When they ask, "what are your worst traits?"

If you tell them you don't have any faults, the interviewer will write down...arrogant or cocky.

Just tell them that you're a perfectionist. You like to do a great job no matter what. Sometimes this causes you a little extra work but you find the end result more satisfying.

Now THIS is what I say too ! :) Great advice...

:lmao:Oh, and this would be what the Drama Queen at work would say : " Oh I promise to kiss your behind and tell you everything all the employees are doing while I tout myself as the best worker ever and no~one could even come close ! I do tend to get upset alot and scream " ...um because I am a borderline lunatic " ..." ( not that this had much to do with the interview process but if she could she might say something like the above for her new employer ) lol. okay back to subject :p

If you lie at your interview, then how can you expect to be happy where you work? It's not like the interviewer is not going to eventually find out what the real answer is once you're hired.

When I was asked that question I answered that I tend to take long lunch breaks and that I am either really good or really bad under pressure depending on the circumstances, something along those lines. I knew my strengths way outweighed my bad traits so if they weren't goig to hire me based on a few bad things about myself, then I would think it would be their loss.

If you lie at your interview, then how can you expect to be happy where you work? It's not like the interviewer is not going to eventually find out what the real answer is once you're hired.

When I was asked that question I answered that I tend to take long lunch breaks and that I am either really good or really bad under pressure depending on the circumstances, something along those lines. I knew my strengths way outweighed my bad traits so if they weren't goig to hire me based on a few bad things about myself, then I would think it would be their loss.

I have to totally disagree with this one. At the time of the interview, they don't KNOW that your good traits outweigh your bad traits. YOU might know that, but they don't...so they're not going to see it the way you're seeing it.

Another thing is you're saying that you're aware that you take long lunch breaks....and yet you keep doing it. This shows that you don't work on correcting your weaknesses.

By saying that you're either really good or really bad under pressure, you've got them thinking "Hmmmm.....if we have a deadline for one of our top accounts, how would we know if we're going to get her during a time she's good under pressure or bad under pressure?"

Employers would rather have constancy than anything else. They'd rather have someone always good under pressure or always bad under pressure. This helps them assign duties more efficiently. They don't like loose cannons.

Those things might be true about you (and I'd definately work on them pronto if I were you), but you don't want them to know that at this point in the game. And yes, unfortunately....it IS a game.

Just out of interest, did you get the job Fun2BMe?

I am not sure I would be happy about employing someone who gave those answers.

In my line of work, if someone has a long lunch break, that throws the entire day out, and I need someone to be calm at all times even under pressure, as in my line of work you absolutely can't panic if things start going wrong.

In my most recent interview i was asked that exact question, and my mind went completely blank.

I said something along the lines of

"I know my clinical limitations, and I know when to ask a superior for help with a procedure I might find challenging, which can actually be a strength as well because it means you are less likely to make irreversible mistakes, causing harm to the patient."

Then I hummed and hawwed and thought i had totally fluffed the interview.

I got the job though, start Monday. :)

There are loads of websites that tell you how to answer this kind of question, and I think most of them say to start with a weakness and turn it into a strength. (I think this is what TBF and Touche and others have been saying as well)

Don't memorise answers though, if they sound recited they won't sound sincere.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, as a supervisor who has read many, many cover letters, resumes, conducted inverviews, offered coffee, hung coats, etc., here is My 2 Cents...

Touche, you do come across as hostile and touchy. You attacked directx in an over-the-top, I-forgot-to-take-my medication-today manner.

directx, you backed down and did not stand behind what your response. Why?

I much preferred directx's response, as I someone who has hired, fired, conducted interviews, trained, etc., etc., etc. I have always hated baby-sitting, so I definitely don't want to do it in the work place. I hire people who are confident team players. That means they learn about what flies and doesn't fly with me and I learn what motivates them to give me their best work. I need someone who can make decisions and stand behind them without crossing the fine line of taking over. I will support their decisions as long as they and do their job and I am confident that they are supporting me. Once we trust one another, I go out of my way to cover their mistakes and I find that my workers cover me, too.

Also, no one wants to work for an insecure person who wants everything run passed them before it can be acted upon, which is why I typically hate working for women. In the rare occassion that I have worked for a secure woman, it has been a joy, but very rare, as I stated. Since I am a woman, I make a conscious effort not to be over-bearing (who needs another mother?). Learning that others often make decisions I would not have made was an important lesson for me. I have to regard a few things, though: did it hurt the company? Did the job get down? Did I clearly state that certain elements needed to be handled a particular way? If it was just a matter of different choices being made and no harm was done, then I pat my person on the back and let them know I appreciate their work. As a result, when I leave a company, I always have people asking if their is an opening where I am because they would love to work for me again.

"Always tell the truth it's the easiest thing to remember."

I have a habit of laughing at other people's misfortunes so long as they don't get hurt too badly. Like someone *cough* my roommate *cough* slipping and falling on ice and making an amusing sound as he hit the ground. But, I'm considerate enough not to point and laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a young one- so sometimes when im asked what my weakness is, i sometimes say " my age"

and i say it like " my age because i do not have as much experience as others and am sometimes expected to not be as good." but then i turn it into a positive saying that I don't have as much experience so im very trainable and will learn the way they want me to learn. Plus i am always wanting to try and learn new things to excel in my career....

• 3 weeks later...
If you tell them you don't have any faults, the interviewer will write down...arrogant or cocky.

Just tell them that you're a perfectionist. You like to do a great job no matter what. Sometimes this causes you a little extra work but you find the end result more satisfying.

It works everytime...

I didn't read all the posts, but I get asked this and I always say, very seriously, "Well, I tend to be a bit of a workaholic. It has cost me a bit of my social life because I just throw myself so much into what I am working on."

Who wouldn't want to hire a workaholic who would sacrifice some of their personal time for the benefit of everyone else?

Might be bad for you, but good for them! Believe me, when it was 9pm and a coworker had to get a project done and I gave up a Friday night to help him, or went way above and beyond my own duties in other areas, everyone was like, "you really don't have to do that!" But there is a reason they completely appreciate it as well.