Update on new job

Definitely say that you feel your strengths are in addiction counseling. Also, what do you know about this other company? Throw something in there that shows you are motivated to work for them because of what they stand for. The idea is that you want to convince them that you are the ideal fit for them, just like they are the ideal fit for you. Basically, that you knowingly applied at their organization and that they are your first choice. That is your justification for leaving your current job after one month. There doesn't need to be anything wrong with you or the current job, it's just that the other opportunity is a better fit all around.

skydiveaddict
yea give it a year or so but keep looking for other positions in the meantime...in this economy consider yourself lucky to just have a job

agreed..............

Well, I would kind of like some kind of justification for leaving a job after a month.

Understandable. I'd just say, "I'm employed, but I'm not actually working. I want to actually work and counsel clients."

The way this job pays is that you get paid when you see clients and do paperwork. But if the client doesn't show up you don't get paid!!! .

LB- welcome to my world. This is the way I get paid and it can be very very stressful especially at the beginning when you are establishing yourself.

I think its unfair given your limited work experience- in my job part of my contract is the practice is responsible for advertising and making sure my diary is full.

Apply for the other job and say what k and sg said- that you actually want to work and that you are keen to work full time- you took the PT job because it was the only option available to you at the time.

Well, I would kind of like some kind of justification for leaving a job after a month. I was thinking I could say that it's just part time and I'm intested in full time because I enjoying working and staying busy. That makes me seem motivated also. Then I open myself up for the "well why did you except a part time job then?" question.

I could say that I want to get into addictions counseling again (thats what this job is, an addictions counselor) and feel that is want I want to do with my career.

I think this is a good idea LB :)

• Author
Lauriebell82

So I went to the job interview today and it went extremely well. She was very impressed.

It's a bachelors level position and she stated in the interview that she knew I was overqualified. There are Masters level positions open (which I have applied to and she knows this), however they are in other units of this organization (it is a HUGE organization) so she doesn't have any control over them. The hours for this job are not the greatest and I really wouldn't be doing therapy, more providing support for the therapists.

I really want to hold out to see if I hear about the Masters level positions but if I do happen to get an offer for this job it would not probably be in my best interest to turn it down.

Ugh, so confused.

So I went to the job interview today and it went extremely well. She was very impressed.

It's a bachelors level position and she stated in the interview that she knew I was overqualified. There are Masters level positions open (which I have applied to and she knows this), however they are in other units of this organization (it is a HUGE organization) so she doesn't have any control over them. The hours for this job are not the greatest and I really wouldn't be doing therapy, more providing support for the therapists.

I really want to hold out to see if I hear about the Masters level positions but if I do happen to get an offer for this job it would not probably be in my best interest to turn it down.

Ugh, so confused.

But then when you interview for the Masters level position, you'd have to explain why you wanted to leave your second job after such a short time... That wouldn't be good.

I'd hold out if I were you. The last thing you want to look like is a short-term job hopper.

• Author
Lauriebell82

You mean if I accept the bachelors level job first and THEN interview for the Masters level one?

What I would have to do then would be work at the bachelors level job for a while until a Masters level one opens up. I don't think they would see that as a red flag because they probably realize I'd rather be doing a job that I'm qualified for (therapist position). But I would probably have to work at the bachelors level one for some time in order for them to see what I can do. You are right about being a short-term job hopper.

My fear is that I won't even get any interviews for the Masters level jobs I applied to and I will be stuck in a job where I'm not making any money.

Hmmm... Now is a great time to do a follow up on the master's level applications. Who can you contact to find out if they are hiring at that level?

Also, I agree with you LB... I would be inclined to take the bachelor level job - but would try to negotiate that I could apply at a master's level job after a set amount of time at the organization (like say 6 months). I mean, the knowledge you would acquire at a bachelor's level could only benefit you at a master's level right?

Did she mention anything about pay rates? Would they still be required to pay you at a master's level since this is the education you have?

• Author
Lauriebell82
Hmmm... Now is a great time to do a follow up on the master's level applications. Who can you contact to find out if they are hiring at that level?

I'm not sure. I already talked to the HR person and she forwards the resumes to the different departments that are looking. I could call the departments in charge of the two Masters level positions to check on them.

Also, I agree with you LB... I would be inclined to take the bachelor level job - but would try to negotiate that I could apply at a master's level job after a set amount of time at the organization (like say 6 months). I mean, the knowledge you would acquire at a bachelor's level could only benefit you at a master's level right?

Eh, yes and no. It would give me a better idea of how the unit works, however if I were to apply for a therapist position in another unit it would be completely different. I already am familiar with doing individual/group counseling with addicted clients so this position wouldn't really teach me anything I already know. Actually I wouldn't even be doing what I did at my last job. Its just really not what I want to do long term.

Did she mention anything about pay rates? Would they still be required to pay you at a master's level since this is the education you have?

Yep, the other downside is the huge pay difference. The bachelors level position pays $9,000 less then the Masters level. They can pay me at the bachelors level even though I have a Masters degree. :mad:

threebyfate

Large organizations usually means there are opportunities for upward mobility. Do you happen to know if they post jobs internally, for staff access?

• Author
Lauriebell82
Large organizations usually means there are opportunities for upward mobility. Do you happen to know if they post jobs internally, for staff access?

