Tiffany or Cartier ring?

In terms of name value, Tiffany is a good brand since almost anyone is family with it. But based on the pictures, I think Cartier looks more simplistic and elegant.

And in response to people saying $10k is alot, based on the economy right now, it is alot. But since it's money Thom probably saved for a while now for this occasion, I'm certain he's willing to splurge a little. And given his occupation, $10k is pretty modest. At least to some people.

Heh, isn't the Tiffany ring box black?

yes but that then comes in a blue box.

My engagement ring is from Tiffanys but in your case I prefer the Cartier one.

I don't think anyone here should even be commenting on the price. That wasn't the OP's question, and he has been more than patient outlining his understanding of what he wants to spend.

He wants to by his girl something beautiful, something he can afford, and something with value. Some would say the Tiffany name (or Cartier name) has instrinsic value. A name sometimes is more than a name. If that's not your opionion, well, that's not what he's asking. ;)

thom, if you have any debt, including mortgage debt, and don't have a substantial nest egg, spending $10K unnecessarily, isn't the wisest course of action.

I do think your reasoning is sweet, to want to impress her. But you can also impress without the name.

I agree with this. I had a special savings account set aside to fund a ring purchase. In bitter irony, that same account, not fully depleted from the purchase, went on to fund part of our marriage counseling when our marriage broke down.

OP, I just saw an estate Cartier .5ct F/VS1 in .950 platinum on eBay for 2200USD, complete with original Cartier sales evaluation and box. It's the pave style. My stbx's wedding ring is an antique platinum eternity ring with pave diamonds. Looked awesome.

Also, if you're patient, really good travel deals can pop up for the period between Christmas and New Years. My stbx told me when we were dating that she'd rather go to Europe than have a big engagement ring. We never did make it to Europe (as a vacation) but I did take her to Oz a couple of times and to Asia. Even with the ending of our marriage, those memories and some of the friendships which came from those trips will be with me the rest of my life.

Make some time off from work/studies for this very important time in your life. Balance. A day will come for you when you will see clearly that priorities are not fixed and linear but rather coalescent and ever-changing.

Remember, don't break the bank, like TBF said, but rather balance practicality with what is in your heart. It sounds like your intended is a fortunate lady. Best wishes :)

Personally, neither. You're paying for a "brand name" vs. the ring itself. I like brand names as much as the next person, and I have no idea what your gf's style is like, but I think something antique or victorian is much more beautiful.

I think having top color, clarity, etc. and all of that is a bunch of hooha too.

LucreziaBorgia

A diamond shows its true worth when you try to sell it back in a lot of cases. It is astonishing how little you can get for it in comparison to what was paid for it.

Pink Cupcakes

I just googled both rings. I love the Cartier with the paving, it makes the ring more special.

both are fabulous rings, though.

By the way - your fiancee is one lucky woman! :love: You obviously love her very much.

Edited by Pink Cupcakes