Hiring someone who has been fired?

Yea, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I really DO think it doesn't help that I was fired and my employer is not saying good things about me. The truth doesn't sound good in an interview, other explanations don't sound good. So as I've said, I don't know what to say to justify it. I know that people get hired after getting fired. Maybe it's because they know the exact reason and can explain it better? That's where I have trouble?

They are not supposed to say anything that will prevent you from getting a job.

You can use that to your favor and tell them that you needed time to plan the wedding, study something you are into, whatever.

They have no idea, and you don't have to explain yourself to them.

They should be glad you are even going there to an interview, and they should be glad to be getting someone with a Masters.

Plus, you are a pretty young girl, and that helps too since you have a nice appearance.

Good luck!

• Author
Based on that logic, no one should be here. :) We all should be the most educated regarding our own life.

Personally asking for feedback on LS is a good way to get diverse opinions...as seen on this thread.

But as you said, fired people CAN get rehired. The question for anyone who is being interviewed multiple times with no job offers is....why?

Usually it is the presentation of ourselves rather than our past history. As someone who has conducted many interviews, I know I am also one who comes off poorly when interviewed. Knowing too much of what is being asked for what reasons keeps me second guessing answers. In this case ignorance CAN be bliss IMO.

I know for you, LB, you would like to give the thread a rest, so I will make only this additional comment...I think you are very rehirable and I think that your past is an albatross which keeps you from relaxing and being your true self.

Just my 2c.

I want to give it a rest so I dont start getting defensive..because I know I do that and it's one of my faults. I'm sensitive.

Anyway, But some good came out of it (not exactly the firing) but know I know what mistakes NOT to ever make again and to not be so niave about employers saying my job is safe. I have learned a lot of lessons from this.

That may be a good thing to say in an interview, that I made some mistakes and tried to improve but it just might have been too late. But I learned and know that I will never make those same mistakes every again and have learned a really important lesson.

How does that sound?

(Oh yeah, and tell them that you loved your previous job, that it was "wonderful" and just try and remember a wonderful memory with a patient).

(Oh, and "only" give them the phone number of a friend that is going to give good references. Other than that, the headquarters).

• Author
They are not supposed to say anything that will prevent you from getting a job.

They are saying that my reason for leaving was that I didn't meet their standards. And that they wouldn't rehire me. So I'm sure that isn't exactly helping me win job offers. (I had someone call them to see what they would say...)

Oh, and some social service agencies also have disclamiers they have you sign saying that you are releasing employers to say things without legal consequences or something like that. I doubt my employer would still take that chance but I know they are saying I was fired (without ACTUALLY saying it).

I don't think I ever said I don't accept responsibilty. I know I made mistakes, I know they had reason to put me back on probation and fire me at the end. It was my first job, I suppose I just wish they would have just given me another chance. If you make mistakes they fire you though, they don't give second chances. So I admit I was niave to think they would.

1. I've NEVER seen you say that they had reason to fire you. EVER. In fact, you repeatedly have said otherwise... that you didn't think they had reason to fire you, that it was wrong, that they were unprofessional in terminating you, and so on and so forth, and that no matter what anyone said, you weren't going to change your mind about it. That's quite a change of position... and it's a good one to see!! :bunny:

2. As I recall, this wasn't your first job in your field. Was it? Although, I'm not sure that really matters. Whether you have no experience, or tons of experience, if you don't meet their standards, you don't meet their standards.

3. They did give you a second chance. That's what probation was. They had the option of not putting you on probation at all, and just terminating you.

Based on that logic, no one should be here. :)

That's faulty logic. Most people are here for relationship problems, and aren't marriage counselors. See the difference? Wouldn't you agree that a COUNSELOR should be self-reflective enough to have some understanding of why she was terminated?

But as you said:

We all should be the most educated regarding our own life.

Duh, that's absolutely true. Only you know your own truth, if you're willing to admit to it.

They are saying that my reason for leaving was that I didn't meet their standards. And that they wouldn't rehire me. So I'm sure that isn't exactly helping me win job offers. (I had someone call them to see what they would say...)

Oh, and some social service agencies also have disclamiers they have you sign saying that you are releasing employers to say things without legal consequences or something like that. I doubt my employer would still take that chance but I know they are saying I was fired (without ACTUALLY saying it).

Don't give the phone number of those people then.

And they are legally not supposed to say that, so they can get sued.

