I just got engaged!

Trialbyfire

What a romantic proposal! :love:

Your ring sounds lovely. Do post pics. Inquiring minds need to see! :bunny:

:love::love::love: What a perfect scene. I'm swooning, and oh so very happy for you, A. :bunny:

yea i was "swooning" too when i got engaged back in '93. you all know how THAT turned out

• Author

Thanks guys, it was :bunny::love:

I was so shocked, I would have never thought!

His parents called this morning to say congratulations and welcome me to the family, it was nice :love:

I have no idea about wedding details though, none at all.

trust me on this....run away to vegas with $1,000 cash and get married at the Elvis Chapel. Ask for the "Return To Sender" Package deal (which includes fake guests). That'll run you around $300. Then get a honeymoon suite at the bellagio for one nite (another $400) and gamble away the rest :lmao:

• Author
trust me on this....run away to vegas with $1,000 cash and get married at the Elvis Chapel. Ask for the "Return To Sender" Package deal (which includes fake guests). That'll run you around $300. Then get a honeymoon suite at the bellagio for one nite (another $400) and gamble away the rest :lmao:

:lmao::love:

This is actually something I would want to do, but I don't want fake guests, and I'd follow it up with a huge family dinner back home.

Thanks guys, it was :bunny::love:

I was so shocked, I would have never thought!

It must be amazing when they surprise you like that.

Sounds picture perfect Allina, wishing you all the best.

Lauriebell82

How romantic! :)

Sounds like something my fiance would want to do. He asked if we could go to Vegas and I told him and I quote "in your dreams." He was kidding though, he wants a wedding also. It was just funny to hear him talk about getting married by an Elvis impersonator. Every girls dream ya know?

Anyway, what a romantic proposal Allina! I'm sure you are so excited!!! Isn't that the greatest moment? I think I asked my fiance "omg what are you doing?" when he got down on one knee. It's unreal to have it happen when you least expect it!

BlackLovely

Congratulations my dear! Remember that a wedding is only one day, whereas the marriage is hopefully for a lifetime. Keep that in mind when planning your big day. I've been engaged since January 2009, getting married October 2010.

Enjoy your engagement!

If you're getting married in the area, or even in Napa/Sonoma, get started on finding a location NOW! :)

It's unreal to have it happen when you least expect it!

Huh? You knew EXACTLY when it was going to happen. He told you, MONTHS before, the when and where.

Lauriebell82
Huh? You knew EXACTLY when it was going to happen. He told you, MONTHS before, the when and where.

I didn't expect that he would propose at the day/time/moment that he did. So it was a surprise. It was so special, a moment I'll never forget. I would not have had it any other way.

• Author
If you're getting married in the area, or even in Napa/Sonoma, get started on finding a location NOW! :)

I admit, I know little when it comes to this stuff. How far in advance are we talking about? I thought we were likely to run off to Vegas or Jamaica then have a family dinner back home to celebrate. Now it's likely that we will have more of a larger, traditional wedding.

Napa/Sonoma/Russian River are definite possibilities.

I thought we were likely to run off to Vegas or Jamaica then have a family dinner back home to celebrate. Now it's likely that we will have more of a larger, traditional wedding.

oh don't get sucking into all that bull**** allina. it'll be a nightmare, trust me.

I admit, I know little when it comes to this stuff. How far in advance are we talking about? I thought we were likely to run off to Vegas or Jamaica then have a family dinner back home to celebrate. Now it's likely that we will have more of a larger, traditional wedding.

Napa/Sonoma/Russian River are definite possibilities.

Well, it depends on how many people you have. The smaller it is, the easier it will be to find a location. I've been helping a friend look for places in that area. She had her heart set on this time next year, and everything is already booked through September 2010 (at least for her size [200] wedding).

I found some great places while exploring with her though. I'll send you the links. :)

Oh, happy day!!! :love:

• Author
oh don't get sucking into all that bull**** allina. it'll be a nightmare, trust me.

I'm not. I have always insisted on a small wedding or eloping. I don't want bridesmaids or anything over the top. However my fiance does want a wedding, with his family and a couple guests. My family (grandparents, cousins, etc.) would like to fly over from Europe to see me get married, and it's important to my fiance's parents to be there.

I feel like eloping to Vegas would hurt them. I can still do it in Vegas if I'd like, but I am going to invite the people who truly want to be there.

Well, it depends on how many people you have. The smaller it is, the easier it will be to find a location. I've been helping a friend look for places in that area. She had her heart set on this time next year, and everything is already booked through September 2010 (at least for her size [200] wedding).

I found some great places while exploring with her though. I'll send you the links. :)

Oh, happy day!!! :love:

Thanks again for the links :bunny:

I have NO CLUE about how many guests we would have. No more than 30-40 for sure.

We're going on vacation in a week and I wasn't planning on planning anything just yet. We were not planning on a very long engagement so it looks like I might need to start thinking about this sooner than I thought.

• Author
A short engagement? How soon allina? :bunny:

I don't know. We don't have a set amount of time. We weren't planning on a 1.5+ year engagement, if it happens, no biggie, it's just not what we expected.

While we have talked loosely about our wedding in the past, nothing has been decided on, other than the fact that we want to marry each other. I'm kind of starting from scratch, I'm not someone who has been planning her wedding since childhood.

Trialbyfire
I don't know. We don't have a set amount of time. We weren't planning on a 1.5+ year engagement, if it happens, no biggie, it's just not what we expected.
1.5+ years is a long time but then, you know why I made that choice. Better to take time in advance, rather than jump into it without some time. The battle between the emotional and rational minds. ;)

A year is pretty standard, due to what it takes to get a wedding together. The venue booking is the worst, if you live in an urban environment, which you do.

While we have talked loosely about our wedding in the past, nothing has been decided on, other than the fact that we want to marry each other. I'm kind of starting from scratch, I'm not someone who has been planning her wedding since childhood.

Then all the better to satisfy both your needs. It sounds like the two of you have similar thoughts about large v. small weddings. It`s all good. :)
  • Author
1.5+ years is a long time but then, you know why I made that choice. Better to take time in advance, rather than jump into it without some time. The battle between the emotional and rational minds. ;)

A year is pretty standard, due to what it takes to get a wedding together. The venue booking is the worst, if you live in an urban environment, which you do.

Then all the better to satisfy both your needs. It sounds like the two of you have similar thoughts about large v. small weddings. It`s all good. :)

I totally understand that a long engagement is right in many situations, like yours. Makes complete sense. On the other hand, my SO and I don't have a need for it, aside from having to wait for the right venue, if that ends up being an issue.

We do share similar ideas on what we want and don't want. We're basically all about something fun, classy, quality, yes small :) I just don;t know the details. How does one decide? I do think it will be either a destination wedding or something at a nice vineyard.

Me thinks the best thing to do now, is to sit down with your fiance :bunny: and make a list of the must-have guests, to determine the number/size of your wedding. From there, you can venue-shop. :)