Motivating others in the workplace

How would you describe your style?

My motivating "style," if one can call it that, is that of an ass-buster. Actually, I lie. In reality, I am usually a "I will go off and do it myself because you totally suck" type of person. On the flipside, I am someone you can count on for "I will just avoid doing this in the passive-aggressive tradition, and you will give up asking me for it... eventually" tactics that will make you want to scream.

• Author
Storyrider

I'll bet when you do deliver though, you're like the prodigal son. They kill the fatted calf.

• Author
Storyrider

Back in the day, there was this developer from whom I had to get information all the time. (one of many) His software was this incredibly complicated, minutely detailed communications protocol that allowed data to be sent back and forth between companies in a standardized form. No one could understand all the algorithms and levels and acronyms and fields except for him. Nobody ever knew what he was doing or how he was doing it or how far along he was because it was too impossibly tangled and convoluted to grasp. He was constantly in the process of debugging it and upgrading it. It was a nightmare to document.

Anyway, every time I went into his cube to ask him a question, no matter what time of day, he would be sleeping. It was so embarrassing. He was hard to wake up, too.

• Author
Storyrider
Hahahahaha... your new job will be a breeze.

The amazing thing was, at the end of the day (figuratively speaking), I knew that thing backwards and forwards. It was awful.

Trialbyfire

Grrrr...he's a hacker pretending to be a developer. The complexity is to ensure for nap safety. :mad::laugh:

• Author
Storyrider
Grrrr...he's a hacker pretending to be a developer. The complexity is to ensure for nap safety. :mad::laugh:

Oh, the stories I could tell.

There was another developer who was always hot. Instead of arguing with his cube-mates about the thermostat, he would code without a shirt. He was really, really, hairy. Like gorilla hairy.

Once, one of my male officemates sent me down there, saying, X has a question for you, just so I could walk in on him like that, typing with no shirt on and just this rug of hair. Augh, my eyes!

MaxManwell

A sexi receptionist that we can tell of when we're angry and a meal wiht staff/company somewhere they have lingerie waitresses would be good fun too.

That would motivate me.

MaxManwell
Oh, the stories I could tell.

There was another developer who was always hot. Instead of arguing with his cube-mates about the thermostat, he would code without a shirt. He was really, really, hairy. Like gorilla hairy.

Once, one of my male officemates sent me down there, saying, X has a question for you, just so I could walk in on him like that, typing with no shirt on and just this rug of hair. Augh, my eyes!

I hope he got fired.

• Author
Storyrider
I hope he got fired.

No, he was actually a really good guy and, as far as I know, a good developer. If anything, the humor in situations like that is part of what kept me going to work every day.

(Not that I would ever take off my shirt at work. Lol)

Anyway, if you get asked to solve a particularly difficult scenario at work, just say, "I'll sleep on it... thanks." And then you can post on here, and get the real answer. It's easy to succeed when you know how.

Don't worry, we've got your back.

• Author
Storyrider
Anyway, if you get asked to solve a particularly difficult scenario at work, just say, "I'll sleep on it... thanks." And then you can post on here, and get the real answer. It's easy to succeed when you know how.

Don't worry, we've got your back.

Ha ha! Yes, that will get me ahead.