Not sure if my friend took advantage of me

• Author

After not responding to the 2 emails she forwarded a 3rd on information about a class and wrote: "This is the class I was talking about.....I dont know if you remember because you were drinking then too. Its a great class."

This is someone I've been very close with for the past few months so it is really shocking because we all like to think we can spot a fake or a smooch and it's hurtful when they are revealed after forming a relationship wtih them. My sister is pressuring me to respond with all these great come back lines and all, but I really don't want to have anything to do with her anymore.

I want to go on the trip because I have booked the best room in a very very nice hotel in a very desirable city I have not been to before, and have a lot of cute new clothes already packed and ready to go. I will ignore her and will be shocked if she shows up (we're booked to sit next to each other on the flight). If she doesn't send a check by Wed I will cancel the ticket. I can't be friends with her after this let alone share a suite and sleep in the same room on a vacation. She hasn't even apologized. I'm so surprised by all this. Would not have expected it but now I can look back and see a lot of signs of her bad personality that I had overlooked.

Wow, even in my worst doormat days I wasn't as big a doormat as you are Fun. Not to be mean but wow. This is sad.

Your tenants take advantage of you in the same way.

Hope you stick to your guns.

Hope you can find better friends in the future. People who will like you for YOU and not what you can do for them.

After not responding to the 2 emails she forwarded a 3rd on information about a class and wrote: "This is the class I was talking about.....I dont know if you remember because you were drinking then too. Its a great class."

This is someone I've been very close with for the past few months so it is really shocking because we all like to think we can spot a fake or a smooch and it's hurtful when they are revealed after forming a relationship wtih them. My sister is pressuring me to respond with all these great come back lines and all, but I really don't want to have anything to do with her anymore.

I want to go on the trip because I have booked the best room in a very very nice hotel in a very desirable city I have not been to before, and have a lot of cute new clothes already packed and ready to go. I will ignore her and will be shocked if she shows up (we're booked to sit next to each other on the flight). If she doesn't send a check by Wed I will cancel the ticket. I can't be friends with her after this let alone share a suite and sleep in the same room on a vacation. She hasn't even apologized. I'm so surprised by all this. Would not have expected it but now I can look back and see a lot of signs of her bad personality that I had overlooked.

Cancel the ticket and don't look back. No one likes to be shafted, and this "friend" totally shafted you. :mad:

• Author
Wow, even in my worst doormat days I wasn't as big a doormat as you are Fun. Not to be mean but wow. This is sad.

Your tenants take advantage of you in the same way.

Hope you stick to your guns.

Hope you can find better friends in the future. People who will like you for YOU and not what you can do for them.

Funny you mention this because it's the last day of the month, giving me one more day to send my tennants a notice to increase their rent or not renew their lease which is up August 1st - these are the nightmare tennants who pressured me to rent to them really cheap then demanded a lot of extras like the alarm system after signing the lease and making me pay for it.

The real * crux * of the situation is why you allow people to use you and take advantage of you.

When I was around 16 years old I came across a book called " Being more assertive " In it ,the book explained that you could actually say NO to salesman, how to politely end the call...

It explained how you could say NO to the salesman knocking at the door .

The friend who wants something from you. ANYONE.

To be a people pleaser means you are trying too hard to please others when YOU are the most important person.

I would first off CANCEL immediately THEIR part of the trip. I would go yourself and enjoy.

If you can't go alone then cancel the whole thing.

But really you need to take a hard look at how many people you are trying to please and why ?

You have money. Its YOURS ! Whether you inherited it or worked for it.

Give to the poor , the needy and to yourself.

Forget the greedy friends.

Give only to friends who are truly deserving...

• Author
The real * crux * of the situation is why you allow people to use you and take advantage of you.

It's not that I allow it - I just don't realize it is happening most of the time until afterwards. As soon as I realized in this case, I got upset and started asking people for help on what I should do. But sometimes I go along with it not because I want to but because I don't want to hurt people's feelings by saying no. I guess I'm too nice, it has nothing to do with wanting them to like me but more to do with not wanting to hurt others by witholding something they want from me but then I end up hurting myself instead.

I would first off CANCEL immediately THEIR part of the trip. I would go yourself and enjoy.

The airline ticket is already priced almost $100 more today and it will only go up more and more each day so I am thinking of canceling it the latest time possible which is Thursday so if they want to buy another one it'll be priced much higher for them.

