Social and status and money on a guy

skydiveaddict

I've had plenty of problems with my Acuras.. I had an Integra that needed its transmission replaced within the first year of me getting it new..

So why then a TL? Why not a TSX?

Was it a stick or an automatic? Maybe you ride the clutch... :p

There's certainly more bang for the buck cars out there, even for new cars.. The Chevy Cobalt SS, the Subaru WRX, are all much cheaper and have similar or even better acceleration than the BMW. Some of the cheaper cars are the best handling cars out there. But they don't have the BMW label...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0803_2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss_first_drive/index.html

Drive these cars and then drive the 135i or 330i. Just do it and you'll be able to feel the difference. It's staggering if you honestly enjoy the driving experience. Status is less important than the driving experience.

Was it a stick or an automatic? Maybe you ride the clutch... :p

Stick, and I'm am very good driver, had nothing to do with my driving. The transmission needed replacing in 1994, and the car was a 1994.. Under warranty.. I actually had plenty of problems with that car before it was stolen.

Drive these cars and then drive the 135i or 330i. Just do it and you'll be able to feel the difference. It's staggering if you honestly enjoy the driving experience. Status is less important than the driving experience.

I'm sure the 335 and the 135 are fun to drive, but they are not $15-$20,000 more worth of fun. You're paying for the status of the BMW label, otherwise a Cobalt SS would be "good enough" given you are saving so much money.

A man's wealth means nothing to me nor does his social status. I like people for who they are, not what they have.

and then...

I am currently with a guy that has money and lots of social status.

:lmao:

the Subaru WRX

This car will sh*t on any BMW of even well over double it's price in all aspects of performance.

BMW's are definitely not good value in terms of performance and break down much more than Jap cars in this day and age.

Only Audis are less reliable than a BMW and are also an even bigger waste of money.

People that buy BMW's do so purely to show off that they own one.

If you want a European car that gives serious performance, enough to rival Japanese models then you need to buy something much pricier than a BMW!

But then if you want real bang for buck buy a motorbike! My $17 000 ZX-10 will run rings around every single BMW ever invented :D

OP asking this question on this board is equivalent to a missionary asking recently converted cannibals if they enjoy eating human flesh.

one of the more meaningful replies to this topic :cool:

I'm sure the 335 and the 135 are fun to drive, but they are not $15-$20,000 more worth of fun. You're paying for the status of the BMW label, otherwise a Cobalt SS would be "good enough" given you are saving so much money.
I beg to differ. Nothing replaces driving experience for so little money. If you note within your article that the Cobalt doesn't even match up to the Civic SI or Mazda 3, for suspension and handling, it becomes an apples to oranges comparison, rather than a status symbol difference. If you're concerned about the difference in price, just buy a low mileage BMW, with a couple of years on her. It will be a far better car, for holding its value if for nothing else, than any domestic car like the Cobalt.
I beg to differ. Nothing replaces driving experience for so little money. If you note within your article that the Cobalt doesn't even match up to the Civic SI or Mazda 3, for suspension and handling, it becomes an apples to oranges comparison, rather than a status symbol difference. If you're concerned about the difference in price, just buy a low mileage BMW, with a couple of years on her. It will be a far better car, for holding its value if for nothing else, than any domestic car like the Cobalt.

That was just one example. There are plenty of other cheaper cars that handle really well and accellerate very quickly.... People just want the BMW for the status.

Honestly, answer, if you could get the BMW 335, but in the body of a Chevy Malibu, exact same performance, would you?

If they sold generic cars, would you buy the generic 335 that didn't have the BMW label on it?

That's kinda like asking someone if they would pay $100 for a polo shirt that didn't have the polo symbol on the front of it. They wouldn't because they pay the extra money for that horse... It's made in the same sweatshop that the $20 izod shirt is made in.

That was just one example. There are plenty of other cheaper cars that handle really well and accellerate very quickly.... People just want the BMW for the status.

Honestly, answer, if you could get the BMW 335, but in the body of a Chevy Malibu, exact same performance, would you?

If they sold generic cars, would you buy the generic 335 that didn't have the BMW label on it?

That's kinda like asking someone if they would pay $100 for a polo shirt that didn't have the polo symbol on the front of it. They wouldn't because they pay the extra money for that horse... It's made in the same sweatshop that the $20 izod shirt is made in.

If you can get the exact same performance, handling, suspension, comfort and looks, in a Chevy Malibu, I would buy it, without batting an eye.

