How exactly does gay marriage negatively affect traditional marriage?

To the anti gay marriage crowd.

1) How can people change who they are attracted to?

2) You say you are not anti gay (some of you at least), but please explain why civil unions and employment non discrimination are *not* the law of the land in 2009 in America. Who is blocking this?

I believe the majority of the anti gay marriage crowd to actually be completely anti gay. Can you refute this?

Island Girl
You CAN choose to not be gay.

Yeah. Just like you CAN choose not to be heterosexual right?

I have always been attracted to men.

I did not DECIDE to be attracted to men.

I just remember thinking "he's cute" or "he's really handsome, I like him".

How can you NOT understand that it is the SAME way with them.

They do not CHOOSE who they are attracted to they just ARE.

reservoirdog1
If only people who are bad at math would stop saying stupid things like this. If only.

I guess if you have nothing meaningful to contribute, attacking somebody's math skills is the best you can do, huh?

Way to go for adding to the discussion. Props.

Untouchable_Fire
In the majority of states there are no civil unions, let alone marriage for gays. To top all this off, in the majority of states, you can be legally fired just for being gay. :mad: They can't even see a sick partner in some states. I have to conclude that you find employment and marriage and other things count less than 0.000001%.

Your post would be extremely laughable if it weren't so hurtful to gays.

I was born straight and am attracted to the majority of women. Let me know how I can change who I'm attracted to. Is there a secret way to do this? :rolleyes:

I don't know where you live, but in my state they have already passed laws that provide equal rights.

Don't blame me if your state doesn't! It's probably because all the activist bullies are turning people off. Which is why your post is more hurtful to the gay community than mine.

Being gay is an action silly. You can be attracted to whomever you want... that is a separate issue.

Really, Micheal Jackson chose not be black, or a man for that matter:laugh: But could you tell me how I could choose not to be attracted to men and attracted to women. How can I do this? I have always only been attracted to men, as far back as I can remember. Even when my gay cousins were with the same sex, it didn't make me want to try it. I guess I am confused. And gay people don't have 99% of the rights they were born with. After they come out or are even suspected of being gay, those rights start to disappear.

MJ tried to change his race... I don't think it worked.

People choose who they are attracted to all the time. What's wrong with you people... don't you know anything about science and genetics?

We are designed to be Flexible in our attraction. In fact society molds what we are attracted to in many ways. Do you think Kate Moss would have been a big deal 100 years ago? It's the same bloody thing.

Also, where do you people live that gays are so repressed?

Untouchable_Fire
To the anti gay marriage crowd.

1) How can people change who they are attracted to?

2) You say you are not anti gay (some of you at least), but please explain why civil unions and employment non discrimination are *not* the law of the land in 2009 in America. Who is blocking this?

I believe the majority of the anti gay marriage crowd to actually be completely anti gay. Can you refute this?

1) People constantly change who and what they are attracted to! However, that isn't really the issue. Some knucklehead tried to compare it to being born African American... which is like comparing apples and oranges. That's the point.

2) Some crazy high number of Americans want a compromise, where gay people get all the rights they deserve, but the minority on both sides refuse to budge. If you called it Gairriage instead of Marriage... you would have 70% + popular support. However, I don't see bully activists willing to settle. Why is that? Because they would not get the right to go after religious groups in court. The first time a gay couple gets excommunicated by the Mormon church.... bang 100 billion dollar lawsuit.

So... for activists, this isn't about getting people rights... it's about trying to take away rights for those who have faith. Otherwise we would have compromised on this 15 years ago.

Untouchable_Fire
LMFAOROF!!!!!!!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I highly doubt that your laughing at all.

How about you put some thought to it and come back with a good question or something.

Island Girl
Being gay is an action silly. You can be attracted to whomever you want... that is a separate issue.

I have to believe that because you posted this you have at times been attracted to both sexes and you choose one over the other.

Sweetie - that does happen but MOST people aren't like you.

That means you are BI-sexual.

I'm glad we could get that out on the table so now some degree of healing can begin.

The first step is acceptance!

(You accepting yourself that is -- we already accept you! See, we're open minded that way)

Island Girl
Island Girl, I am REALLY liking your posting style! :laugh:

Yes - acceptance is the key!

Really -- use of the word "silly" was my first clue there was a bit more going on there...

Did anyone else pick up on that or was it just me?

;)

Back Atcha!

People choose who they are attracted to all the time. What's wrong with you people... don't you know anything about science and genetics?

We are designed to be Flexible in our attraction. In fact society molds what we are attracted to in many ways. Do you think Kate Moss would have been a big deal 100 years ago? It's the same bloody thing.