You can even say that you wanted to start your own practice and took some private patients and list some of your friends that you helped.

There is a million things.

Even your mother that was having trouble..

You can say that you took your practice to help someone close that really needed your expertise and time.

(Because it's something that you can do even now).

• Author
1. I've NEVER seen you say that they had reason to fire you. EVER. In fact, you repeatedly have said otherwise... that you didn't think they had reason to fire you, that it was wrong, that they were unprofessional in terminating you, and so on and so forth, and that no matter what anyone said, you weren't going to change your mind about it. That's quite a change of position... and it's a good one to see!! :bunny:

Well, I've had some time to reflect on it, I was extremely angry and hurt for awhile (normal after being terminated). They had reasons they put me back on probation, even though they were minor. And even though I made improvement (and was told I was) they still fired me. That's what I feel the unfair part was. That I improved and it still didn't matter. But they have the right to do that and their isn't anything I can do about it. Blaming them and being angry isn't helping me right now so I have to get over it.

I tell you what....

You can even make a case with your mother.

You can write a paper with the main elements of her condition, show them in a structured way, you don't even have to say that it's your mother, it can be a relative. Present evaluations from doctors, reports..

And tell them that you are spending half your time with this person, what your approach is, and the positive results that you are finding.

But that now that person fortunatelly is feeling better... etc.

• Author
Even your mother that was having trouble.

Yeah I have said that, not in so many words. But that a family member was having problems and it caused me some distraction. (which is true!)

I've said so many different things and none of them have worked.

I want to give it a rest so I dont start getting defensive..because I know I do that and it's one of my faults. I'm sensitive.

Don't start a fight with me about what I'm about to say, okay? :)

Do you think THAT may be one of the reasons they terminated you? I'm not sure being overly defensive and sensitive is a positive quality to have when treating people who are addicted, and who are likely angry, withdrawing, prone-to-make-personal attacks...

See what I mean? Some professions require a thick skin. Granted, being a counselor requires a strong level of empathy and understanding and whatnot, but at the same time, ya gotta have thick skin. Professional growth comes from criticism and critique, and without thick skin, you'll only flail.

Do these companies exist? Seriously, like 12 interviews and nada? They like me until the middle I tell them I got let go. And I do into the whole speel about how I learned something from it. What the heck?

I actually took Tadxxx off my resume to apply to a few places, but have not heard back. (because it looks like I have no post masters experience now!) I don't know if that was a good move, but honestly nobody will hire me because of them. What am I supposed to do here? I'm ready to give up hope, seriously. Fiance told me he talked to a hiring manager at his company and he said that they would NEVER consider hiring anyone who disclosed they got terminated. AHHH!!!

Help?

I got let go from my last job and it wasn't an issue for other jobs at all. It's all about how you position it. For me, this is the word track I used.

"Well I started at ______ about September of 08, shortly before the economic downturn really hit hard. The company downsized a bit and since I was the new guy, you can imagine how that turned out. So here I am. :)"

Most people can easily relate to that.

laRubiaBonita

That may be a good thing to say in an interview, that I made some mistakes and tried to improve but it just might have been too late. But I learned and know that I will never make those same mistakes every again and have learned a really important lesson.

How does that sound?

i would just confirm i worked at the place, for the time stated.... if they ask why i left, i would infer something about the job's work place culture was not to my liking. and then go directly into the positive aspects of that job.

i think since this one job was directly related to your degree it is important to show that you have held a position as a counselor- so you are not totally green.

honestly though- there really are not that many awesome jobs that are hiring though... it really is a lottery right now.

Yeah I have said that, not in so many words. But that a family member was having problems and it caused me some distraction. (which is true!)

I've said so many different things and none of them have worked.

Well, good luck.

Btw, I don't think you did anything wrong in your previous job.

Those people didn't like you very much and wanted to get rid of you by finding any excuse they could get a hold onto.

If you put the coffee cup on the table, they'd have fired you for not taking good care of the furniture.

• Author
Do you think THAT may be one of the reasons they terminated you? I'm not sure being overly defensive and sensitive is a positive quality to have when treating people who are addicted, and who are likely angry, withdrawing, prone-to-make-personal attacks...

See what I mean? Some professions require a thick skin. Granted, being a counselor requires a strong level of empathy and understanding and whatnot, but at the same time, ya gotta have thick skin. Professional growth comes from criticism and critique, and without thick skin, you'll only flail.