Btw, you do realize that the 335 twin turbo engine is the one they shoe-horned into the 135, don't you?

Edited by threebyfate
I've had plenty of problems with my Acuras.. I had an Integra that needed its transmission replaced within the first year of me getting it new..

So why then a TL? Why not a TSX?

TSX was a bit too small for me and not enough power. I also love the interior of the TL. I like the exterior look of the TL as well vs the TSX.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your Integra.

I just went with a simple 2007 Acura TL. For the money, it has all the accessories, best bang for your buck

Acura TL = ultimate poser car for people who can't afford a real luxury car. Same car as Honda Accord, but you pay more for the 'prestige' badge.

But if Performance is all you want, then you could have gotten a Mustang for a lot cheaper. They buy it for the label, the BMW label.. Sure, I like the engine of that car, but I wouldn't pay that much for one when there are cars that perform just as well for much less money..

Can't really compare a Mustang to a BMW. Ford's build quality is crap, the interior is cheap as hell, and it doesn't handle like a BMW.

This car will sh*t on any BMW of even well over double it's price in all aspects of performance.

The 135i would destroy the regular WRX and match WRX STI's numbers. And guess

what - the 135i actually costs less than the STI.

The only people who bash BMWs are the ones who can't afford one.

Proof it's about status then.

And if the STI costs more than the BMW, how can an STI owner who bashes a BMW not be able to afford a BMW?

BMW drivers drive them because they are status symbols.

If you can get the exact same performance, handling, suspension, comfort and looks, in a Chevy Malibu, I would buy it, without batting an eye.

Btw, you do realize that the 335 twin turbo engine is the one they shoe-horned into the 135, don't you?

Yes. And the 1 series is for insecure people who cannot afford the 3 series version, but want to be seen in a BMW.

It really has been apples to oranges comparisons, within this thread.

As for being able to afford one or not, most people can afford a BMW, since you don't have to buy one new. But if you can't do any of your own maintenance, it can be more costly to have it serviced. That's pretty much the only drawback that I can think of.

It's a form of reverse discrimination/intimidation, with a form of preemptive rejection, without doing their homework on what makes or breaks a vehicle. On the otherhand, not everyone enjoys the driving experience, where they perceive that vehicles are only to get them from Point A to B. As well, you'll find individuals who are loyal to the domestic experience, which is fine, as long as they don't try to compare an apple to an orange and consider it a valid argument.

Yes. And the 1 series is for insecure people who cannot afford the 3-series version, but want to be seen in a BMW.
Now you're being silly. There's nothing wrong with the 1 series beyond IMO, that they pall in looks and the suspension and handling is a little less, than the 3-series. For someone who's concerned with the cost of vehicles, the 1-series is far more bang for the buck, than the 3-series, if you're solely looking for the driving experience.
Proof it's about status then.

Is eating fillet mignon all about status considering that a big mac is equally filling? What about going on vacation to the French Riviera, as opposed to an all inclusive resort in Mexico or the Dominican Republic?

What about dating good-looking girls? It must be all about status because average and ugly girls can f#ck and give birth to babies just as well.

The bottom line is that you pay more for a superior product. Sure, some people will buy a BMW simply because of the badge, but that doesn't change the fact that BMW is objectively superior to Subaru and Chevrolet.

And if the STI costs more than the BMW, how can an STI owner who bashes a BMW not be able to afford a BMW?

People who actually own STI's don't bash BMW's.

Acura TL = ultimate poser car for people who can't afford a real luxury car. Same car as Honda Accord, but you pay more for the 'prestige' badge.

So what do you consider a real luxury car? BMW 5 series? or BMW 3 series? Last time I checked TL costs more than the BMW 328i. But i guess it all depends on what you call luxury.

So if I can afford a TL i can afford BMW 328i. Therefore your argument is void.

Unless the 328 is not a real luxury car, then ok, you're right.

Edited by Pizzaman81

I guess I'm on the bottom of the social status and money for a guy. I went for utility and bang for the buck versus European Delivery. :(

So what do you consider a real luxury car? BMW 5 series? or BMW 3 series? Last time I checked TL costs more than the BMW 328i. But i guess it all depends on what you call luxury.

So if I can afford a TL i can afford BMW 328i. Therefore your argument is void.

Unless the 328 is not a real luxury car, then ok, you're right.

The 3 series is not a luxury.....not in North America anyway. It's a sporty sedan/coupe. Luxury car is 5-series/E-Class/A6 and up.