Why is marijuana illegal?

I Luv the Chariot OH

• Author
I Luv the Chariot OH
You call those links credible and informative? Whomever created those links are obviously biased towards MJ.

All that both you and I have to work with are our own opinions on the matter.

They should make it legal. Let the Government tax you some more.

I mostly posted those links for the images of actual government propaganda, like this (http://www.drugpolicycentral.com/bot/images/killerdrug.jpg) classic one...that IS what you asked for, isn't it?

And regardless if they're biased, the history is true, and the facts are there.

I mostly posted those links for the images of actual government propaganda, like this (http://www.drugpolicycentral.com/bot/images/killerdrug.jpg) classic one...that IS what you asked for, isn't it?

And regardless if they're biased, the history is true, and the facts are there.

I was hoping to see actual real scientific research on the subject matter.

If enough people care to have it legalized and vote at the polls I imagine it will eventually happen. No real logical reason to keep it illegal.

That is a possibility but thats the thing: a majority of people don't care for it, otherwise there would be a legit debate on legalizing it.

Pyro,

This is just my opinion, but I think many folks are apathetic about it. I think a majority of people fall on the don't care/in favor of having it legalized, but the majority of the active voters and politicians fall more under the semi-against/oppose legalization.

Pyro,

This is just my opinion, but I think many folks are apathetic about it. I think a majority of people fall on the don't care/in favor of having it legalized, but the majority of the active voters and politicians fall more under the semi-against/oppose legalization.

Apathy regarding pot? That's just not possible. :p

Jake Barnes
Apathy regarding pot? That's just not possible. :p
Actually I dont feel apathetic at all on pot if I dont go overboard. I feel hungry and it makes me want to make exotic dishes with lots of spices and then I generally feel like playing slow atmospheric music or getting out of the house
Pyro,

Thats an interesting thought. You may be on to something there.

They always emphasize just how important voting is. This year especially will be of upmost importance. I am expecting to be waiting in a huge line come this November.

Jake Barnes

I remember on hot summers like this i used to like to get high early in the morning and then go watch the gators feed at the fishing pond just before it started to get hot when they would disappear

That used to fascinate me for some reason

I remember on hot summers like this i used to like to get high early in the morning and then go watch the gators feed at the fishing pond just before it started to get hot when they would disappear

That used to fascinate me for some reason

When I use to get high, I would find just about anything funny.

It's illegal because the people that make the laws are mostly idiots.

If this country would legalize and tax drugs and prostitution, the cops would spend a lot less time chasing two things that will never go away, and the U.S. could pay off its debts.

I like to get weeded and listen to some good music. I have a weed playlist on my iPod that I put on every time I toke up.

Trialbyfire
It's illegal because the people that make the laws are mostly idiots.

If this country would legalize and tax drugs and prostitution, the cops would spend a lot less time chasing two things that will never go away, and the U.S. could pay off its debts.

Murder, rape and assault will never go away either. Maybe the lawmakers should allow everyone to carry their own automatic weaponry and assorted other weapons like bazookas and people could self-patrol and take care of themselves and their properties, as they saw fit.

This would remove any need for lawmakers thus create more money to offset the trillions of dollars put into the Iraq war, which has sunk the US to the greatest debt it's ever been in!

Another way to offset the National Debt is to cut off all social services.

As you've probably figured out, I'm anti-legalization of both MJ and prostitution, for all kinds of reasons.

Murder, rape and assault will never go away either. Maybe the lawmakers should allow everyone to carry their own automatic weaponry and assorted other weapons like bazookas and people could self-patrol and take care of themselves and their properties, as they saw fit.

This would remove any need for lawmakers thus create more money to offset the trillions of dollars put into the Iraq war, which has sunk the US to the greatest debt it's ever been in!

Another way to offset the National Debt is to cut off all social services.

As you've probably figured out, I'm anti-legalization of both MJ and prostitution, for all kinds of reasons.

I guess I'm missing the connection with how legalizing drugs is the same as legalizing rape or doing away with social services...? Based on that logic, alcohol should also be illegal (and it once was). If drugs were legalized, there would be laws associated with them just like there are laws about alcohol regarding driving under the influence, legal age, etc. If adults want to kill themselves with drugs or alcohol, then that's their perogative. It would do away with the violent underworld that thrives because of drugs being illegal and they would be dealt with on a different level. Would all the problems go away? Of course not, but it would bring the issue out in the open. Making them illegal only adds to the problem.

Men paying women to have sex will never, ever go away. Again, I don't see the comparison between that and people walking around with bazookas or raping someone. If two adults agree to exchange sex for money, who are they killing, or raping, or affecting the safety of others? If a married man wants to go to a prostitute, is the fact that it's illegal really going to stop him? What difference does it make? Prostitution is not going to go away and the people who participate in it are not hurting anyone because it's a mutual agreement.

