Women, would you be upset with an inexpensive ring?

Most pearls sold today are "cultured", which means they are produced (naturally) under controlled conditions. Fresh water pearls generally are formed in a mussel and can be natural or cultured (most are the latter). High quality natural pearls are exceedingly rare and expensive. Even quality cultured saltwater pearls can be quite expensive. I think ladies look beautiful in pearls :)

Perhaps the lab sapphire comparison might be more appropriate.

They're not. They are REAL diamonds that are made in a machine - same exact process for creating a diamond, it's just sped up about 15,000x as fast.

Here's some info I found:

Diamond Nexus

Diamond Nexus gemstones are the result of a fairly new scientific advancement in processing technique, and have only recently been available in the United States.

Diamond Nexus gemstones are excellent diamond simulants and come very close to matching the properties of mined diamonds at many different comparison points. They cut glass, being virtually identical to diamond on the Mohs (hardness) scale. They refract perfect “hearts and arrows” and have radiance and brilliance readings extremely close to flawless diamond.

Best of all, they are currently introductory priced for the U.S. market, and are a steal at $79 per carat.

Diamond Nexus is only available from Diamond Nexus Labs at: http://www.DiamondNexusLabs.com

(A friend of mine has a ring set with one of their loose diamonds, and her jeweler could not tell that it was a man-made diamond!!!)

There's also Gemisis Diamonds, but they haven't been able to figure out a way to make white/colorless diamonds. But if you want pink or something, they're the way to go!!

Star, Diamond Nexus is a fraud - they sell cubic zirconia, but make it sound like they don't. I know there was a thread on it here at Loveshack, but you can Google Diamond Nexus and lies and get a link to an actual study done on their composition. Bottom line, it's CZ.

That info you found about how a jeweler couldn't tell the difference is a marketing plant by Diamond Nexus themselves to fool people.

And by the way, they give it away by saying the properties of their stones "come very close" to matching that of mined diamonds. If they were cultured diamonds, they would EXACTLY match the properties of mined diamonds because they are both diamonds. CZ, however is not and does come close to the properties, but not exactly.

Gemesis does sell cultured diamonds, but if you look online at the stores, they don't have much available for under $5000 dollars. Cultured diamonds are still as expensive as mined, because they technology is so expensive.

Edited by norajane

My engagement ring was a 2 ct. flawless princess cut diamond that cost $8000. When we were married, it was to fit in a guard that had diamonds down each side. Then I was going to have a wedding ring with diamonds all the way around it. It was blinding, literally, when light hit it. And gee, guess what, I broke the engagement after a year and gave the ring back. He wasn't the one. I would rather be crazy in love, with someone I truly wanted to be with, regardless of what jewelry I was presented with. What you have now works with your situation, and there's no reason to incur unnecessary debt over it worsening your situation. Would I be happy with the cheapest ring in the store? Probably not, but there's no reason you couldn't get another one later when finances are better. He did what he could when he could. Try not to focus so much on appearances and focus on what he means to you and what you have together. It is no business of anyone else what your ring looks like or how big it is. Tell them to butt out. Good for them if theirs is bigger than yours. What's to say they won't be divorced sooner rather than later, and your marriage will be going strong through the decades?

I Luv the Chariot OH

I don't know, but my boyfriend paid more than that for a promise ring for me on our anniversary, so :o

I was just suprised by the reactions of some of my friends and family members.

Reactions often show people's true colors. So now you know that some of your friends and family members are materialistic and pretentious jerks. You may have known that already, but hey ...

I think your BF sounds like a good guy, and you sound like you love him, so who cares what other people think? Not sure how your friend who has a CZ ring thinks she can look down on you.

My fiance chose my ring, and I knew he would never let me choose my own. To him it was like an offering, and that he should know me well enough to be able to choose something that I would like.

In actual fact, he showed me the ring he had bought me when I dragged him around a jewellery store, dropping hints and I said I didn't like it :eek: so you can imagine what an idiot I felt when he finally gave it to me.

Of course, I loved it- and it was nice to not have to choose I am a very indecisive person.

My ring is actually probably more expensive than what I would have chosen for myself, because I would have issues spending that much money on a piece of jewellery especially as we are saving for a house.

I would have been angry if he had put it on credit too. He got a bonus at work, and had saved up some money.

To him it was like an offering, and that he should know me well enough to be able to choose something that I would like.

