Equal opportunity employment sucks sometimes!

Let me ask this..

Why is affirmative action need considering we live in such a capitalistic society? Are businesses really going to pass on a black man that they feel would increase revenue, or in some way save the company more money because he is black? I doubt it.

And since many people are multi racial, where do they fit in? Would someone like a Tiger Woods or an Obama benefit from affirmative action? What % black must they be? 100? 75? 50? 25?

• Author

Honestly, I only want to hire the best person for the job.

When I am interviewing, I don't care about the colour of their skin, I don't care about their sexual preference, I don't care about their gender. In order for things to function efficiently, it just makes sense to me to hire the most qualified person.

As I said before, I am well aware that awesome people, qualified people have been discriminated against in the past because of the colour of their skin. I fully support how wrong that is. I just can't help but see the hyprocrisy of what is now happening in reverse. That is discrimination to me.

In the States, it is coined affirmative action- here, it falls under equal opportunity employment. It does include gays with regard to our company policy. I was briefed on that during my orientation - however, being in fashion, gay men are not a minority in my business.

TwinkletOes26
Let me ask this..

Why is affirmative action need considering we live in such a capitalistic society? Are businesses really going to pass on a black man that they feel would increase revenue, or in some way save the company more money because he is black? I doubt it.

And since many people are multi racial, where do they fit in? Would someone like a Tiger Woods or an Obama benefit from affirmative action? What % black must they be? 100? 75? 50? 25?

Ever hear of the one drop rule if not google it...it will answer all your questions. Peoples prejudice often overrules whats best sadly...and not just white ...black as well. I know just as many racist black folks as I do white. I think everyone needs to learn to worry about skill and performance instead of how tan someone is.

Pink Cupcakes

Yah Dlish but you were saying that a gay guy is considered a minority as much as a black woman, and that's not true really.

On paper and interviews, a white gay guy is a white guy. You were the one who brought gay guys into it and it's kind of confusing here because HR is preferring that you hire a qualified minority over a qualifed white person. Is HR stating that they prefer to hire white gay men over white women? Are these gay guys you are interviewing stating at the interviews that they are gay? Are you, as an interviewer asking them this?

I agree with Pink as i find that confusing as well. Equal employment covers the following protected classes, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, and physical or mental disabilities any other legally protected characteristic. Do you have something on the application that asks them to indicate any of the above?

Affirmative action is the set of public policies and initiatives designed to help eliminate past and present discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. So sexual orientation is not considered part of the affirmative action guidelines.

Your white female candidate would fall into affirmative action based on her gender. Was HR mandating that you hire someone else or asking you to consider, or argue, the merits of her vs someone else? If she was not working in regards to what they wanted to affirmative action, then who did they want you to hire.

Does your company have an affirmative action program in place or something that HR is trying to take into consideration? Not every company, at least in the US, has a program or is required to have a program in place.

Honestly I would engage HR further and get a little more information. If you feel that she is the best candidate then you hire based on that. Just have your supporting reasons on why that is the case. But am still confused why they/you are thinking she doesn't qualify for affirmative action.

Gender, sexuality, age, religion, ethnicity, disability - all areas where potential employers may prosecuted for discrimination amd may therefore be monitoring/targeting.

For the US' definition of Affirmative Action, sexual orientation does not fall into it. It is targeting, race, gender and ethnicity, so while there is discussion on sexual orientation it is not currently part of this program (again not for the US).

• Author
I agree with Pink as i find that confusing as well. Equal employment covers the following protected classes, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, and physical or mental disabilities any other legally protected characteristic. Do you have something on the application that asks them to indicate any of the above?

Affirmative action is the set of public policies and initiatives designed to help eliminate past and present discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. So sexual orientation is not considered part of the affirmative action guidelines.

I'm not in the states, I'm in Canada- this isn't affirmative action - it falls under equal opportunity, and every company has it's own mandate. Not every company adopts an equal opportunity program.

The message is to reflect community diversity.

When you fill out an application, you have the option of checking your ethnicity and gender, it doesn't go beyond that. Other things will become apparant during an interview.

I'm not in the states, I'm in Canada- this isn't affirmative action - it falls under equal opportunity, and every company has it's own mandate. Not every company adopts an equal opportunity program.

The message is to reflect community diversity.

When you fill out an application, you have the option of checking your ethnicity and gender, it doesn't go beyond that. Other things will become apparant during an interview.

While I disagree that each company has it's own mandates, the Canadian Human Rights Act follows the following:

The Human Rights Act is a provincial law that prohibits discrimination and harassment in:

• Employment
  • Housing
  • Public services for example schools, stores, motels, hospitals, police and most government services
  • Publicity, and
  • Certain associations

The grounds of prohibited discrimination are:

• Race
  • Colour
  • National origin
  • Place of origin
  • Ancestry
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • Sexual orientation
  • Physical or mental disability
  • Social condition, which includes source of income, level of education and occupation, and
  • Political belief or activity

So, yes, sexual orientation, does fall into it. I would still argue that gender is in there as well so is as great a factor as national origin or sexual orientation. In fact if HR is arguing that one protected class is more or less than another then they are in fact discriminating as well.

• Author

I was just gathering this info similar to our hiring policy:

"xxx " does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment based upon race, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, HIV-positive status, or social or economic class. The company will make any reasonable effort to ensure that all applicants and employees will receive equal opportunity in personnel matters, including recruiting, selection, training, placement, promotion, wages and benefits, transfers, terminations, and working conditions.

"xx" is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to representing the diverse communities we serve. That's why we encourage applications from visible minorities, aboriginal people, and people with disabilities.

I read my policy over and over during the hiring process.

I couldn't help but think that not hiring this girl was a breach of our own policy.

But nothing is spoken outright against a hire- it's implication and innuendo..."think diversity", things like that.

I personally have followed that policy- 75% of my hires until this situation have fallen under the umbrella of minorities/sexual orientation.

I just have to stay focused, and make sure I don't let my resent over this issue get in the way of the person that was actually hired. I was pissed she showed up late for her first day- and that just added to the anger I was already feeling. I have to wipe the slate clean and start fresh with her this week.

I have a friend who managed a hotel. Out of the 8 people she hired, 7 were African American.

So, when employees screw up, as they often times do, she fired them.

She was visited by some minority rights groups and questioned about her firing of African Americans..Even though she almost solely hired African Americans, firing them was enough to put her in hot water.

I feel all of these "victims rights groups" actually hurt African Americans more than they help.. Once an African american is hired, companies must walk on eggshells to make sure they will not face some huge lawsuit for perceived discrimination. What company wants to deal with that?