Empathy for BS?

Al, I have to agree with you on this point. I would never ever stay with a cheater. Some may be able to reconcile but I know myself and it's just not in me.

I may even forgive them eventually, but I would never be able to forget and for me it would forever tarnish anything we may have together.

It's not surprising to me that the success rate for reconciled marriages after infidelity is only around 31%.

DealingWDrama
Read chapter 3 of "The Five Love Languages", and look at the references cited there.

There's a great discussion about the "in love" state of a relationship, and how it is often prolonged or exacerbated when that "in love" state is the result of an affair.

You're all right...that "addiction" is due to the "in love" state of the relationship. However, that stage of the relationship is often much more intense than in a 'normal' one because of the affair, the emotions and stresses that are created BECAUSE the "in love" phase was initiated by an affair.

So the "in love" feelings generated in the beginning of any love relationship are powerful and addictive. BUT...they are often more intense and appear to last longer in affairees...and therefore the ADDICTION is much greater then too.

I am so GLAD I am not the only one who appreciates Gary Smalley...kudos