If the guy is married, yes he's hurting his wife but how far do you think the law needs to delve into our personal lives simply because people make bad choices? Should we then make affairs illegal? Should we make gossip illegal? The list could go on and on. But the more you let the laws invade our privacy, the less choice you leave yourself. Making things illegal - anything - does not do away with the fact that if someone wants to do something, they will do it. Instead of wasting energy trying control the stupid things people do to themselves, the control should only be related to age and the affect it has on others.

The same can be said of people who went to Dr. Kovorkian. Very few people seem outraged that our government made a law that people do not have the right to do what they want to do with their own bodies, even die if they choose. I think it's complete nonsense. If you want freedom, true freedom, that covers all areas - not just the ones you approve of. I personally don't give a fig about drugs and I don't care about prostitution. What I do care about is an invasive government. I wish more people did.

Trialbyfire
I guess I'm missing the connection with how legalizing drugs is the same as legalizing rape or doing away with social services...? Based on that logic, alcohol should also be illegal (and it once was). If drugs were legalized, there would be laws associated with them just like there are laws about alcohol regarding driving under the influence, legal age, etc. If adults want to kill themselves with drugs or alcohol, then that's their perogative. It would do away with the violent underworld that thrives because of drugs being illegal and they would be dealt with on a different level. Would all the problems go away? Of course not, but it would bring the issue out in the open. Making them illegal only adds to the problem.

Men paying women to have sex will never, ever go away. Again, I don't see the comparison between that and people walking around with bazookas or raping someone. If two adults agree to exchange sex for money, who are they killing, or raping, or affecting the safety of others? If a married man wants to go to a prostitute, is the fact that it's illegal really going to stop him? What difference does it make? Prostitution is not going to go away and the people who participate in it are not hurting anyone because it's a mutual agreement.

If the guy is married, yes he's hurting his wife but how far do you think the law needs to delve into our personal lives simply because people make bad choices? Should we then make affairs illegal? Should we make gossip illegal? The list could go on and on. But the more you let the laws invade our privacy, the less choice you leave yourself. Making things illegal - anything - does not do away with the fact that if someone wants to do something, they will do it. Instead of wasting energy trying control the stupid things people do to themselves, the control should only be related to age and the affect it has on others.

The same can be said of people who went to Dr. Kovorkian. Very few people seem outraged that our government made a law that people do not have the right to do what they want to do with their own bodies, even die if they choose. I think it's complete nonsense. If you want freedom, true freedom, that covers all areas - not just the ones you approve of. I personally don't give a fig about drugs and I don't care about prostitution. What I do care about is an invasive government. I wish more people did.

While I'm all for a smaller government, legalizing drugs would be a disaster. If you consider the number of overdoses a year, nvm death from overdoses, I don't want to think about the numbers that might, in a legalized environment. The cost of this to the taxpayer for medical expenses and social services could easily be outrageous.

Also, upon legalization and taxation of drugs, you'll still find a black market for cheaper drugs, since not everyone will be able to afford the legal/expensive kind. Black market drugs will be lower grade and potentially spiked with all kinds of additives which could easily result in bad results to individuals.

Even in Holland, where pot is legal, hard drugs are not.

As for alcohol, if it gets made illegal, I don't really care. If I never had another drink in my life, it would be moot to me. If they make potato chips illegal, I can easily live with that too, considering that most chips are 25% fat content. These aren't basic needs for the human body.

As for prostitution, consider the black market again. Where's the change beyond being able to tax the wealthy...one...more...time? You're still going to have disease vectors, just two ways to get it of which one way, will be far, far easier. No prostitute can possibly maintain perfect sexual health, if they're servicing numbers.

If you consider the number of overdoses a year, nvm death from overdoses, I don't want to think about the numbers that might, in a legalized environment. The cost of this to the taxpayer for medical expenses and social services could easily be outrageous.

The overall burden on our medical system decreases when people die young (i.e. overdose). However, one could argue there may be a short term expenditure increase even though it would be offset by taxation.

Anyway, you could view it as a needed selective pressure, as western society doesn't have many left. It would strengthen our gene pool.

Also, upon legalization and taxation of drugs, you'll still find a black market for cheaper drugs, since not everyone will be able to afford the legal/expensive kind.

When has the legalization of any prohibited item increased its relative cost?

Black market drugs will be lower grade and potentially spiked with all kinds of additives which could easily result in bad results to individuals.

This argument is more applicable to our current situation. Legalization would actually decrease the danger of adulterants.

Psilocybin...

As for prostitution, consider the black market again. Where's the change beyond being able to tax the wealthy...one...more...time?

I know that emotional morality can cloud judgment, but damn! Do you think sales tax is a tax that hinders the wealthy?

