When they ask, "what are your worst traits?"

No, I would avoid specifics. The concept of my rewrite, is that you do make mistakes but learn from them and are humble enough to acknowledge that you're not perfect.

Hi Goddesses!

Everytime I read about how to handle yourself on interviews, the more it seems how much of an exercise it is to see how well you can talk baloney in telling someone what they want to hear.

It's all such a farce.

Finally something I can agree with you on! I'll bet you're surprised I'm saying that. But I absolutely agree. I have found out in life that about 75% of what it takes to succeed depends on how well you can BS. At least that's been my observation.

It was the same in college. I remember writing papers that I believed were complete and utter BS, (as far as my point of view/analysis) but I knew that's what the professor was looking for. I'd sometimes purposefully play devil's advocate, taking a stance I didn't really believe in, so that my paper stood out from what I thought everyone everyone else's was going to be about.

That's how life is. It applies to so many situations too. I could go on and on about this.

If you ever saw the movie "Chicago" there's a song in there that absolutely describes what I'm talking about. Follow the advice in the song and you'll be successful....no kidding! Here are the lyrics:

Give 'em the old razzle dazzle

Razzle Dazzle 'em

Wow! Touche and I are IN AGREEMENT!

I should start a thread...

And what she says is true about putting on an act.

You people would NOT believe what my work situation is now.

I literally do about 2 hours of work a week.

I had a mid-year review and I was expecting having to explain myself how little I do, but instead I was told to keep up exactly what I have been doing.

I also remember at my first full time job where I was BUSTING my butt, but no one seemed to notice. So then I prioritized high visibility projects that took little or no effort.

I got so much notice it screwed me up with my approach on work. Sad.

*shrugs*

Is it b/s or is it a different way to present a truth? Your cup can be half empty or half full. It's up to you.

To get an opportunity to prove yourself, you need to get the job. As long as you're not lying about what you're capable of delivering, there's no problems with patter.

Wow! Touche and I are IN AGREEMENT!

I should start a thread...

And what she says is true about putting on an act.

You people would NOT believe what my work situation is now.

I literally do about 2 hours of work a week.

I had a mid-year review and I was expecting having to explain myself how little I do, but instead I was told to keep up exactly what I have been doing.

I also remember at my first full time job where I was BUSTING my butt, but no one seemed to notice. So then I prioritized high visibility projects that took little or no effort.

I got so much notice it screwed me up with my approach on work. Sad.

Start a thread. This is a very interesting subject. I liked your examples (this time;)) Yep, that's exactly what I've learned in life. Most of it is utter BS. But you gotta play the game if you want to get anywhere. And nowhere in life is that more true than in the corporate world:sick: But I have found that it also applies in the world of academia:sick:

• Author

Interviewers do it all the time...well, that's life!

Learn the trade or be at the bottom of the food chain :bunny:

Interviewers do it all the time...well, that's life!

Learn the trade or be at the bottom of the food chain :bunny:

What do you mean "interviewers do it all the time?" Do you mean they BS about the job? If that's what you mean, you're right. Happens all the time. They make promises regarding "growth" within the company, they puff up the job description, make the benefits sound better than they really are, etc. etc.

*shrugs*

Is it b/s or is it a different way to present a truth? Your cup can be half empty or half full. It's up to you.

To get an opportunity to prove yourself, you need to get the job. As long as you're not lying about what you're capable of delivering, there's no problems with patter.

I agree with the last part. I don't think one should outright lie. BS/different way to present the truth..same thing in my eyes.

"Impatience." It sometimes frustrates me if, for some reason, I can't get something done in the time I've set for myself, regardless of outside influences affecting it. But most of all, it makes me hard on myself.

• Author
What do you mean "interviewers do it all the time?" Do you mean they BS about the job? If that's what you mean, you're right. Happens all the time. They make promises regarding "growth" within the company, they puff up the job description, make the benefits sound better than they really are, etc. etc.

Yep, that and more. Pretentiousness = professionalism. I think everybody (entrepreneurs included) would like to claim they work for a grand company that's going places, perhaps accepting a lie would rather suit them than facing the facts. The world and major corporations are built on dreams - small dreams, big dreams, and even employees who dream of going places and making it big. And if they make a believer out of you, they will be the one reaping the benefits - and if they cant keep their promises to you, you're on the short end of the stick.

This reminds me quite a bit about pyramid schemes...

And the show called 'Apprentice' where each candidate sits in front of Donald and try to market themselves the best possible way with such ...talk.

I agree with the last part. I don't think one should outright lie. BS/different way to present the truth..same thing in my eyes.

In a career situation, it's all about truthful spin. Either work with it or don't work. ;)

The best motto that I've tried to work with, is to promise less and deliver more.

In a career situation, it's all about truthful spin. Either work with it or don't work. ;)

The best motto that I've tried to work with, is to promise less and deliver more.

The promise less/deliver more thing really works like a charm! So true. People are used to things being the other way around so any time you can deliver more than promised, you will really WOW them. And falling under that category is finishing a project well before the deadline.