If you can't go alone then cancel the whole thing.

I don't mind going alone. I wish I had someone with me to experience the great room and vacation with me. The 'friend' is psycho. She thinks I'm so dumb and texted me non stop last night saying she needs to talk to me, like she's my boss and telling me what to do, and kept calling. I have not responded to any of her texts or emails or answered her calls. The last text sounded desperate saying that we're leaving in 3 days and must talk. She thinks I'm that desperate for her friendship that I would still want her to come along, that she could talk to me and treat me this way and actually be expecting me to apologize and act like she's still going?

But really you need to take a hard look at how many people you are trying to please and why ?

Well like I mentioned it is not so much to please others than to not hurt them, I feel bad when someone is upset because of me and am not trying to win others affections by being nice. For example I would do things anonymously just to make someone enjoy something I can offer without getting a pat on the back for it. But unfortunately there are many people who will take advantage of that.

You have money. Its YOURS ! Whether you inherited it or worked for it.

Give to the poor , the needy and to yourself.

Forget the greedy friends.

Give only to friends who are truly deserving...

I do give a lot to the needy, to my place of worship and so on. I love to be generous with friends, but sometimes a bad apple falls through the cracks and I end up suffering for my generosity.

The airline ticket is already priced almost $100 more today and it will only go up more and more each day so I am thinking of canceling it the latest time possible which is Thursday so if they want to buy another one it'll be priced much higher for them.

I wouldn't do that. Take the high road.

What was the last thing you said to her and how? If things aren't clear, then her reaction is understandable. You are leaving in 3 days and she needs to know if she's still going.

• Author
What was the last thing you said to her and how? If things aren't clear, then her reaction is understandable. You are leaving in 3 days and she needs to know if she's still going.

The last thing I said to her was the email I sent yesterday morning, which said: "I need to cancel your sister's ticket because it's not sitting well with me, I felt pressured to pay even though I don't remember saying I would while we were drinking as I mentioned yesterday. I had the impression your parents were going to pay for her ticket since we were waiting on their ok. Let me know if you want to pay for your sister so she does't miss out..."

To which she responded with her nasty emails and then her demanding texts that I call her. I have already made up my mind I want nothing more to do with her. If she's that ballsy to show up at the airport and fly with me, I will tell her good luck finding a hotel considering how tight and stingy she is with her money. Once I write someone off, that's it. I'm not going to be her doormat where she can wipe the sh** from her shoes all over.

I would not respond to her nasty emails. Period.

Let this day be the first day you stop being nice and stand your ground.

You don't want to hurt someone but they are hurting you.

Balance is the key.

• Author
I would not respond to her nasty emails. Period.

Let this day be the first day you stop being nice and stand your ground.

You don't want to hurt someone but they are hurting you.

Balance is the key.

Well, I wish I saw your post in time but what happened was, she kept sending texts and calling following not getting any responses from her nasty emails, and so far I had been ignoring everything because they were totally not on my standard of humanity. Then she sent a text stating that since I am avoiding her that she is coming over!

I locked all my doors, blasted the AC in front of the house to drown out her knocking and closed a metal door I have in front of my main door and locked both so she wouldn't have access to my doorbell or knocking on the door. Then I called my sister to calm me down because this is upsetting me and I don't know what to do. We went over several different emails to send her, some very long and detailed.

Then she came pounding on the metal door and my sister said to open it, that she'd be on the phone with me for support. I said no way, she's psycho! I ended up sending an email that says: "We're obviously very different people, I will no longer extend sharing my suite with you. Please stop contacting me." This was about 20 minutes ago. As I'm typing this I just got an email from a mutual friend of ours, talking about how his day went and asking how mine is going. I bet she contacted him and he's trying to get info out of me of what's going on between us but no way will I start gossiping.

This is exactly why I don't have a bunch of friends. I hope I'm not too pickky like everyone says I am. I mean most people might've just forgiven and forgotten so they'd still have a nice vacation to be with someone but I have chosen to cut ties and go alone. I just can't be fake or be around fakeness and shallowness. I am feeling like cra*. I also feel scared because I had told her some secrets (like about the T) and am scared if she will open her mouth about it to people we know. Ughhhhhhh. But I don't want that to force me to have a relationship with her like it's something hanging over my head.

This is beyond normal.

