Social and status and money on a guy

skydiveaddict

First, you cannot expect honest answers to a question like this.

Secondly, many women are CLUELESS when it comes to what people actually earn.

I have had several single female friends in their late 20's who felt 100k was an "Average income", so any dateable man should make at least that..:rolleyes:.. In their "womanese" style of thinking they justified this as an avg income, so they did not think of themselves as concerned about money.

The truth is if this woman was lucky enough to find this man, and he was straight and he liked her, and he was not the ugliest man on the planet, all of his traits would be twisted to appear to be positive.

That is interesting observation :)

By status I mean, a man who's confident, dominant (not controling), having lots of friends & influence. By social status I mean to be an authority figure as well.

Being confident, dominant (not controling), and having a lot of friends and influence does not guarantee one true love. Ture love doesn't care about any of those things.

Poor dear, you do not even know what you are looking from a man as a woman :) That's a shame :D

No, darling you are wrong. I got what I wanted in my husband and am married to my soul mate. Are you married?

Money is not the real thing, money is something external and tangible. Is that something to do with happiness, love ect. ? No!

I agree with you on this point. Why do you feel you have to tell me this?

I know very rich and yet unhappy people, their relationships sucks![/
QUOTE]

So do I. What are you talking about?

Every time I see a low end BMW, like a 1 series, I see a woman driving it. Every time I see a more expensive BMW, I see a female passenger.

I think there are tons of women that just want to be seen in a BMW. Some, the desperate to show status, get a 1 series, the bottom of the line BMW. And there are tons of women who date guys who drive BMWs, just to be seen in it. It says "hey, i have a high status boyfriend"...

The same with women's obsession with the size of a diamond ring..They want to show off to friends what they landed.

True. Cars, houses, diamonds, handbags, shoes, are all female status symbols. When they're younger, it's the ipod that's a status symbol for them.

Awesome Username

I value the ability to save and invest money for future financial security rather than having luxuries. Luxuries can be and often are a shell of fake happiness. I know a good amount of young millionaires who burn through money like it will always be there. In the end, they'll run out of it and still have the flashy playboy mentality. Nine times out of ten, millionaire flashiness turns into financial ruin years down the road. This would not be the kind of thing that I would look for in a man.

A man who makes less than a crazy amount, but still enough to have a secure family life down the road and has a good set of morals is a much better bet. If he's not bringing in enough for a family now, then he has reachable goals that will allow him to do it later.

I certainly do not think that this is too much to ask for as a woman, if you want a family someday and you want the option of raising your young children at home for a few years. I'm not sure if I'll ever find a guy who 1. fits the description and 2. is okay with me staying home and raising our son/daughter for a few years, but one can certainly hope! :)

Every time I see a low end BMW, like a 1 series, I see a woman driving it. Every time I see a more expensive BMW, I see a female passenger.

I am one of few people that thinks those cars are too plain, but you are right. around here, the bigger and shinier the rims are on a guy's car, the more chicks he gets. I don't understand it. These guys are dumb as dirt but manage to pick up chicks. They live with one woman taking care of them and take money from another chick so that they can give it to other women.:confused:

When I am ready to settle down, I want a man that can meet me half way. He has to be independent and able to take care of himself. If we manage to have children, I need him to help take care of the kids and be a great father. He has to be able to set a good example. If he gets fired or loses his job, that is fine as long as he still manages to be helpful. I am a practical woman and would never want more than I can afford.

I think there are tons of women that just want to be seen in a BMW. Some, the desperate to show status, get a 1 series, the bottom of the line BMW. And there are tons of women who date guys who drive BMWs, just to be seen in it. It says "hey, i have a high status boyfriend"...

If you're seeing women in 135s, those are the brightest women of all. It seriously packs a punch, with twin turbos pushing out 300 numbers in both horsepower and torque, with an I6 engine. And all this for a pittance of cash. It's too bad it's an ugly car but bang for the buck, it's worth it, in both power and classic BMW suspension and handling.
If you're seeing women in 135s, those are the brightest women of all. It seriously packs a punch, with twin turbos pushing out 300 numbers in both horsepower and torque, with an I6 engine. And all this for a pittance of cash. It's too bad it's an ugly car but bang for the buck, it's worth it, in both power and classic BMW suspension and handling.

I just went with a simple 2007 Acura TL. For the money, it has all the accessories, best bang for your buck

But if Performance is all you want, then you could have gotten a Mustang for a lot cheaper. They buy it for the label, the BMW label.. Sure, I like the engine of that car, but I wouldn't pay that much for one when there are cars that perform just as well for much less money..

Go back in time. How would you describe someone in the US who bought a BMW 318ti?

