Take out your piercings, damn it!

...why hire someone so indiscreet when there are plenty of candidates who know better?

Because they'd be good at the position? :D

It's illegal to racially discriminate in that the discriminated can pursue legal means to compensate. It's not illegal to demand professionalism from your employees or prospectives.

"Professionalism" is a subjective, sliding scale. And at least in this case, I think it was FAR too harsh.

Because they'd be good at the position? :D

Being a good receptionist doesn't require a brain surgeon's talents... There are plenty of discreet people who can do the job.

Being a good receptionist doesn't require a brain surgeon's talents...

God, I want to argue this- IMO, a good receptionist is worth twice that of a middle of the road CEO!

"Professionalism" is a subjective, sliding scale. And at least in this case, I think it was FAR too harsh.

It's not your call. It's the call of the company who was hiring. You can take any stance that everyone should have every personal freedom and ensure that's what you do, on your next job interview. But...it won't help anyone else from getting a job in a conservative business or firm. Discretion and professionalism are associated to realistically selling yourself as an asset to a conservative firm.

God, I want to argue this- IMO, a good receptionist is worth twice that of a middle of the road CEO!

Methinks you're in the mood to argue anything. :laugh:

This makes me want to actively not hire women who wear stupid hokey sweaters, men who wear ugly ties, and both sexes who wear too much scent. Because I think all these things are unprofessional.

We are not talking about an ugly tie here.. and a woman who dresses inappropriately in the workplace won't get hired either.. or she will get fired..

You cannot just do whatever you want in the workplace.. there are rules, dress codes and boundaries that have to be met.

Something tells me that if you owned or ran a company and were responsible for putting paychecks in peoples pockets for their labors I'll bet anything you might have a different opinion..

It's not your call. It's the call of the company who was hiring. You can take any stance that everyone should have every personal freedom and ensure that's what you do, on your next job interview. But...it won't help anyone else from getting a job in a conservative business or firm. Discretion and professionalism are associated to realistically selling yourself as an asset to a conservative firm.

Judging on looks is so immaterial for professionalism. We had a very professional looking girl working here- until she had an affair with our MOST professional looking sales guy, then used the company credit card to run up thousands of dollars in personal charges. Obviously she got fired (almost arrested) and he quit not long after.

Ironically, they didn't want to give me a credit card after over a year and a half working here- gave her one after a few weeks... oops! Wrong decision!

(I finally got my own card too, hehe)

Methinks you're in the mood to argue anything. :laugh:

Oh, sorry I'm not erring on the side of being conservative. :eek:

I really do believe this is a load of stinking bull.

Judging on looks is so immaterial for professionalism. We had a very professional looking girl working here- until she had an affair with our MOST professional looking sales guy, then used the company credit card to run up thousands of dollars in personal charges. Obviously she got fired (almost arrested) and he quit not long after.

Ironically, they didn't want to give me a credit card after over a year and a half working here- gave her one after a few weeks... oops! Wrong decision!

(I finally got my own card too, hehe)

Hiring is multi-fold. You hire for professional image, competence, ethics, etc. It's always a crapshoot whether the person makes it or not. Why hire for two out of the ten requirements? If you do, it won't limit your chances for a lack of ethics or a better employee.

Hiring is multi-fold. You hire for professional image, competence, ethics, etc. It's always a crapshoot whether the person makes it or not. Why hire for two out of the ten requirements? If you do, it won't limit your chances for a lack of ethics or a better employee.

Why NOT hire for 9 out of 10?

We are not talking about an ugly tie here.. and a woman who dresses inappropriately in the workplace won't get hired either.. or she will get fired..

You cannot just do whatever you want in the workplace.. there are rules, dress codes and boundaries that have to be met.

People are often allowed to dress very business casual these days, all over the place, with no repurcussions. BUT if they were to come into an interview with just a small deviation, it counts against them very disproportionately.

I guess it isn't hard to figure out that she has a tongue piercing :laugh:

Actually, I have no piercings except my earslobes, and no tattoos.

If you can get 10/10, why settle?

Finding someone to meet ALL the requirements of a job is rare. All I'm saying is there is too much weight given to certain things- like how a tongue piercing can negate plenty of experience, and a professional manner.

Finding someone to meet ALL the requirements of a job is rare. All I'm saying is there is too much weight given to certain things- like how a tongue piercing can negate plenty of experience, and a professional manner.

Since I've hired a lot of staff in the past, it's not so difficult to do. Most people know better than to show up to an interview with a tongue or facial piercing.

• Author

Woah what controversy. IMO if you can see her piercing at the interview, clients will be able to see it as well. Our firm deals with A LOT of elderly clients (hey, I live in FL, ok?) and I know for a fact that they wouldn't like that one little bit and they would probably have no problem telling our managing partner about the look of the receptionist.

But she was well qualified in all other areas, so it was a bummer for me stuck in front desk land.

But she was well qualified in all other areas, so it was a bummer for me stuck in front desk land.

This is the part that sucks.... also that we have to wait for people to die before acceptable trends can move forward. :laugh:

Most people know better than to show up to an interview with a tongue or facial piercing.

How true.. the other thing people miss is the email addy that they put on their resumes.. [email protected] gets the resume thrown in the trash..

With free email available to everyone there is no reason for a juvenile email addy.

We had one girl show up for an interview here and she had her BF wait in the lobby while she was interviewing..

He was awful.. unbathed and a mess.. smelled like cig smoke.. what a bad mistake that was.. she was okay but having her BF there looking like that didn't win her any smart points..

• Author

Some people are really dumb when it comes to interviews. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make a good first impression, and first impressions go a long way.

Since I've hired a lot of staff in the past, it's not so difficult to do. Most people know better than to show up to an interview with a tongue or facial piercing.

I'd prefer just to have hardworking, intelligent employees- some of the "professional looking" folks I have to work with are near useless.

If someone seems great except for a little piercing, I say take a chance, and tell Grandma that "so-and-so's an excellent worker" when she complains.

We had one girl show up for an interview here and she had her BF wait in the lobby while she was interviewing..

He was awful.. unbathed and a mess.. smelled like cig smoke.. what a bad mistake that was.. she was okay but having her BF there looking like that didn't win her any smart points..

Oh cmon, this is WAY worse than a piercing. :laugh: :laugh: ;)

How true.. the other thing people miss is the email addy that they put on their resumes.. [email protected] gets the resume thrown in the trash..

With free email available to everyone there is no reason for a juvenile email addy.

Hahaha...I've never seen an email address quite that juvenile, although there was one girl who included a pic of herself modeling lingerie. :lmao:

Common sense FTW!!

If someone seems great except for a little piercing, I say take a chance, and tell Grandma that "so-and-so's an excellent worker" when she complains.

Economics.. The customers makes the rules.. We do those things because it is good for business..

Telling Grandma So and So anything or even giving her a reason to complain means she speaks by taking her All Mighty Dollar to your competitor..