Hiring someone who has been fired?

You seem to be missing my point. Those are things I was put on probation for. BUT I fixed them ALL and was given good feedback. So I'm unsure why I was STILL fired 4 months after they had told me about these things and after I had fixed them (which they said they noticed). This is what I do not understand. But I actually did learn from them and will NOT be doing any of them at my next job. I have said this at interviews, that I have made mistakes as a new counselor but learned.

Yeah, but I'm wondering how you're really describing it in the interviews. Are you just glossing over it without apparent contrition, or do you really come across as someone who is taking a good, hard look at their own conduct and trying to learn from it?

The next time the subject comes up, maybe you could just try the brutally honest approach. When the interviewer asks you why you got terminated, maybe tell them that you didn't take the job as seriously as you should have, and that you probably deserved to be fired. Tell them that you naively expected that someone would tell you if you were going to be fired, and that you somehow didn't get the message...but you definitely get it now. Tell them that having been through this has given you time to think and to reflect on what makes a good employee. Do that very briefly, and then shift back to why you think you'd be a good employee. Say that you believe that you have the talent to do the job and that now you think you have more maturity to go along with that talent -- and then don't let that happen again once you're hired.

Maybe in other industries it can be found out that you did not put a job on your resume, but in social services it is rare. They do not have money or time to do extensive background checks.

You made a lot of bad assumptions at your last job and now you're making more bad assumptions before your next one. I think you need to clear your head of these false notions. More and more companies are doing all kinds of background checks -- the liability issues alone make them obligated to do so these days. You are way off the mark here.

Most require you to get 3 clearances and you have to get them/pay for them yourself. I left a job off my resume from college in which I worked as an assistant for 4 months. I quit the job but left it off my resume because it was short term and wasn't related to counseling. No employer that has hired me since has found out about the job or that I worked at it.

Your credit report probably has some of your employment history on it. If they run a credit report on you, they could find out some of your past employers.

Really, I get what you guys are saying but in today's economy I just don't think anybody is going to risk hiring someone who was fired. Maybe there is someone out there somewhere but I've already interviewed for 12 different companies and none have hired me. So that tells me something...

Employers want the same thing they've always wanted, which is good employees.

Do you have a suggestion on what to say?

I think I mentioned it in the post before this one: try the brutally honest approach.

Another problem might be that you need to be more strategic with your job hunting. For the jobs you've already applied to, I would stay in touch with them. Thank them for their time in an email or phone call and just ask if it's okay if you could check in once in a while. Maybe ask them if they would be willing to disclose why they didn't hire you and if there's something they would like to see in the future. The hiring process doesn't have to end with one interview.

For those you have yet to apply to, study them. Learn as much about them as possible. Go into the interview prepared. Get the past disappointments out of your head.

I am truly appalled that so many people in this thread is suggesting lying, either on your résumé or in the interview.

The crux of much of what goes on within the LoveShack Forum is how so many people here are having problems (infidelity, relationship-wise) is due to lies and deceit.

There can never be anything beneficial that comes out of perpetuating falsehood and how it can be condoned within this situation shocks me.

• Author

If you worked at a job for a month and got fired would you put it on your resume? Probably not. Or a job that's not relevant to your field? You are not required to put all of your jobs on a resume. All my jobs are not on resume and I have still gotten hired. I just don't agree with that.

Lying and saying that I still work there is NOT a good idea, I would never take that risk.

As far as the interview goes, you all might be right that I'm not getting hired because of how I'm talking about getting fired. But honestly, I just think that people don't want to take the risk of hiring someone who was fired over someone who wasn't. That's not an assumption just an opinion.

I'm taking everyone's input and advice believe me. This is a tough situation for me and I am unsure how to proceed.

Oh, and I have tried the brutul honestly approach. ("I deserved to get fired, ect.) I did expect to be notified that I was to get fired, but in my defense my employer TOLD me that would happen. They told me if I was in danger of being fired there would be memos and warnings telling me so. There weren't. I guess I was niave to believe them, knowing how unethical and unprofessional they are... (and they ARE, they have done this to many other people).