She has NO right to come over to your home. You don't have to answer the door or the phone.

If you consider her a threat or a trespass , then contact the police. This is some scarey stuff.

Are you telling us everything ?

I mean who does this ?

How nice have you been to people. Is this beyond nice and doormat stuff ?

If you are too nice, none of them will respect you.

I live alone. The heck with someone barging over and banging on my door. Hello Police. !

No disrespect intended here . I think maybe talking to someone to get stronger so people dont push their way into your house ?

People have alot of acquaintances but most people only have a hand full of good friends. They don't use you and they support you emotionally. If she had been a true friend she would have understood your position and apologized for thinking you were going to pay for her sister ( even if you offered to pay when drinking ). She thinks she can get to you and that is why she is hounding you. People like her latch onto people like you because they feel they can manipulate you.

• Author

No disrespect intended here . I think maybe talking to someone to get stronger so people dont push their way into your house ?

Oh I understand, I totally need to grow a spine. I am seeing a new T who has been very helpful, but she is away on vacation so I am feeling lost and my poor sister is feeling sorry for me because she knows how hard it is for me to stick up to people.

Our mutual friend - who is really her friend and I know him through her, who has never called me before, just telephoned (after sending the email) and left a vm saying he has a problem he wants me to call to help him with. I bet she is over at his house. She is desperate to get in contact with me, she is psycho. I wouldn't be surprised if he handed the phone to her. His voice sounded shaky and shady. I am so fed up with people, and myslef for allowing this to get to this level. I am always having one bad thing after another happen to me, with people I trust end up taking advantage of me.:(

curiousnycgirl

UGH second time I am trying to post this.

To be perfecty honest I think your behaviour here has been completely childish. I do not condone stalking, but you left her no choice. She even told you as much in one of her texts where she said you two were leaving in 3 days so that you had to speak.

You had already decided to cancel her portion of the trip. How was she supposed to divine that piece of information? While you had ever right to make the decision you did, it was completely immature not to communicate it to her.

Furthermore I would believe you need to please is somewhat childish too. Adults expect their friendships to be somewhat balanced with the opportunity for equitable reciprocity. By buying a vacation to a lavish suite in a fabulous city, for someone you've only met a few months - you are ensuring she will not be able to reciprocate. Why? You never answered my questions as to why you were buying it (sorry I don't buy what you've said so far).

I'm not saying any of this to be mean - just trying to be truthful.

• Author
People have alot of acquaintances but most people only have a hand full of good friends. They don't use you and they support you emotionally. If she had been a true friend she would have understood your position and apologized for thinking you were going to pay for her sister ( even if you offered to pay when drinking ). She thinks she can get to you and that is why she is hounding you. People like her latch onto people like you because they feel they can manipulate you.

Thanks, it helps to read that. I keep wondering if I did something wrong based on her reaction. All I wanted was an apology or acknowledgement of what happened was not right, instead she turned sarcastic, angry, taunting, threatening and is acting like I'm not being responsible to keep my word for something I don't remember saying.

Even if someone in their sobriety offered to help my family that generously I'd say thanks but no thanks let alone holding a gun to their head about it when they said it under the influence without recollection of it...anyways, i think I need to get it all out here so I don't simmer in these thoughts and feelings.

Not everyone in this world is nice. There are people who use you and have no problem in doing as much. You want to treat others as you would like to be treated but some people don't hold to the golden rule. They want to take from you and if you give it they will suck you dry until you stand up for yourself and call them on it. She doesn't respect you and you need to respect yourself enough not to let her treat you this way.

• Author
UGH second time I am trying to post this.

To be perfecty honest I think your behaviour here has been completely childish. I do not condone stalking, but you left her no choice. She even told you as much in one of her texts where she said you two were leaving in 3 days so that you had to speak.

You had already decided to cancel her portion of the trip. How was she supposed to divine that piece of information? While you had ever right to make the decision you did, it was completely immature not to communicate it to her.

Furthermore I would believe you need to please is somewhat childish too. Adults expect their friendships to be somewhat balanced with the opportunity for equitable reciprocity. By buying a vacation to a lavish suite in a fabulous city, for someone you've only met a few months - you are ensuring she will not be able to reciprocate. Why? You never answered my questions as to why you were buying it (sorry I don't buy what you've said so far).

I'm not saying any of this to be mean - just trying to be truthful.