Kate Moss would have been a big deal in any era, she is beautiful we have not changed in basic principles of beauty. A flower has always been beautiful and though different mutations of plants have produced different buds we appreciate beauty on a basic level. You are talking about beauty vs gender sexual preference, I can appreciate a beautiful woman but the thought of slipping my tongue in her mouth turns my stomach.

Ahhh yeah but not when it comes to flipping back forth between genders. "Flipitty floppity" is not the norm, it is confusion. You are entitled to be "confused" but don't tell me that's what happens to most people. It does not.

Island Girl
Kate Moss would have been a big deal in any era, she is beautiful we have not changed in basic principles of beauty. A flower has always been beautiful and though different mutations of plants have produced different buds we appreciate beauty on a basic level. You are talking about beauty vs gender sexual preference, I can appreciate a beautiful woman but the thought of slipping my tongue in her mouth turns my stomach.

Ahhh yeah but not when it comes to flipping back forth between genders. "Flipitty floppity" is not the norm, it is confusion. You are entitled to be "confused" but don't tell me that's what happens to most people. It does not.

EXACTLY. :cool:

Untouchable_Fire
I need a thoughtful post to answer first!

People can be attracted to anyone they want. Um, SOUNDS good... :rolleyes::lmao:

I just said that people can be attracted to anyone they want... and you disagreed with me. You are just completely confused and have nothing to talk about.

I have to believe that because you posted this you have at times been attracted to both sexes and you choose one over the other.

Sweetie - that does happen but MOST people aren't like you.

That means you are BI-sexual.

I'm glad we could get that out on the table so now some degree of healing can begin.

The first step is acceptance!

(You accepting yourself that is -- we already accept you! See, we're open minded that way)

Again... you can't respond with anything intelligent.

You want to know why some 60% of Americans disagree with you on this topic? Because you and those like you have zero argument and try to just bully everyone into agreeing with you.

You are just so full of hate.

Untouchable_Fire

Neither you or I can prove one another wrong on this. You can't say that society has no influence, and I can't prove how much influence it has. We do know that in several ancient civilizations men were expected to be either gay or bisexual. It was a societal norm and it seems the vast majority of men complied.

I believe that we are born with preferences one way or the other and that we choose to either act on them or not. Therefore, it's not like being born into a particular racial group.

OK! I have a question and would like your opinions. Some homosexuals (not the closet ones obviously) are very,very effeminate, their voices, gestures, mannerisms,expressions etc...

How many of you think this is something innate and natural, something they can't help, the "real" side to their sexual identity and how many of you think this is a put on, something they have picked up and do intentionally?

Island Girl
OK! I have a question and would like your opinions. Some homosexuals (not the closet ones obviously) are very,very effeminate, their voices, gestures, mannerisms,expressions etc...

How many of you think this is something innate and natural, something they can't help, the "real" side to their sexual identity and how many of you think this is a put on, something they have picked up and do intentionally?

I went all through school with a boy like this and he was ALWAYS like this. Even before we knew what effeminate meant. Bad at sports, brought Judy Garland tapes to school, the whole nine.

And we also had a transfer girl who was so incredibly NOT feminine at all. I never knew for sure about her - if she was gay or not - but I ran into her a couple years after high school and she was with her girlriend.

So -- if it wasn't clear from my rambling -

They are born that way but I LOVE it when the fully embrace it and go overboard with it later in life.

They are SO FUN!!

I don't know where you live, but in my state they have already passed laws that provide equal rights.

Don't blame me if your state doesn't! It's probably because all the activist bullies are turning people off. Which is why your post is more hurtful to the gay community than mine.

Also, where do you people live that gays are so repressed?

I live in a big city where gays do have more rights than most places in the US. Go to many other places in the US and things are downright hostile for gays.

Really, I can be attacted to whoever I want?????? :lmao::lmao::lmao: Please tell me the magic formula so I know how I can change who I'm attracted to. I'm attracted to the majority of women, but maybe I could be attracted to others if I knew your formula.

I know quite a bit about science and genetics btw.

1) People constantly change who and what they are attracted to! However, that isn't really the issue. Some knucklehead tried to compare it to being born African American... which is like comparing apples and oranges. That's the point.

2) Some crazy high number of Americans want a compromise, where gay people get all the rights they deserve, but the minority on both sides refuse to budge. If you called it Gairriage instead of Marriage... you would have 70% + popular support. However, I don't see bully activists willing to settle. Why is that? Because they would not get the right to go after religious groups in court. The first time a gay couple gets excommunicated by the Mormon church.... bang 100 billion dollar lawsuit.

So... for activists, this isn't about getting people rights... it's about trying to take away rights for those who have faith. Otherwise we would have compromised on this 15 years ago.

I wonder who that "knucklehead" is. I happen to agree that it is a very accurate comparison.

