What do I say or do?

• Author
amaysngrace
Alpha is right. It's not the drug, it's the habit. That said, alcohol does not help psychiatric conditions, make him switch to pot, it's comparatively harmless and can actually help.

He won't do anything illegal.

Prozac should only be taken in extreme cases. It f*cks with your brain, and nobody really knows how it works. The way doctors prescribe it as if it was vitamin, it is more of a social drug. It is soma, as in Huxleys Brave New World.

He won't do anything illegal.

In some states, pot can be prescribed legally. You'd have to check the internet. And pot does not work on all psychiatric conditions, mind you, sometimes it makes things worse. But it's worth a try.

• Author
amaysngrace
And pot does not work on all psychiatric conditions, mind you, sometimes it makes things worse. But it's worth a try.

He did use pot before in his 20s. And he hated the affect it had on him.

I just called him and left a voicemail. I told him whatever he decides I've decided would be okay with me. That I think he's too special to get rid of so easily. And that I love him.

Prozac should only be taken in extreme cases. It f*cks with your brain, and nobody really knows how it works. The way doctors prescribe it as if it was vitamin, it is more of a social drug. It is soma, as in Huxleys Brave New World.

that being said....Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors have changed millions of lives for the better. The next class of drugs will be even better and then next class even better than that. Pharmaceuticals can be an iterative process also...

In some states, pot can be prescribed legally. You'd have to check the internet. And pot does not work on all psychiatric conditions, mind you, sometimes it makes things worse. But it's worth a try.

Reefer madness has not been shown to help any psychiatric illness I know of.

OK. And I am not a doctor, you'd probably want professional advice. Just be aware, that doctors' real clients are not their patients, but the drug companies.

It is not my intention to proselytise for medical cannabis, but maybe you should check the internet. You can get tablets that does not make you stoned, but still have some of the beneficial effects of cannabis. It's mostly used for pain treatment, though, maybe it wont work in this case.

Doctors and drug companies hate cannabis, because it is a weed; you can grow it in your garden and you can't patent it. No money in cannabis.

• Author
amaysngrace
It is not my intention to proselytise for medical cannabis, but maybe you should check the internet. You can get tablets that does not make you stoned, but still have some of the beneficial effects of cannabis.

The pill form of pot is called marinol or something.

He says he uses the alcohol to stop the thoughts that churn in his head. The main problem with that is he's an alcoholic. So it's not medicine but poison for him.

I think that he has 2 problems unrelated to one another..

He has OCD.. He needs to get that under control and by the sounds of it he is going to see the doctor to do that.

I also know that Alcoholism is a denial based disease.. meaning that the Alcoholic will deny that he is an Alcoholic and create every excuse in the world for a reason to drink.

He is using his OCD to Drink..he stopped taking his Prozac because he needed an excuse to get drunk...

He needs help with his Alcoholism otherwise he will just go back to not taking Prozac so he can drink again.

• Author
amaysngrace
I think that he has 2 problems unrelated to one another..

He has OCD.. He needs to get that under control and by the sounds of it he is going to see the doctor to do that.

I also know that Alcoholism is a denial based disease.. meaning that the Alcoholic will deny that he is an Alcoholic and create every excuse in the world for a reason to drink.

He is using his OCD to Drink..he stopped taking his Prozac because he needed an excuse to get drunk...

He needs help with his Alcoholism otherwise he will just go back to not taking Prozac so he can drink again.

Thank you so much Art. XO

ehhh. Grace I would not travel down this road. Unless you are seriously in love with this guy.

You are setting yourself up to be responsible for him. If you are simply staying with him out of guilt then it is not fair to either of you.

How many more episodes are you looking at in the future? This guy is a yo yo?

Are you really into him, or are you being taking for a guilt trip here?

• Author
amaysngrace
ehhh. Grace I would not travel down this road. Unless you are seriously in love with this guy.

You are setting yourself up to be responsible for him. If you are simply staying with him out of guilt then it is not fair to either of you.

How many more episodes are you looking at in the future? This guy is a yo yo?

Are you really into him, or are you being taking for a guilt trip here?

It's too late...I'm already on this road.

And this is the heart of the reason I try to convince myself it's too much work. That I should just let it go. But I can't. I would feel really bad to give up on him, it's sort of become my selfless purpose or something.

I know that sounds bizarre but I just don't want to throw him out. Too many other people in his life have done that to him.

And he is a great guy. Never once have I said anything to the contrary or ever once denied that I anything less than loved the man.

What should I say or do to let him know I'm here for him?

you should see a movie called Dirty Filthy Love which is about relationships and OCD. Its actually quite funny in parts. I saw it last year on Canadian TV.

It's too late...I'm already on this road.

Let his actions dictate your path and be your compass.. You have already given the ultimatum.. Stick to it..