I've been in Europe, and I've rented cars, and one timw I got a BMW 318. But it was a european version, didn't even have leather seats... So it's less of a status thing there, unlike here, where all of the version are the "luxury" versions. In Europe, you can get a Mercedes with cloth seats and a manual transmission.

I just went with a simple 2007 Acura TL. For the money, it has all the accessories, best bang for your buck

But why that and not say a chevy Malibu?

There's nothing wrong with Accuras but if you have the chance, take one of the smaller 1 or 3-series BMWs for a drive in a parking lot that has a spiral exit. Hammer it down the spiral exit. Do the same with an Accura and you'll feel the difference in responsiveness and suspension. Add in a couple of basic frame rigidity bolt-ons like sway and strut bars and a BMW will literally turn on a dime!

As for the social status associated to BMWs, bang for the buck for 1 and 3-series, trumps anything to do with social status.

But if Performance is all you want, then you could have gotten a Mustang for a lot cheaper. They buy it for the label, the BMW label.. Sure, I like the engine of that car, but I wouldn't pay that much for one when there are cars that perform just as well for much less money..

Go back in time. How would you describe someone in the US who bought a BMW 318ti?

I've been in Europe, and I've rented cars, and one timw I got a BMW 318. But it was a european version, didn't even have leather seats... So it's less of a status thing there, unlike here, where all of the version are the "luxury" versions. In Europe, you can get a Mercedes with cloth seats and a manual transmission.

A mustang drives like a boat, compared to the BMW. Also, the numbers are meaningless if you can't put that power to ground, in an effective way. BMWs are a combination of power, suspension and handling, including looks and comfort, all for not much money, on the scale of things.

As for the 318, that's a very small engine size. What were the European specs attached to it? What's made for European consumption and North American consumption, are different cars.

A mustang drives like a boat, compared to the BMW. Also, the numbers are meaningless if you can't put that power to ground, in an effective way. BMWs are a combination of power, suspension and handling, including looks and comfort, all for not much money, on the scale of things.

As for the 318, that's a very small engine size. What were the European specs attached to it? What's made for European consumption and North American consumption, are different cars.

Isn't a BMW a front wheel drive car? I'd take that any day over the rear wheel drive Mustang.

Isn't a BMW a front wheel drive car? I'd take that any day over the rear wheel drive Mustang.
No, they're RWD, which is more power efficient. Pushing any object v. dragging objects, uses less power.

Edit: There are all wheel drive versions though, but they're heavier, so are a greater power drain.

No, they're RWD, which is more power efficient. Pushing any object v. dragging objects, uses less power.

Edit: There are all wheel drive versions though, but they're heavier, so are a greater power drain.

Living where I live, front wheel drive is a MUST! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear_wheel_drive#Rear_wheel_drive_layouts

I believe you actually lose a bit of power with RWD since it requires a longer driveshaft (but that of course varies from car to car.) Luxury cars tend to use RWD because of the better weight distribution, better traction for the drive wheels, and no torque steer.

lol this thread went off topic (well, quicker than most others lol)
No, it's not off-topic, since the assumption by betamanlet, is that women drive BMWs, solely for status. This isn't true for every woman, just like it's not true for all men. There are other reasons why people drive BMWs.

Living where I live, front wheel drive is a MUST! :)
That's why there's an AWD version. It's indicated by the "X", at the end of the name, like 330ix.

When it snowed like mad in the winter of 2008, I had problems with bottoming out and getting hung up, rather than the actual driving in the snow, since my car is dropped by 1.1". RWD is easy to control in the snow, once you get used to steering into the skid and not overcompensating for it or over-gassing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear_wheel_drive#Rear_wheel_drive_layouts

I believe you actually lose a bit of power with RWD since it requires a longer driveshaft (but that of course varies from car to car.) Luxury cars tend to use RWD because of the better weight distribution, better traction for the drive wheels, and no torque steer.

Putting power to ground is more important than anything...period. That's what I call the most efficient usage of power.

Now RWD v. FWD has no impact on social status and attraction for most women, unless you're into cars. But if someone feels this does have impact on female attraction, plse feel free to correct me.

There's certainly more bang for the buck cars out there, even for new cars.. The Chevy Cobalt SS, the Subaru WRX, are all much cheaper and have similar or even better acceleration than the BMW. Some of the cheaper cars are the best handling cars out there. But they don't have the BMW label...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0803_2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss_first_drive/index.html

Edited by betamanlet
But why that and not say a chevy Malibu?

Because Acuras are made by Honda and they are one of the most reliable cars out there.

Because Acuras are made by Honda and they are one of the most reliable cars out there.

I've had plenty of problems with my Acuras.. I had an Integra that needed its transmission replaced within the first year of me getting it new..

So why then a TL? Why not a TSX?