I'm one to reply to emails right away, and hers were so provocative of getting a response from the stuff she wrote, that I responded ten different ways spilling my guts, but ended up deleting or saving them in my drafts. I didn't want to contribute to the drama she was causing yet accusing me in her emails that I was the one making drama.

Basically, when I started seeing my new therapist, she would ask me what we would talk about, since she too is a therapist and would give me her opinions and feedback. I told her that my therapist wanted me to make a list of things I would want to do including places I would want to visit if I could pick anything to do, because she thought I never did much for myself and was always doing things for others or else waiting for others to do things for me, for ex. my ex or my ex T I would want them to take me away so when that didn't happen, I thought I wasn't worth going to places on my own etc.

So anyways, when I told my friend all this, she said well why don't we go to "xyz" since that's a fabulous destination full of fun that neither one of us have been to before. I was hesitant but finally I said ok. I took care of the hotel because she is always saying she can't afford anything, is on a tight budget, is broke (and I have a lot of $) so I really didn't mind doing that.

But she kept hinting for me to buy her ticket too, saying if I didn't the prices would only keep going up. I kept saying whenever you're financially able to, to let me know so we could purchase them at the same time and get seats together on the same flight. Finally she said why don't I put it on my card and she'll pay me back but I said why don't we just wait a couple more days until you figure out your finances.

Then she called me late the Sunday before last, saying we had to purchase the tickets already (since the hotel was booked for the 4th of july weekend fri-mon). We were over the phone and she was telling me nonchalantly to put it on my card but just like with the sister's scenerio, it wasn't sitting well with me but because we were on the phone I stuck to my guns and said no and miraculously she was able to put it on her card.

But when she was at my place and asked me to pay for her sister's fare, she has a strong personality and after I protested I didn't remember ever saying I'd pay for it and so on, she was getting upset and I finally gave in, only to feel worse and worse about it until I posted about it the following morning here. That's basically the whole story of how things precipitated. The rest is that the same morning I emailed telling her it didn't sit well with me considering we had been drinking and I have no memory of it, especially since the whole time she gave me the impression their parents were going to pay for it and that she was waiting on their ok. We were shopping when she was on the phone with her sister who told her that their parents said ok for the trip (sister is 22, not like she needs permission, doesn't even live with the parents, basically she said they were waiting for their ok to pay for her sister who just got out of college).

So she got happy and said she has good news, that her sister can come after all, that her parents said ok. Then at my place, after telling me to look up the flight and fare, I said so are you going to calll your sister to book this flight? At that point she said that I had said I would, and she said her parents were only going to pay for her spending money, that that's what they were asking them for! It's like she was trying to trick me or take me to be a fool or something. I told her I had absolutely no memory of offering to pay for her sister and she cooerced me to whip out my card and pay for it myself and when I sent her an email the following morning saying it didn't sit well with me, she started sending nasty responses and saying I had to go through with what i had said while "drunk" and sending me texts that I had to talk to her when I have already made up my mind that I don't want to have anything to do with someone like her. I'd never make someone pay for my family especially when they clain they didn't remember since they were drinking. That is MESSED UP. but maybe I am wrong, I really don't know. That's why I haven't canceled her sister's ticket yet even though they are not going to contribute a dime towards it..

There is a first time for breaking things.

I am very upset that you are getting taken advantage off and she can force her way on you.

A 22 yr old can handle herself, your friend can handle herself, leeches can handle themselves. Honestly, cancel both tickets and say you're "drunk" and now I remember.

I know you want to go, so go by yourself; take another friend.

curiousnycgirl
I'm one to reply to emails right away, and hers were so provocative of getting a response from the stuff she wrote, that I responded ten different ways spilling my guts, but ended up deleting or saving them in my drafts. I didn't want to contribute to the drama she was causing yet accusing me in her emails that I was the one making drama.

Basically, when I started seeing my new therapist, she would ask me what we would talk about, since she too is a therapist and would give me her opinions and feedback. I told her that my therapist wanted me to make a list of things I would want to do including places I would want to visit if I could pick anything to do, because she thought I never did much for myself and was always doing things for others or else waiting for others to do things for me, for ex. my ex or my ex T I would want them to take me away so when that didn't happen, I thought I wasn't worth going to places on my own etc.