If he doesn't get on meds and control his OCD.. out he goes..

He does need help with his drinking.. if he gets on meds and stops drinking that doesn't mean he still doesn't have the drinking problem.

He needs to deal with that also..

So.. if he refuses to seek help for his drinking problem then out he goes..

Like I said.. let his cations guide your path.. just stick to your guns and allow no more instability into your life from him right now.

• Author
amaysngrace

See this is what conflicts me. Alpha says don't turn your back on him because he's OCD. And I agree.

But the alcoholism is something I should shut the door on and walk away. Tough love and all.

So there's two different approaches for two different problems. And they totally contradict one another. :confused:

dropdeadlegs

AG, maybe I am misinterpreting your dilemma. What I am hearing is that you will support him in any case, and I question that decision. You have the right to NOT be involved with someone who has a treatable illness, yet chooses to self medicate in the worst possible way. If his condition is hurting, him, you, and the two of you as a couple, why should you have to stand by him if he chooses to remain in his current state? You already know that's not working for you, so why continue?

Prozac can't be the only option if he has had problems with side affects in the past. It does affect libido, even in the smallest dose. But, there are lots of other medications, and lots of dosage options. Psychiatric drugs seem to all have side affects that are bothersome, but you have to weigh the good results against the bad results. Weight loss/gain, dry mouth, drowsiness/speediness, feeling like a zombie...these are pretty common, but OCD has to be worse than all of those put together. Finding the right drug and the correct dosage takes a long time. Drinking while taking antidepressants is a really bad idea, too. Is he ready to give up the drinking?

I can understand being supportive, but I don't see anything wrong with demanding some changes or you are history. The past is a pretty good indicator of the future, and your past with this man has proven that it won't work without significant changes. Ideally he should do it for himself, but some people can make positive changes in the name of doing it for someone else. Once the changes provide positive results, the changed person can clearly see the benefits of continuing even if the person they originally were doing it for is no longer part of their life.

Or am I misunderstanding the situation?

• Author
amaysngrace

Or am I misunderstanding the situation?

No, you've got it pretty good. But the one thing that cannot be overlooked is the fact that he's suicidal. So I need to tread really lightly on my approach here because words mean everything to this guy. He dwells on them.(OCD)

And he gets suicidal when I want to break up. So how do I go about making my demands heard when it can cause this man to attempt suicide?

Needless to say, it's no wonder why I found him to be a rather interesting fella! ;)

dropdeadlegs
No, you've got it pretty good. But the one thing that cannot be overlooked is the fact that he's suicidal. So I need to tread really lightly on my approach here because words mean everything to this guy. He dwells on them.(OCD)

And he gets suicidal when I want to break up. So how do I go about making my demands heard when it can cause this man to attempt suicide?

Needless to say, it's no wonder why I found him to be a rather interesting fella! ;)

Oh boy....AG, you tell it like it is, so I'm going to step up onto my soapbox and tell it like it is from my POV.

You cannot accept responsibility for any suicidal tendencies he may or may not have. This is something you have no control over. You cannot cause him to kill himself and you cannot stop him either. You can't stop the "voices in his head."

Frankly, if the situation is that bad, you need to step back, way back, and let some pros handle this guy. If he needs a padded room and a straight jacket, you are way out of your league. He needs to be committed if suicide is part of the equation.

You are getting roped in, my dear. Untie yourself.

You are jumping into a pit with this guy..... you're asking for more drama and misery.

How many years are you going to put up with it until you have had enough?

He has some serious issues that need to be addressed by professionals.

You cannot accept responsibility for any suicidal tendencies he may or may not have. This is something you have no control over. You cannot cause him to kill himself and you cannot stop him either. You can't stop the "voices in his head."

tsk tsk DDL...this is a terrible statement. He is crying out for help. Threats of suicide should always be taken seriously. One cannot just blow this off....that would be irresponsible at best and gross negligence at worst.

tsk tsk DDL...this is a terrible statement. He is crying out for help. Threats of suicide should always be taken seriously. One cannot just blow this off....that would be irresponsible at best and gross negligence at worst.

yeah I kinda agree with that...... she should drop him off at the local hospital.

dropdeadlegs

I don't think it is a terrible statement at all, Alpha. I agree that it should be taken seriously, but even if AG is a licensed professional, it would be unethical to treat him herself.

No one is responsible for the suicide of another person. Yes he needs help, PROFESSIONAL help. Do you not agree that he should be committed if he is suicidal?

dropdeadlegs
You can't take responsibility for a suicidal. All too often, it is emotional blackmail.

That's the term I have been trying to put my fingers on. It is emotional blackmail. I don't advocate telling a suicidal person to go ahead and do it, but I can't be convinced that anyone can be held responsible for someone choosing to take their own life. Urging them to get help, or having them involuntarily committed is all the responsibility one can accept.