Why is marijuana illegal?

I Luv the Chariot OH

because they have proven over time that it chemically f**Ks up your brain and the long term affects can be devastating. Nicotine is addictive but you don't get high from smoking it.

I have taken health sciences in College and am presently in a pharmacology course and learning about the effects of drugs the chemicals and the altering it does to your brain and body as a whole.

Haha, but prozac is totally OK. :rolleyes:

I used to get a tobacco high all the time when I smoked my first cig of the day. Smoked for 12 years, too.

Haha, but prozac is totally OK. :rolleyes:

I used to get a tobacco high all the time when I smoked my first cig of the day. Smoked for 12 years, too.

But see, there are LOTS of people making a LOT of money on Prozac and smokes. People can grow their own pot, hence there wouldn't be anywhere NEAR the money making opportunities for the already rich folk.

Weed is also associated with counter cultures that mainstream folks look at with disdain so that is why it is illegal. Most drug prohibition came to be because of the element they were associated with and not the actual health risks.

Weed is also associated with counter cultures that mainstream folks look at with disdain so that is why it is illegal. Most drug prohibition came to be because of the element they were associated with and not the actual health risks.

And what "counter culture" would that be? :confused:

And what "counter culture" would that be? :confused:

Originally it was jazz musicians who were villianized in those days as being a bad influence. Most of them were big pot smokers. Then it was the hippies.

Originally it was jazz musicians who were villianized in those days as being a bad influence. Most of them were big pot smokers. Then it was the hippies.

Oh, you're talking about back in the days when they used to stereotype the "typical pothead." Gotcha. ;)

The ante was really upped when Nixon took office and started the federal war on drugs as we see it today. It was part of his whole war on the counter culture and it has been a huge failure.

They do not legalize it simply because they are making far too much money off of tickets, violations and court dates.

If marijuana were legalized, sure the government could tax it but people could also choose to grow it in their backyard for free. Which would you choose?

If they legalize it they will lose a ton of money. Period.

They do not legalize it simply because they are making far too much money off of tickets, violations and court dates.

If marijuana were legalized, sure the government could tax it but people could also choose to grow it in their backyard for free. Which would you choose?

If they legalize it they will lose a ton of money. Period.

They could make up that money by not wasting so much in a futile war on drugs.

They could make up that money by not wasting so much in a futile war on drugs.

And THEN some by growing pot and selling and taxing it. These people who say, "But it's a gateway drug!" have their heads buried where the sun don't shine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure he was not a regular toker during his training and Olympic experiences.

But he finally let off some steam.

I'm not a stoner, but I'm not bugged by him doing that.

Just stay away from the crack.

• 3 weeks later...
GorillaTheater

I was a prosecutor for five years. We had several conversations in the office about pot and the general concensus was that if we had to choose between making either pot or alcohol illegal, the easy call would be to outlaw the booze. Pot-users tend to drive EXACTLY the speed limit and stay home and order pizza. Compared to the countless cases of traffic deaths and injuries, domestic violence and other assaults and homicides fueled by alcohol. But of course we all know how prohibition turned out. My experience in the law enforcement community is that few people are truly keen on keeping pot illegal (as opposed to those in the political realm). Should pot be legal? Sure, why the hell not?

It is illegal because no one could profit from it substantially enough to fund the politicians.

Anyone can grow marijuana. Less people have the means to make enough cigarettes on a daily basis, so they need a business to provide it and here comes the money. Same with alcohol.