Laurie, what's your career plan? If you had everything in your favor, where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?

In my field, our career objectives explain why we switch jobs.

I would like to be an addictions therapist/counselor for the next 5 or so years until I gain a lot of experience. I then would like to move into a supervisory role and eventually (10-20 years down the road) be the clinical director of an agency.

In social services the motivation is to make more money, the career goals usually come in 2nd. I guess because jobs pay so low in social services that people just want to make enough money to make ends meat.

LB, I'm not sure about your field, but is it even realistic to think you can be a unsupervised (as in, a supervisor isn't in the room with you) counselor right out of grad school? Is there a "step" of some sort that you can or should do between grad school and actually counseling? Or did you do counseling while in grad school (akin to a residency in med school)? Sorry, I just don't have any understanding of how that all works for you.

In comparing it to the practice of law, most law grads don't get sworn in and turn around and start taking expert witness depositions. Well, I did, admittedly, but I fully acknowledge that my opportunities were the exception, not the rule. Most first year associates spend the majority of their time doing research and very minor hearings and conferences.

I'm not trying to discourage you from shooting for the stars, but perhaps something more entry level might be a better fit for now? I'm not sure what jobs you're applying for, but perhaps your experience doesn't fit? Just thinking of suggestions to get you out of your current situation and on the path you want...

In social services the motivation is to make more money, the career goals usually come in 2nd.

Okay, this is contrary to everyone I know in social services. They're not motivated by making more money AT ALL. They sacrafice a lot of things so that they can have the career they want...

• Author
Lauriebell82
LB, I'm not sure about your field, but is it even realistic to think you can be a unsupervised (as in, a supervisor isn't in the room with you) counselor right out of grad school? Is there a "step" of some sort that you can or should do between grad school and actually counseling? Or did you do counseling while in grad school (akin to a residency in med school)? Sorry, I just don't have any understanding of how that all works for you.

In my earlier post I said that I wanted to be an addictions counselor for the next 5 years THEN move into a supervisory role. I am trained/qualified to be an actual counselor, to have a caseload, however I have to work under a supervisor and will not be able to supervise anyone until I gain adequate experience.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Okay, this is contrary to everyone I know in social services. They're not motivated by making more money AT ALL. They sacrafice a lot of things so that they can have the career they want...

Whoops I mixed that up. People who have many years of experience sacrifice that to be in the field, I agree.

I have to do that by taking that job since the pay is lower and I am overqualified.

I would like to be an addictions therapist/counselor for the next 5 or so years until I gain a lot of experience. I then would like to move into a supervisory role and eventually (10-20 years down the road) be the clinical director of an agency.

In social services the motivation is to make more money, the career goals usually come in 2nd. I guess because jobs pay so low in social services that people just want to make enough money to make ends meat.

So your motivation for wanting to move up to a supervisory role and eventually a director role would be primarily financial? Does the work load, possibility to pick interesting cases, to participate in the definition of best practices, networking, R&D opportunities not also improve?

• Author
Lauriebell82
So your motivation for wanting to move up to a supervisory role and eventually a director role would be primarily financial? Does the work load, possibility to pick interesting cases, to participate in the definition of best practices, networking, R&D opportunities not also improve?

Oh yeah, it's not just about the money. I mixed up what I said, I want to move up in order to learn and gain more expeirence. More money just happens to be a bonus.

After all, I didn't get into social services to make a lot of dough.

In my earlier post I said that I wanted to be an addictions counselor for the next 5 years THEN move into a supervisory role. I am trained/qualified to be an actual counselor, to have a caseload, however I have to work under a supervisor and will not be able to supervise anyone until I gain adequate experience.

I saw that, but my question wasn't about the supervisory role you want... it was the addictions counselor role you want NOW. Are you sure you're qualified for that? (You know, I don't. :))

Oh yeah, it's not just about the money. I mixed up what I said, I want to move up in order to learn and gain more expeirence. More money just happens to be a bonus.

After all, I didn't get into social services to make a lot of dough.

that's why I asked. I thought that answer was a bit too stark.

Given that, what is it in particular that you want to develop in your career? What do you need in order to get to your 5 year, 10 year, 20 year old goals and where-how can you gain that experience?

Also, what in particular do you bring to the table?

i'm asking because it isn't clear to me whether you just want a job that pays the bills or whether you're career-driven. And there's nothing wrong with either, but I think they do inform the choices we make and the way we present ourselves in interviews. Also, having a clear idea of your career objectives can help you address any "job-hopping" in your resume (which you can talk about in your cover letter when you apply.

• Author
Lauriebell82
I saw that, but my question wasn't about the supervisory role you want... it was the addictions counselor role you want NOW. Are you sure you're qualified for that? (You know, I don't. :))

I am qualified, that's exactly what I did at my last job. I managed a caseload of 40 people, did individual and group therapy and case management. My supervisor would never be in the room with me, only give me supervision when we would meet once a week.

I am overqualified for this position that I interviewed for because I would NOT have own caseload I would basically assist the counselors who do (which is what I did at my last job).

• Author
Lauriebell82
that's why I asked. I thought that answer was a bit too stark.

Given that, what is it in particular that you want to develop in your career? What do you need in order to get to your 5 year, 10 year, 20 year old goals and where-how can you gain that experience?

I want to become more knowledgable and learn about counseling, as well as perfecting my skills. I need to do that in order to move into a supervisory role because I will need to work with counselors and help them perfect their skills. So in order to do that you basically have to start as a counselor to learn more about that.