When you have an interview somewhere, ask your references to call them directly - get the card of the person who interviewed you, and pass his/her name and contact info onto your references/your professor and have him take the initiative to contact them and say how fantastic you are.

NewAGain you always give the BEST advice ! Glad to have you here to help us :)

I think I mentioned it in the post before this one: try the brutally honest approach.

Another problem might be that you need to be more strategic with your job hunting. For the jobs you've already applied to, I would stay in touch with them. Thank them for their time in an email or phone call and just ask if it's okay if you could check in once in a while. Maybe ask them if they would be willing to disclose why they didn't hire you and if there's something they would like to see in the future. The hiring process doesn't have to end with one interview.

For those you have yet to apply to, study them. Learn as much about them as possible. Go into the interview prepared. Get the past disappointments out of your head.

This is really great advice :) So if your prospective job never calls you back its okay to call them and ask how you could have done a better job at getting the position ? I love this :)

If you worked at a job for a month and got fired would you put it on your resume? Probably not. Or a job that's not relevant to your field? You are not required to put all of your jobs on a resume. All my jobs are not on resume and I have still gotten hired. I just don't agree with that.

Lying and saying that I still work there is NOT a good idea, I would never take that risk.

As far as the interview goes, you all might be right that I'm not getting hired because of how I'm talking about getting fired. But honestly, I just think that people don't want to take the risk of hiring someone who was fired over someone who wasn't. That's not an assumption just an opinion.

I'm taking everyone's input and advice believe me. This is a tough situation for me and I am unsure how to proceed.

Oh, and I have tried the brutul honestly approach. ("I deserved to get fired, ect.) I did expect to be notified that I was to get fired, but in my defense my employer TOLD me that would happen. They told me if I was in danger of being fired there would be memos and warnings telling me so. There weren't. I guess I was niave to believe them, knowing how unethical and unprofessional they are... (and they ARE, they have done this to many other people).

Maybe I am wrong on this but to say you Deserved to get fired....to the interviewer , well it just not sit well....I would say " I worked at XYZ and one day was told I was not compatible with where the company was going and they ended my services "

How does that sound :)

Maybe I am wrong on this but to say you Deserved to get fired....to the interviewer , well it just not sit well....I would say " I worked at XYZ and one day was told I was not compatible with where the company was going and they ended my services "

How does that sound :)

There's no single right way to address this. Some people might get spooked if they hear those words coming out of an interviewee's mouth, but others might like the direct approach. If it were me, I would feel better about being candid and forthright about the whole thing. I don't mean that she should be self-berating, but the way I see it, being fired can generally mean one of two things: it can be a sign of a bad employee who will only continue to produce bad results, or it can be a learning experience for an employee who has the potential to do great things in the future. In some situations, people can learn more from their failures than they can from their successes.

There's no single right way to address this. Some people might get spooked if they hear those words coming out of an interviewee's mouth, but others might like the direct approach. If it were me, I would feel better about being candid and forthright about the whole thing. I don't mean that she should be self-berating, but the way I see it, being fired can generally mean one of two things: it can be a sign of a bad employee who will only continue to produce bad results, or it can be a learning experience for an employee who has the potential to do great things in the future. In some situations, people can learn more from their failures than they can from their successes.

I realllly liked that one....I am a positive person so naturally that sounds better to me :)

SadandConfusedWA

In this economy noone is going to hire someone that got fired. Truth is brutal but there you go. Even in the better economy, your chances would be VERY slim. It is very naive to think that complete honesty is going to work here. Excpecially since LB refuses to face the truth of why she got fired herself. My opinion is that her performance wasn't good enough and her bosses wanted her gone, thus inventing reasons like clothes and being few minutes late.

Seriously, how good of a counseller do you think LB makes? Someone posted here how Masters degree in Europe takes 6 years. It was VERY obvious that the poster meant bachelors+masters and not the masters degree itself. Using just a bit of logic would tell you that in fact it is not possible for a masters degree to last 6 years full time ANYWHERE. Yet, LB said "wow 6 years in europe, must be tough!" or something along those lines. She just didn't get it at all. Would you really want to go to her for advice and help if you were a drug addict? Or trust her to sort out your problems when she obviously lacks simple logic? I cetainly wouldn't. Looks like her former bosses felt the same. Yet LB is refusing to look at the truth and is blaming others instead. What a sad situation.

