Which do you prefer? Great Looks or Great personality

Melissa24

Storyrider

The celebrity comparisons don't work for me because I don't get the whole "scale of goodlookingness" thingie. Personality and intelligence are paramount, but sure, his looks must appeal to me. However, that doesn't mean Brad Pitt. It means something about his appearance gets under my skin in a good way, and turns me on, and there is no trait that screams "no!"

Are you single? Because I think I know the reason, if you are...

Be nice and play fair, Star... my dear :D

this is getting pathetic. Personality, sense of humor, etc all. But I don't see any of you screaming to get hooked up with Weird Al Yankovic.

Please be honest and admit that, while yes, personality can be very important, and yes, in the long run, it's probably the most important thing (i admit that about women), you all know damn well that if a guy doesn't cut it in the looks department for you the personality in question is never going to get a chance to come into play.

OK, as intense and jaded as you come across, I do have to concede that there is truth buried in the hate somewhere.

I think in order for any 2 people to connect in any way, there needs to be an initial physical attraction. This doesn't mean they have to find the other person "hot", but they do have to fall into the category of at least "pleasing to the eye" before an interaction will occur. Of course, I'm referring to interactions that aren't created by someone else, like a class or something.

So yes, there has to be a gravitation that I think is based initially on looks, before anyone can discover someone's personality. Let's face it, I think that anyone on this board that's being honset would say that if they don't find "the" person at least pleasing to the eye, it is unlikely they would approach them in a romantic way. And therefore, would never find out how great or horrible their personality is.

Let's face it, I think that anyone on this board that's being honset would say that if they don't find "the" person at least pleasing to the eye, it is unlikely they would approach them in a romantic way.

Then how do you explain ugliness. If people were only attracted to persons pleasing to the eye then all the ugly people would never get dates, never have sex, never have children and the whole human race would be nothing but beautiful people. Same goes for stupid and dull people.

honestly, I go for average looking people BECAUSE they're likely to have a better personality.

Do you think (generalizing here) a gorgeous man is going to want to take the time to woo me when he has girls at his beck and call? He's probably used to getting whatever he wants and not working for it.

Avrg looking guys are so much more likely to sweep you off your feet, and generally (i've found) have a better sense of humor.

Just my $.02

DanielMadr

Defined in science way it would be something like this.....find your algebra books kids....

In normal circumstances - not a fling or marriage crazy or desperate state situations Women prefer personality over looks in ratio 7:3.

Men on the other hand prefer looks over personality in tha same ratio, that is 7:3.

It is how we evolved. Good looks generaly mean good health, which secures healthy and strong offsprings and better chances for survival of both. Good personality means your partner will be reliable companion, which is more crucial for women for they will rely on their men more due to pregnancy.

Certain study declares that women are attracted to men with more masculine features through ovulation period. And for family life they pick men with more feminine features - more oval faces for example.

A little quiz:

rate your looks 1-10 points

rate your paersonality 1-10 points

rate your partners looks 1-10 points

rate your partners personality 1-10 points

If you are female multiple the looks points by 7 and personality points by 3 and add those numbers. And you have your overall sexappeal :)

If you are male multiple the looks points by 3 and personality points by 7 and add those numbers.And you have your overall sexappeal :)

You can substract your partner's score from your score. If you are male and you came up with number < 10 you are in serious trouble :D

socialight

that's fascinating, what is your source for that formula?

Second question to all you girls: ok, looks vs personality debate aside, how do you define a good personality? Rather than providing the same cliche answers (makes me laugh, smile, confidence, etc) please provide some specific demonstrable actions (or inactions) taken by a guy that made you think "wow, he's something different", etc all.

Then how do you explain ugliness. If people were only attracted to persons pleasing to the eye then all the ugly people would never get dates, never have sex, never have children and the whole human race would be nothing but beautiful people. Same goes for stupid and dull people.

I explain it by saying what is ugly to you is not ugly to someone else. Your standard is not everyone's standard.

I think looks are what initially draw me to someone. If they then reciprocate and we end up hooking up, I spend sometime sussing out their personality. If it all gel's together (for both of us) and we seem to connect then Bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt ~ ! ;):laugh:

DanielMadr
that's fascinating, what is your source for that formula?

Second question to all you girls: ok, looks vs personality debate aside, how do you define a good personality? Rather than providing the same cliche answers (makes me laugh, smile, confidence, etc) please provide some specific demonstrable actions (or inactions) taken by a guy that made you think "wow, he's something different", etc all.

The formula is a form of demonstrating realities of life in exact language of numbers. It would be madness to come up with some accurate formula. Most people tend to shot it down not to look "shallow". I dont think there is something bad about appreciating good looks and they cant erase the card by stating 'it is not everything'. It demonstrates that guys give looks more points than girls and girls know that.....the whole beauty industry is a proof of this.

Giving exact list of characteristics of a desirable Man is sort of difficult, its better to show on examples that everyone know. If you want to know which role models are appealing check out this thread What movie character would you date the most?