Also, what in particular do you bring to the table?

I'm a good counselor? I am unsure what you mean.

i'm asking because it isn't clear to me whether you just want a job that pays the bills or whether you're career-driven. And there's nothing wrong with either, but I think they do inform the choices we make and the way we present ourselves in interviews. Also, having a clear idea of your career objectives can help you address any "job-hopping" in your resume (which you can talk about in your cover letter when you apply.

Well, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to make more money someday. It's common sense that people want to do that. It's definately not all about the money, if I cared about making a ton of money I would not be in this field and would NEVER go on a interview or be interested in the jobs because none of them pay particularly high. I know what you mean though, I'm always positive when they tell me the salary (it's not negoiable, there is ALWAYS a set salary) and tell them I am perfectly fine with it. (which I am) I don't expect to get paid big bucks with my experience.

I'm a good counselor? I am unsure what you mean.

How do you understand the field of addiction counseling and what do you or would you eventually like to bring to it that is unique? What would you improve in that field if you could? I'm thinking big picture here.

• Author
Lauriebell82
How do you understand the field of addiction counseling and what do you or would you eventually like to bring to it that is unique? What would you improve in that field if you could? I'm thinking big picture here.

Oh, okay I got you now.

Well, addictions counseling is pretty complex. Working with addicts is not easy, you can't just talk to them and they will all of the sudden be cured. It's up to them. So basically the role of the counselor is to be the "aid" basically. The client has to do the work and the counselor provides the support and encouragement that the client needs to stop using.

I don't know about unique, I guess you could say that I have a genuine nature that shows in my counseling. My supervisor always told me that. And it's a characteristic that not all counselors have. Because I have that, clients feel that it is easier to open up to me and work with me.

As far as improving it, that's a tough thing to do. Clients don't always complete treatment and never come back. It's hard to see a client relapse after they have been clean for a long time. So I guess I could say that an improvement in the field would be for more people to understand that addiction is a lifelong struggle and you can't "save" addicts, they have to save themselves.

I am qualified, that's exactly what I did at my last job. I managed a caseload of 40 people, did individual and group therapy and case management. My supervisor would never be in the room with me, only give me supervision when we would meet once a week.

I am overqualified for this position that I interviewed for because I would NOT have own caseload I would basically assist the counselors who do (which is what I did at my last job).

Okay, you're not understanding me.

Just because you had a certain job, doesn't mean you were qualified for it, or that you're now overqualified for a job that had less responsibilities than that job. Again, with all due respect, LB... you were fired from the job where you counseled clients and had your own caseload.

So that begs the question, are you sure that you're qualified to be a stand-alone counselor...right now? Or do you think perhaps you'd benefit from some basic training in that area before you're qualified to do that?

Try not to let your ego get in the way here. This is just as much a rhetorical question designed for some introspection as it is my own curiosity. :)

Have you seen this, LB? Looks like your prospects are great! :)

"Job prospects. Job opportunities should be favorable because job openings are expected to exceed the number of graduates from counseling programs, particularly in rural areas. Substance abuse counselors should enjoy particularly good job prospects."

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos067.htm#outlook

As far as improving it, that's a tough thing to do. Clients don't always complete treatment and never come back. It's hard to see a client relapse after they have been clean for a long time. So I guess I could say that an improvement in the field would be for more people to understand that addiction is a lifelong struggle and you can't "save" addicts, they have to save themselves.

Who are those people? the clients? Other counsellors? The public at large?

How could you in practical terms bring about that improvement? And which counseling agencies do you know adopt this approach as a practice? Are they hiring ;)?

Edited by Kamille
  • Author
Lauriebell82
Okay, you're not understanding me.

Just because you had a certain job, doesn't mean you were qualified for it, or that you're now overqualified for a job that had less responsibilities than that job. Again, with all due respect, LB... you were fired from the job where you counseled clients and had your own caseload.

So that begs the question, are you sure that you're qualified to be a stand-alone counselor...right now? Or do you think perhaps you'd benefit from some basic training in that area before you're qualified to do that?

Try not to let your ego get in the way here. This is just as much a rhetorical question designed for some introspection as it is my own curiosity. :)

I know EXACTLY what you are saying...I fully understand.

I know EXACTLY what you are saying...I fully understand.

Good. Perhaps you can use that to tailor your job search. :)

• Author
Lauriebell82

No, what I was trying to say was that I understood what you were trying to say. I didn't want to start an argument so I didn't put my opinion in there...

• Author
Lauriebell82

Oh YAY, they are checking all my references!!! I hope they are serious about me and it's not just a formality. I wouldn't think someone would go to that much trouble if they didn't want to hire them..right?

I need to get out of this job, I worked a total of 3 hours in the past two weeks. It's horrible!!!:mad:

• Author
Lauriebell82
You should give it a try as you said before It will look bad so why not paying attention to your job, did you find another job?

I'm barely making any money at my current job which is why I'm looking for a new one..I had an interview last week for a position, granted it has bad hours and lower pay, but at least I can get out of my current job.

Currently, the company I interviewed with is checking my references and already gave me a drug test. So hopefully they will hire me since they are going to the trouble of checking my references!

It's looking good LB! Checking the references is definitely a sign of interest. But, my dad has hired many people as a HR rep, and he would sometimes check references to determine which of the strongest candidates to give the job to (when they were pretty equal on paper and in the interview). So, for now, sit tight.

Fingers crossed!