So anyways, when I told my friend all this, she said well why don't we go to "xyz" since that's a fabulous destination full of fun that neither one of us have been to before. I was hesitant but finally I said ok. I took care of the hotel because she is always saying she can't afford anything, is on a tight budget, is broke (and I have a lot of $) so I really didn't mind doing that.

But she kept hinting for me to buy her ticket too, saying if I didn't the prices would only keep going up. I kept saying whenever you're financially able to, to let me know so we could purchase them at the same time and get seats together on the same flight. Finally she said why don't I put it on my card and she'll pay me back but I said why don't we just wait a couple more days until you figure out your finances.

Then she called me late the Sunday before last, saying we had to purchase the tickets already (since the hotel was booked for the 4th of july weekend fri-mon). We were over the phone and she was telling me nonchalantly to put it on my card but just like with the sister's scenerio, it wasn't sitting well with me but because we were on the phone I stuck to my guns and said no and miraculously she was able to put it on her card.

But when she was at my place and asked me to pay for her sister's fare, she has a strong personality and after I protested I didn't remember ever saying I'd pay for it and so on, she was getting upset and I finally gave in, only to feel worse and worse about it until I posted about it the following morning here. That's basically the whole story of how things precipitated. The rest is that the same morning I emailed telling her it didn't sit well with me considering we had been drinking and I have no memory of it, especially since the whole time she gave me the impression their parents were going to pay for it and that she was waiting on their ok. We were shopping when she was on the phone with her sister who told her that their parents said ok for the trip (sister is 22, not like she needs permission, doesn't even live with the parents, basically she said they were waiting for their ok to pay for her sister who just got out of college).

So she got happy and said she has good news, that her sister can come after all, that her parents said ok. Then at my place, after telling me to look up the flight and fare, I said so are you going to calll your sister to book this flight? At that point she said that I had said I would, and she said her parents were only going to pay for her spending money, that that's what they were asking them for! It's like she was trying to trick me or take me to be a fool or something. I told her I had absolutely no memory of offering to pay for her sister and she cooerced me to whip out my card and pay for it myself and when I sent her an email the following morning saying it didn't sit well with me, she started sending nasty responses and saying I had to go through with what i had said while "drunk" and sending me texts that I had to talk to her when I have already made up my mind that I don't want to have anything to do with someone like her. I'd never make someone pay for my family especially when they clain they didn't remember since they were drinking. That is MESSED UP. but maybe I am wrong, I really don't know. That's why I haven't canceled her sister's ticket yet even though they are not going to contribute a dime towards it..

Wow this chick totally manipulated you, she is not worthy of your time, energy, emotion, etc. However she DOES deserve to be told that the trip is off. Regardless of what she wrote in her emails - you can respond with a one line note saying that you are no longer comfortable with the situation and the trip is off. I of course would add a request that she stop all communication.

I think she'll stop on her own - as she will now know that the free ride is over.

I am so very sorry this person took such advantage of you. The sister thing was over the top - but I'm glad it happened, because frankly it made you see that the entire situation was wrong. If someone suggests that two people go somewhere - how DARE they suggest that the other person foot the entire bill? This person is a user.

I for one will be very glad to offer my PM to you at any time to run these things by me before spending money/making committments to people who are not worthy of you

• Author
Regardless of what she wrote in her emails - you can respond with a one line note saying that you are no longer comfortable with the situation and the trip is off.

In post #35 I quoted the email I sent her last night when she was coming over, it said: "We're obviously very different people, I will no longer extend sharing my suite with you. Please stop contacting me."

She is not responding to the email pretending she didn't get it because she keeps texting me again and again saying stuff like let's get passed this and have a good time this weekend. No apology, no offer to pay for her sister - she thinks I am not canceling the sister's tick and thinks she's still pulling one over me. Thanks for the offer to PM you in the future.

vintagecat

I've been following this thread for a few days now. Is anyone else concerned about the 300 pound gorilla in the room that I can't recall being mentioned? The very thing that allowed the original poster to be manipulated by an unseemly person?

Fun: If you are drinking to excess even occasionally where you aren't remembering what you are saying or doing, then maybe it's time to look at this as a big issue, passive aggressive problems aside.