I don't see any of you screaming to get hooked up with Weird Al Yankovic.

actually, I think it would be really cool to date old Al if I were a single gal, because triteness aside, there's something about a guy who can make me laugh. Looks are really nice, but in all honesty, oomph of personality is much more important – in the dark, all men look alike, it's personality/character that separate the duds from the studs, IMO.

to the guy who floated the "hot chicks only go for hot guys" theory: You must remember that the average woman isn't a "hot chick," but considers herself attractive and knows to emphasize her strong points. And I think that after awhile with shallow hotties, women tend to prefer substance over all else. That doesn't mean we don't fantasize about wild monkey sex with the George Clooneys or Gordon Sumners of the world, but that's just fantasy. In real life, George or Gordon had better be entertaining enough to keep!

just the opinion of an old jaded lady ...

Hello everyone ,

Im new to the forum ,just joined this afternoon.

I have a question mainly for females. If you had a choice between a great looking guy who is hot ,but his personality is lacking ,or a average looking guy ,but he has a awesome personaity. Which would you prefer?

Depends on what you mean by "personality is lacking" but imo you can't have a bad personality and great looks. To me a bad personality is someone that is stupid or a jerk, you can see these traits in a man's face and it's ugly.

This may sound like a cop-out answer but for me its true: its a balance of both looks and personality.

There is a woman I know that I never found pretty, but after getting to know her it wasnt a factor at all and her looks just became 'her'. And I find her attractive now.

Also, just through discussion with people are hardly see or havent seen I find attractive. Granted I take their word on things they say, but that fact is they are and i dont have high expectation on their looks.

When you see someone without knowing them, its normal and natural to judge by looks first, and if two people are equal personality wise, the one with the better looks is probably going to be picked.

Now you could probably take an attractive personality and put it in the body of Shirley from 'Whats happening', and Im probably going to find someone else to talk to, but at the same time you can take a model that acts like a snobby b*tch or has zero personality, im not calling that one either.

Its a balance.

I dont think good looking people have any less of a great personality than the average looking person. And I think our encounters (or lack of) influences our perception that the average looking person have more attractive personalities VS the good looking person, and how long the person actually takes to open up (being themselves in a comfortable environment) also factors in.

I believe we take notice of this more with good looking people because in most cases we focus more attention and favor being in the presence on that person initially...and with that said, we DO build higher expectations of them before they open their mouths because we associate them with positive stereotypes. But in any case, I've met many average girls who didnt have much of a personality or were too quiet/shy to even display it, but i've also met some with great personalities also.

But I think generally some good looking people are so used to people seeking their attention, that they barely have to open up their personality to pull them in. While on the other hand the average person has to make an extra effort to make people gravitate towards him/her.

And dont forget beauty is subjective. My scale of an 8 is probably different from everyone else's on this board. what someone finds attractive , the other could find average.

cuteblondegurl

Looks are important and so is the personality. However, if a guy is hot but he's a complete A** that would be a turn-off for me. I think we are all looking for the perfect package of looks, personality, etc. But unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way.

Looks are important and so is the personality. However, if a guy is hot but he's a complete A** that would be a turn-off for me.

well CBG you basically have a choice between hot guy who is jerk and nice guy who is fat and nerdy. you'll most likely choose the former.

well CBG you basically have a choice between hot guy who is jerk and nice guy who is fat and nerdy. you'll most likely choose the former.

Thats right because all the guys that she would consider "hot" would be a jerks.:rolleyes:

Why does the nice guy have to be fat and nerdy and the hot guy a jerk? :(

What about a hot guy who's nice? :D

SadandConfusedWA

The problem is, lots of men think that they have great personality when in fact they don't.

But yeah, for me personality all the way. I have dumped/turned down extremly hot guys that were dumb and shallow. My longest realtionship was with a guy who was slightly overweight, shorter than me, almost balding but he had a fantastic personality.

burning 4 revenge

By personality women usually either mean money or penis-size. They don't mean what men mean, they don't think as much as they feel. That's what makes them women

By personality women usually either mean money or penis-size. They don't mean what men mean, they don't think as much as they feel. That's what makes them women

:laugh::rolleyes:

You doing alright B4R? Haven't seen you around lately.

Yeah, none of us "feel". We're all so damned superficial. Money and penis size..that's all we're concerned about.

Not really, we need a whole hell of a lot more than THAT! Sheesh...money and penis size is just a given in my book. That's only the beginning.

Does that make me superficial?

But what about men? They want beauty, intelligence, sanity, etc. etc. Don't you have your requirements? Or would you just settle for any old slut who would blow you upon your first meeting? (Wait..don't anwer that!)

I just read that again. We don't think as much as we feel?

What does that mean? Does that mean we're not as superficial as you think we are?

If we only went with our thoughts and not with our feelings, I think the population explosion would be a non-issue.

burning 4 revenge
Yeah, none of us "feel". We're all so damned superficial. Money and penis size..that's all we're concerned about.

Not really, we need a whole hell of a lot more than THAT! Sheesh...money and penis size is just a given in my book. That's only the beginning.

Does that make me superficial?

But what about men? They want beauty, intelligence, sanity, etc. etc. Don't you have your requirements? Or would you just settle for any old slut who would blow you upon your first meeting? (Wait..don't anwer that!)

Not any old slut, no, but I think I give personality more priority than most women do in the pure sense.

I know we'll never come to an agreement about it, but I honestly think that men are far less superficial than women. If personality was such a great commodity then I'd have women beating down my door

If personality was such a great commodity then I'd have women beating down my door

Really. You think so, after posting this little gem?

Originally Posted by burning 4 revenge...