Everybody Knows Christ

Moose, I think these girls probably HAVE repented, just not in front of you. Biblically, you only have to repent to God and the person offended (if applicable), right? A public apology may not be neccessary. The church does not exclude sinners, or no one would be able to attend! Would you want the girls kicked out?

Our galaxy is 150,000 light years across. In fact, this news won't reach the clostest galaxy to Earth for another 1,999,998,000 light years. = or - 3 million light years.
In time, the milky way galaxy and the Andraomeda galaxy will merge, and that delay will decrease significantly.

I think what you mean by "humble" is you suggest that I turn my brain off and accept the things that what men who knew less about Nature than a modern elementary school student claimed is unassailable truth. I should ignore virtually every discovery in anthropology, geology, biology, physics, chemistry, medicine, hydrodynamics, statics, et al in favor of your book--or I will be punished forever. And this situation exists because god loves me.
anthropology, geology, biology, physics, chemistry, medicine, hydrodynamics, statics all have one thing in common. They are all partial theories. Wouldn't a complete theory encompass everything?

In understanding the vastness of space alone, I realize that I am a tiny speck that will exist for the equivalent of a nanosecond in the grand scheme of things, and that the Universe itself (and everything in it, save my family and friends) is indifferent to my existence. In the face of such a reality my life, my joys and my sorrows fade into insignificance--less than that, even.
Considering the vastness of space, wouldn't that make this world, and the life here that much more interesting.

I am not so arrogant that I can ignore the hard work and persecution that men far more intelligent and brave than I discerned for my benefit even though they didn't even know me. These men bettered the human condition with no consideration for me as an individual; rather, they hoped to better the lives of everyone everywhere as well as satisfy their unquenchable curiosity.
Maybe they are great men or maybe they are fools.

I stand in awe and humility in the face of such awesome accompishments. How can you not, especially considering you enjoy the benefits as much as I? You reject all that in favor of your little book, and don't even bother to understand any of what these men sacrificed their entire lives to give you.
What sacrifice? Didn't they indulge in their own interests?

Maybe if you read "A Brief History of Time", you would have an appreciation for the fallability of these scientists. There was a great deal of resistance for the idea of an expanding universe. An expanding universe was a changing universe, and a static universe is what the athiests wanted. There was also a great deal of resistance on the idea of the universe and time having a begining. They wanted perpetual existence instead of creation.

How would you know if rejecting Christ is a big step forward? big step backward? More assumptions?

In time, the milky way galaxy and the Andraomeda galaxy will merge, and that delay will decrease significantly.

Yep. That is going to happen in 5 billion years or something like that.

anthropology, geology, biology, physics, chemistry, medicine, hydrodynamics, statics all have one thing in common. They are all partial theories. Wouldn't a complete theory encompass everything?

They do encompass everything. They all fit together rather neatly, actually. I do not know what you mean about an all-encompassing theory beyond that.

Considering the vastness of space, wouldn't that make this world, and the life here that much more interesting.

I think it is, since I am here and enjoy life. But I don't take it all that seriously, since in the grand scheme of things it is meaningless in that sense. Hence meanging being determined by the individual.

Maybe they are great men or maybe they are fools.

I doubt they are fools, as they have evidence for what they assert. Maybe someday they could be proven to eb wrong, but there isnothing foolish about being wrong. The odds of tha are slim in any case.

What sacrifice? Didn't they indulge in their own interests?

Yes, they did, but that doesn't mean that they didn't face adversity. Didn't your parents "sacrifice" things for you when you were growing up? And didn't you benefit? It's the same thing. Even doing something that you love doing requires sacrifice.

Maybe if you read "A Brief History of Time", you would have an appreciation for the fallability of these scientists.

I don't need to read anything to realize that humans are fallible. Steven Hawking is fallible, to. That is why we experiment and rely on evidence.

There was a great deal of resistance for the idea of an expanding universe.

So?

An expanding universe was a changing universe, and a static universe is what the athiests wanted.

What? What do you mean "what the atheists wanted"? Do you really think that atheists get together and decide what model of the Uninverse males atheism more tenable? Do you realize that most of the men who demonstrate our current model of the Universe are atheists--and the ones that aren't ACT like atheists when they do science? Or do youthink that the opinion of your local pastor is equal to theirs?

There was also a great deal of resistance on the idea of the universe and time having a begining. They wanted perpetual existence instead of creation.

No, "they" didn't. "They" wanted to know exactly what happened. And they are still trying to find out. And we get closer every day. Notice, no reputable scinetist anywhere believes that Genesis is true, even remotely.

How would you know if rejecting Christ is a big step forward? big step backward? More assumptions?

I know rejecting Jesus (and all god-belief) is a big step forward because science works. Looking at the world as naturalistic and having natural explanations works better than superstition.

What about accepting Islam? Step forward? Step back?