Is putting "no children" on the invitation a no-no?

Lauriebell82

Disillusioned
Our venue is super fancy and formal (our whole wedding is) therefore we have made the decision not to invite small children (like under 13ish). It's not a good venue for children and I'd be afraid they would go try to jump off the balcany!

So my question is: is it improper etiquette to put "no small children" on the invitation? I don't want people to be offended but I am also worried that people will invite their children to come even if they aren't on the invitation.

Does anyone have experience with this? How did you handle it?

Some people are going to bring their kids no matter what. (I'm thinking of two specific ethnic groups in which it's expected to let one's kids run around like apes.)

SuburbanOblivion

Either arrange childcare at someone's home for the guests' kids, or let everyone know you will have a list of reliable babysitters on call.

Don't just present your guests with a problem(what to do with their kids) have a solution on hand. It will save years of grief in the long run.

I have no love for children but I've never heard of an "adults only" wedding. I admire the OP and yet the few traditional sensibilities I have are somewhat taken-aback.