That's how I feel. If I get some weird looking ring, weird shape in yellow gold or something (totally NOT my taste), that will upset me more than the size or cost.

Well,

This thread has sort of inspired me to go buy me an engagement ring.

Because I live in fantasyland and I'd like to be engaged.

So I'd make believe I'm engaged to Denver guy...which in a spiritual way I am and I don't care to date anyone else either.

I like this ring from walmart (pic) that is inexpensive but still has a diamond and is pretty. Everyone would think I'm engaged and I'd tell them I am. So cool!

It's ok to hate the ring and love the guy. If it embarasses you then it's going to be something you will worry about. Hard situation, he sounds like a good guy, bless him.......

This is what I don't get about these situations, how is it that a guy who knows a woman well enough to ask her to spend the rest of her life with him as his wife not know what her style is. My SO, who is not in to fashion, clothing or jewelry AT ALL knows exactly what I would like and what is my style and what isn't.

Trialbyfire

I'm guessing that with some women, they don't express their preferences clearly. Also, some men, like some women, aren't very sensitive to their SOs needs, or simply don't listen.

I'm guessing that with some women, they don't express their preferences clearly. Also, some men, like some women, aren't very sensitive to their SOs needs, or simply don't listen.

Right, but by engagement time you've seen your SO A LOT and spent a great deal of time with them, probably have gone shopping together. By that time a man should have an idea of what his beloved likes.

Trialbyfire
Right, but by engagement time you've seen your SO A LOT and spent a great deal of time with them, probably have gone shopping together. By that time a man should have an idea of what his beloved likes.

I don't disagree, although I'd rather watch paint dry, than drag a reluctant man shopping.

Well,

This thread has sort of inspired me to go buy me an engagement ring.

Because I live in fantasyland and I'd like to be engaged.

So I'd make believe I'm engaged to Denver guy...which in a spiritual way I am and I don't care to date anyone else either.

I like this ring from walmart (pic) that is inexpensive but still has a diamond and is pretty. Everyone would think I'm engaged and I'd tell them I am. So cool!

Congratulations on your engagement Ariadne, and I love the ring.

I browsed and looked at a few of them and it turns out that my favorite one is 79$ !!!. Yes, I'm very into delicate, although I don't really have delicate hands so it probably wouldn't look too great on me.

Trialbyfire

I browsed and looked at a few of them and it turns out that my favorite one is 79$ !!!. Yes, I'm very into delicate, although I don't really have delicate hands so it probably wouldn't look too great on me.

I can't help but imagine a guy saying, well, you don't have delicate hands so I picked this other ring instead. The solitaire is shaped just so, so that it suits the shape and length of your hands. :lmao:

More than anything, if you ladies have a need in mind, express it. Otherwise, good luck on getting what you want, although some do get lucky, in that their SOs have decent taste. Expensive doesn't always equate to tasteful.

I can't help but imagine a guy saying, well, you don't have delicate hands so I picked this other ring instead. The solitaire is shaped just so, so that it suits the shape and length of your hands. :lmao:

:lmao: "Honey, I know you had the .4 carat white gold ring in mind, but don't you think this 3K gazoonka will look better on your chunky fingers? Now, will you marry me?"

Trialbyfire
:lmao: "Honey, I know you had the .4 carat white gold ring in mind, but don't you think this 3K gazoonka will look better on your chunky fingers? Now, will you marry me?"

"Dahling, your taste is so divine. Of course I'll marry you! Mwha, Mwha. Oh, must dash. My manicurist will be so annoyed since I'm 2 hours late. Ta, ta."

Hey guys, is this realistic? :laugh:

You might be surprised how many men don't want to guess and prefer to know.

Duck n' Bunnies

I usually read other's responses before I type but I want to give my first immediate reaction.

Personally... I don't have alot of money either... and neither does my boyfriend of almost 4 years. To be completely honest... together we have about 50 thousand dollars debt between school and cars, etc.

Yes, I would be offended if he bought me a cheap ring... why? Well, I would be wearing it for the rest of my life, and I would like it to be original, and not something that someone else once wore, or that was in the bargain bin at Big Bens Jewlery on the corner.