On my 3 month evaluation my supervisor wrote that I had been getting defensive when given feedback. So after that I really started to improve on that and tried not to get upset. I would say "hm, okay. How could I have done that differently?"

Then on my 6 month evaluation (which was positively glowing!) it said how I had improved upon that and sought supervisor feedback on are regular basis and benefited from it. I was never given any negative feedback regarding that ever again, even when I was put back on probataion.

• Author
I got let go from my last job and it wasn't an issue for other jobs at all. It's all about how you position it. For me, this is the word track I used.

"Well I started at ______ about September of 08, shortly before the economic downturn really hit hard. The company downsized a bit and since I was the new guy, you can imagine how that turned out. So here I am. :)"

Most people can easily relate to that.

Right, except I wasn't downsized...:( So it's a little different.

• Author
i would just confirm i worked at the place, for the time stated.... if they ask why i left, i would infer something about the job's work place culture was not to my liking. and then go directly into the positive aspects of that job.

i think since this one job was directly related to your degree it is important to show that you have held a position as a counselor- so you are not totally green.

honestly though- there really are not that many awesome jobs that are hiring though... it really is a lottery right now.

Yep, I have said something like that before. HOWEVER that makes it sound like I quit. And when they call my work they will find out I didn't...

• Author
Well, good luck.

Btw, I don't think you did anything wrong in your previous job.

Those people didn't like you very much and wanted to get rid of you by finding any excuse they could get a hold onto.

If you put the coffee cup on the table, they'd have fired you for not taking good care of the furniture.

I had a file sitting on my printer and my supervisor said my office was "very disorganized." I actually kept my office spotless! But I started putting all my files in my drawers and put them back as soon as I didn't need them anymore.

Then they found other things. (like I was 2 minutes late so I was developing a pattern of tardiness.)

I had a file sitting on my printer and my supervisor said my office was "very disorganized." I actually kept my office spotless! But I started putting all my files in my drawers and put them back as soon as I didn't need them anymore.

Then they found other things. (like I was 2 minutes late so I was developing a pattern of tardiness.)

Just forget that other job.

Get on the horse again, you are a Psychologist not a puppet of those people.

When you go to an interview just convey: that you are serious, and that you know your stuff.

If you do that you are in. And if you are nice, have a nice personality, are pretty, those are all pluses.

Right, except I wasn't downsized...:( So it's a little different.

It isn't different..

This is exactly how you should spin it.. it shouldn't matter that you were fired if you spin it to look like they fired you instead of laying you off.. that by the way is cheaper for the company as unemployment benefits don't normally get paid out and the company saves in that form.

You don't have to lie.. just position your words so that the EXACT reason is left up for interpretation by the interviewer

• Author
It isn't different..

This is exactly how you should spin it.. it shouldn't matter that you were fired if you spin it to look like they fired you instead of laying you off.. that by the way is cheaper for the company as unemployment benefits don't normally get paid out and the company saves in that form.

You don't have to lie.. just position your words so that the EXACT reason is left up for interpretation by the interviewer

Luckily I was awarded unemployment, as my company couldn't prove to the PA Labor Industry that they gave me ample warning that I was going to be terminated.

Anyway, do you have a suggestion as to wording? That's really what I'm struggling with, HOW to say it.

Okay you guys : Isn't that illegal to say what the employer just said as above ? Or correct me what they can and can't say ?

What about the company you hire who calls your employer just to SEE what they are saying about you ?

• Author
Okay you guys : Isn't that illegal to say what the employer just said as above ? Or correct me what they can and can't say ?

What about the company you hire who calls your employer just to SEE what they are saying about you ?

My dad who works in HR told me that legally they can get away with saying that kind of thing as long as they don't disclose directly that I was fired. IMO they are still saying I was fired though...

I'm not sure what you mean by the second question. I didn't hire a company to call my past employer, I just had someone I know do it and pretend to be a potential employer.

My dad who works in HR told me that legally they can get away with saying that kind of thing as long as they don't disclose directly that I was fired. IMO they are still saying I was fired though...

I'm not sure what you mean by the second question. I didn't hire a company to call my past employer, I just had someone I know do it and pretend to be a potential employer.

What I mean was you can hire a company called Rehire.com ( or something like that ) and they call your employer pretending to be a prospective employer and they document what the company says about you. Some of it may be illegal....( I dont know the laws , perhaps some here who hire or work for HR can elaborate ? )