It's a question of respect...

GrnEyedGemini
You love it, otherwise you would have stopped 7 posts ago. :p

Because having a difference in opinion with someone is not disrespectful, neither is disagreeing on a view. If you go through life only feeling respected by those that accept your way of thinking then you must lead a pretty frustrating life.

Telling someone their opinion is wrong is, by your standards, disrespectful. Like I said....maybe you could practice what you preach and have RESPECT for those who disagree? I mean, according to you, being polite and courteous is showing respect. Telling someone their opinion on a simple word is wrong is rude and discourteous, therefore, by your standards and definition on the word respect, you are being disrespectful to Owl by saying his opinion is wrong. In addition, you are being disrespectful to other posters, according to your definition, with your responses being rude and snideful.

But say whatever you want...I know you are going to keep on arguing just to have the last say.

And guess what...by your standards and definition, I'll respect your differing opinion and agree to disagree on the word respect and whether you are being disrespectful or not. :)

However, according to MY opinion on the word respect....I have no respect for you as I have never met you. Therefore, I will be polite and say have a nice day, Tomcat. :bunny:

Telling someone their opinion is wrong is, by your standards, disrespectful.

NO it's not!?!? By "my standards"???? what do YOU know what my standards are? :lmao: You mean by your interpretation.

Yeah ok if that is how you interpreted it then I can see you saying that. So let me give you an example to explain it better.

If you were to tell me hey I am 42 yrs old, and I were to say to you "nahhh you're 21" and you then said to me "no actually you are wrong I am indeed 42" are you being disrespectful because you told me I was wrong, when infact I was disrespectful?

Telling someone they are wrong is not disrespectful telling someone "well gees even a tomcat can figure that out" is. See the difference?

At any rate OWL and I "disrespect" each other all the time, we have a long history of doing so. :laugh:

I'm over it, are you? :D

I'm trying to understand...its not disrespectful to argue with someone. But...is it courteous, or kind? LOL

And if calling someone wrong isn't disrespectful, how can treating someone you've just met indifferently or neutraly be considered disrespectful?

GrnEyedGemini

:lmao::rolleyes::lmao::rolleyes:

NO it's not!?!? By "my standards"???? what do YOU know what my standards are? :lmao: You mean by your interpretation.

Yeah ok if that is how you interpreted it then I can see you saying that. So let me give you an example to explain it better.

If you were to tell me hey I am 42 yrs old, and I were to say to you "nahhh you're 21" and you then said to me "no actually you are wrong I am indeed 42" are you being disrespectful because you told me I was wrong, when infact I was disrespectful?

Telling someone they are wrong is not disrespectful telling someone "well gees even a tomcat can figure that out" is. See the difference?

At any rate OWL and I "disrespect" each other all the time, we have a long history of doing so. :laugh:

I'm over it, are you? :D

LOL.....age is a fact, Tomcat....not an opinion. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

BTW, you blatantly stated what your take on the word was...that is what your standards considering the word respect is. Standard has different meanings too. Standard: "Any established measure of extent, quantity, quality, or value; hence, any type, model, or example for comparision." That would mean by your standards (measure of value; example for comparision), respect means politeness and courteousness. Are you gonna argue with me about this word too? :p

I never said arguing is disrespectful....the WAY you are arguing is disrespectful. You can't tell someone their OPINION is wrong and say you are being respectful to them or their opinion. To say "ok, that is your definition and I have mine" is being respectful (polite) while arguing.

I think its pretty hilarious your arguing so strongly about a word you really don't seem to understand or practice completely, even by your standards, yet you want to force your opinions down the throats of those who oppose. Yeah....that's respectful, LOL.:laugh:

Don't throw sarcasm my way Tomcat. I have not been rude or sarcastic to you. The only reason I reply is because I'm bored and this amuses me. :laugh: And I know how to be polite while arguing! Maybe you could re-read the last few posts and learn a thing or two about arguing politely, or by your standards, respectfully. :rolleyes:

• Author
You're simply battling over word usage, and trying to prove your point by attempting to force others to use and adhere to your definitions.

Shheeesh, Owl, yes, this is obviously a battle over word usage. May I respectfully point out that the dictionary definition that I personally used (defined in the first few posts) was:

deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly

most especially I highlighted the usage I have been specifically talking about. (BTW, it's a noun in that usage)

Owl, you are a very intelligent person. You KNOW that there are often many meanings to a word. Showing acceptance and courtesy is ONE of those meanings. Just because any of us might feel that one of the other meanings better fits the way we tend to use the word doesn't invalidate the other meanings. Yet another meaning is:

esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.

This seems to be closer to the meaning you are most comfortable using.

And might I respectfully point out that it seems to me that you are attempting to force the use of your meanings. Both meanings of the word are valid - as are other usages of the word.

GrnEyedGemini
Stop disrespecting me, ALL of you!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

LOL....After you my dear. :bunny:

Remember....you are talking to people who only give respect to those who earn it.

Shheeesh, Owl, yes, this is obviously a battle over word usage. May I respectfully point out that the dictionary definition that I personally used (defined in the first few posts) was:

deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly

most especially I highlighted the usage I have been specifically talking about. (BTW, it's a noun in that usage)

Owl, you are a very intelligent person. You KNOW that there are often many meanings to a word. Showing acceptance and courtesy is ONE of those meanings. Just because any of us might feel that one of the other meanings better fits the way we tend to use the word doesn't invalidate the other meanings. Yet another meaning is:

esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.