You're still going to have disease vectors, just two ways to get it of which one way, will be far, far easier. No prostitute can possibly maintain perfect sexual health, if they're servicing numbers.

Let's look at a similar model. Did disease rates increase and working conditions falter when food became regulated by the FDA? I highly recommend reading The Jungle if you haven't already.

• Author
I Luv the Chariot OH
I was hoping to see actual real scientific research on the subject matter.

What sort of research are you hoping for about history and government propaganda? The fact is that marijuana is considered a Schedule 1 drug in America, the same class as the absolute most dangerous drugs--the same drug class as heroin!--despite that it fails all three requirements for that schedule (it's not actually addictive, it can be used medically, and it is not dangerous), because earlier in the century, the government was successful at convincing people that marijuana was dangerous (as in, the murder, rape and insanity in Reefer Madness)--and thankfully, most people know that's not the case nowadays.

TBF, I mostly agree with you, but: "If you consider the number of overdoses a year, nvm death from overdoses, I don't want to think about the numbers that might, in a legalized environment. The cost of this to the taxpayer for medical expenses and social services could easily be outrageous." --this is one of the reasons why I say there's no reason NOT to legalize marijuana; not only is it impossible to overdose, but people don't get hurt (or hurt other people!) while/because of using marijuana. If something should be unlegalized, it's alcohol--especially where I come from, and the taxpayer is funding the health care system!

Haloandhorns85
While I'm all for a smaller government, legalizing drugs would be a disaster. If you consider the number of overdoses a year, nvm death from overdoses, I don't want to think about the numbers that might, in a legalized environment. The cost of this to the taxpayer for medical expenses and social services could easily be outrageous.

Also, upon legalization and taxation of drugs, you'll still find a black market for cheaper drugs, since not everyone will be able to afford the legal/expensive kind. Black market drugs will be lower grade and potentially spiked with all kinds of additives which could easily result in bad results to individuals.

As for alcohol, if it gets made illegal, I don't really care. If I never had another drink in my life, it would be moot to me. If they make potato chips illegal, I can easily live with that too, considering that most chips are 25% fat content. These aren't basic needs for the human body.

As for prostitution, consider the black market again. Where's the change beyond being able to tax the wealthy...one...more...time? You're still going to have disease vectors, just two ways to get it of which one way, will be far, far easier. No prostitute can possibly maintain perfect sexual health, if they're servicing numbers.

I completely disagree with the statement in bold. The drug market is already the black market. Those creating the higher grade MJ will still create the higher grade MJ. Just because it is legal isn't going to stop them creating it. Hell, I think it'd boost their confidence in producing a quality product. In addition, why would a MJ producer lace his product with something that would potentially harm his/her customers? That happens rarely with pot anyways. Don't think it being legal would create a problem of laced pot. IMO, if that were to happen, it'd happen while it is illegal.

As far as the postitute sexual health, ever heard of a condom? :)

I got stoned last night and got incredibly depressed. Threw away my pipe and FLUSHED my herb, for the first time in my life.

Legality aside, it is a profoundly addictive and disorienting drug. I highly recommend that anyone who is STILL in deep pain like me, stay away from it, as well as excessive alcohol. The best recovery needs a clean, clear mind.

• 1 month later...

It is illegal because there are no big businesses that can make money off of pot. Anyone can easily grow it for themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
CommitmentPhobe
Actually I dont feel apathetic at all on pot if I dont go overboard. I feel hungry and it makes me want to make exotic dishes with lots of spices and then I generally feel like playing slow atmospheric music or getting out of the house

Do you home grow it or do you pay for some 7 year old kid to be forced under an opressive regime to grow it for you ?

LucreziaBorgia

I was having a conversation with H about this very thing this morning. It angers me that growing and smoking a plant in its unadulterated form will get you sent to jail by a government that subsidizes the toxic substances that keep the pharmaceutical industries' pockets well lined. The poison that is cigarettes (with the horrendous crap they put in them) is legal, but a plant growing out of the ground, and used in that form is illegal?

I guess if the government could find a way to exploit marijuana so that the special interest groups that run our government could benefit, and in turn benefit themselves, they'd be all about legalizing it.

I doubt that the government gives a rats ass about health and well being, so I don't buy it for an instance that it is 'danger to people' that drives the illegality of pot. If health and well being were an issue, cigarettes would be illegal.

I doubt that the government gives a rats ass about health and well being, so I don't buy it for an instance that it is 'danger to people' that drives the illegality of pot. If health and well being were an issue, cigarettes would be illegal.

And alcohol as well.

I don't really smoke weed anymore, but I've always felt it should be legal. All the money spent on campaigning against marijuana is a joke.

Maybe if they made it legal, we could pull out of this recession and create a profit market with the stuff.:o