You also need to discuss this very issue in great detail with your straight up counselor. The "trip therapist" was way out of line starting a relationship of any sort with a client while that client was in therapy with them. Her actions (many of them appear to be seriously unreasonable) may be grounds for professional discipline and for the good of other vulnerable people seeking counsel that may stumble into her path, it might be the right thing to do to report her to the authorities for abusing her position. So save those emails and phone calls until you can make an informed decision. If your new counselor is a really straight arrow and if you are completely honest with her about all aspects of this issue, she'll steer you straight and will recommend a proper course in this matter.

Meanwhile clean this up as well as you can and enjoy your trip by yourself. And always mind that inner voice that tells you that something is amiss and take proper action before it becomes a big fat mess like this one. We have instincts left over that are very useful when cognitive reasoning hasn't yet become aware of the problem, use it!

Very unfortunate circumstances that you share at least some of the blame for, if for no other reason, allowing yourself to be pushed where you didn't want to go. Best of luck to you.

• Author
Fun: If you are drinking to excess even occasionally where you aren't remembering what you are saying or doing, then maybe it's time to look at this as a big issue, passive aggressive problems aside.

I wouldn't say I was acting completely passive/agressive due to the fact that I wasn't entirely passive when I reluctantly paid for the ticket. I told her I didn't remember ever saying I would and we went back and forth but she "won" and I reluctantly felt pressured to give in, only I didn't feel better about it afterwards and it resulted in me sending her a cordial (not nasty name calling like her type of emails) email stating so, requesting she either reimburse me or that I was going to cancel the ticket since it wasn't right. I did not uninvite her sister as she claimed in her email, I only asked that I not be the one to foot her bill.

As for the drinking, I honestly do not remember stating I would pay for it. I do know not to drink to excess even in my own home with a friend anymore in case they hold something against me. So if that's the big elephant, it's an obvious one - drinking is bad - as is a million other things in life...not like I was behind the wheels of a car, but I won't get defensive about it, it was my fault for drinking.

You also need to discuss this very issue in great detail with your straight up counselor. The "trip therapist" was way out of line starting a relationship of any sort with a client while that client was in therapy with them.

I am not the "trip therapist's" client/patient. She is a therapist, but not mine. I have my own therapist (who is on vacation until August unfortunately so I don't have her to discuss this issue to get guidance from). I got the advice to list travel destinations from my actual therapist, and it was the friend therapist who suggested we actually go on a trip after I told her what my therapist had talked to me about in our session. So I don't think she broke any laws considering she is not MY therapist.

I'm actually starting to feel very guilty today for my actions like I am causing her to miss out on a trip she really wants to go to. She paid for her own airline so that is going to be weird to see if she shows up to the airplane considering our seats ar booked next to each other. She'll have many hours on the plane to talk me into letting her stay with me in the suite otherwise she'd have nowhere to stay so I don't know how things are going to unfold yet.

• Author

She sent me a long very nasty and mean email telling me off and saying she now feels good after saying all those things. I took the high road and expressed how shocked I was that she would say those things to me, that all I wanted was a simple apology and wrote out exactly what she did that was wrong and used good language putting her in check.

Her email indicated that I wasn't successful in my plan to ruin her and her sister's trip! As if I was ever on a mission to. I pointed out that her sister's trip was never planned to begin with, that it was thought of and canceled within a day or two on my dime and I took a financial loss for canceling it.

So she's basically still going and has different lodgings to stay at. The painful part is that unless she called the airline to switch planes or seats, she is scheduled to sit next to me roundtrip. That would be hell. I just want this trip to be over with. I have a ride to pick me up at 4:50AM tomorrow to take to the airport. Wish me luck! Oh and now her sister is going too. Suddenly they found money not only to pay for her but to get their own hotel room too when before they couldn't afford to contribute to either. And this lady is a therapist!

Move up to 1st class and leave her behind.

:D

This is EXACTLY what you should do ! Great advice Jer...

Its entirely likely that both of them are hating on you right now and will do their best to have a good time and hurt you in the process.

See if you can get upgraded ( its going to cost you ) but WELL worth it to get first class seating. And use it as an expensive lesson reminder...

Let them hate and suck it up , avoid them , they aren't staying at the same hotel so its likely you wont see them AT ALL .....yipeeee !

And when you get back from your trip delete this hateful gf and her copart from everything you own.

Change your number if you have to , I am sure they are going to send sharp barbs. As a matter of fact change it tonight that way you enjoy the trip , never hear them taunting you and how good of a time they might be having.

Lesson learned , I hope :)