Motivating others in the workplace

• Author
Storyrider

:rolleyes::love:

I doubt they are as anal rigorous as you are.

You make a really good point that, although I don't have authority over them, I do have authority over the project, which is mandated from on high.

Great point. Not everybody gets it the first time. Think of your peers as children, because in many ways they exhibit the same behaviour. I find that repeating myself three times is the absolute minimum.

And what's this "mandated from on high" terminology? Sorry, but I'm not familiar with it. I guess I don't speak cool and happening. I'm just not that hood.

especially when it is mandated from on high.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I desperately needed conformation that I'm not entirely fruit and nuts.

• Author
Storyrider

Are you saying one can only mandate in the present tense?

Or is it that one must issue a mandate (noun).

Maybe I've been writing too many executive biographies. :o

(Google spell check didn't mind it...)

• Author
Storyrider
I think he is awestruck by the stylishness of your corporate prose.

If he was my boss, I think I'd be in a world of trouble. Starting with the fact that I'd have to guess what I did wrong before I could correct it.

Mandated from above, maybe. Mandated from up high, possibly. I occasionally turn my hotplate from on high to on simmer, but that would be a bit too wordy.

Sorry for all the trouble that I have caused on your thread. I wish the pain was all mine.

• Author
Storyrider

It seems I'm in excellent company.

From the Harvard Business Review:

Organizational change has traditionally come about through top-down initiatives such as hiring experts or importing best-of-breed practices. Such methods usually result in companywide rollouts of templates mandated from on high. These do little to get people excited.

http://www.hbsp.harvard.edu/hbsp/hbr/articles/article.jsp;jsessionid=JXIT5OUR5PKC2AKRGWDR5VQBKE0YIISW?ml_subscriber=true&articleID=R0505D&ml_action=get-executive-summary

• Author
Storyrider
You nailed it.

Well then it isn't a proofreading problem, it is a word-choice problem, with an overuse of corporate jargon?

Guilty as charged.

You nailed it.

I'm working my way onto nailing bigger, better and harder things.

Storyrider

From the Harvard Business Review:

Quote:

Organizational change has traditionally come about through top-down initiatives such as hiring experts or importing best-of-breed practices. Such methods usually result in companywide rollouts of templates mandated from on high. These do little to get people excited.

[COLOR=#990000]http://www.hbsp.harvard.edu/hbsp/hbr...cutive-summary[/COLOR]

Skillfully done Storyrider! Your linguistic competence is now officially legitimate.

No need to get all snooty. But I think it's pretty clear why you got the job, and my resume got filed for future shredding.

Never heard that one before. I'm so naive. I hope they don't leave me to fend for myself in the corporate jungle.

• Author
Storyrider
No need to get all snooty. But I think it's pretty clear why you got the job, and my resume got filed for future shredding.

Never heard that one before. I'm so naive. I hope they don't leave me to fend for myself in the corporate jungle.

:lmao: :lmao:

I hope you're laughing. I am.

And if you'd like an example from a more classic source:

Comparing angels to management is just plain wrong, baby. :bunny:

• Author
Storyrider
Praise be thy capacity to google linguistic phrases.

Amen.

Thanks Kamille. I actually am very happy to take correction from Nemo when it is due. I enjoy it, actually.

Stem cell research is where you belong. let the lawyers fight it out over who owns life and Story detangle all the appropriate religious-corporate jargon.

I hope you're laughing. I am.

I might start as soon as I figure out what "from on high" really means. Don't wait up for me.

• Author
Storyrider

In the mean time, I'm glad to have more advice on my original question. :)

In the mean time, I'm glad to have more advice on my original question. :)

like whoa, I was so on high I forgot what this thread was about man.

• Author
Storyrider
like whoa, I was so on high I forgot what this thread was about man.

:laugh: :laugh:

Part of my job will involve motivating peers to contribute to an ongoing project in a timely fashion. Just thought others might have some ideas.

Is your style anything like Tony Robbins?

• Author
Storyrider
Is your style anything like Tony Robbins?

Ha, ha. Nope. My style is unique. Hmm. Maybe more like Jane Austen meets Dilbert.

How would you describe your style?