Pre-emptive marriage counseling...

• Author
Curmudgeon
A married man lives in a state of constant fear that his marriage will end...

Let me see here. I'm married. I have no fear, whatsoever, about my wife leaving me. I wonder what I'm missing.

In fact, my wife has made it very clear there are only two things that would cause her to leave our marriage. One is infidelity which is a deal-breaker for both of us. The other is that I'd have to shoot her.

We waited the better part of 50 years for one another, had a five year friendship before our first date and love one another madly.

I think we're good to go and to do so together.

I'm truly sorry you live in such fear. That can't be pleasant!

whichwayisup

Many people get depressed once retired, too much time on their hands and they don't know what to do, alone and also with their spouse.

Enjoy your time together, be silly, date and make out! Travel and spend time with family and friends.

PS sorry about my threadjack earlier...

• Author
Curmudgeon
He also mentioned that she was a feminist from the 70s which already means that she has a negative view of men and marriage so this is not looking good.

You must have missed the part where, somewhere, I said that feminism has been corrupted since it began in the

'60s and early '70s. In my wife's day it was never about man vs. woman or man-hating. It was about workplace equality in opportunity and pay, getting credit and, overall, breaking the glass ceiling.

• Author
Curmudgeon
*Riddler bows down to a4a.*

Curmudgeon does too!

whichwayisup
It was about workplace equality in opportunity and pay, getting credit and, overall, breaking the glass ceiling.

To me, that is what feminism is about. Equality. Not about what Cur mentioned, men vs women, and man hating. Those man hating feminists are EXTREMISTS and they do NOT represent every single woman in the world. Not even close!

• Author
Curmudgeon
Many people get depressed once retired, too much time on their hands and they don't know what to do, alone and also with their spouse.

Enjoy your time together, be silly, date and make out! Travel and spend time with family and friends.

PS sorry about my threadjack earlier...

My parents vegetated and foundered once my father retired and that's a "lesson" I'll never forget. My wife and I DO enjoy our time together, have at least one date night a week and go and do together on weekends.

Travel, visiting (children and grandchildren in three different states) and having adventures decidedly on the menu!

No problem about the threadjack. Someone here needs far more help with his marriage than I do.

Curmudgeon is DA MAN! :love:

Don't mess with him. He's got the lion's share (ha ha ha) of wisdom and experience.

If all men were like him, there would be a lot fewer broken hearts.

Don't take this the wrong way, Curmudgeon. You're the same age as my dad. :lmao:;) Actually a year older I think...

My wife and I are in this marriage for the long-haul and any tool that will keep it running smoothly, or even make it better, is not to be discounted.

would it be too generalized a comment to say that those people who have something to fear about relationship treat marriage counselling or enrichment programs as a means to an end, while those with a healthier view of things liken it to a routine maintenance to ensure a smoother running relationship?

• Author
Curmudgeon
Don't take this the wrong way, Curmudgeon. You're the same age as my dad. :lmao:;) Actually a year older I think...

A man in my office who had a stroke almost a year ago and in the process of treating him they discovered cancer. He's the sixth or seventh person in my agency who's died within the past two years -- two women and the rest men. All have been in their 50s. All have been friends.

Long ago I said that the secret to long life is to survive your 50s. I've done so and celebrate being 60, almost 61, every chance I get.

I take little if anything the wrong way. Cherish your father. He's just about home-free!

• Author
Curmudgeon
would it be too generalized a comment to say that those people who have something to fear about relationship treat marriage counselling or enrichment programs as a means to an end, while those with a healthier view of things liken it to a routine maintenance to ensure a smoother running relationship?

Even the most expensive and most finely engineered cars need a tune-up, oil change and lube job on occasion. Why should relationships be any different?

kitesurfer
No they don't always follow that pattern.

Like me.......

First sign of unhappiness I clam up, act like everything is peachy...... all the time building my exit plan.

You never know when the woman can just disappear. That's how they are, not all of them go out screaming and kicking, some quietly work there way out and POOF they are gone - and they take all YOUR stuff with them.

Best watch it Wog, you could be next.... odds are you will be..... older women are more likely to be set in their own ways, and wise enough not to bother with "kickin' and screamin' ".

I mean come on do you tell a person you plan on breaking into their house and taking all their crap....... hell no. Not if you are wiser and smarter. You just go in and go out.

I bet money that Woggles marriage doesnt last another 2 years..... 80% chance of it..........:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I am just waiting for this house to be paid off....... so I get my half.....then POOF I am outta here.

my x wife did exactly tht to me--exactly 1 year and 12 days ago! we were married on close to 8 years. been through counseling at 2 years and in counseling for 3 months when the "walk away wife" split. i hand no idea it was coming. looking back at the signs, she had been planning the logistics of her escape for many months and telling me she loved me every step of the way. a trrue deceipt!

• Author
Curmudgeon
...she had been planning the logistics of her escape for many months...

Only it was the ex and she already had someone on the side which made it even easier for her to leave after 25 years.

If it wouldn't have been so tacky I'd have sent her a thank you card.

It was the best gift she ever gave me! My life has been ever so much better since!