For the romantics

infatuationoftheday

Again, I'm talking about basic human decency and fundamental connection - am I really off-base to think that fidelity is inherently a part of a partner-relationship? Is it really the case that "none of it carries any meaning beyond that imbued by explicit agreement..." so I have to be sure I say "now, the fact that we have agreed to be exclusive BF&GF/committed partners/married/whatever - let's just be explicit about the ground rules... Do we agree that this means we are not going to f**k around with anyone else, or are we keeping that option open?"

And in your world where vows are meaningless, and everyone knows that, and a wedding is an empty, hollow ritual and facade for all involved, what good would that do? I still seems that you would claim that even given such a discussion, "who can every be held to such a promise?"

You aren't off-base and I do believe everyone understands this concept intellectually. I believe it is a setting of priorities at the emotional level -- either romantic love trumps all or my pleasure/convenience trumps all. Different emotional IQs, if you will.

Yeah... I'm definitely a hypocrite, and would be hurt if my boyfriend thought or acted like I do. I'm just exploring other ideas here, maybe trying to justify my thoughts. Thanks for your opinion, every little bit helps to guilt me into the nunnery.

Why do you behave hypocritically in a way that potentially hurts your boyfriend?