Tiffany or Cartier ring?

Yeah the Tiffany in the photo is 1.2, the Cartier in the photos is 1.5

There is NO WAY the Tiffany picture is only 1.2. I call impossible. That looks like almost 2 carats to me.

1.5 on the Cartier seems about right for the first picture, but absolutely not the second. The second picture also looks like 2+ carats to me.

• Author
There is NO WAY the Tiffany picture is only 1.2. I call impossible. That looks like almost 2 carats to me.

1.5 on the Cartier seems about right for the first picture, but absolutely not the second. The second picture also looks like 2+ carats to me.

I double checked, it's 1.30 for the Tiffany and 1.54 for the Cartier. The two Cartier photos are from the same person. The Tiffany is on a small Asian hand.

I double checked, it's 1.30 for the Tiffany and 1.54 for the Cartier. The two Cartier photos are from the same person. The Tiffany is on a small Asian hand.

Clever photography then. :)

10k?!?!?! I just puked in my mouth a little.

I am SO with you on this one, jja470!

For %^&*'s sake there are starving/homeless people out there and you want to blow ten grand on a ring? Are you serious?!?!:rolleyes:

Okay, done. :laugh:

It's his money to decide what to spend on it. $10K on a ring is modest, IMO.

It's his money to decide what to spend on it. $10K on a ring is modest, IMO.

Never said it wasn't his money. Just throwing in my 2 cents, my friend.

If she's a simple and elegant person, the Cartier is the better pick, albeit a waste of money. Why not have one made exactly the same? You can do better than $10K by a long shot.

• Author
10k?!?!?! I just puked in my mouth a little.

I am SO with you on this one, jja470!

For %^&*'s sake there are starving/homeless people out there and you want to blow ten grand on a ring? Are you serious?!?!:rolleyes:

Okay, done. :laugh:

Look, she's a resident physician at an county hospital and actually works with homeless and uninsured patients on a daily basis for 80 hours a week with Q3 call on a $50k salary. So there's no need to get sanctimonious on us.

$10k like I said is 1/3rd of a new car. It is a lot of money for a symbol of my love, but for a once in a lifetime purchase, it is not that much. It's the difference between waiting this month to buy a house versus two months ago as home prices dropped in my area. It's the difference of getting an extra $2500 (tiny) annual scholarship for medical school or not. It's the difference between a 0.10% interest hike on your mortgage over the course of 30 years.

Edited by thom3

what if you picked out a really nice simple ring somewhere else for half the money and spent the other half on a really nice watch as a wedding gift for her?

what if you picked out a really nice simple ring somewhere else for half the money and spent the other half on a really nice watch as a wedding gift for her?
Yes, that's what my husband did. He bought my ring at a local designer's and then, with some of the savings, bought me a diamond bangle bracelet from Tiffany's.

but a watch is worn everyday... the additional buy of an expensive watch that shows her personality is well worth the money spent.

a diamond bracelet is usually worn for special occasions.

its his money! if he wants to spend 10k on a ring. let him! :)

dont make him feel guilty about homeless people, he worked for that money.

I'm still for the Cartier especially after seeing the pics!!

Look, she's a resident physician at an county hospital and actually works with homeless and uninsured patients on a daily basis for 80 hours a week with Q3 call on a $50k salary. So there's no need to get sanctimonious on us.

$10k like I said is 1/3rd of a new car. It is a lot of money for a symbol of my love, but for a once in a lifetime purchase, it is not that much. It's the difference between waiting this month to buy a house versus two months ago as home prices dropped in my area. It's the difference of getting an extra $2500 (tiny) annual scholarship for medical school or not. It's the difference between a 0.10% interest hike on your mortgage over the course of 30 years.

That's fantastic. Don't get so bent out of shape. You're on a public forum which means you're going to get loud mouth answers like mine.

Sheesh.

Buy the 10k ring. I'm sure she'll be overjoyed.

I wouldn't dream of posting the cost of my band and engagement ring, now!! ROLFMAO!! It apparently wouldn't go over well on this forum!!

$10k is modest and it sounds as though Thom has thought it out well. Good luck, and congratulations!! (I still like the paved solitaire though - I love the extra bling!)

I wouldn't dream of posting the cost of my band and engagement ring, now!! ROLFMAO!! It apparently wouldn't go over well on this forum!!

$10k is modest and it sounds as though Thom has thought it out well. Good luck, and congratulations!! (I still like the paved solitaire though - I love the extra bling!)

:rolleyes:

Edited by SophieA
because I don't want to get myself in trouble. haha
Sorry some people are giving you so much crap, OP.

Go with the Cartier. Love Carhill's idea...what a romantic!

To me, it's as much about the place as the ring. The juxtaposition of reserved styling, which apparently is congruent with the intended betrothed's personality, and the over-the-top romantic ambiance of Paris. A ring and a destination for which, if the marriage is one which endures, provides a continuity of connection to the beginning for many decades to come.

As far as modesty, the OP and his intended are either studying to be or are doctors, so I would see such an expenditure (the whole proposal process I outlined) as consistent with their lifestyle and social circle. Absolutely extravagant for someone like myself, but I'm not them. :)

• Author

Your idea is great Carhill, unfortunately I don't have enough days off for outings abroad, unless we go for one day and spend two days on the plane lol. :lmao: I'm working at the hospital this Christmas too, so will probably have to settle with a familiar background for the proposal. Still haven't gotten that planned in my head yet, first need to get the ring. Anyway, thanks for all your help ladies and guys!

Edited by thom3

thom, if you have any debt, including mortgage debt, and don't have a substantial nest egg, spending $10K unnecessarily, isn't the wisest course of action.

I do think your reasoning is sweet, to want to impress her. But you can also impress without the name.

Ahhhh. Tiffany's. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, more timelessly romantic than that little blue box. Just seeing one makes my heart go pitter pat.

Me too. I love getting those little blue boxes! :love:

Heh, isn't the Tiffany ring box black?

Maybe for expensive engagement rings.

I got a white gold ring with inset diamonds (more of a fashion piece, not engagment). It came in a blue box, inside of a large blue box with a bow.

I cried. :D