Friend Dating a Racist!

Quirkalicious

We all have different things we prefer. This does not make us racist. Maybe you are dating a blonde headed guy, does that make you racist against a red headed guys.

We all have personal preferences. Without being able to prefer something over the other, we would not be able to choose what clothes to put on each morning. Does that make us racist? No! Just don't treat others poorly.

Online Dating for women

The person in question does treat people poorly... because of their race. Hence, it is racism. The example was not about personal preference. Or is this one of those 'there is no such thing as racism because I can ignore it as such, type of responses?'

Take care,

Eve xx

WineCountry
If those things are from your personal life then I'm sorry they happened to you, but it's just an observation I have that theres way too much sensitivity when it comes to blacks and racial issues and that in turn has the reverse effect of maximizing the power of racism

You see white ethnic groups ripping on each other all the time in good fun and thats why those stereotypes have no power anymore, because no one cares

Well I AM black, so I am going to give my opinion here. I feel Burning and Bent BOTH are right in their own way. Despite the fact that this is the year 2009, and we have a black president, racism is still alive, and probably always will be. To say things are just hunky dory is to have your head in the sand.

However..I WILL say that blacks CAN be a bit quick to scream that something is racial. And I am talking in general, not specifically about the OP issue with her friend's boyfriend.

I think both sides just need to THINK before they REACT or open their mouths.

bentnotbroken
I think the OP is/was a troll. Her story has more holes in it than swiss cheese.

Yup, lot's and lot's of holes.

I thought you said "half Caribbean and half West Indian" - does the friend have 3 halves?

Caribbean---Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic are all Spanish speaking and many identify with the LATINO or Hispanic culture. I think by Spanish, OP did not mean somebody from Spain.

BTW, the West Indies are in the Caribbean, too...:p

• Author
Quirkalicious
I think the OP is/was a troll. Her story has more holes in it than swiss cheese.

What holes do you see in my story?

• Author
Quirkalicious
Caribbean---Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic are all Spanish speaking and many identify with the LATINO or Hispanic culture. I think by Spanish, OP did not mean somebody from Spain.

BTW, the West Indies are in the Caribbean, too...:p

They certainly are. That was a bit of geography fail on my part.

And by Spanish I meant Puerto Rican actually.

I didn't intend for this to turn into a troll thread, but I guess that's the risk you take when you talk about racism on the internet.

In other news, her brother was over yesterday and he said he didn't go because he was anxious, so that turned out to be nothing at all.

What holes do you see in my story?

For starters, first one of your friends is "half Caribbean and half West Indian" and that makes them somehow Spanish? I'm pretty sure my Spanish brother-in-law would be shocked to discover he's from the Caribbean, he's always been told by his dad they were from Spain.

And by Spanish I meant Puerto Rican actually.

So the guy was really telling Puerto Rican jokes, or your friends are just trying to figure out some reason to dislike this new guy? I know a joke; Did you ever hear the one about the dumbasses that didn't know the difference between Spain and Puerto Rico?

Caribbean---Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic are all Spanish speaking ...

OK, so I understand what you're saying since it actually, you know, makes sense. One question though: When I say "English is a messed up language created by years of war, word stealing and other crimes against grammar" I'm a racist?

Or do we only apply the racist label to non-English jokes? Or to jokes about the Spanish language?

This thread stinks of some people intent on finding a reason to be upset.

bentnotbroken
Children get teased all the time. That's the nature of being a child. They say and do mean things to each other. One get teased for having red hair, being over weight, having big ears, etc.

By the way, in many cultures, calling a child looking and acting like monkey is a compliment. It's ignorant of you to assume every insult is motivated by racism.

No what is ignorant is you thinking I don't know the difference between racism and teasing. I am only speaking about the culture that we live in these great United States. :mad: In no culture is n*g*er a compliment, crawl from under whatever inhuman assumptions you live under, because I don't' live under any. I don't assume my child being harassed in his own yard a sign of encouragement or endearment or my child being called a monkey character building. :mad:

I don't assume my child being harassed in his own yard a sign of encouragement or endearment or my child being called a monkey character building. :mad:

My uncle was known to yell out "Hey you monkeys, time to eat" when he rounded up the children from playing at family gatherings. I never knew he was calling me a racist name. I'm so retroactively scarred now.

bentnotbroken
My uncle was known to yell out "Hey you monkeys, time to eat" when he rounded up the children from playing at family gatherings. I never knew he was calling me a racist name. I'm so retroactively scarred now.

