Equal opportunity employment sucks sometimes!

...Anyone else have experience with this?

I am new to corporate life, and sometimes the politics upset me.

I don't care about someone's ethnicity- I just want the best possible person for the job.

i've gotten a coupla jobs cause i'm brown

I would be tempted to inform the first choice candidate of the situation so she can sue for racial discrimination. Serves the company right. At the very least you should take this further with the appropriate legal departments and make an official complaint of racism. They are breaking the law by refusing to hire someone because of the colour of their skin.

• Author
I'd like to know what company you work for, so I can never do business with them. Why do business with a company that hires under-qualified people? Horrible. I'm sorry for your situation D-Lish :o

If you've ever shopped in a mall, you've been in the store, depending on your age, you've most likely purchased something from us.

Are you charming too?:cool:

I would be tempted to inform the first choice candidate of the situation so she can sue for racial discrimination. Serves the company right. At the very least you should take this further with the appropriate legal departments and make an official complaint of racism. They are breaking the law by refusing to hire someone because of the colour of their skin.

Well, it's never said outright.

HR has never said "you have to hire "XYZ", it's always innuendo.

It's internal discussions going on with higher ups and I get the trickle down. No one had ever said not to hire a white person- they only say "we give everyone an equal opportunity"...

I guess they have to make quotas, and HR has those records.

I'm newish, I try not to cause waves.:o

When you apply online- there is an optional "fill out your ethnicity" section. You don't have to fill it out- but I assume that if you don't answer it, your application is discarded.

skydiveaddict
Now I am wondering if I even have an opportunity for advancement with this company because of my skin colour. My boss is pregnant- and she will be going on mat leave in 5 months. She told me at lunch yesterday that she wants to recommend me for an interim replacement - I now wonder if that would pose an issue.

All this EOE stuff would drive me insane. I think common sense would say that someone should be able to hire the best person for the job. I wouldn't worry about your advancement though. I'm sure you'll do fine. You seem to assert yourself very well

If it doesn't work out though, I bet I could get you a job climbing wind turbines. (I'm thinking that might not be your passion in life however lol).

Regardless of how the instructions "trickled down" to you, the result is that the preferred candidate did not get the job because of the colour of her skin. That is racial discrimination, and is therefore against the law.

skydiveaddict

Nice. Does that work equally well in the dating scene? lol

TwinkletOes26
Last time I checked, the dude at the top in the US was a minority. That excuse isn't going to work anymore...

Names have cultural undertones as well. Shaniqua and Michelle may both be black, but admittedly one does sound more... professional. Same thing with Nikki vs. Nicole, etc.

Many schools get funding based on property taxes. Property taxes in the inner city bring in substantially less than the 'burbs.

What does the president of the united states' race have to do with the way company hiring policy is written? I am of the belief that the president is no more than a figure head and theres a group of people making all of the decision behind the curtain but that is another argument for another time.

Yes the argument still works because the fact of the matter is there is STEEEEL a glass ceiling for YOU and me sg. Simply because we are not white males. It was you I believe who said people trust those that look like them well look around who is in power who has always been in power and who will probably always remain in power? So yes I dont care who is the president it will be a very long time before the "good ole boy" system is taken out of practice.

Now as far as funding goes the funding goes loads of people have talked about how unfair it is to base how much money a school gets based on property taxes bc it will always end up the schools who need the most funding(poverty stricken areas) will always get less than the school who would survive without as much. Now there have been programs to help but they are STEEEEEL not enough. Every child deserves the same education regardless. Its not lil billys fault that he was born in a inner city than it is Karens fault that she was raised in a nice middle class suburb.

Even though PEOPLE are changing their attitudes towards the poor and minorities various POLICIES have not.Even if everybody decided to not see race the BIG things that make things so unequal based on class and race wouldnt change. You need to change policies regarding education and work opportunities. Read any sociological article and you will see institutional racism is what has replaced individual racism.

I am not going to sit here and argue about this anymore because I feel that it would be hijacking this thread which is against the rules...but everything I have said can be found by simply googling. Im not just pulling things out of my behind I swear.

Most people who don't get jobs aren't too white, they're either too unqualified or too stupid. Perhaps those shouldn't be discriminated against either. After all, they too have to eat!
The incompetent tend to drive out the talent, and run the company down into oblivion.
Well, guess who rolled in 45 min late for her first day of orientation?

:mad:

the new non-white girl that you hired?

• Author
Figures...

It just starts everything off on the wrong foot.

I admit feeling some resentment over the hire- but when she showed up that late, I was even more pissed.

• Author
Who shows up late for their first day of work? Does this girl really want the job?

Did she have a good reason for being late?

She said she got caught in traffic.

I gave her an expectations speech at the end of the day.