Yes, they do. The interviewer actually told me that if therapist positions opened up within the detox unit (thats the unit I interviewed for) then I would be eligible to apply for that. So I would have a chance to get a therapist position within the organization, however I would probably have to work at the bachelors level job for some time before that would happen.

threebyfate
Yes, they do. The interviewer actually told me that if therapist positions opened up within the detox unit (thats the unit I interviewed for) then I would be eligible to apply for that. So I would have a chance to get a therapist position within the organization, however I would probably have to work at the bachelors level job for some time before that would happen.
An old mentor of mine once said, "sometimes you have to take a step backwards, to go forwards" and I agree with him.

At one time, he used to run with the big dogs like Conrad Black, his annual earnings, through the roof. Then, he got himself into hot water, bad hot water, losing almost everything. So then, he took a job that was far, far below his capabilities and education level but with the potential to make things happen, if he wanted it to happen. And happen it did, through his perserverence, drive, flair and determination.

Then really this sounds like a foot in the door LB. Hope you get the job!

• Author
Lauriebell82
Then really this sounds like a foot in the door LB. Hope you get the job!

Thanks. Fiance says I'm being too picky wanting to hold out for my "dream job" when I'm not making any money and should just be taking anything that comes along. I feel like my career is a mess right now, it's so hard!

On the other hand, look what happened when you grabbed a job that was not quite perfect for you.

• Author
Lauriebell82
On the other hand, look what happened when you grabbed a job that was not quite perfect for you.

Yeah, I know. :(

The hours are literally so horrible..I was asked to be in a wedding a few months and it is out of town. I would have to take time off from work in order to even be in it and I doubt I would get vacation that soon. I would have to take unpaid days off probably and the company would not like that at all. Fiance doesn't seem to understand it at all. He says I should just take any old job that comes my way for the good of the family. But like you said, look what happened when I agreed to do that with this job.

Part of my point...

• Author
Lauriebell82

Yeah I hat feeling like I have to accept a job that I don't want. I guess that's the economy right now though...

The hours are literally so horrible..I was asked to be in a wedding a few months and it is out of town. I would have to take time off from work in order to even be in it and I doubt I would get vacation that soon. I would have to take unpaid days off probably and the company would not like that at all.

LB.. In this case you simply don't go to the wedding...

I also agree with Alpha and SDA and think that today you are lucky to have any job to pay your bills.

If you don't want to look like a job hopper then just hold the job for a year or so.

I also agree with your fiancée about making the family a priority right now.

Nothing wrong with pursuing your dreams but you have to live and pay bills too and even if your did wait till you got your dream job you also may not be happy in that either as you don't know who or what you will be working for in your dream job.

:laugh:

LB got a job where she doesn't earn. In fact, she spends time and money getting there.

Reminds me of a "job" I took back home once. After looking for months, a golden opportunity opened up and I got hired.

But it was to sell English courses to pedestrians on the street on commission and the only thing I gained was that I perspired my Mom's jacket and had to take it to the cleaners.

But LB, you may eventually get patients once you schedule some appts with the supervisor since therapists are so popular now.

• Author
Lauriebell82
LB.. In this case you simply don't go to the wedding....

I already agreed to it..I'm the maid of honor. This was before I was even offered the job I had now. No way would I back out. I'd rather take an unpaid day. She just moved here from another country and has nobody else.

Nothing wrong with pursuing your dreams but you have to live and pay bills too and even if your did wait till you got your dream job you also may not be happy in that either as you don't know who or what you will be working for in your dream job.

Yeah, the point though is that I'm NOT making any money. So the job is pretty much pointless to have. That's the only reason I am looking for a new one. If the job I had now was salaried and steady money then I would stay at it even though it's not exactly what I want to do. I'm not disputing what you are saying, I mean I know that I should be lucky to have a job but I want one that actually pays!

• Author
Lauriebell82
:laugh:

LB got a job where she doesn't earn. In fact, she spends time and money getting there.

Reminds me of a "job" I took back home once. After looking for months, a golden opportunity opened up and I got hired.

But it was to sell English courses to pedestrians on the street on commission and the only thing I gained was that I perspired my Mom's jacket and had to take it to the cleaners.

But LB, you may eventually get patients once you schedule some appts with the supervisor since therapists are so popular now.

Well I have been scheduled with a few clients, however they have all cancelled. So I get no money.

I have a client today, however her mom cancelled the appointment last week 45 minutes beforehand (I was about to leave to go there). So I'm not holding my breath that she won't cancel this week. The client (she is 16) lives in a very chaotic household where there is alcoholism. So I'm not confident that I will actually see her today. And if I don't, it will cost me $120.

I have a client today...

lives in a very chaotic household where there is alcoholism

Good luck!

Hope you see her and if not her it'll be someone else.

Just be a little patient. If the guys and girls like you you might be very popular. Especially since you are young and pretty and nice.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Good luck!

Hope you see her and if not her it'll be someone else.

Just be a little patient. If the guys and girls like you you might be very popular. Especially since you are young and pretty and nice.

Thanks! Fiance said the same thing about hopefully building up a client base. It's just hard because I have worked there for a month and have not seen a single client and I don't know how to do any of the paperwork. I feel like I don't even have a job!