Im not a greedy person when it comes to other things, but when it comes to this particular piece of jewlery... I believe that its something a guy should SAVE UP for... I mean...hes asking for you to live with him for the rest of his life... whats 10 or 15 dollars out of each paycheck as an investment? I don't really think it's much, and even I (who makes hardly NO money) could spare that with all my payments on top of that. If he can't invest in a ring, how can he invest in anything?

Maybe I just sound like a big meanie, I don't know... but I would like a lot of thought and dedication when looking into something thats going to be strapped to my body till the day I die... You only get one official proposal ring. So yeah... I would be somewhat appauled.

Duck n' Bunnies

I should probably add that I'd never give him anything cheap either. If I give a gift of jewlery, I make sure it was worth the buy... Id rather have 2 pieces of very expenisve LOVELY jewlery, then 20 pieces of cheap gawdy jewlery.

Hehe

I've been thinking about it..

I'm still on time to order it and get it by April 13th.

That is the day that he got engaged to the ex gf (06), and that is the last day that I heard from him.

I got an email from him that morning telling me he was going for a bike ride, and that was the last I heard from him.

So I'll become engaged to him that day too. Because I wish it was me the one he got engaged to.

But then, even I think that is a little bit too crazy (and I have a high scale for that).

I'd be engaged to him forever, never dating anyone, and it's going to be a spiritual engagement. :love:

See what I decide.

And I know the one you mean, it must be the one that shows at the bottom of the one I chose. I like it too. Kind of small but it has a nice shape to it.

I agreed with Ariadne on her earlier post..When i first read your post..it seems to me like you are trying to convince yourself that you do not mind about the price of the ring while in fact it bothers you too much. It is like you are having a war inside urself.. and you are seeking comfort and to confirm your thinking of having a cheap ring doesn't matter at all... You should seek inner peace and sort yourself out..if you have done so..words from other people should not have hurt you as much.

As for my taste...

My bf brought me to a Jewellry shop to understand what my taste is.. after a few minutes..he said "you have pretty cheap taste" then gives a comfort laugh..=.=''' WHY? Bcos i choose ring that is 300-400 $ but those are the only one i love as they are cute and girly look ^^... and somehow..it jus end up cheap..=S i even told him..i dislike ring that has big rock on it..as it is jus not my taste..its too..i dunno..ugly and too common..=S (i am weird i guess)

Am sure and know my bf can afford an expensive one but i see no point in it (why forced myself to wear those "not my taste ring")...why get a ring just to show off to the world? I live in an environment where everyone is so materialistic and put everyone down so that they feel good about themselves..and i see how much pain it caused to people. I dun care what people think..i love to live simple and just be happy..No use dealing with those people..life too short..by the end of the day.. happiness is what matter ..^^

P.S.The feeling of him putting that ring into my finger is what counts...*drool* Having said that...i will have to wait for about a week before he move in to the country where i am living now..and make an "official" proposal..MUAHAHAHA (no idea what he choose but I hope its cute~~ ^~*)

*off to think of idea on how to tease him when he propose xD*

GOOD LUCK.

Edited by iSmiley

I have never owned a diamond and I am married.

So... I would have to say no, I would not be upset in the least. I wanted the money to go towards buying the house. There are more important things in life than diamonds. I mean, sure they are pretty. But, what do they do in a practical manner?

Those women friends of yours make the gender look bad. If they do not understand that this man is working to support his child with no help from the mother, and not making tons of money, then I feel sorry for their husbands or future ex-husbands.

Give me love, honor and respect... money can't buy that. :)

Be proud that you have a good man.

Just to tell you, you can NOT get a good 1.5 c diamond ring for $2000 unless it's fake or a really ugly cut like... maybe you could get a borderline 1 c. So I think your previous Fiance either had good connections or was full of ****...

And yes, unless your guy is very very bad off, $300 is a little too little. I'm a college student and work but I have a special cash savings for my GF's ring... I've already got $300 and someone (her actually) owes me another $200 for a plane ticket... By the time I get engaged, hopefully in December, I should have at least $1000-1200 which can buy an OK .55 c... But my GF would be fine with a $300 ring too. That's why I want to buy her something better...

Just depends on you. You should be happy that you are engaged, but yeah it is you that has to wear it for the rest of your life and $300 is very little.... Unless he is a complete "I hate the world and its stupid traditions" type, he should have put a little more effort... peace

EDIT: I reread your 2nd paragraph. You should definitely give the guy a break. And cz sucks; tell her that those are really ugly and gaudy and dont look nearly as good as the real thing.

