Do Hugs Mean Anything?

fivefive

When you hug a girl, is it deemed more as a friendly action or an "i'm interested romantically" one? And are there more ways to show you're interested in someone as more than friends?

Hugs are for friends.

And are there more ways to show you're interested in someone as more than friends?

Yes. Kiss her.

Well, a hug is certainly a more informal gesture than, let's say, shaking hands at the end of a date. Being a guy, I find that giving a hug at the end of date, or receiving one, signals that the party is more interested as a hug signifies that you are comfortable enough and ready to attempt to make a closer connection with that person.

It depends also on how the hug develops: Is the hug proceeded by a smile on your face and hers? This make it seem as though you both are eager. Is the hug an actual hug or more like just a brush? You should analyze these non-spoken gestures/body language to interpret whether or not a hug means anything.

Trialbyfire

fivefive, it would help if you put your questions into context.

I have close male friends who hug me. I have business contacts who sometimes give hugs and/or sometimes, the airy cheek kisses. My SO gives me hugs of affection and hugs of other kinds. I also hug my female friends.

OP, if it's a full body hug, generally preceded by direct and lingering eye contact, and she's wondering whether that's a cell phone in your pocket or whether you're happy to see her, and then you kiss her, either on the lips fully, or just brushing them to her cheek, she'll get the message.

The key is to be affirmative and confident. You embrace her, not wonder if she wants to embrace you. Signals :)

Hugs mean nothing. I give them out like pocket lint and think nothing of it. Sometimes I start and end a date with a hug if I know the women to be comfortable enough.

Anything more I think is concidered a lead-on to courtship.

Hugs can be incredibly romantic, but in and of themselves they don't signify much. Neither does a kiss, necessarily. Guys sometimes kiss girls they're not attracted to. To signify interest, you're going to have to ask her for another date, giving details about your availability and possible activities to do. :)

The Collector

If a woman hugs a man she's never kissed, it shows she thinks of him as a nice, non-sexual teddy bear who she will never sleep with. If a man hugs a woman he has never kissed it means he doesn't fancy her or needs to totally rethink his approach to the opposite sex.

or - if a woman hugs a man she's never kissed, it could also mean that she just wants to get her hands on him and see what he feels like hoping he'll get off his ass and start kissing her already.

has happened to me a few times :laugh:

to the OP:

yes, a hug always means something.

OK, try this. A married friend grabs my bald head and strokes it and makes pleasant sounding noises. She does this in front of my wife. She's known my wife twice as long as we've been married. See, I'm thinking she likes bald heads. Her H shaves his. Mine's natural :D

When I hug her, I'm thanking her for stroking my head, or something like that ;)

Just another true story in carhill's bizarro world :)

On-topic, what is the significance of the "double hug"? You know, when you hug a lady and then begin to release and she hugs you "again". This is something else I get from female friends occasionally. I'm thinking something in line with Collector's assertion about the non-sexual teddy bear. I do like non-sexual affection and maybe women pick up on that. Anyway, no complaints.

Trialbyfire

carhill, I can't speak for your lady friends but most often, when I give a double hug, it's because the first hug from the hugger has come as a surprise. The double hug is a slower return of affection. While a slow return doesn't work well in tennis, the double hug seems to work okay. :D

For me, the double hugs mostly happen on goodbyes. I purposely ignore such nuances during time of emotional upheavals, like at weddings and/or funerals. I understand that kind of stuff. It's more the ones which catch me by surprise that I reflect upon.

Since you openly share affection with many people, would you say the hugging/embraces you get from men are sincere or do you get signals that they are looking for or thinking about a cheap feel? I'm just curious to hear a woman's perspective. I know, for myself, if I felt the women embracing me were just looking for a cheap feel, that would color my perception of them and of the dynamic, even if it were not the case with that particular woman. Signals would leak out.

When you hug a girl, is it deemed more as a friendly action or an "i'm interested romantically" one? And are there more ways to show you're interested in someone as more than friends?

If a guy who has trouble verbally expressing his feelings gives you a hug that feels "significant", then it probably is. I go with my instincts when it comes to hugs. A lot of people hug offhandedly; others seize the moment as an opportunity to convey an unexpressed/nonverbalized physical affection towards you (without having to explain anything afterward).

Trialbyfire

carhill, instinctually, I get different vibes from different huggers and react accordingly. If it's someone I don't want in my space, I will hold them off at arms length with zero body contact. I don't even do it deliberately, more of a reflex action.

One time an ex-bf of mine hugged me very tightly and tried to give me an openmouthed kiss. I let him. Why? I don't know. It was obvious he was still attracted to me, but I guess it was rather inappropriate, although at the time we were considering getting back together. How do exes generally greet each other?

Hugs are cool because you get to press up against a woman's boobs, that's why I'm a boob man. :-)

OK, try this. A married friend grabs my bald head and strokes it and makes pleasant sounding noises. She does this in front of my wife. She's known my wife twice as long as we've been married. See, I'm thinking she likes bald heads. Her H shaves his. Mine's natural :D

Carhill...you and your wife are swingers....come on...don't lie! lol :laugh:

Carhill...you and your wife are swingers....come on...don't lie! lol :laugh:

No, I firmly believe that women see me as this big non-sexual cuddly teddy bear. They did for many years prior to my becoming married. Being married has made a safe behavior perceptively even safer for them IMO. BTW, though I make light, these are friends I love dearly and am just using as examples for the topic. I'd take a bullet for any of them.

No, I firmly believe that women see me as this big non-sexual cuddly teddy bear. They did for many years prior to my becoming married. Being married has made a safe behavior perceptively even safer for them IMO. BTW, though I make light, these are friends I love dearly and am just using as examples for the topic. I'd take a bullet for any of them.

JUST KIDDDDIIIIIING, Carhill :-)

Me too. I'm actually a closet perv copping as many feels as I can ;)

Seriously, and I say this on sort of a sad note, my mom really didn't start hugging me in earnest and telling me she loved me until she became demented. Understanding that reality changed me. Hugs mean a whole lot more to me now. TBH, I think women sense that.

Threads like this make me laugh.

"So I was turning a corner and slammed into a girl who wasn't looking where she was going. Does that mean she's interested in me?"

Citizen Erased
Threads like this make me laugh.

"So I was turning a corner and slammed into a girl who wasn't looking where she was going. Does that mean she's interested in me?"

You do know people would pay to get slammed by you, right?