And might I respectfully point out that it seems to me that you are attempting to force the use of your meanings. Both meanings of the word are valid - as are other usages of the word.

Excactly, that's where I feel OWL is wrong. I feel he is stuck in semantics trying to come up with another word that describes what you are saying exactly (in terms of context) to substantiate the exact same action.

Not at all Silk...I was fine with letting it drop, until my words were intentionally re-written into someone ELSE's definition, and they've attempted to insist that I adhere to THEIR interpretation.

I've got no issue with someone else going by their own definitions...just don't try to rephrase my words to try to "prove a point" that 'you won".

That's what TC attempted to do...as I was letting it drop, she was trying to 'prove her point' by trying to get me to agree with her interpretation...I simply pointed out to her that I would not accept her phrasing, as it doesn't match my definition or actions. And always happens...it went downhill from there.

I don't care if someone calls it respect or purple butterflies.

And this is where YOU are wrong, TC.

Don't try to force me to agree with your definitions.

Don't feel that you have to agree with mine, because I certainly don't expect you to.

• Author

:)

I don't care if someone calls it respect or purple butterflies.

Oh goodie - let's go with purple butterflies!!! :lmao: :lmao:

(I'm glad we agree - I was worried for a minute there.)

I just like to be able to use BOTH meanings - with respect to the situation - in fact I use a few other meanings of the word occasionally:)

Silk, I think you and I have been agreement since page 1 of this thread. You and I have agreed we have different "definitions" of the word respect, and went on from there...no issue.

And this is where YOU are wrong, TC.

I SAID STOP DISRESPECTING ME!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

OWL and Tomcat disagree, call the press! ;)

GrnEyedGemini
Excactly, that's where I feel OWL is wrong. I feel he is stuck in semantics trying to come up with another word that describes what you are saying exactly (in terms of context) to substantiate the exact same action.

That is why its called a PERSONAL OPINION or a PERSONAL POINT OF VIEW!

Here I'll give you some synonyms for the word OPINION...maybe you'll better understand the meaning of the word....belief, conviction, decision, estimate, idea, impression, judgement, notion, view.

Just because your opinion is different than ours does not make us wrong and it doesn't make you wrong. That is all we are trying to show you. You are only wrong when it comes to a fact or a moral/ethical issue (and that's a whole other topic!). Not when it comes down to opinion. It could be considered arrogant to call someone's differing opinion wrong. Note I DID NOT call you arrogant. I said the act could be arrogant, in one's opinion! :)

GrnEyedGemini

Silk...I don't know you IRL, but just because you agree to disagree and let opinions be opinions while still being nice, I have purple butterflies for you!! LoL! :)

Lol...I thought it was cute! :p

I SAID STOP DISRESPECTING ME!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

OWL and Tomcat disagree, call the press! ;)

Hmmm....remember the beginning of this 'discussion'?

I commented that for me...people start neutrally and then gain either respect or disrespect from there, based on their actions and our interactions????

:) :) :) :) :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::) :) :) :)

Main Entry: 1re·spect audio.gif Pronunciation: \ri-ˈspekt\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Latin respectus, literally, act of looking back, from respicere to look back, regard, from re- + specere to look — more at spy Date: 14th century 1: a relation or reference to a particular thing or situation <remarks having respect to an earlier plan>2: an act of giving particular attention : consideration3 a: high or special regard : esteem b: the quality or state of being esteemed cplural : expressions of respect or deference <paid our respects>4: particular, detail <a good plan in some respects>

— in respect of chiefly British : with respect to : concerning

— in respect to : with respect to : concerning

— with respect to : with reference to : in relation to

noun 1.a particular, detail, or point (usually prec. by in): to differ in some respect. 2.relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route. 3.esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment. 4.deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly. 5.the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect. 6.respects, a formal expression or gesture of greeting, esteem, or friendship: Give my respects to your parents. 7.favor or partiality. 8.Archaic. a consideration. –verb (used with object) 9.to hold in esteem or honor: I cannot respect a cheat. 10.to show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights. 11.to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with: to respect a person's privacy. 12.to relate or have reference to. —Idioms 13.in respect of, in reference to; in regard to; concerning. 14.in respect that, Archaic. because of; since. 15.pay one's respects, a.to visit in order to welcome, greet, etc.: We paid our respects to the new neighbors. b.to express one's sympathy, esp. to survivors following a death: We paid our respects to the family. 16.with respect to, referring to; concerning: with respect to your latest request.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/respect

GrnEyedGemini
noun 1.a particular, detail, or point (usually prec. by in): to differ in some respect. 2.relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route. 3.esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment. 4.deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly. 5.the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect. 6.respects, a formal expression or gesture of greeting, esteem, or friendship: Give my respects to your parents. 7.favor or partiality. 8.Archaic. a consideration. –verb (used with object) 9.to hold in esteem or honor: I cannot respect a cheat. 10.to show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights. 11.to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with: to respect a person's privacy. 12.to relate or have reference to. —Idioms 13.in respect of, in reference to; in regard to; concerning. 14.in respect that, Archaic. because of; since. 15.pay one's respects, a.to visit in order to welcome, greet, etc.: We paid our respects to the new neighbors. b.to express one's sympathy, esp. to survivors following a death: We paid our respects to the family. 16.with respect to, referring to; concerning: with respect to your latest request.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/respect

Esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability

This is the definition Owl and I agreed on. Understanding that the word has many definitions, this is the definition I refer to when someone talks about someone owing another respect or showing another respect. In this definition, you can't give just anybody respect because you don't know what kind of person they are unless you know them.