Edited by j_hunt_12
  • Author
I agreed with Ariadne on her earlier post..When i first read your post..it seems to me like you are trying to convince yourself that you do not mind about the price of the ring while in fact it bothers you too much. It is like you are having a war inside urself.. and you are seeking comfort and to confirm your thinking of having a cheap ring doesn't matter at all... You should seek inner peace and sort yourself out..if you have done so..words from other people should not have hurt you as much.

I think you are right. THe more I thought about it- the reason certain friends and my sister saying those things bothered me so much is maybe I agree with them in a way. I love my fiance, and I want to marry him and thats all that matters. But truthfully, yes, I hate the ring. When I went to pick it up from the jewelry store because I had it sized I didn't even want to put it on when the lady asked me to try it on. There were other couples there picking out rings and they were all beautiful rings. I had to wait about twenty minutes in line and I was looking at other rings while I was there. Honestly, Its not really the price of the ring that bothers me because I saw other engagement rings there that were just a little bit more than the $300 he paid for my ring that I liked much better and I have this three stone past present future ring that cost only $199 and I LOVE this ring and the perfect engagement ring would have been this exact same ring in white gold (mine is yellow gold) and it would have cost LESS than what my fiance paid for the current ring.

I just don't like the current ring, I have small hands but this ring has such a thin band and the stone is so tiny that it makes my finger look chubby. I dont' need a big diamond or even want one but I'd rather have a ring that I at least like. I am beginning to think money wasn't the issue when he bought it because just this weekend he wrote out a check for the entire amount of the hall rental for our reception (and this cost more than 3 times what he paid for my engagement ring (around $1000). To give him some credit he never had any hints from me as to what type of ring I would like because I didn't have any idea he was going to propose. And at the same time he wasn't sure if I would say yes, so maybe he just picked up the first ring he could find. I don't know. I guess I'm bothered because in planning our wedding it feels like my fiance is more excited that HE's getting married than the fact that he's marrying me. He doesn't seem to take many of my ideas and feelings into consideration in this whole wedding planning process.

We went to look a reception hall on saturday and they had two dates open. We picked one of them as a tentative day and I told him we weren't going to reserve the hall until I looked at other places. It was ok , but I had a place in mind that I loved. Well he kept pressuring me about how it might be too late and everything so that night I just told him to reserve it and picked the date (I picked the later date Sept. 27th so we'd have more time. (the choices were sept. 6th or 27th.) originally my fiance wanted to get married Sept 13th but that date wasn't available. Well he came back from signing the paper work (get this, the hall is RIGHT next door to his apartment!) and he siad he got it for sept. 13th! that it was a misprint on their books that it was taken. I never wanted to get married on the 13th (our anniversary could end up being friday the 13th ha ha) So I asked him to change it. Well last night I get a call from his 8 yr old son demanding to know why I wouldn't get married on Sept. 13th and thats when HE and his dad want us to get married. I was really annoyed that he'd told his son this.

And to top it off, my fiance told his son's mother when the reception was and where it was (she asked) this is his ex that he wouldn't even tell her we were getting married (see other thread) but his son told her and now she wants to know when it is because she thinks she is invited!! Well she is NOT invited and my fiance already said this but he just told her where and when it is and she said she is going. I do not want her there and I almost told him last night if he does not let her know she is not invited there is not going to be a wedding. This is an ex that has caused nothing but hell for my fiance and she has neglected their son. She won't even be civil to me when I am around so there is no way she is coming to our reception. His parents are driving me crazy too, they want to invite their one son's inlaws to the wedding!! THey keep adding more and more people to the list- THEIR friends from work, relatives my fiance hasn't seen since he was 5 years old, people that have met his son once or twice and have thought he was cute, the list goes on. I am putting my foot down and telling him we can each invite 60 people and no more. My parents are paying for the catering and I'm not going to burden them because his parents want to invite friends of friends or their kids inlaws.

I'm probably freaking out a little too much about all this but I've had a rough weekend, someone scratched my NEW car in a parking lot with a shopping cart (big long scratch down half the passenger side) and one of my dogs died this weekend and my hot water heater sprung a leak and had to be cleaned up and replaced. So its been a long weekend!!:o

rdy2explode

if you love someone, the cost of the ring shouldnt even enter into it. who cares if its a diamond or a lollipop.