Whether you are scarred or not is of little concern to me. But calling a black child a monkey by anyone isn't something I want my children to learn from anyone.

Whether you are scarred or not is of little concern to me. But calling a black child a monkey by anyone isn't something I want my children to learn from anyone.

Ah, well we were all white so I guess it's OK. :rolleyes:

bentnotbroken
I disagree. I've seen kids being called looking or acting like a monkey as being compliments. I have been called a monkey before when I was a kid and I considered it as a compliment and it was a compliment.

Does the fact that I have light skin negate the intention of the name calling. One can only assume.

I missed being called a monkey. :lmao:

Did that cause my confidence increase? No. Did it cause any damage to my self image or selfesteem? No. I went on to college and grad school and on my way to a sucesful career, and I sill today, I am proud to be called a monkey. :D

Good for you. You are an exception to the rule. Walking in the driveway of your own home doesn't appear to be a trait I have been made aware monkey's do. Whether you agree or not, I find it offensive and it will generally get your azz whipped where I am from... a racially mixed neighborhood of good kind people. Thank God.

bentnotbroken
So, it's all about having a different rule, standard, and special treatment for a black child?

Standard, are you daff? Traditionally, the terms coon, porch monkey, darkie, spade, and n*g*er have all been terms used to describe black people, especially in the south. Those terms are unacceptable and inexcusable. Especially when used to refer to children. How the hell is that special treatment showing respect to a person without using derogatory terms. SHHEEESSSHHH, and you say you went to school to get an education? Did you skip the part about life?

Ha ha ha.... you funny monkey. :D

Ouch, dude, you're blocking my recovery. Try to be a little more sensitive OK?

Standard, are you daff? Traditionally, the terms coon, porch monkey, darkie, spade, and n*g*er have all been terms used to describe black people ....

So they called him a monkey, or a "porch monkey", or what? Because you're sort of all over the place now.

Calling a white boy monkey is fine. Calling a Asian boy monkey is cool. Calling a Hispanic boy monkey is okay. Calling a black boy monkey is WOW...controversy! See my point?

You're just a dirty cracker racist trying to keep me down! Er, I guess put me down anyway. Yeah, that's it! For what it's worth, I believe it's not what you say it's how you say it. There are no magic words and anyone who thinks there are is weak minded at best.

bentnotbroken

I guess I am not sure what you are speaking of. Black people "in general" don't care for the term "monkey". Porch monkey was traditionally used by white's (rich or poor) to describe black's and their believe that we were closely related to animals and therefor more easily dismissed as human's with emotions and feelings.

My son was harassed by the police at our home. We live in a upper middle class neighborhood where the people are very protective of each other, especially when they see someone being treated wrong because of ingrained racial stereotypes.

bentnotbroken
Good one, you big monkey. :D

See, clv is okay with it and brush it off. Why can't we live in a harmonious environtment where everyone is treated equal without special treatment and standards for someone because the color of his/her skin?

Calling a white boy monkey is fine. Calling a Asian boy monkey is cool. Calling a Hispanic boy monkey is okay. Calling a black boy monkey is WOW...controversy! See my point?

Sorry, I don't any child should be called monkey. But since I only raise my own, I know that calling one of mine monkey would be a very bad idea. The two of you post as if you don't have children, then I can understand your inability to see farther than you are right now.

Really? They're people who don't understand why calling somebody black a "monkey" counts as racism? So none of you have ever heard of white supremacy propaganda stating that blacks nothing more than barely evolved apes and are considered subhuman because of it?

bentnotbroken
Good one, you big monkey. :D

See, clv is okay with it and brush it off. Why can't we live in a harmonious environtment where everyone is treated equal without special treatment and standards for someone because the color of his/her skin?

We can only live harmoniously when people aren't prejudged for the color of their skins, for get the special treatment, how about human treatment? I don 't expect to see it in my lifetime.

The only way your comment makes sense if it is expressed in a vacuum. But that isn't the case.

So none of you have ever heard of white supremacy propaganda stating that blacks nothing more than barely evolved apes and are considered subhuman because of it?

No, I thought most WS groups were nominally Christian honestly, but I'm far from expert.