In this economy noone is going to hire someone that got fired. Truth is brutal but there you go. Even in the better economy, your chances would be VERY slim.

Respectfully disagree.

Even checking the local sports section, we see coach after coach being fired. We then see within a week how they have a new team to coach. You would think with such a public job that they of all people would not get hired after being fired.

People get fired and rehired often. What is important is how they handle the firing and how they present themselves when interviewing for new jobs.

Is it easy? No.

I agree with JamesM.. it is done.. but it's harder... The person would need good communication skills, be well suited for the other job, etc.

I agree with Sad though... LB .. you come across, to me anyway, as being very insecure, very 'naive' in a way... not really 'suited' to be a counsellor... and methink your boss knew that..and he found a way to fire you.

You remind me of my son, in a way, he did 3 years in Social Work in College... and I knew all along that it wasn't for him.. but didn't want to rain on his 'dream'...(we argued about it... but he didn't want to do anything else.. so..) I knew that sooner or later he would find that out by himself.. He just doesn't have the personality for that kind of job.. he is extremeley introvert (I'm thinking he has Asperger's).. anyway... maybe you should find something in a totally different field.. you'll never be happy doing a job that is not for you..

I'm not saying that in a bad way... not all professions are cut out for everyone..

In this economy noone is going to hire someone that got fired. Truth is brutal but there you go. Even in the better economy, your chances would be VERY slim. It is very naive to think that complete honesty is going to work here. Excpecially since LB refuses to face the truth of why she got fired herself.

The odds are that no one is going to hire someone off the street who has yet to establish a solid track record. Employers are like investors: they have to hedge their bets. If someone doesn't have a proven track record, then hiring that person is a risky move. If they have a proven track record, it's less risky, although there is still risk that the person's good track record might not mean much in a different environment. What employers want, ideally, is to have someone within the company who already knows that person well enough to evaluate whether they would succeed or fail. Anything short of that is considered a greater risk by the hiring manager. The only thing that's different about now is the fact that there is a bigger supply of applicants coming in off the street.

The point of this is that the OP needs to change her approach. She needs to start networking and finding people who might be able to help her out. Of course, the more profound reality is that the OP also needs to think carefully about why she got fired and to correct her behavior. At some point, it doesn't matter how many people know or like you: you are who you are, and if you start developing a reputation for being a friendly slacker, you're really of no use to anyone.

I agree - if the field she's working in does background checks, and is concerned with meeting standards of professionalism, trust, responsibility, judgement, etc. then you're just tying off a rope that will eventually hang you. Leaving out a pertinent prior position is a serious enough concern, but actually misrepresenting something (like indicating you still work there so they won't check...) will just scream "bad judgement, do not trust" once it is found out - which there's a decent chance it will. Then things will be even worse.

LB's profession as a counselor necessarily involves standards of professionalism, trust, responsiblity, and judgment. By deleting her past employer from her resume, she's showing future employers that she has none of those qualities. :(

• Author
LB's profession as a counselor necessarily involves standards of professionalism, trust, responsiblity, and judgment. By deleting her past employer from her resume, she's showing future employers that she has none of those qualities. :(

Do you not like to read? Let it go please.

Perhaps it is the shock that as a counselor, we would expect many people to come to you with similar problems and would hope you would give them similarly sage, intelligent, and thoughtful advise.

Yet, as a PROFESSIONAL COUNSELOR (with all this training and supposed knowledge), you are having to come to an anonymous chat board to get advice about a problem that you, yourself, should be able to handle.

Maybe it *is* time to take a hard look at yourself and go back through your training to analyze WHY you are in this position.

I hadn't gotten to the end of the thread yet, LB.