The promise less/deliver more thing really works like a charm! So true. People are used to things being the other way around so any time you can deliver more than promised, you will really WOW them. And falling under that category is finishing a project well before the deadline.

With a positive spin that never occurred to them...

With a positive spin that never occurred to them...

Yes, exactly. Sounds like you know how to play the game. All it takes is a little creativity...thinking outside the box. (And a little ass-kissing doesn't hurt either)

HokeyReligions

Be brief about yourself - something that you are working on - perhaps taking a course on communication or something. I have told people I tend to be a little to anal (yes, used that word) about some things and that I'm now aware of it and am seriously working on that. That is my example and I've never had a bad response to that - not in performance reviews or in interviews. It actually is a "worst trait" of mine and just knowing it and working on it is what impresses them. I don't say I've solved it because I haven't and they would think me arrogant if I said I have.

As a hiring manager I've asked that question in interviews and anyone who comes up with an "Oh, I WAS this but solved it" answer isn't going to 'score' over the person who looks a little sheepish and hesitant. At least those folks know they are not perfect!

Anyway, after I say something about myself, then I ask about some negataves about the position and how the company and manager are addressing those. I ask about the last person in the position, why they left, or problems they see in the future and how they are going to address them. If I've listened closely to the interviewer talk about the position so far, or I've done my own research, I should be able to ask some specific questions based on information given. I also take notes during an interview - and I sometimes use that as my 'worst trait' as in, I need to write things down to make sure I don't miss anything - especially in a new situation. I consider that a weakness because I've been very impressed by those who seem to absorb so completely the information that they can regurgitate it back seemingly effortlessly, whereas I need to have some notes with which to refer.

Those are my suggestions - you have time to think about the questions and develop your own honest answers. Managers and Interviewers can tell when someone is blowing smoke and reciting what they think is the correct answer versus an honest answer.

Yes, exactly. Sounds like you know how to play the game. All it takes is a little creativity...thinking outside the box. (And a little ass-kissing doesn't hurt either)

Who needs to ass-kiss? :D

Managers and Interviewers can tell when someone is blowing smoke and reciting what they think is the correct answer versus an honest answer.

Not if you're really good at it.;)

Yep, that and more. Pretentiousness = professionalism. I think everybody (entrepreneurs included) would like to claim they work for a grand company that's going places, perhaps accepting a lie would rather suit them than facing the facts. The world and major corporations are built on dreams - small dreams, big dreams, and even employees who dream of going places and making it big. And if they make a believer out of you, they will be the one reaping the benefits - and if they cant keep their promises to you, you're on the short end of the stick.

Well exactly. This is your leverage in the interview situation. You are competing for the job and the company is competing with other firms to recruit the best quality candidates they can get.

And I'm in total agreement with TBF don't tell them BS as much as spinned truths. We are unfortunately rarely raised to brag about ourselves but the fact is, this is your chance to do it. Preparation for the interview is all about realizing what qualities you bring to the table and how in your opinion you are the best match for the company and also how the company is a great match for you.

You're not going there asking for a job. You are offering them something.

If you tell them you don't have any faults, the interviewer will write down...arrogant or cocky.

Just tell them that you're a perfectionist. You like to do a great job no matter what. Sometimes this causes you a little extra work but you find the end result more satisfying.

Oh yeah that is a good one. I'll use that one in my next interview. I actually am a perfectionist, so I won't be lying.

I haven't had all that many interviews, but I've gotten the vast majority of jobs I've interviewed for.

Anyway, I disagree with giving them a negative that is really a positive, like the "I'm a perfectionist, or I really try hard to please people", all clearly BS and not actually answering the question. Unless the person interviewing you is an idiot, they'll see right through this. Be somewhat honest, but follow it up with how you deal with it. For me, I usually say that "If I don't have solid deadlines, I tend to procrastinate. In situations in which there isn't a definite deadline given by an outside source, I have to impose my own deadlines." (This is true by the way).

An interview is a game of confidence. I've interviewed and hired myriads of people for assorted positions.

One of my mentors had a wonderful theory which has yet to fail. You have a 50/50 chance of success rate. The more confident (not arrogant or cocky), the more likely they will succeed in an office environment. If they don't sweat during the interview, they will most likely be able to hold it together during stressful times. Of course the balance of the skills must also be present.

IAnyway, I disagree with giving them a negative that is really a positive, like the "I'm a perfectionist, or I really try hard to please people", all clearly BS and not actually answering the question.

It's not a bad answer, provided the interviewing panel haven't watched the film Trainspotting.

(Question: "Do you see yourself as having any weaknesses?")

Spud (jumping about in his seat from the effects of amphetamines): No. Well, yes. I have to admit it...Ah'm a perfectionist. For me, it's the best or nothing at all. If things go badly, Ah can't be bothered..."

The answers I've used are:

I'm a perfectionist.

I tend to be a workaholic.

Sometimes I take my work too seriously.

I would also add at the end of each of these something about how you're trying to change things a bit (but not too much).