It just got off to a bad start:mad:

Pink Cupcakes

Gay doesn't really fit in to hiring, it's not like they ask you on a job application orit comes up in an interview. You keep mentioning that gay men are considered minorities, that doesn't count for employment/human resources type quotas.

TwinkletOes26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmxb-cVNj5s

Someone brought up barack obama changing the way people see race so that is why Im posting the video above. Enjoy This guy does several videos involving race and social structure in america fascinatng.

Disclaimer : im not aiming this at anyone and I am no way saying anyone in this thread or on this board is racist. I dont know anyone on here well enough to say as such.

Edited by TwinkletOes26
skydiveaddict
She said she got caught in traffic.

I gave her an expectations speech at the end of the day.

It just got off to a bad start:mad:

Well see how it goes. She may turn out well . But I agree, 45 min. late on the first day is a big concern .

• Author
Gay doesn't really fit in to hiring, it's not like they ask you on a job application orit comes up in an interview. You keep mentioning that gay men are considered minorities, that doesn't count for employment/human resources type quotas.

Want to make a bet on that one?

Equal opportunity means not discriminating against anybody.

TwinkletOes26

D if more hiring managers were like you we wouldnt even need quotas and affirmative action. Skills and qualifications are all that should count not skin color/gender...such a shame that sometimes it does smh:mad:.

Well, being a white male I MUST compete with EVERYONE based solely on MERIT.. That means against Asians, other whites, Jews, women, African Americans etc.

Companies in my area try to reflect the cultural make up of the city.

Hmmm..

So considering 50% of African Americans drop out of high school, about 25% of males 21-30 are in one form of the correctional system, and maybe only 15% even graduate college, they are GUARANTEED A JOB. And of course promotions as long as they merely show up for work.

Basically it works like "You are African American? Have a degree? No criminal record? Hired!" Meanwhile I graduated with honors, was turned down for many jobs, and also told I benefit from "White privilege"

Edited by calazhage
Pink Cupcakes

Well it's usually apparent if a person is of color. I am clear to state usually. At a job interview it's not like someone is going to be asked "what is your sexual preference" and you can always make assumptions based on appearance but it isn't a hiring factor as it is for your boss in human resources who wants minorities.

Gender, sexuality, age, religion, ethnicity, disability - all areas where potential employers may prosecuted for discrimination amd may therefore be monitoring/targeting.

TwinkletOes26
Well, being a white male I MUST compete with EVERYONE based solely on MERIT.. That means against Asians, other whites, Jews, women, African Americans etc.

Companies in my area try to reflect the cultural make up of the city.

Hmmm..

So considering 50% of African Americans drop out of high school, about 25% of males 21-30 are in one form of the correctional system, and maybe only 15% even graduate college, they are GUARANTEED A JOB. And of course promotions as long as they merely show up for work.

Basically it works like "You are African American? Have a degree? No criminal record? Hired!" Meanwhile I graduated with honors, was turned down for many jobs, and also told I benefit from "White privilege"

Really well in that case I should have people lining up to hire me....

anyways statistics can and often are manipulated to fit an agenda what ever the agenda may be. Taking several courses on how to interpret data and how studies come up with those numbers makes me leary of stats mostly. I know i said earlier that stats show that those with white sounding names get called back 50% more than those with ethnic sounding names but I even question that stat...like what region did they do the study...how did they decicde what names to pick,what were the variables....for instance if a hr manager is busy they may look over someone named shonnnanah simply bc it takes to long to figure out how to pronounce vs someones name like keisha which is ethnic but is common place now a days....anywho done rambling.

TwinkletOes26
Well it's usually apparent if a person is of color. I am clear to state usually. At a job interview it's not like someone is going to be asked "what is your sexual preference" and you can always make assumptions based on appearance but it isn't a hiring factor as it is for your boss in human resources who wants minorities.

true but if we lived in a society where people are taught that race/gender doesnt matter things like affirmative action wouldnt be needed. To me this is just a symptom of a sickness in our society that no one wants to fix. Yes on the outside people say "racism is wrong" but when policies get made and certain traits are associated with a persons race it causes a problem.

People say obama getting elected has changed things when it hasnt changed a thing. Its just now people use that s a scape goat "well a minority is president so race doesnt matter". Obama just happens to have prestige of going to a ivy league school,and plenty of yrs to prove himself capable. Sadly you dont get yrs to prove the covert prejudices wrong that a hiring manager may have.

Now I am not implying that all hiring managers have prejudice against minorities/women but sadly some do. I was complementing dlish she wanted to pick a person based on skill not race and even though the person she wanted was the same race as her it did not matter. She based her desire on skills....its sad that she was forced to pick to fill a quota. Im saying I agree with her on this one.