Besides, the conversation is worthwhile to everyone participating. It doesn't end when you say so. :)

BACK ON TOPIC: Like James said, people get fired and rehired often. What is important is how they handle the firing and how they present themselves when interviewing for new jobs. If someone has been fired, and is repeatedly interviewing and not finding employment, the problem doesn't lie with the simple fact that they were terminated, but rather they clearly have a problem with they've dealt with that termination and how they've present themselves and the situation to the prospective employer.

• Author
Perhaps it is the shock that as a counselor, we would expect many people to come to you with similar problems and would hope you would give them similarly sage, intelligent, and thoughtful advise.

Yet, as a PROFESSIONAL COUNSELOR (with all this training and supposed knowledge), you are having to come to an anonymous chat board to get advice about a problem that you, yourself, should be able to handle.

Maybe it *is* time to take a hard look at yourself and go back through your training to analyze WHY you are in this position.

Counselors are supposed to solve their own issues all by their self and never ask for outside advice? That is a little rediculous....

Agreed.

It would be akin to me coming here and asking why I'm having legal trouble with XYZ. Wouldn't I be the best person to know? :confused:

Counselors are supposed to solve their own issues all by their self and never ask for outside advice? That is a little rediculous....

No, it isn't ridiculous. Counselors should know that their profession requires a level of self-introspection, but unfortunately you've demonstrated time and time again that you refuse to acknowledge ANY fault whatsoever in your termination. "It's just the way you feel, and nothing's going to change it, so there!"

That attitude, LB, will prevent you from EVER finding employment in your field. Really.

• Author
I hadn't gotten to the end of the thread yet, LB.

Besides, the conversation is worthwhile to everyone participating. It doesn't end when you say so. :)

BACK ON TOPIC: Like James said, people get fired and rehired often. What is important is how they handle the firing and how they present themselves when interviewing for new jobs. If someone has been fired, and is repeatedly interviewing and not finding employment, the problem doesn't lie with the simple fact that they were terminated, but rather they clearly have a problem with they've dealt with that termination and how they've present themselves and the situation to the prospective employer.

Yea, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I really DO think it doesn't help that I was fired and my employer is not saying good things about me. The truth doesn't sound good in an interview, other explanations don't sound good. So as I've said, I don't know what to say to justify it. I know that people get hired after getting fired. Maybe it's because they know the exact reason and can explain it better? That's where I have trouble?

• Author
No, it isn't ridiculous. Counselors should know that their profession requires a level of self-introspection, but unfortunately you've demonstrated time and time again that you refuse to acknowledge ANY fault whatsoever in your termination. "It's just the way you feel, and nothing's going to change it, so there!"

That attitude, LB, will prevent you from EVER finding employment in your field. Really.

I don't think I ever said I don't accept responsibilty. I know I made mistakes, I know they had reason to put me back on probation and fire me at the end. It was my first job, I suppose I just wish they would have just given me another chance. If you make mistakes they fire you though, they don't give second chances. So I admit I was niave to think they would.

Yeah, I've known some real productive and valuable people who have been fired over politics and personality clashes. Some have gone on to become competitors, starting their own businesses; others have gone to work for competitors. It's who they are which got them fired and it's who they are which got them hired. IMO, if you believe in yourself and what you have to offer and present it in a way that is meaningful, the right employer *for you* will see it and grab the asset they sense you to be. The ones who dismiss you merely for being fired aren't the right ones *for you*. :)

Agreed.

It would be akin to me coming here and asking why I'm having legal trouble with XYZ. Wouldn't I be the best person to know? :confused:

Based on that logic, no one should be here. :) We all should be the most educated regarding our own life.

Personally asking for feedback on LS is a good way to get diverse opinions...as seen on this thread.

But as you said, fired people CAN get rehired. The question for anyone who is being interviewed multiple times with no job offers is....why?

Usually it is the presentation of ourselves rather than our past history. As someone who has conducted many interviews, I know I am also one who comes off poorly when interviewed. Knowing too much of what is being asked for what reasons keeps me second guessing answers. In this case ignorance CAN be bliss IMO.

I know for you, LB, you would like to give the thread a rest, so I will make only this additional comment...I think you are very rehirable and I think that your past is an albatross which keeps you from relaxing and being your true self.

Just my 2c.