Blame it on the gays. :lmao: The right wingers in congress have blacked employment non discrimination and haven't even considered civil unions. Amazing. Hopefully some of that will change this year.

I highly doubt that your laughing at all.

How about you put some thought to it and come back with a good question or something.

I have no doubt she's laughing.

I'm laughing too. :lmao:

I just said that people can be attracted to anyone they want... and you disagreed with me. You are just completely confused and have nothing to talk about.

Again... you can't respond with anything intelligent.

You want to know why some 60% of Americans disagree with you on this topic? Because you and those like you have zero argument and try to just bully everyone into agreeing with you.

You are just so full of hate.

Somebody is full of hate and confused and it is not either of them or me.

I post a thoughtful question, and all I get is crickets chirping. :confused:

Dangit! :mad::laugh:

An ignorant person usually has one of three responses to a thoughtful question.

1 - "crickets chirping" response

2 - a nonsensical response

3 - they attack the person asking the question

Option 1 was chosen this time.

I live in a big city where gays do have more rights than most places in the US. Go to many other places in the US and things are downright hostile for gays.

Really, I can be attacted to whoever I want?????? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif Please tell me the magic formula so I know how I can change who I'm attracted to. I'm attracted to the majority of women, but maybe I could be attracted to others if I knew your formula.

This is what I mean. I see boys in Grammar School who are most definitively effeminate. You hear it in their voice, you see it in the way they move, in the way they dress, the things they say and do. This to me indicates that indeed a very large percentage of homosexuals are indeed born with this proclivity. If this is true, I think we have to revise and expand the meaning of "natural" to emcompass all of nature's creations.

Untouchable_Fire

I know some guys that act very effeminate and are straight. I can't tell you why that is.

What is your hypothesis?

Island Girl
I know some guys that act very effeminate and are straight. I can't tell you why that is.

What is your hypothesis?

They are forced to hide their true selves and try to conform because of hateful unaccepting people who deny them a full life otherwise. Ahem.

The sad part is they lead unhappy lives in some way with either choice.

That would be another thing you don't understand - because you can choose whom you are attracted to - you have a full life romantically no matter which direction you go.

See other people don't have THAT either. Ahem.

I know I know -- another "something new" came so quickly.

But differences are GOOD. You don't want to be just like everyone else. Differences make all of us special.

Untouchable_Fire
So, UT, what you're saying is the thought of slipping your tongue into some guy's mouth DOESN'T turn your stomach? :confused:

I don't really think about it. I could really care less if you do or don't want to do it. I'm not interested in it... and that is my choice... right?

Really, I can be attacted to whoever I want?????? :lmao::lmao::lmao: Please tell me the magic formula so I know how I can change who I'm attracted to. I'm attracted to the majority of women, but maybe I could be attracted to others if I knew your formula.

I live in a big city too. I don't see much in terms of discrimination. Do you think gay marriage would end that hostile environment?

I have a degree in genetics. It wouldn't make any sense at all if

I wonder who that "knucklehead" is. I happen to agree that it is a very accurate comparison.

Blame it on the gays. :lmao: The right wingers in congress have blacked employment non discrimination and haven't even considered civil unions. Amazing. Hopefully some of that will change this year.

It was an apples to oranges analogy. It's not accurate at all. It just seems insulting to what African Americans went through that you compare it to being forced to file taxes separately.

It needs to be a compromise, otherwise it will just harden the opposition.

I have no doubt she's laughing.

I'm laughing too. :lmao:

If she was really laughing... she wouldn't be making personal attacks.

Somebody is full of hate and confused and it is not either of them or me.

The most hateful people here are on your side. I don't see anyone else slinging insults. Do you?

An ignorant person usually has one of three responses to a thoughtful question.

1 - "crickets chirping" response

2 - a nonsensical response

3 - they attack the person asking the question

Option 1 was chosen this time.

Except for Pollywag, they have used all 3.

They ignored the content of my argument.

They talk in circles.

They have made personal attacks on me.

Can I ask you this question UT?

Given that being gay means being discriminated against, have to live in fear of being fired/beaten up/killed...

Who would choose that?

Did you ever think to yourself...hrm...men or women, which do I prefer??

Untouchable_Fire
They are forced to hide their true selves and try to conform because of hateful unaccepting people who deny them a full life otherwise. Ahem.

The sad part is they lead unhappy lives in some way with either choice.

That would be another thing you don't understand - because you can choose whom you are attracted to - you have a full life romantically no matter which direction you go.

See other people don't have THAT either. Ahem.

I know I know -- another "something new" came so quickly.

But differences are GOOD. You don't want to be just like everyone else. Differences make all of us special.

Maybe that is the case for some, but I doubt it is for all of them. However, the point is that we just don't know where it comes from or why.